The Wearin' o' the Purple (Lavender Whip, etc.)

panda0410

I LOVE LW
bigheart.gif
It was love at first sight...LOL... but I must admit, it does look vastly more pink on me than purple, same with Fashion Mews!

I have been looking for a nice lilac/lavender blush, but to no avail
ssad.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
ssad.gif

They're very difficult to find.
The only The only suggestion I can make is that you try to locate a source for the La Femme line, which offers just about every blush color imaginable, including purples and lilacs.
My own personal recent purple story: When Night Violet came out with the original Mattene collection, I considered it, but wrote it off as "too dark for me," and forgot about it.
However, this fall I became possessed of the idea of finding the perfect deep-but-wearable purple plum lipstick.
Off to Makeup Alley I went, and found rave reviews for Night Violet, including one that featured these words: " If you are looking for a perfect and wearable deep plum wine color for this season, definitely check this out ..."
Of course, I immediately sped to the MAC site, only to see those terrible words "SOLD OUT."
"Oh, well,"I thought. "I'll just have to find something else."
But when I dreamt that night about buying Night Violet, I knew I *had* to get it somehow.
I phoned MAC in the morning, and was cheerfully informed that yeah, they have Night Violet, so I ordered one.
I can hardly wait until it gets here!
drools.gif

Sojourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
ssad.gif

Me too!!!

They are hard to find
th_wallbash.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner
Me too!!!

They are hard to find
th_wallbash.gif

Have a look at this.
However, unless your eyes are considerably sharper than mine, you may need to look here, too, just to see the color names.
The only La Femme one I've tried is Orchid Ice, and it really isn't purple at all.
At least so far, my best purple blush option has been Ben Nye Dry Cheek Rouge (really just a tremendously pigmented powder blush) in Passion Purple.
It's African violet purple, so I mix it with other shades to get plum, lilac, etc.
I can't recall immediately where I got it, but if you're seriously interested, feel free to PM me.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cno64
I can hardly wait until it gets here!
drools.gif

Forget the waiting; it's already here!
yahoo.gif

I haven't had a chance to apply my Night Violet properly yet, but even just dabbed on the lips with a finger tip it's beautiful.
It's not for the faint of heart, because it *is* very deep.
If you want a deep purple wine color, though, go for this one!

MissBrittB87

I am absolutely in love with the "purple" lipstick trend. I don't know why but I seem to be able to pull off a decent amount of lip colors. Don't laugh but I think it's because I have little to no pigmentation so I'm like a blank white canvas,LMAO!

Sojourner

Quote:
Have a look at this.
However, unless your eyes are considerably sharper than mine, you may need to look here, too, just to see the color names.
The only La Femme one I've tried is Orchid Ice, and it really isn't purple at all.
At least so far, my best purple blush option has been Ben Nye Dry Cheek Rouge (really just a tremendously pigmented powder blush) in Passion Purple.
It's African violet purple, so I mix it with other shades to get plum, lilac, etc.
I can't recall immediately where I got it, but if you're seriously interested, feel free to PM me.

Thank you so much
thmbup.gif

At first I did actually try to read the small names in the the first link you posted but it didn't work hehe and then I realised what the second link was for
th_loser.gif
I'm going to check MUA reviews...looks promising!

The Ben Nye Passion Purple...can it be worn alone or does it need to be mixed to tone it down? African violet purple sounds like it's very dark and doesn't have red tones (which is a good thing IMO)...is that right?

TIA!!!

cno64

Quote:

The Ben Nye Passion Purple...can it be worn alone or does it need to be mixed to tone it down? African violet purple sounds like it's very dark and doesn't have red tones (which is a good thing IMO)...is that right?

TIA!!!

Passion Purple ...
It's a very difficult color to describe, and I think "deep magenta/purple" is about the best I can do. The pink tones are very minimal, just enough to keep the color from looking "bruise-y."
It's a very clear color, which I like; there are NO brown tones, not much pink/red, no wine, just straight up PURPLE. In fact, it comes pretty close to matching the color of that font. I'll try to take a photo in the near future, since that might help.
I wear PP alone all the time, applied with a soft fan brush on skin that's been evenly powdered so that the blush color doesn't "grab." PP is incredibly pigmented, far more so than any other powder blush I've ever encountered. In fact, it has a cushy, almost creamy feel. It will even stain your fingers if you run your finger across it.
You *can* mix PP with other colors, such as light pinks, to get a lilac/lavender shade.
However, if you have a good brush and are fairly deft, PP can certainly be worn alone.

BTW, here is where I got mine.
You can look at this for a semi-helpful color chart.

Sojourner

Well, you've sold it to me
tong.gif
Since it's not expensive it's no problem if it doesn't work out! There is a swatch of it in the Ben Nye swatches thread but it looks pinky purple there:

http://www.specktra.net/forum/f217/b...atches-109872/

I checked the reviews for the La Femme ones, the reviews are really good but I keep hearing plum and pink in the descriptions...plum to my mind is a reddish purple and those look bad on me and pink, well I've got too much of those blushes hehe...thank you so much for your help, you've been a sweetie!

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrittB87
I am absolutely in love with the "purple" lipstick trend.

SOO am I!
In fact, I rather think I started it!
lol.gif

As long as I can remember, I've gravitated toward purple-toned lip colors.
I guess my first was Bow Belle Lipglass, which really wasn't all that purple. I am even not above putting the barest touch of Violet pigment in my gloss to add a bit more purple.
Then it was Odyssey lipstick, which I like, but that is a bit too muted for my taste.
Then, in spring of last year, I took a deep breath and bought Violetta, and it was LOOOOOVE!
love.gif
I didn't hesitate to jump on Lavender Whip, and I'm glad I was able to get it, since it quickly became difficult to find.
Then it was Quick Tease gloss, then Fast Friends gloss.
Yesterday I acquired Night Violet Mattene, and I'm smitten with that one, too.
I think I can do purple lipstick because I have skin that has enough pink in it to keep me looking "healthy," and I'm blessed enough to have naturally full, well-shaped lips, which never hurts.
blush-anim-cl.gif

cno64

Quote:
Well, you've sold it to me
tong.gif
Since it's not expensive it's no problem if it doesn't work out! There is a swatch of it in the Ben Nye swatches thread but it looks pinky purple there:

http://www.specktra.net/forum/f217/b...atches-109872/

I checked the reviews for the La Femme ones, the reviews are really good but I keep hearing plum and pink in the descriptions...plum to my mind is a reddish purple and those look bad on me and pink, well I've got too much of those blushes hehe...thank you so much for your help, you've been a sweetie!

There are only two Makeup Alley reviews for Passion Purple. The top one is mine, and the other one, written by a very nice lady who's a professional makeup artist, is really spot-on.
In fact, she's the one responsible for me finding Passion Purple.
I know what you mean about plum blush; there are a zillion of them out there, and they just won't do if you want purple.
Of course, pinks are a dime a dozen!

cno64

Quote:
Speaking of purple: I am looking for a deep-but-not-blackish purple plum lipstick, preferably MAC.
I have Odyssey, and that's close, but it's just a tad too "muddy."
Suggestions, anyone?

Never mind.
I took a deep breath, bought Night Violet, and it's perfect.
It can easily go goth-ish if I'm not careful, but for the most part I adore it.
eyelove.gif

cno64

A recent discovery of mine is Date Night Dazzleglass.
I'd considered it before, but figured as long as I have Funtabulous, I didn't need Date Night.
Nope. Date Night is considerably deeper; I'm loving it over Night Violet right now.
Date Night is similar in color to my beloved Violetta lipstick; it's almost like Violetta in Dazzleglass form.
Purple-lover that I am, I don't know how I lived without Date Night for so long!

MissBrittB87

Quote:
Never mind.
I took a deep breath, bought Night Violet, and it's perfect.
It can easily go goth-ish if I'm not careful, but for the most part I adore it.
eyelove.gif

I want to get Night Violet....I've seen it on alot of people and it looks good on a bunch of different skin tones. But I agree...it could easily go gothish and that just doesn't suit me. How do you wear it...?

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrittB87
I want to get Night Violet....I've seen it on alot of people and it looks good on a bunch of different skin tones. But I agree...it could easily go gothish and that just doesn't suit me. How do you wear it...?

Veddy carefully, especially since I'm NW15.
I do the following:
Lightly apply Urban Decay lip stain in
"Spank," so that my lips won't look "patchy" as Night Violet wears.
Apply balm.
Apply a generous coat of Night Violet, and try not to cringe.
winks.gif

Kiss a tissue like I'm madly in love with it.
Line sparingly with MAC Plum pencil.
Apply a lighter coat of Night Violet, just to even things out, and blot that lightly.
Apply Date Night Dazzleglass over all.
It's still a strong lip, but wearable.

Meisje

I think they're fine, but they look like CRAP on me. Me and purple and lips = no. I always see the tube, and think (ohhh pretty) and put it on and it's so bad that even the MAC person squinted her eyes a little like she was in pain and told me that probably blue-toned lips were not for me.

th_LMAO.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisje
I always see the tube, and think (ohhh pretty) and put it on and it's so bad that even the MAC person squinted her eyes a little like she was in pain and told me that probably blue-toned lips were not for me.

Ooops, sounds like purple-y lips really aren't for you ...
cry.gif

What shade did the MAC person try on you, anyhow?

But you can undoubtedly wear shades that *I* look wretched in, like peach/oranges.
Lollipop Loving looked so gorgeous, and so many people loved it, that I found myself wanting to want it, but I just didn't.
My face + coral = Welcome to Sallow City.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septemba
I'd love to experiment with some lilac/violet blushes. I saw a picture of Liv Tyler wearing the shade and it was incredibly beautiful.

I came across some very favorable Makeup Alley reviews of Makeup Forever blushes, among them No.9, a vibrant lilac purple.
Sephora.com offers this shade, and I intend to buy it soon!
I'll come back to this thread to let you all know what I think after I get it.
th_drool.gif

Honey xOo

I <3 light frosty or irredescent purple lipsticks and glosses. I love blending them with nude glosses and lipsticks for a different sexy look.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey xOo
I I love blending them with nude glosses and lipsticks for a different sexy look.

I prefer to wear mine full strength, or lightly blotted.
Full-on purple is not everybody's taste, of course, but I like it.