What do you know of the Netherlands???

user2

*g* I heard a lot of stuff about the drugs laws and how many people go to the Netherlands to buy cannabis and stuff like that....and I heard that Amsterdam has millions of bicycles...and that its a very flat country...and that you have a lot of cheese and trailors...(jeez I hate prejudices....)

Sanne

well...to start with, we do not have that much trailers, but the rest is kinda true.

cannabis is legal here, and I heard of an englishman, that there are less people using it here, then there are in england. according to him, everybody was high on it... (in england that is) by legalizing it, it just brings back crime, and I don't believe that our users rates are much higher that in any other country...

we have a lot of cheese(yummy!)and we have three hills in the whole country (the highest is like 350/400 meters high) so we are NOT flat
rofl.gif

when I go to amsterdam, I'll make a pic of the bicycle parkingstand next to the trainstation...you'll be amazed!

Luthien

I know that one of my favorite actors, Rutger Hauer, is from The Netherlands. Got a crush on him watching "Ladyhawke" back when I was a kid, and I still think he's pretty darn cool.
smiles.gif

Sanne

singingmysong,the shetlands pony's are from the shetlandislands, near England

OMG, Luthien, you know Rutger Hauer?! how cool!! Famke Jansen is also a dutchy!

And you can get freaky in amsterdam
greengrin.gif

Hey chelsea, are we related?!?!

singinmys0ng

Quote:

oh! lol well thanks for telling me..that does make a lot of sense haha..and i was wondering..is it cold there year round?

Chelsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by melozburngr
I know that if you aint dutch, you aint much! :p lol (I live in West Michigan where EVERYONE is Dutch.)

hahaha my family says that all the time too

Chelsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupie

OMG, Luthien, you know Rutger Hauer?! how cool!! Famke Jansen is also a dutchy!

And you can get freaky in amsterdam
greengrin.gif

Hey chelsea, are we related?!?!

I donn, are we?!?1 lol.. my last name is van tol

Sanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by singinmys0ng
Quote:

oh! lol well thanks for telling me..that does make a lot of sense haha..and i was wondering..is it cold there year round?

No, but it's raining a lot, and the summers have mostly 2 weeks of real heat and there's one or two weeks of snow/frost.

chelsea, van tol is a dutch name
greengrin.gif

mspixieears

That in Amsterdam, there are double decker trains; there are labs funded by the government where you can get your ecstasy tested to make sure you don't have Es mixed with crap that can kill you; Dutch people speak excellent English; heaps of people ride bikes; The Hague is its' actual capital; they once owned Surinam, former Dutch Guiana in South America (next to my father's country); it is one of the best places in the world to study early music performance (I play an instrument called the viola da gamba, and you can study it there); euthanasia was once legal there?

It's an extremely socially progressive country - go Netherlands!

I tried to mention things no one else had before. Correct me if I've got something wrong!

Sanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspixieears
That in Amsterdam, there are double decker trains; there are labs funded by the government where you can get your ecstasy tested to make sure you don't have Es mixed with crap that can kill you; Dutch people speak excellent English; heaps of people ride bikes; The Hague is its' actual capital; they once owned Surinam, former Dutch Guiana in South America (next to my father's country); it is one of the best places in the world to study early music performance (I play an instrument called the viola da gamba, and you can study it there); euthanasia was once legal there?

It's an extremely socially progressive country - go Netherlands!

I tried to mention things no one else had before. Correct me if I've got something wrong!

you had it all right! those test labs were located near a big houseparty. It was nog to stop people from taking drugs (that would probably be impossible) but they hope to prevent someones death.

the trains, wow, that's normal to me, don't you guys have that? we have them in the whole country, not just amsterdam.

and exept for suriname and dutch guinea we also had big parts of indonesia, but that's years ago!!!

we also have legal abortion, I know many countries do not have that yet. and the worst: in Amsterdam there's a prostitute district, where the prostitudes are behind windows. we tolerate prostitution at some locations in our country.

feebee

I know that when we were on holidays in Spain we only had Dutch tv for some reason, so we used to watch Gute Zeiten Schlechte Zeiten! (sp?)

Oh and Netherlands knocked Ireland out of the 1994 World Cup!