What do you know of the Netherlands???

Sanne

Gute Zeiten Schlechte Zeiten is the german version of our dutch soap goede tijden, slechte tijden. (it means: good times, Bad times)

I know that english speaking people can't see the difference between dutch an german (the laguage I mean). duthc people can say 's' (as in say) and german usually pronounce it as a 'sj'

feebee

aah i see! it was the german version so!

I did German in school so i really should know the difference
oh.gif
ops:

Sanne

Really?? I know they have very good pancakes (I went to amsterdam by train w/ my boyfriend, and we made a stop @ schiphol for pancakes
greengrin.gif
)

I know they have a taxfree section, but I though every airport had one?

feebee

mmm pancakes! 8)

yep every airport has a duty free, but in schiphol they had different cosmetic items on special offer every week (we used to go over often for work)... so every time you went there were different bargains to be bought!! :p

Sanne

cool
greengrin.gif
I didn't fly much in my life (2x) and the last time was 6 years ago... back than I didn't even own a mascara, and so I've never looked.. *slapping my face*

feebee

I hate flying, I get really scared, so I always buy some make up in the airport as a treat
th_wink3.gif
They have a new mac store in Dublin airport its great!

I even check in a bit early so i'll have more time to shop!
oh.gif
ops:

Sanne

ooo that's bad
greengrin.gif
I knew heathrow had a macstore in it! but it's pretty cool that the macstres are taking over the airports.. yay for MAC!

I can't wait to go to englands this summer: I wanna go to sephora, to MAC's prostore and I wanna exchange my empties!! I have 35 now..I just need one for the sixth lipstick... and I don't even wear lipstick
greengrin.gif

feebee

i exchanged 36 empties this weekend and got 6 lipsticks! (well i got 3 and i gave three to my mum
angelic.gif
)
I depotted all my eyeshadows and put them into my palettes so had lots of empty containers.

I have two spare empties if you want that last one i could send it to you!

Bianca

I am from the Netherlands too!!! I live in Lelystad, you don't wanna go near there....

I'm in Amsterdam everyday because my work is there.

Juneplum

weellll dh and i went to europe last year and visited paris, belgium AND holland! we stayed at the sofitel in amsterdam and i swear holland has THE BEST whipped cream, ice cream, CHEESE and chocolate EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! we had awesome sundaes at this ice cream place (can't remember the name) and MY WORD was it YUMMY!!!!!!! LOVE chocolate so we stocked up in holland and brussels! had a GREAT time and everyone was SOOOO nice to us!!

Sanne

Feebee, thanks for your offer but I'll get the last empty in time, probably 6 more
greengrin.gif

Really chelsea, I didn't know that, I thought is was a couple of western country's but my dad told me it was only ireland who do not allow it.. Am I right this time?

mspixieears

I think there are so many good things about your country. It's so damn progressive.

Double-decker trains in Australia? They have them in Sydney, and some in Melbourne, but the population isn't really big enough to warrant them building them.

Re. legalised abortions, I don't think one can get one for any old reason per se - in Australia it states that if it is thought that it will be physically or mentally harmful for an unwanted pregnancy to reach full termination to either the mother and/or the child, then it can be carried out. I imagine that anyone wanting one is going to claim that this is applicable to their case. I've never heard of anyone being refused one though.

Please don't read that and think that I'm saying that some people don't have the right to claim the above; it's just I'm assuming that there are some people in the world who would actually be able see a pregnancy through to full-term, but choose not to. The last thing in the world I'd want to do is offend anyone here - each person has the right to decide what they do, it it their body after all.

Abortion is still illegal in Portugal.

Changing the topic...

Did anyone mention clogs? Or Delft plates???

8)

GoldieLox

i dont really know anything..

Although i am dutch on my dad side. his moms maiden name was holland. hah.

my grandma told me that in the netherlands they have alot of river/canal things and a lot of shops and businesses are on boats and people ride their bikes to work then they hang the bikes off the side of the boats in the water. is that true?

also she said there is a lot of doggie poop. ahah.

Sanne

well, we don't hang our bikes onto boats, unless it's on their boathouse. we so have tons of canals in city's, and we do have many boat trips you can take to show the city from the water.

wow you guys know delft plates?? most of the real delft blue china is made in 'de porceleyne fles' (that means china bottle) and even though I only live 5 km away from it, I have never been there.(shameshame!) my boyfriend wants to take some of his amsterdam coworkers to it, so I just join them an pretend I've been there
greengrin.gif

and the dogpoop...gross, we have a lot of that too...

cho0chylan3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspixieears
there are labs funded by the government where you can get your ecstasy tested to make sure you don't have Es mixed with crap that can kill you;

Actually in the US at raves there's this organization that will do free testing on pills to see if there's anything mixed with them. http://dancesafe.org/

I've actually been to the Netherlands. It was about 5 or 6 years ago but still. I'd love to go back. We went to Amsterdam and Rotterdam(by train only for a day). I <3 it there. There were SO many bikes every where and i loved all the canals and boats. We visited Erasmus(my mom works with education programs helping low income students get into and through college she works with programs like Upward Bound, Student Support Services, etc). She took me to the redlight district(i was 12 mind you). I loved seeing all the tulips in the markets and the clogs and the white and blue pottery we actually bought a lot of it(delfte is it?). We also went to Anne Franks house.. that was absolutely amazing. Yeah i think i've said enough. I'd love to go back though.