what perfume makes you sick to smell...yuck!

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
chanel no. 5 eau de toilette
ohboy.gif
Agreed! Makes my eyes burn and gives me a headache, besides smelling horrible, lol. Other Chanel fragrances as well, but that one is the worst.
Then again, I dislike probably 98% of all perfumes, synthetic scents just rarely smell good to me and I'm allergic to a lot of them.

morenomua

ugh I absolutely hate Prada Candy. I tried it on in sephora and by the time I got home I was on the verge of vomiting it made me so sick

discrepancy

Prada Candy, Joy by Jean Patou (synthetic rose mixed with cat piss, no thank you), and the jury's still out on Chanel Chance. I got a bottle as an awkward self-hating teen and somehow the damn thing survived three moves, so I broke the stupid unkillable thing out to try it again. It went from "GET THAT CRAP AWAY FROM ME" to "Not sure if want," so I guess that's an improvement. Maybe in another seventeen years I'll actually like it.

beachyt

I've never come across a perfume that made me want to retch but almost anything that is purely floral gives me a horrible headache within seconds. I don't even have to have smelled it up close; it happens just walking by someone wearing too much or past a perfume counter.

Also, I can't be the only one who gets really irritated with how hard it is to actually smell/buy perfume or fragrances in stores. Sephora isn't so bad because they keep out the coffee beans (though I sometimes swear they've expired and smell like nothing) and most of the time sales staff and customers aren't openly spritzing stuff everywhere, but other places like Bath & Body Works, Victoria's Secret, Lush, etc.. I can never tell if what I'm smelling is actually the thing I'm trying to smell, or if it's a combination of that and something else in the air. It's super frustrating to buy something you think smells really good, only to get home and discover it does not. This happened with a Tokyo Milk perfume.. I thought it was the perfect amount of floral/spice/fresh, but when I got home it's like I had some bizarre evil twin perfume instead. The boutique had a lot of open fragrance samples, plus candles, plus possibly just dosing the air with scent, so who knows what it was that I actually liked. :s

jpham

White Diamonds and Chanel No. 5- both are such old ladies smells. Also Pure Seduction from Victoria Secret, bleh! It's super sweet smelling; I got it as a present last year, worst present ever.

CatDetective

Pretty much anything at a perfume counter... I have huge sensitivity issues that make walking through some department stores a literal headache. It's too bad, since I love things that smell nice...

I'd say 'but I can stick to natural scents', but anything with patchouli or nag champa makes me sick... and I want to say vetiver? Some 'spice' notes turn me off as well, and I tend to do better with oils or solids (or the occasional rollerball), rather than anything in an alcohol base that you spritz into the air. I just have to be very picky about finding scents I can handle, and then I have to apply them directly instead of just out in the air.

I'm glad to have found several in recent years that don't make me sick, I remember when I was in junior high I just kept stubbornly using this one that made me sick every time. Ugh, it was one of those girly brands of the late nineties, I can't remember what it was called, but it was in a pink bottle and it smelled somewhat floral and pretty and I was determined to wear it in spite of myself.

discrepancy

Fragrances are fascinating! Apparently, the combination of rose, patchouli and vanilla might be what causes perfumes to turn into cotton candy on my skin. Tom Ford's Noir de Noir and Giorgio Armani's Si are both perfumes I loved in the vial and on cards, but on my skin they both turned into the same horrible cloying sweet stink. I'm happy that they won't be slaughtering my wallet, though.

lipstickpd23

I can't stand anything overly sweet. Pink Sugar, Prada Candy, Fancy by Jessica Simpson, etc. These types of perfume make me sick.

Latest posts