What was/is your major in college and what is your job now?

MiCHiE

Well, I did attend college for a few semesters after a late start....Hated it was bored to death and put my journalism dreams on hold to make some fast money doing something I was interested in, was exciting and never got old....Yeah. I went to Cosmetology school. My mother was all for me doing whatever I wanted to and none of the cosmetologists she knew were poor---in education or pockets....There's just so much in that field that you can branch out into. I started out in hair and I've been doing nails full time for the past 5 years. I don't regret a thing.

spectrolite

I went to uni twice, once in the States and once here in Australia. In the States I was majoring in interior architecture and in Australia I completed a bachelor of multimedia design.

I am working a retail job at the moment and am seriously considering going to japan to teach English next year
smiles.gif

purplkaret

i'm getting a b.s. in biochemistry and molecular biology ... graduating in march ^_^ i also do research in a lab for free right now but after a year off i plan to get a PhD in a related field so i can eventually do lab research and discover something
greengrin.gif

moonrevel

When I started college, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do, so I kind of played around in the liberal arts for a bit until I settled on getting my BA in Political Science and Psychology. At the time, I was sure that I wanted to go on to get my PhD in Political Science/Political Theory, but I also wanted some "practical" training in addition to my "theoretical" training, so I took a pit stop at getting my MA in Public Policy Analysis. However, once I finished that, I realized that I preferred the practical side more, and also that I still had no idea what I wanted to do with my life.

Now I am doing administrative temping, trying to find some kind of real job while at the same time finding myself. The moral of this story? Sometimes it takes a little longer to figure out what to do with your life than you think it should!

MisStarrlight

I have a BFA in Art Education (have taken all my tests for a teacher's certification & am only missing a 3 hours seminar and $100 to make it official)....but after graduation I went to MUD & I now work for MAC. It was much easier to get a job at MAC than a teaching job.

I'm not done w/ school though....I am going to at some point get my cosmetology liscense & then get some more college degrees-an MFA in art history & I've got 5 years to get a masters in education to make the teacher's certification permanent..and possibly a PHd in museum studies or something like that.

When I was 18, I was 100% sure of what I wanted to do with my life-now I have no clue.

kaliraksha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight

When I was 18, I was 100% sure of what I wanted to do with my life-now I have no clue.

This was my exact sentiment all through High School... just yesterday this thread got me thinking... and now I'm not sure again.
hmm.gif

prsfynestmami

I'm a senior in college working on my Bachelor of Business Administration in Managerial Sciences with a concentration in Human Resources and double major in real estate. Once I'm done I'm going to law school.
I started at community college and have an associates of business admin. It helped me confirm my choice of doing business and cc's are cheaper than uni's.
:yelp:
Current job: Claims Adjuster for an auto insurer
Post Graduation Job: Human Resources Director//Real Estate Investor

Miss Pumpkin

Oooops I forgot. I work as a recepcionist on weekends at the Valencia Conference Centre...

vgenenocg.jpg

And as a hostess on call, which means I help organising events, congresses, concerts, etc. whenever there is a big event.

MACtastic

I originally wanted to go to culinary school and become a pastry love. I absolutely adore the food business! (Almost as much as fashion and beauty hehehe). Anyways, my parents would NOT go for that...they wanted me to do something that would gurantee stability. So I figured out a plan: finish school, have a career, and then later on start my own business...a cafe! When the time is right, that's what I will do. In the meantime, I'm a double major in communications (advertising emphasis) and business administration (management emphasis). Both things will come in handy when it comes to handling the books and promoting my cafe one day.
You really gotta think outside the box sometimes. There are quite a few majors out there that you can do a LOT with. For example, my friend wanted to be a dance major, but she got rejected from the program. She changed her major to communications, and is considering working with the promotional departments for ballet companies, Broadway musicals, and the like. You can still do what you love while doing the traditional schooling route.

thelilprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinks
I'm having problems finding a direction in life and I was wondering what would be a job that I would love. I'm 18 btw and starting college soon... I'd like to go to cosmetology school but my parents are totally against the idea so off to college I go....
ssad.gif
Thanks to everyone who answers!

um, your post was the only one i read...
2cents.gif

i have a BS in biochemistry & celluar biology and a PharmD. i plan to be a community pharmacist (studying for board exams right now).

my friend's little sister wants to work in cosmetics and has decided to go to pharmacy school - there are pharmacists who not only work in medicine, but they work in skin care and thus the cosmetics industry. so that is a great way to leave options open - pharmacy has lots of different avenues - we're not just pill counters.

btw, i have always loved shopping and make-up. my oldest sister was in college when i was in elementary school and she use to take me and other sis shopping at least once a week - shopaholic since grade school. they always wondered why i never went to cosmetology school since i'm the one who always likes to play with make-up. honestly - i like to play with make up, but i don't think i'm great at it.

hope that gives you some insight on possible careers to look into.

btw, that girl who started urban decay Hard Candy - she was either pre-med or in med school when she started dabbling with nail polish - and went with her idea of the toy rings on the bottles - and look at her now. (yeah, i think she dropped out.......but that's not my point) hehehe.

veilchen

How could I ever miss this thread, it's so interesting to read about everybody ... I've got an MA in Literature and Art History and am currently pursuing my PhD in Literature. Ever since I graduated I worked as an assistant at an attorney's because I couldn't get a part-time job in my field, but then I was made redundant because they didn't have enough work for me anymore. Since then I haven't been able to find anything at least slightly connected with my subjects. I'm still clinging to my PhD although I know I'll never be able to get money out of it if I'm not lucky enough to get into university or a museum. And there's not much choice here in Austria, I already tried everything and am getting more and more frustrated. Right now I'm saving for a course that will land me a diploma in Human Resources, a field a friend got me really really interested in and that will surely land me a job one day. I just wished I had realized this before I decided to study what I chose - it was interesting but it's worht nothing in our modern business world ...

lipstickandhate

Double major in History and International Relations. Went to law school. Did a lot of human rights work with an NGO. Became incredibly jaded. Now I work as a prosecutor.

coachkitten

I graduated with a major in Business and a minor in Accounting. I am now a marketing supervisor for an automotive company. I really would like to be in creative development for cosmetics! I am still looking for a job in cosmetics but there are not a lot to be found in Seattle. I think I would have to move to LA or New York.

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuthetaphi
I went to college and majored in Chemical Engineering. I have worked two jobs as a chemist so far. My dream is to get into cosmetics chemistry and formulation.

My advice is just to do as much research as possible ( on different colleges, schools, scholarship programs, etc.) . Many students have no idea what they want to major in (I was a new student orientation leader, and helped all the freshmen), and it is not uncommon for them to switch majors a few times. Its hard with so many choices and opportunities out there. Some schools even have "personally designed majors", where you can sort of create your own major and curriculum.

http://www.cinemamakeup.com/

Wow..I went to that site! How cool!

cheerleader.gif

You... are ... my ... IDOL!!!! I'm going to major in Chemical Engineering toooo!!

karinaf

Social work major and psychology minor. Now I teach yoga and will eventually go to grad school for music therapy.

nibjet

my first year of college I took classes at night and went to cosmetology school during the day, then went to college full time from then on out while working at a local salon. I changed colleges, and majors, so I'm still in school (6 years.. ugh.). I'm now a sociology major, with one semester until graduation! I love doing hair, and so many of my friends with degrees work at call centers or department stores and hate their jobs, if I can't get a job in the sociology field, I already have a job I love. My parents weren't happy about cosmetology either, but it's really worked out great.

Suzyn

I wanted to do the same thing! Off to college I went. Don't sweat not knowing what direction to go yet. I started off in college headed for Marine Biology, realised I didn't want to spend the rest of my life on a boat w/ no money (not really what would have happened, just a generalization), so now Im in marketing. Quite a switch huh? Sometimes i do miss marine biology tho. I wanted to work with sea turtle conservation. Maybe one day I can help out in that area.

Even if you don't know where you want to go, hope for the best, and good things will always come up. I still don't know if Im where I want to be at. If I had done the MB thing, I wouldn't have my beautiful daughter.

gabi1129

im currently in school, a major in Math and Computer Science with a minor in Secondary Education. So i hope to either teach. Ill probably get my Masters in Math. i hope to go to cosmetology school during the summer sometime when i have money. i tend to have like three back ups for everything.

Right now i work in a womens shoes store. doesnt really have any connection with my majors but whatever. its fun, the discount is great and after two years i can get a job working at any store in the mall w/ decent pay.