What would you do if you saw something like this?

semtexgirl

Humans never cease to amaze me. We're all here to live AMONGST one another. I'll never understand why (as a whole) we (humans) believe that we have more of a right to live on this planet than another living creature. If the animal was a threat and was chasing the kid, I do agree with defending oneself. 100%. However, keep in mind that in instances when these animals (and deer, etc.) run accross our roads, it's because those roads were built by humans through the animals' natural habitats. The same goes for our homes, and the rest of our "civilized" villages, towns, cities, etc. Unfortunately, most accidents are probably unavoidable. And the damage could be devastating. But we should try to have compassion for all living creatures - even those that are 4 legged.

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtexgirl
Humans never cease to amaze me. We're all here to live AMONGST one another. I'll never understand why (as a whole) we (humans) believe that we have more of a right to live on this planet than another living creature. If the animal was a threat and was chasing the kid, I do agree with defending oneself. 100%. However, keep in mind that in instances when these animals (and deer, etc.) run accross our roads, it's because those roads were built by humans through the animals' natural habitats. The same goes for our homes, and the rest of our "civilized" villages, towns, cities, etc. Unfortunately, most accidents are probably unavoidable. And the damage could be devastating. But we should try to have compassion for all living creatures - even those that are 4 legged.

Okay....then give up your possessions, move out of your home, and I guess we won't be seeing you online anymore. You obviously live in a house/apartment or other manmade dwelling, which was probably built on a piece of land, a piece of land that other creatures lived on before humans built it. And there's probably a road or sidewalk that leads up to your home, and that was probably built where some other creature lived prior. And your possessions and the computer that you make your statement on were no doubt made in a factory or warehouse...which is probably in a manmade building that you need to take a manmade road to get to and so on and so forth. I hope you weren't excluding yourself in that little tirade, because even though you don't have a gun in your hand in the woods somewhere, you're just as responsible for some of the things you're accusing.

Again, I don't totally advocate hunting and killing animals for sport, but I can see where somebody with a gun wouldn't think twice to kill that thing. Not that I don't feel bad for it, but I'd feel even worse if it killed a child in the woods or something.

xSazx

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrolite
Hmm fair enough.. I just don't like the idea of people shooting any animal for trophys, fun or thrills and I am not a fan of guns especially in the hands of children... They have a right to live and it's not up to a gun enthusiast to take that away. If it was threatening them in some way then sure, they have a right to defend themselves. If they had to chase it down to kill it though, that does not seem very likely... Why not exhaust other options before turning to guns like calling an animal capture service and having it tranquilized and removed from the area?

Definately agree with you.

Bybs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrolite
Hmm fair enough.. I just don't like the idea of people shooting any animal for trophys, fun or thrills and I am not a fan of guns especially in the hands of children... They have a right to live and it's not up to a gun enthusiast to take that away. If it was threatening them in some way then sure, they have a right to defend themselves. If they had to chase it down to kill it though, that does not seem very likely... Why not exhaust other options before turning to guns like calling an animal capture service and having it tranquilized and removed from the area?

Well said
clap.gif

semtexgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
Okay....then give up your possessions, move out of your home, and I guess we won't be seeing you online anymore. You obviously live in a house/apartment or other manmade dwelling, which was probably built on a piece of land, a piece of land that other creatures lived on before humans built it. And there's probably a road or sidewalk that leads up to your home, and that was probably built where some other creature lived prior. And your possessions and the computer that you make your statement on were no doubt made in a factory or warehouse...which is probably in a manmade building that you need to take a manmade road to get to and so on and so forth. I hope you weren't excluding yourself in that little tirade, because even though you don't have a gun in your hand in the woods somewhere, you're just as responsible for some of the things you're accusing.
Again, I don't totally advocate hunting and killing animals for sport, but I can see where somebody with a gun wouldn't think twice to kill that thing. Not that I don't feel bad for it, but I'd feel even worse if it killed a child in the woods or something.

Wow! I guess I hit a chord no? I'm entitled to my o-p-i-n-i-o-n. And that's all it is. You can agree with it or disagree with it. But I can also do the same with yours. And I disagree with yours. 100%

Bernadette

I'm not trying to continue any arguing here but I do want to remind everyone of a few things once again.
Although wild pigs are extremely aggressive, this one managed to live in the wilderness long enough to grow to massive proportions. This clearly demonstrates that it wasn't a bother to any humans.
Also, it ran from them for three hours, it didn't charge them and try to eat them. Although, it probably should have because being shot gave it a lot of reason to get pissed off
winks.gif

I think mentioning that it could be a threat to children is silly. If your children are running around in the forest, yea I guess that may be true.

They killed it because they could.

mzreyes

He killed that thing with that small ass gun?! lol... Maybe its a 50 cal. and I just can't tell.

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtexgirl
Wow! I guess I hit a chord no? I'm entitled to my o-p-i-n-i-o-n. And that's all it is. You can agree with it or disagree with it. But I can also do the same with yours. And I disagree with yours. 100%

Not necessarily striking a chord, I just found it to be a pretty weak accusation. It's almost like you're against roads and houses, which is pretty silly, considering you probably live in one. Like I said, I don't agree with animals being killed for sport or as a trophy, I agree with you in that sense. I just don't buy that human superiority crap, it's a cop out. Like I said, that's a southern thing, it's very common to hunt there. It's something that he learned growing up. And I'm not big on guns in the hands of children at all.

I can see it both ways. But it doesn't matter how we feel about it anymore, because the pig is in the back of a butcher shop and the little boy is a small town celebrity for the moment. So let's not beat a dead boar, eh?

DevinGirl

I'm personally no fan of hunting, but that thing's huge. Like grotesquely huge. Boars are aggressive...maybe (& I realize it's a maybe) b/c of its size it would have gotten over-confident & done some serious damage to property or hurt someone one day. If I was that big (& a territorial boar) I'd be pretty cocky. People get so sensitive about things that aren't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, IMO. So do I agree with the idea of an 11 y/o putting himself in harm's way needlessly & his parents being for it? Not really. But that's a cultural thing, isn't it? I'm sure in some countries male rites of passage still exist. Hunting down a lion to prove you're worthy of being a man, etc... So, technically this might be no different from a young African boy going out & hunting a predator with only a spear... Do I agree with or like it? No. Lastly, if the meat was going to be used for food, I'm on board with that. It's better than letting it rot & be discarded. I, personally, wouldn't eat giant evil boar monster meat, but again...that's me.

Raerae

For all the people saying it was a threat...

Wasn't it killed on a hunting reserve? Somehow I doubt the reserve is right in the middle of town, next to the local elementary school...

Although it is the south... Wouldn't surprise me. They would prolly let the kids go hunting on recess ;p

Katura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
For all the people saying it was a threat...

Wasn't it killed on a hunting reserve? Somehow I doubt the reserve is right in the middle of town, next to the local elementary school...

Although it is the south... Wouldn't surprise me. They would prolly let the kids go hunting on recess ;p

hahahahahhahahahahaha...that made me laugh.

If I came upon that thing on a reservation, like that kid did, where the animals are there for hunting, in his situation I'm sure I would've done the same thing. Maybe not for three hours...if that huge animal could run fast enough to evade me and my 50 cal for that long...I owulda given up.

I bet wild pork is tasty???? *gag*

queenofdisaster

we have roads and houses and guns for one reason. we're smarter. we're at the top of the food chain. IMO it's no different than animals killing other animals in the wild. we have that instinct. and the thing was used for food. my g/p used to hunt boar and we used to eat em. they were yummy. and 800 lbs of edible meat? i see nothing wrong with that...

GreekChick

Wow that boar is impressive!
Seriously though, I just feel like shaking that gun of that KID's hand. The way he is holding it, looking experienced and all, is disturbing.
Tradition or not, he's 11 yrs old for crying out loud! Put the gun down!

Raerae

He basically killed someone's pet...

Poor Fred the pig...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070601/...yna3qcsvxH2ocA

Quote:
1 hour, 28 minutes ago

FRUITHURST, Ala. - The huge hog that became known as "Monster Pig" after being killed by an 11-year-old boy had another name: Fred.

Far from feral, the pig had been raised on an Alabama farm and was sold to the Lost Creek Plantation just four days before it was shot there in a 150-acre fenced area, the animal's former owner said.

Phil Blissitt told The Anniston Star in a story Friday that he bought the 6-week-old pig in December 2004 as a Christmas gift for his wife, Rhonda, and that they sold it after deciding to get rid of all the pigs at their farm.

"I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig," Rhonda Blissitt said.

Jamison Stone shot the huge hog during what he and his father described as a three-hour chase. They said it was more than 1,000 pounds and 9 feet long; if anything, it looked even bigger in a now-famous photo of the hunter and the hunted.

"We were told that it was a feral hog," Mike Stone told the Star, "and we hunted it on the pretense that it was a feral hog."

Telephone messages left Friday with Eddy Borden, the owner of Lost Creek Plantation, were not immediately returned.

The Blissitts said they didn't know the hog was Fred until they were contacted by a game warden for the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries. The agency determined that no laws were violated in the hunt.

Phil Blissitt said he became irritated when he learned that some thought the photo of Fred was doctored.

"That was a big hog," he said.

Shimmer

If no laws were violated that means that they didn't trespass on anyone else's property.
*shrug*

Raerae

Still... I'm sure you'd be saying different if it was your dog or something that some kid with a hard-on for gun violence decided to kill.

Shimmer

That's not even a rational argument.
Have you ever messed with or raised pigs? No? Ok. I have. Wild boars are aggressive. "Domesticated" pigs aren't exactly nice critters either.
If it isn't on the property it 'belongs' to, then sorry, no, a thousand pound animal with a definite propensity for violence, wild or domesticated, being shot doesn't break my heart.

Additionally, I have had my neighbors shoot my dog(s). Dogs, pets or not, running cattle on another man's land are just asking for a bullet through the neck, or at bare minimum some birdshot peppered ass.

The animal was outside its property lines, and *shrug* realistically, anyone can see how it would be considered at threat, particularly if they've ever raised pigs.

There's no 'gun violence' there, and I can assure you...the country boy with the rifle is the LAST person you have to worry about going haywire and blasting through the school.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Additionally, I have had my neighbors shoot my dog(s). Dogs, pets or not, running cattle on another man's land are just asking for a bullet through the neck, or at bare minimum some birdshot peppered ass.

Gotta love how the answer to everything in texas is shoot it.