Wonder if there will be any tutorials for those of deeper skin tones.

doniad101

Hi there. I'm kind of new to this site, and I've been looking at these beautiful tutorials and havent come across anyone around my skin tone: For refrence: Revlon: Cappuccino, Prescriptives: Real Cocoa, Bare Minerals: Warm Deep, Everyday Minerals: Deep Tan, Bobbi Brown: Warm Walnut, NARS: Jamaica etc. ME: http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...rwebsite10.jpg so if there are any out there, can someone please contact me. I'm trying to figure out which types of eye shadow combinations and highlighters/blushes etc look amazing on dark skins about my skin tone maybe even a few shades lighter. Thanks!
wavey.gif

MACaholic76

Hey Doniad101~ Welcome to Specktra. There are a few ladies with darker skintones who have done beautiful FOTDs but ur right, I havent seen anything on the tutorial sessions, particular for the deeper tones. I am an NC45 (not that deep) and I promise to to do one or two when I get all my programs for my computer! I keep killing my laptops so hubby got me a desktop. Hehehe.

lara

Not to be glib or what have you, but the make-up tutorials are more guidelines for an eye/face design, not rules set in stone about what exact products you must use. I improvise because there are very few people posting tutorials that are quite as moon-bleached and cool-toned as I am, and in the same way you can mix up the looks to work for deeper skin tones - substitute colours that work on your colouring but are in the same colour family, alter the design shape where required, etc etc etc. Experiment and have fun!

Treat them as inspiration, not books of law.
smiles.gif

ebonyannette

^ of course girlie!
But sometimes things look different on darker tones. So I take alot of things and alter then so they can work for me but it would be nice to see one on someone with darker skin. I enjoy ALL of the tutorials. I know they arent law.
Just to add a variation in skin tone; eye shape; bone structure etc. not saying I feel left out or anything.

lara

Just checking.
lol.gif
I've seen a few people get incredibly upset because tutorials have been posted that they like but they don't have 100% the same products/colouring/face shape/etc, without stepping back and going, "I'm going to make this look mine with what works for me."

Everything turns out differently on different skintones, I agree, but I think that's part of the experimentation - what can be substituted, what will and won't work, how you can tweak and twist until the look is recreated in a way that's better than the original for you, but still honours the original. I've had NW50 women recreate my N1 looks to great effect, and I've done the same in reverse.
greengrin.gif

Me220

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
Just checking.
lol.gif
I've seen a few people get incredibly upset because tutorials have been posted that they like but they don't have 100% the same products/colouring/face shape/etc, without stepping back and going, "I'm going to make this look mine with what works for me."

Everything turns out differently on different skintones, I agree, but I think that's part of the experimentation - what can be substituted, what will and won't work, how you can tweak and twist until the look is recreated in a way that's better than the original for you, but still honours the original. I've had NW50 women recreate my N1 looks to great effect, and I've done the same in reverse.
greengrin.gif

There's also something to be said about seeing people who look like you. This could get into the larger issues of mainstream beauty images, but when I see a tutorial by people who look like me, or who can address my unique issues, I am more likely to follow the tutorials. While I definitely do appreciate all the tutorials (and I've looked at almost all of them more than once), I can't help but feel a certain disappointment at noticeable absence of deeper toned women. I think it would be a testament to this site to have a more diverse showing in the tutorials. I'd love to see more.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me220
I think it would be a testament to this site to have a more diverse showing in the tutorials. I'd love to see more.

The tutorials and FOTD posts are made by whoever feels like doing them, so if you want to see more of a certain type of person and you fit that profile, make one!
To have more women of colour in the FOTD and Tutorial subforums wouldn't be a testament to the site so much as it would be to the people who contribute to the site. Get your camera and start snapping, and in a period of time this discussion will hopefully become a moot point.
smiles.gif

lsperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me220
There's also something to be said about seeing people who look like you. This could get into the larger issues of mainstream beauty images, but when I see a tutorial by people who look like me, or who can address my unique issues, I am more likely to follow the tutorials. While I definitely do appreciate all the tutorials (and I've looked at almost all of them more than once), I can't help but feel a certain disappointment at noticeable absence of deeper toned women. I think it would be a testament to this site to have a more diverse showing in the tutorials. I'd love to see more.

Well said....And high time someone else said it! If "beauty-images" didn't matter, then a lot more women of color would be seen touting the latest eye shadows, lipsticks and fashions in magazines, dept stores, etc. But because others refuse to be colorblind about beauty, a slanted standard exists. But that's neither here nor there....I can relate to doniad101. I became enthusiastic about this site when I saw "women of color" wearing the make-up. Maybe I am handicapped because I don't live where there's a MAC counter and have not had a lot of interaction with the MAs to get tips and learn tricks. [While out of town last week, I visited a MAC counter and the white woman acted like she was afraid of me and wouldn't suggest anything. Maybe she had never worked on a black woman or maybe I smiled too much!!!
lol.gif
Anyway, good thing I had made a list from suggestions made on the Beauty of Color forum -- I made my purchases from that list! I had to even ask her if she had a way of keeping a file on me and she stumbled through that! I tried asking her questions; but instead, she would just look dumb-founded so, I made my purchases and left. AND, yes, she was a MAC MA. What service!!.]

Beauty is in the eye of beholder....Earlier today, I read in one of the threads comments made by others about how they did not like the Lip Varnish image....They saw a dark image with red lips. One even described it as reminiscent of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" (not a flattering comment at all). I did not see ugliness or horror...I saw a rich black skintone with RICH, FULL, BEAUTIFUL RED LIPS....Reminded me of myself and I saw the BEAUTY of the image!

So it's not about adapting the colors to one's skintone, it's seeing the beauty enough to copy or adopt it....And when the European standard of beauty's been shoved in your face for DECADES, it's refreshing to see women of color.

Why don't I do a tutorial? Not as good with make-up as the young ladies on the web site are...But I look, I try and I experiment....and have learned something from many of the FOTDs and tutorials I've seen....not just the one's from the women of color....

BinkysBaby

I do see where everyone is coming from in this discussion but I feel a little differently. First, in order for there to be to be tutorials for women with dark skin, we have to actually do the tutorials. I've only posted a FOTD because of my hectic schedule but I wanted to make a small contribution. Granted, there are not a lot of tutorials of women with dark skin but the general idea of the colors and application are provided. From that point, I find that you really have to go in and make it yours. I sometimes look at the tutorials/FOTD and just play around at home. Sometimes the color comibinations don't work and other times they look awesome. I do see where everyone is coming from because it's almost like you don't know how to translate the colors on someone with a different complexion to match your own. I just think that's it's a matter of experimentation. Good luck....and if I can figure it out and time permits, I'll try to do one this weekend. Happy make-uping!!

ebonyannette

Quote:
The tutorials and FOTD posts are made by whoever feels like doing them, so if you want to see more of a certain type of person and you fit that profile, make one!
To have more women of colour in the FOTD and Tutorial subforums wouldn't be a testament to the site so much as it would be to the people who contribute to the site. Get your camera and start snapping, and in a period of time this discussion will hopefully become a moot point.
smiles.gif

That one came across kind of snippy. I wish I could make one, if I was good enough to do one I would. I understand that whoever does them just does them so we arent making a big deal of it, we are just saying we would like to see it.
Maybe someone will see our posts and do one? It wasnt to complain about the site at all. I was just saying I asked a few times and no one did one.
Its not really about adapting colors, just to see certain shades on someone who looks like you. So you can get a different perspective. Im sure if you had only seen make up on really dark skin tones for most of your life and then tried to replicate those looks on a very pale person you would have some adjusting to do and it wouldnt quite be the same.
The same with us, most of us see make up on lighter skin people or tan shades but not the darker end of the spectrum.
There is no prob when people post "such and such look on an asian" because we understand different features and the way you apply make up to them.
So I hope you werent being mean
ssad.gif
we were just voicing what we would like to see.

doniad101

:eek:)

Oh you guys werent being mean... I mean, I appreciate each and everyone one of your opinions. I'm not to good at applying makeup and the makeup artists that I've gone to are sort of lost on what goes well with dark skin, and or the products from that company arent pigmented enough for those of darker skin tone. When I went to the department store and found a counter for women of deep skin tone (Fashion Fair), there wasnt anyone at the counter to help me...
ssad.gif
I am so lost on trying to find what looks good, but I will continue my search on my own so that I can find out what looks good on me, if I've found a few items that I think ya'll should know about, I will be happy to post them if I can... I apologize if I've come off snippy to any of you, but I was just a little lost and wandered what was going on with the deep skin tutorials. I really do thank you guys for helping me the best that you could and suggesting different things to me. Have a great day! God Bless.
th_kiss.gif

lara

I wasn't being mean. I merely stated that it's not enough there to say there aren't enough tutorials for ladies of colour (a perfectly valid question by itself) and that it would reflect better on Specktra if there was, because to my ears tacking the latter onto the former sounds like you feel that Specktra actively promotes tutorials and FOTD posts from everyone but ladies of colour. I assure you that it's not.
If you see that there aren't enough tutorials representing women of colour, then you must also see that the only way that's going to be corrected is if that women of colour themelves create tutorials. No one else can do it for you. If that's a mean statement to make, then so be it.

ebonyannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by doniad101
Oh you guys werent being mean... I mean, I appreciate each and everyone one of your opinions. I'm not to good at applying makeup and the makeup artists that I've gone to are sort of lost on what goes well with dark skin, and or the products from that company arent pigmented enough for those of darker skin tone. When I went to the department store and found a counter for women of deep skin tone (Fashion Fair), there wasnt anyone at the counter to help me...
ssad.gif
I am so lost on trying to find what looks good, but I will continue my search on my own so that I can find out what looks good on me, if I've found a few items that I think ya'll should know about, I will be happy to post them if I can... I apologize if I've come off snippy to any of you, but I was just a little lost and wandered what was going on with the deep skin tutorials. I really do thank you guys for helping me the best that you could and suggesting different things to me. Have a great day! God Bless.
th_kiss.gif

Oh no I wasnt referring to you donaid101, I was agreeing with you. the last statement i made was referring to Lara.

Im going to go ahead and stop posting in this thread before I get irritated.

MiCHiE

You guys need to check out faithhopelove24's FOTD's. I haven't seen anything recent from her, but her posts were some of the first ones I sought out.

Me220

Quote:
I wasn't being mean. I merely stated that it's not enough there to say there aren't enough tutorials for ladies of colour (a perfectly valid question by itself) and that it would reflect better on Specktra if there was, because to my ears tacking the latter onto the former sounds like you feel that Specktra actively promotes tutorials and FOTD posts from everyone but ladies of colour. I assure you that it's not.
If you see that there aren't enough tutorials representing women of colour, then you must also see that the only way that's going to be corrected is if that women of colour themelves create tutorials. No one else can do it for you. If that's a mean statement to make, then so be it.

I wasn't insinuating at all that Specktra discourages women of color from making tutorials. I was just saying it would reflect well on the site to have more tutorials for women of color. There are very few places with tutorials for women of color, so it would be positive.

Also, the reason the statement came off as mean is not entirely your fault. I can only speak for myself, but it can become frustrating when people of color comment on a situation in which they feel underrepresented, and a non-person of color comes in immediately saying "well, you should fix it this way." or "if you just did x, there would be no problem." Through situations beyond your control, it feels a lot more condescending than, I think, you intend. There's a bevy of experiences that makes certain modes of interaction far more complicated. This issue is not solely about a lack of tutorials, it's about lack of representation, standards/ideals of beauty, comfort levels, etc. While you are offering a simple suggestion, in the larger context it's not so simple.

I haven't found a look yet that I wish to make a tutorial for, but maybe the women of color need to challenge ourselves to make a tutorials. Maybe we can start a thread to test our tutorials out here, seeing as how some of us were hesitant in regards to our skills. As Lara said, if we work for ourselves we can make the change we want. I think I'll start our own tutorial request thread, what does everyone think?

And I apologize for the novel.

MACaholic76

Correct me if I am wrong but why is it that whenever there is a post for need in a particular community, especially when there is a request by a women of color or darker skintones FOR women of color or of darker skintones, some members get so defensive??
I also see the insinuation that it's more of a "get your camera" and just "do it" type of thing which to me implies so many other things (stereotypes come to mind). But I am going to stop here too. Anyways, I am not one to complain much and although I do not have a deep dark skintone, I am dark enough and have a lil' skill to post a tutorial as soon as I get my camera and software ready and going. If I come across any looks from my counter that work on deep dark skintones, I will also post them. I think that will help contribute to a solution to this issue and I hope others do the same.

Shimmer

Quote:

Agreed completely.

To say that having tutorials for darker skin tones would reflect well on the site is fair, however, those tutorials are dependent completely upon the members with the darker skintones to create.
Don't like that there are not enough darker skin tone tutorials? Make one, or ask someone who posts a lovely FOTD (Mac_Pixie04 does several gorgeous ones) to create a tutorial.
To imply that it's the responsibility of the site, which seems to be the undercurrent of this thread, to create and provide tutorials is incorrect. It's the whims of the members of the site to create the tutorials, and as such, fellow members are the ones to ask.

Each ethnicity has its own landmines when working with makeup. There are some girls who are simply too pale, too pink, too not pink, too yellow, too brown, too rosy, too bumpy, too smooth, too hairy, not hairy enough, too flushed, too full, too whatever, the list goes on. It's incumbent upon the people with those issues (such as me with being dark in summer and ghastly transparent in winter) to make tutorials that address those issues, in the hope of helping others who share the same fate.

Edit: I don't think anyone is being defensive, but more puzzled by the implication that it's Specktra's responsibility to provide the tutorials.

In short, if you want a tutorial that addresses issues for darker skin tones, someone with darker skin tone is going to have to create one.
Just my opinion of course.
smiles.gif

Latest posts