You think ebay is full of fakes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlamYOURUs

be careful of the ones on here.
ssad.gif
I mean I am not trying to accuse anyone but the reality is that people do sell fake pigments here too whether they know it or not. Its unfair because what is the buyer supposed to do with them then? Obviously not sell them to others because you don't want to lose your credibility or reputation as a seller. We just have to be more careful and alert and make sure that the people who do sell have a reputable character as a seller.
This fake Chartreuse happens to be the first fake pigment I have bought on specktra. I don't do ebay mainly for this reason. I have other pigments that are questionable too so maybe you guys can help me distinguish from whats fake and whats real.

Fake Chartreuse: Even with the naked eye anyone can tell that this is truly a fake Ugh!
angry.gif
It looks like NYX Pearl Mania in Lime Pearl. The consistency has a powdery finish with no color payoff!

2ewf57r.jpg

dh4860.jpg

2rohrfs.jpg

2efs076.jpg

^^Fake vs. Real (sample)
28an4v6.jpg

Emerald Green: They both look exactly alike and maybe they are both real but the batch codes are different? Why is that? One says AA6 and the other one has slightly faded but it says A15?
th_dunno.gif
I swatched them and they are both identical with the lil diamond like crystal sparkles in them. I am not too worried about these but is it nice to know why the batch codes are different.

2sazc5x.jpg

2up953k.jpg

2ujk237.jpg

o55d1g.jpg

2nsnlw9.jpg

I was a bit upset but at least the seller replied back with an apology and an explanation. She has even given me a refund for it which makes things easier for the both of us.

Ambonee

Batch codes will vary!
winks.gif
It just depends on when they were made.

The first one AA6 was the first batch (A) made in October (A) of 2006. The second was the first batch (A) produced in January (1) of 2005 (5).

From what I understand:
First letter is which batch it was made: A=first B=second and so on...
Second letter stands for what month it was produced: 1-9 is Jan-Sept. A-C is Oct-Dec.
Third letter is the year it was produced.

I'm not saying I know 100% that your pigments are real but different batch numbers don't always mean fake.
smiles.gif

panda0410

Agreed with Ambonee - batch codes will change of course depending on the date of manufacture - one of your emereld greens is older than the other, thats all, they both look very real to me
winks.gif

As for the Chartruese - WOW - I never though it was likely to happen here seeing as most of us are very familiar with MACs products, this one is definitely fake
ssad.gif

halocaustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
As for the Chartruese - WOW - I never though it was likely to happen here seeing as most of us are very familiar with MACs products, this one is definitely fake
ssad.gif

I noticed this on macsaleswap:
LiveJournal.com - Start a Free Blog / Journal Today

Even those who are normally quite clued up with MAC products haven't noticed that her chartreuse (it's exactly like the OP's Chartreuse!), aire de blue, Jardin Aires and White are fake - for starters! The texture of the white and the Jardin Aires is WAY off.

I unfortunately don't bother telling or warning people anymore because all that happens is that I get bitched at by the seller and I really don't have time for petty intarwebs drama. The way I look at it is that people only get so defensive if they have something to hide.

bebs

well if the seller of the Chartreuse pigment did look at the bottom only (and didn't swatch it or have a real on compare it to)

I wouldn't really blame them for thinking it is real.. the label its self and the bottom of the jar look fine to me, so really without the smaller pigment sample I would just think that your camera and or my computer screen is slightly off.

GlamYOURUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebs
well if the seller of the Chartreuse pigment did look at the bottom only (and didn't swatch it or have a real on compare it to)

I wouldn't really blame them for thinking it is real.. the label its self and the bottom of the jar look fine to me, so really without the smaller pigment sample I would just think that your camera and or my computer screen is slightly off.

It could be that she didn't know, but generally, its hard to find honest sellers whether it be here or on ebay. I mean if anyone knows their pigments well enough they would immediately know whats real and whats fake. It could be the color, the jar, the writing/labeling etc. I would have still known Chartreuse was fake even if I didn't have the sample to compare it with. I actually opened up my package in the car while driving to school and it didn't even take me 2 secs for me to determine that its a fake. I then compared it when I got home this evening and it only made it evident. Because I have seen what it looks like in pictures on this site. My camera also takes really good pics and the colors are truly what they are in RL.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamYOURUs
Because I have seen what it looks like in pictures on this site. My camera also takes really good pics and the colors are truly what they are in RL.

i know i keep repeating this - but you really cannot rely on a photo for accurate colour unless it's been taken with the correct white balance and lighting. even then - video cards and monitors all display colours differently and this can have an effect on the final result on someone else's screen.

there's a sticky thread at the top of the forum that shows how easily colour can be distorted in a photo.

this is why i'd be very cautious about declaring an item to be fake purely off the colour in someone's photo.

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
i know i keep repeating this - but you really cannot rely on a photo for accurate colour unless it's been taken with the correct white balance and lighting. even then - video cards and monitors all display colours differently and this can have an effect on the final result on someone else's screen.

there's a sticky thread at the top of the forum that shows how easily colour can be distorted in a photo.

this is why i'd be very cautious about declaring an item to be fake purely off the colour in someone's photo.

Unless of course its right beside the real one which shows a clear and obvious difference, like this one.

redambition

Quote:
Unless of course its right beside the real one which shows a clear and obvious difference, like this one.

yep - that's the exception
smiles.gif
thanks for adding that!

GlamYOURUs

Quote:

Exactly my point. lol That us why I have the real pigment right beside it.

MACATTAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebs

It can't be said enough that the fakes are getting better and better. However, this frosted label on the bottom is another indication of a fake pigment. If I had seen this label, I would have instantly knew it was fake, but then I follow the counterfeit threads here pretty religiously.

For future, I guess I will need to make sure I ask for pictures of all pigments, bottom of jars, labels etc before I buy anymore pigments off of here. So far, I've been lucky!

I'm glad you received a refund Glamyourus, and thanks for also reminding us to be careful, even on Spectra
smiles.gif

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
It can't be said enough that the fakes are getting better and better. However, this frosted label on the bottom is another indication of a fake pigment. If I had seen this label, I would have instantly knew it was fake, but then I follow the counterfeit threads here pretty religiously.

I can't remember which thread on here I read it, but someone purchased a pigment directly from MAC Pro and it had a frosted label (might have been a metal pigment...I'm not 100% sure). Just so everyone is aware...

MACATTAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
I can't remember which thread on here I read it, but someone purchased a pigment directly from MAC Pro and it had a frosted label (might have been a metal pigment...I'm not 100% sure). Just so everyone is aware...

Hmm I think I do remember something like that too. Was it about a reflects glitter? I'm going to check on that. So I will revise what I said & say that the label coupled with the color is a giveaway. That Chartruese pigment is not authentic though.

Here is the thread: http://specktra.net/f257/authentic-g...sticker-96152/

purrtykitty

Quote:
Hmm I think I do remember something like that too. Was it about a reflects glitter? I'm going to check on that. So I will revise what I said & say that the label coupled with the color is a giveaway. That Chartruese pigment is not authentic though.

Yeah, that might have been it. ITA that Chartruese p/g is fake, though.

GlamYOURUs

Quote:

For future, I guess I will need to make sure I ask for pictures of all pigments, bottom of jars, labels etc before I buy anymore pigments off of here. So far, I've been lucky!

I'm glad you received a refund Glamyourus, and thanks for also reminding us to be careful, even on Spectra
smiles.gif

Me too! I will have to request pics as well. And thank you. I mean again, this is just an ongoing situation no matter what site you are on, forums or ebay. We need to really look into what we are getting our money's worth.

I am glad too that she did but apparently she isn't too happy that I made this thread and Im not the person to argue or fight because I wasn't wrong to make this thread anyway. This is just another scenario of a problem that has been going on for ages, and for me to ask the pros here to inform me on what is real and what is fake, I honestly don't see the problem here. I hate how people get so defensive.

MACATTAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamYOURUs
Me too! I will have to request pics as well. And thank you. I mean again, this is just an ongoing situation no matter what site you are on, forums or ebay. We need to really look into what we are getting our money's worth.

I am glad too that she did but apparently she isn't too happy that I made this thread and Im not the person to argue or fight because I wasn't wrong to make this thread anyway. This is just another scenario of a problem that has been going on for ages, and for me to ask the pros here to inform me on what is real and what is fake, I honestly don't see the problem here. I hate how people get so defensive.

Yeah, nothing wrong with making people aware. The seller shouldn't be unhappy about it...you could have gone further. I've seen some who will put the sellers name all over the place when things go wrong.

GlamYOURUs

Quote:
Yeah, nothing wrong with making people aware. The seller shouldn't be unhappy about it...you could have gone further. I've seen some who will put the sellers name all over the place when things go wrong.

Exactly. And I didn't. I didn't even give her a negative itrader token.
I don't know just some things don't seem to add up. I remember requesting a pic from her on the pigment and she said she will later but later never came. So I went ahead and bought it anyway. And it was $13 for the entire full jar including shipping. That should have been a red light in my head. It sounded too good to be true. The only person that should be unhappy is me, not her. I mainly made this thread just to get some answers from the public about the pigments hence the pics and descriptions. If I wanted to expose her, I would have no problem posting her name here. But I didn't and I won't.

MACATTAK

When you know better, you do better. Honestly, I'm really glad you made this thread up. I buy a lot of pigments off of here, and I take it for granted that something like this hasn't happened to me. I figure that we are all such Mac fanatics, there is no way this could happen. Now I will be a lot more cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.