Alima Mineral Makeup

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winthrop44
Quote:
I'm NC15 with yellow undertones and wear N1. I would recommend you test samples in N1, N2, (maybe N3?), W1 and W2. Most people consider the W shades to be very yellow, but I can wear W1 and lots of people mix shades. Some NC wearers have also ended up with Olive shade O-0, which is not on the web site. If you want to test that one give Alima a call or order a different sample and write in your request in the Notes section during checkout. HTH!

It may be different for the paler vs medium shades. I can't speak for W4 or W5 but believe me, W1 and W2 are yellow! LOL

N1, which I regularly wear, also has a decent amount of yellow in it....N2 is peachy to me tho.

You're probably right. I've never tried any of Alima's foundations below shade 3.... so I can't speak on that.

IMHO, I actually think having SOME yellow in any foundation/powder is not a bad thing. Most complexions have some yellow in them. I also believe that a purely pinkish product may make the skin look a little too ruddy or mask like. I think it's all about "yellow moderation" for people with less yellow in their skin tone.

Winthrop44

Have you tried the Beiges at all? I'm really very happy with N1 but ordered some samples to check out anyway. I just couldn't resist! LOL

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruqayya33
hmm.gif
This reply may be kind late..... but I'll comment anyway.
cutey.gif

How do you apply the foundation? Do you buff it heavily? Do you ues a lot of pressure when you buff?

Buffing (like the BE infomercial/tutorial instructs) can create "heat" which may irritate sensitive skin. Heavy (and deep) buffing can also cause tiny abrasions, which then may force some of the product into the abrasions and ends up causing irrritation = itching....

I don't think that's the reason with me because I buff the same way using other products like the MAC Studiofix powder and I don't have that irritation, so it's definitely something in the product.

I still use the Alima now and then, just a shame that it still irritates a bit.
weeping.gif

Winthrop44

You know....even though Alima is very finely milled, I would guess that the particles may still be larger than those in Studiofix powder, and the fillers in Studiofix may also help make it less potentially scratchy? I'm just guessing, of course, but Kate specifically says "sweep the brush over your face. There's no need to grind the minerals into your skin; in fact it is better if you do not" in her online guide. I also read somewhere (maybe one of her newsletters?) that she recommended applying in 1 direction and not buffing her product at all...

I find it much less tempting to buff when I use my Alima 25 than when I use my Aromaleigh kabuki, and I occasionally feel *slightly* irritated after applying with the kabuki. Since they are both super soft taklon brushes I really think the only difference is the buffing.

ruqayya33

Quote:
Have you tried the Beiges at all? I'm really very happy with N1 but ordered some samples to check out anyway. I just couldn't resist! LOL

I got (potted) samples of the (new!) Beige 4 and Beige 5 as a "we-made-an-oops" gift in my last order. (Don't you :loveya: their CS?! They had forgotten to pack one of my items and reshipped it after I phoned them.) Haven't tried them yet... since I'm using my mix of Warm 4 & Warm 5, right now. From the look of it, it's close to the Warms.... just a slight touch cooler and less peachy.

I just got an Alima Newsletter and this is what they said about the new addition of the Beiges and a new Olive shade: (I hope there is no rule against a copy-&-paste of this, here.)

"We're listening to you. The most common issue for clients who are unable to easily find a match in Alima's extensive foundation range is that the Warms are too warm and the Neutrals are not quite warm enough. That's why we've created the Beige shade range. Now, right between Neutral and Warm, you'll find Beige. If you've been struggling with your Neutral or Warm foundation, we hope you'll find the new Beige shades to be just perfect.

Additionally, we're introducing Olive 1.5. So frequently have we custom-blended one-half Olive 1 and one-half Olive 2, that it just made sense to make it permanent."

I may try the 2 Beiges (4 & 5) in the next week or so... just to see if they could work for me too....

:thumbsup: I so hear ya on the "I couldn't resist ..." I couldn't resist their blushes and got samples of most of their colors in the medium and deep ranges. (I tried both... Matte and Shimmer and ended up prefering the Mattes.) I'm also soooooooooo in :loveya: with their Pearluster and Shimmer e/s and have samples of all of their beiges, taupes, browns and several greys. Now.... the hard part is deciding what blushes and e/s to order in full sizes.
hmm.gif

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I don't think that's the reason with me because I buff the same way using other products like the MAC Studiofix powder and I don't have that irritation, so it's definitely something in the product.

I still use the Alima now and then, just a shame that it still irritates a bit.
weeping.gif

Awwwh.... too bad.
ssad.gif

I actually have super sensitive (and oily) facial skin and have had troubel with other MMU brands, such as BE, because of the Bismuth in them. Thanksfully, :dancey: I've not had an issues with Alima. (I also love the selection and "diversity" of their shades, especially for those of us that don't have the "typical European" skin tones that most cosmetic lines tend to offer products for.)

ruqayya33

Quote:
You know....even though Alima is very finely milled, I would guess that the particles may still be larger than those in Studiofix powder, and the fillers in Studiofix may also help make it less potentially scratchy? I'm just guessing, of course, but Kate specifically says "sweep the brush over your face. There's no need to grind the minerals into your skin; in fact it is better if you do not" in her online guide. I also read somewhere (maybe one of her newsletters?) that she recommended applying in 1 direction and not buffing her product at all...

I find it much less tempting to buff when I use my Alima 25 than when I use my Aromaleigh kabuki, and I occasionally feel *slightly* irritated after applying with the kabuki. Since they are both super soft taklon brushes I really think the only difference is the buffing.

ITA with you on the buffing issue. When I first tried MMU, I did the buffing method and it caused me to get that "hot & itchy" feeling. It also aggravated my mild form of rosacea on my upper cheeks. (When I stopped buffing MMUs with Bismuth in them, I only got the itchy feeling.) My dermatologist told me to stop buffing (and using products with bismuth.)

thelove4tequila

I got some samples and I think its just okay. I don't really like their blushes because from the 5 samples I ordered, they are all the same shimmery finish. Nothing really spectacular. I do like how they have a wide variety of foundation colors, but buying foundation online can be a hit and miss. Good thing for the samples.

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelove4tequila
I got some samples and I think its just okay. I don't really like their blushes because from the 5 samples I ordered, they are all the same shimmery finish. Nothing really spectacular. I do like how they have a wide variety of foundation colors, but buying foundation online can be a hit and miss. Good thing for the samples.

You must have ordered their "Luminous Shimmer blushes." I prefer my blushes to be matte. (I like shimmer for eyes and lips only.) I've sampled most of their matte blushes (from the medium to dark shades) and I think they are all pretty much natural looking. (I'll be ordering full-sized jars of Melon, Carnation, Bisque and Soft Plum.... I'm still trying to decide on Ginger.)

ruqayya33

Quote:
I love the matte blushes too and have a bunch of full sized ones. I think my favorite is Raspberry.

I wanted to like Raspberry, but it was just too "cool" for me. I also was "trying to like" Honey Rose, but that one also seemed a bit "off" on me. (I'm a mix of W4&W5.) Both still look lovely in the pot, though....

Lately, I'm really lovin' Soft Plum, when I wear pinkish lippies - Melon for a "nude" look and Spiced Ginger when I wear warm toned lippies..........

Winthrop44

I know, I'm wierd. For some reason my warm-toned self looks best with blushes that are on the neutral to cool side. I just ordered a bunch of eyeshadows!
smiles.gif

Edited to say I like Soft Plum alot too!

Winthrop44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruqayya33
I second your review on the GRACE, CHAI and TAUPE e/s. I also like Gazelle (a peachy beige,) Tigereye (a golden brown - more gold than brown,) Mocha (a bronzy brown) Mirage and Mink (both are very similar - taupey beige,) and Sphynx (a bronzy gray.)

I've tried a few of their MATTE e/s and am not crazy about them. :eek2: It's actually kinda funny, since I typically prefer matte e/s and shy away from shimmery ones. Alima's matte e/s seem too chalky for me, while I loooooove several of their PEARLUSTER or SHIMMER e/s.
cheerleader.gif

I've shied away from loose e/s in general but have been playing with a bunch of these recently while trying to patiently wait for the new Alima brushes. I'm really liking the pearlusters and shimmers more than I expected to as well. They give more of a wet/glowy look than a frosty or glittery look, and I like that. My favorites are Chai (I think everyone who samples this one falls in love with it!), Toffee, Palomino, Black Orchid, Plum, Dark Plum, Cedar, Silk and Champagne. I hear you on the mattes - I felt the same way at first, but if you sheer them out they lose that chalkiness (try it on the inside of your arm) - I really like Fawn and Fresco alot with my green eyes and yellow undertones. Fresco reminds me a bit of MAC's Haux and Fawn is along the lines of Malt. Of the lighter mattes, I like Vanilla and Daphne (reminds me of MAC's Orb). Overall, the Alima e/s I sampled were subtle, natural and sophisticated looking, very much in keeping with their "Be your beautiful self" tagline.

Anaiis

I only tried Alima Guava blush so far and I'm in love with it, looks just gorgeous! I'm looking forward trying more products

Winthrop44

If anyone has been waiting on Alima's brushes they're now in stock. There are more styles yet to come in the future, including a synthetic skunk brush and a retractable kabuki!
th_DANCE.gif

ruqayya33

Quote:
If anyone has been waiting on Alima's brushes they're now in stock. There are more styles yet to come in the future, including a synthetic skunk brush and a retractable kabuki!
th_DANCE.gif

Yay!
yahoo.gif

But now I'm broke...... Got to wait until the end of January to do a brush haul.
girl_devil.gif

Winthrop44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_kismet
Has anyone tried the "new and improved" #25 foundation brush? How is it???

I have both now, and I think they are both nice, just different. I would describe the new one as more firm than the old one....I do *not* mean the individual bristles are stiff or anything - they are every bit as soft as the bristles on the old brush...but overall the head gives a firmer/more resistance kind of feel on your face. It's a little difficult to describe, lol. I think they did a good job in the newsletter. If you didn't get the newletter this is what they said about the new 25:

"The previous #25 had a well-deserved reputation for being one of the softest, most dense brushes available. Softness and density are wonderful, but they also led to a few issues that we occasionally heard complaints about. First, the brush took forever and a day to dry. It was difficult to wash every last trace of foundation from it, and once you did, you could pretty much plan on your brush being on the sidelines for at least a day, often two. And on a related note, because it wasn't easy to wash, some people put off washing it as frequently as they should. Once product built up inside the bristles, it tended to kind of compact the bristles together, making it more difficult to achieve the beautiful, sheer layers that make your skin look radiant.

Our new #25 brush, while still extremely soft and dense, has "springier" bristles. With a bit more body the bristles won't tend to compact. It will also be easier to clean thoroughly and drying time should be greatly reduced, something we can all appreciate. (A side note, please do not ever apply heat to man-made bristles to hurry the drying process. All you will achieve is speeding up the demise of your brush.) This new brush will help you to apply sheer layers of foundation, making it much easier to reach the coverage you desire without looking heavy or cakey. If you do prefer to apply one heavier layer of foundation, don't despair, we'll have something for you in our expanded brush collection later this year."

talks

Based on all the positive reviews here I decided to give Alima a try and ordered some samples of the foundation. The shipping is super fast, surprising since it was sent by regular mail. I ordered Monday morning and received the order Wednesday. I think the colors on the site are not completely accurate because in person the samples look different than on the pictures. I'm glad I got samples first because a lot of them were way off! After several testings I know now that I am N4. This is my first time using mmu and I was a little weary at first. After one day of use I'm sold. I have never had anything last like this and it does feel like I'm not wearing mu at all. I have combo skin with a very oily t-zone. It did not completely keep the oilies away but it reduced them significantly! I only blotted a few times instead of every hour. The coverage is awesome and I can't believe how very little I actually need. When I opened up my package I thought no way was this going to be enough because the samples provided are so small, but I was wrong. There's more than enough to use for a week or two weeks. I've already placed my order for a full size and for the primer, I love this stuff!

xxManBeaterxx

Q: I wear mac NC40-43, i'm asian 50/25/25 chinese/japanese/korean, yeah im as yellow as u can get here.

Any color reccomendations for me? I have no idea, there are just so many color foundations to choose from. Thanks a lot!