Alima Mineral Makeup

Winthrop44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTrain
I've heard such good things about the Buff Brush. I've been waiting to get it with the foundation brush when they're back in stock but I guess i'll have to find a different brush for blush

The #21 buff brush is available this morning, as is the #17 blush brush. I think the #17 was the one that was originally included in the Mothers Day set, and it got good reviews from the few people who reviewed it on MUA:

https://secure.alimacosmetics.com/ro...Tools/Brushes/

There are also new finishing powders and matte bronzers up!
smiles.gif

https://secure.alimacosmetics.com/ro...ishing-Powder/

https://secure.alimacosmetics.com/ro...Matte-Bronzer/

nTrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winthrop44
The #21 buff brush is available this morning, as is the #17 blush brush. I think the #17 was the one that was originally included in the Mothers Day set, and it got good reviews from the few people who reviewed it on MUA:

https://secure.alimacosmetics.com/ro...Tools/Brushes/

There are also new finishing powders and matte bronzers up!
smiles.gif

https://secure.alimacosmetics.com/ro...ishing-Powder/

https://secure.alimacosmetics.com/ro...Matte-Bronzer/

I actually got the foundation brush a little while ago because I was on the waiting list and they received like 20 of them . I wonder about the 17 because I read the reviews on MUA but the brush is so flat looking- i wonder if I'd like it.

I saw the new finishing powder and bronzer. I wonder how they are.

Winthrop44

I ordered samples of the bronzer and finishing powder, and for the price I ordered the #17 as well. I'll let you know what I think of the brush. Still planning on ordering their skunk brush when it becomes available, no matter what I think of the #17. Their makeup artist told me the sample they received of the skunk brush is "heavenly".
smiles.gif

nTrain

Oh gosh, I'm drooling! I've been wanting a skunk brush forever but I only buy synthetic brushes so I don't have a lot of options. Can't wait!

Winthrop44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTrain
I wonder about the 17 because I read the reviews on MUA but the brush is so flat looking- i wonder if I'd like it.

The 17 is not as dense as the 21 or 25, and the bristles are longer, so while it is flat it's also kind of floppy, and so can be used like a fluffy brush, if that makes sense, lol. Anyway, I really like it, much more than the 21 for blush.

nTrain

Oh gosh, don't tell me that. Now I am going to have to get the 17. Did you like the new finishing powder and bronzers?

Winthrop44

Yes. I got samples of the light and medium bronzer, and I'm going to order a full size of the light. It is really very light and gives a barely there look on me (over N1 foundation), which is what I was going for. Also ordered the lightest finishing powder. I like that too, it's *extremely* finely milled and lightweight. I may order a full size if I decide I'll actually use a finishing powder. The thing is I'm not sure I really need anything else over the foundation....maybe I'll get it for use on special occasions or something. Not sure.

nTrain

Oh, thanks for your review of the new products.
smiles.gif
I want to order some samples of the bronzers but it seems a waste just to order those. I think I'll wait til i need to get something else (the skunk brush, hopefully?) Yea, I have a full size of the old finishing powder and I barely use it. I don't even know if it does much because I don't get too oily anyway.

mandragora

Glad to have found this thread. I love Alima foundations and their eyeshadows. I love that it provides medium coverage, is not chalky and does not cause my skin to break out
smiles.gif

I'm currently using W-4 Masala for foundation. And would like to try out O-2 Amina (Kate from Alima recommended) on my next order. For eyeshadows, I love Hellebore, Grace, Chai and Amethyst. And I'd love to try out more
rofl.gif

SagMaria

Okay I have a q about their packaging.... when you ladies get your Alima products in the mail, the full versions of the ESs for example, you know those little white stickers they put over the holes, are you supposed to take it off and throw it away or take it off and put it back on when you're finished using the product? I took mine off and threw them away but I find that all the eyeshadow is going through the holes and there is a lot more product there than I need to use hence being way more messy. Suggestions please!!!
hmm.gif

lil_kismet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagMaria
Okay I have a q about their packaging.... when you ladies get your Alima products in the mail, the full versions of the ESs for example, you know those little white stickers they put over the holes, are you supposed to take it off and throw it away or take it off and put it back on when you're finished using the product? I took mine off and threw them away but I find that all the eyeshadow is going through the holes and there is a lot more product there than I need to use hence being way more messy. Suggestions please!!!
hmm.gif

To avoid this problem, I peel the sticker just half-way and leave the rest of it sealed (well for their eyeshadows, I peel it so that 2 out of the 3 holes are uncovered). This has worked out well for me, particularly with the blushes.

frocher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagMaria
hmm.gif

I use a pin to punch a couple of holes. It limits the amount of product that comes out and there is no messy sticker to deal with.

user79

I have to say, I love Alima and thought it was my HG, but now in the hot summer months, I realized that it also makes my face itch a bit, just like Bare Minerals did, only not as strongly. I am so upset, I thought Alima was The One, but I can't really use it in the summer. My face gets itchy from it. I don't know what it is, since Alima doesn't contain the bismuth, maybe it's the mica?

*sigh*

Been back to using my MAC Studio Fix compact on those really hot and sweaty days...

Winthrop44

Oh that's too bad. My guess would be the mica too. I know Cory Cosmetics makes mica-free MMU, but I used it way back when and found it pretty awful. Here's a list of brands & ingredients from Delphi Forums MMU Mania board if you want to check out some others:

http://people.delphiforums.com/traci...List22405.html

You might find another one without mica. Also, I've read that micas really vary, so maybe even another MMU with a different type of mica might work for you? HTH. Please let us know if you find a mica-free one you like!
smiles.gif

dirtyMartini

It's strange because I was really disappointed with their eye shadows.. They don't stick well on the lids, even over UDPP.. You can never bring out that gorgeous color that you get in the pan, even with mixing medium..

dirtyMartini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winthrop44
I'm more of a pressed e/s person, so haven't played much with mineral e/s, but out of curiosity have you tried them over Paint Pots? They seem to do pretty well wet for this person on MUA:

http://www.makeupalley.com/m~61629059

Oh these swatches look gorgeous.. Unfortunately I am not able to reproduce that wet effect on my eyelids. I find that when I use these shadows wet (or with mixing medium), particularly the lighter colors such as Mirage or Chai, the color goes on uneven, and it takes a ridiculous amount of layering to get that much pigment out of them... And I don't like to put 3 layers of e/s on my lids because then it just has this thick, unflattering look to it... I believe that a good eye shadow should achieve its optimal pigment potential in just one layer..

Also I don't own any paint pots so I can't comment on those...

oddinary

Does anyone else not think shipping costs are way too high? I'd love to try Alima, but shipping to Asia costs $8.50 USD alone!!

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddinary
Does anyone else not think shipping costs are way too high? I'd love to try Alima, but shipping to Asia costs $8.50 USD alone!!

I don't think the shipping cost is more than other places, tbh. It's even cheaper for international shipments than other companies...