Alima Mineral Makeup

dirtyMartini

I've compared their shipping costs (to Canada) together with the prices to a couple of other companies, and I find that Alima's are at worst equal to most other companies.. although I find that many other mmu companies have pricier products...

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddinary
Does anyone else not think shipping costs are way too high? I'd love to try Alima, but shipping to Asia costs $8.50 USD alone!!

It says $11.00 on the site lol

astronaut

I must add in my opinion on this foundation. IT IS AWESOME!!!! I used to wear Neutrogena foundation when I was in middle school. I never used up the first bottle. I stopped using it because it made my face feel like crap. I never used foundation again until the beginning of my junior year in high school, when I started using Bare Minerals. The whole neutrogena thing made me so scared of foundation, and I will never use liquid foundation ever again because of it (well... maybe for my wedding or something if it works ;o). Buttt I ended up being allergic to the bismuth oxychloride in BE so I was suggested by pugmommy on here to try Everyday Minerals. I tried it and thought it was the best thing ever because it was cheaper than BE and didn't make my face itch! I couldn't ask for more... until I found Alima!

I did not understand when people say that it's "finely milled". How do you know that? Oh, I know why now. Because it feels very light! Everyday Minerals felt sort of heavy on me, like it was clogging my face or something. Alima feels like just a thin layer on. Much much lighter! I love this stuff! I must go order a full sized jar. I'm a cross between N2 and N3.

chrissuen

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
It says $11.00 on the site lol

It was $8.5 in June, the last time I ordered, I guess they finally increase their shipping fee because of the discontinuation of small flat rate envelope.

Still, $11.00 is like most mmu company charge for nowadays. Only a few companies that I know is charging less, like MAD, Cory, or sample order from Meow. I really hope more mmu company could have a lower shipping charge for sample order like meow, but then I understand this either means they lose money or they have to spend much more time in the post office, which could be very difficult for them and isn't very fair...

I wish I could find more mmu locally, but unfortunately it isn't very popular here.
ssad.gif

SmileyfacedPen

Alright, I'm officially a believer. A couple weeks ago, I ordered some foundation samples and the Balancing Primer Powder in Light. This is my first experience with mineral makeup. The package came today, and I couldn't be more in love with Alima.

I've got oily skin, and huuuuge, nasty pores, and the BPP and foundation cover them right up, and I don't get oily at all! It doesn't feel like I'm wearing any makeup, even if I touch my face, and it has great coverage, but still looks completely natural. I'm absolutely thrilled, and if you're looking to try mineral makeup, I highly recommend Alima!
eyelove.gif

EDIT: It's now about eight hours after applying my Alima foundation, and it still looks fantastic. I haven't had to blot my face at all today, which is too amazing for words!

Dizzy

I'm absolutely in LOVE with alima. I was a Bare Minerals fan until I realized that my orange-glow was it oxidizing on my face- then I realized that the oompa loompa look isn't very attractive!

10 hours at work, plus the hour drive each way, and no orange-ness or fading. I'm in love. Plus Alima works out to be cheaper than BE anyway (at least in the US, I'm not sure about internationally).

And for reference, I'm normally MAC NC20, Fairly Light in BE, or Buff in Revlon Colorstay, but I'm O-1 and N-2 mix in Alima.

I got the samples for Neutral and Olive tones, but the neutral alone makes me a bit sallow and a bit sickly looking. The olive alone is almost a perfect match, but not quite. Definitely get the samples first if you're interested- I got 6 and have mixed and matched with them for the last week until I got the one I needed.

suijuris

I do have to say that the concealer lasts all day on my face, which is unusual.

I'm a bit so-so on the foundation (NW25-30 and N3 with a bit of N4 mixed in). One minute I love it, the next I'm indifferent. It does feel very light on though, much lighter than Everyday Minerals.

sharon7

Hi

I am MAC 40 (indian skintone). Which shade would suit me? I dont want to get the wrong shade and there are SO many to choose from.

Thanks

susanks1

If I wear Claire in Monave and fairly light in EDM, what color do you think I would be in Alima?

Thanks for your help.

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winthrop44
I'm NC15 with yellow undertones and wear N1. I would recommend you test samples in N1, N2, (maybe N3?), W1 and W2. Most people consider the W shades to be very yellow, but I can wear W1 and lots of people mix shades. Some NC wearers have also ended up with Olive shade O-0, which is not on the web site. If you want to test that one give Alima a call or order a different sample and write in your request in the Notes section during checkout. HTH!
smiles.gif

This is in regards to the bolded text in the quote.

I use Alima in W5 in the summer and a mix of W4 & W5, the rest of the year. I actually find the W's to be more PEACHY than YELLOW. During my trial phase I did sample some of the G's (=Golden) and those are definitely YELLOW, although the darker shades have a sight brown tinge, kind of like tumeric or curry.

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenii
For sheerer blushes, Alima's buff brush is great because it deposits a bit more color than a MAC brush would. The head's also smaller, so I feel like I have a bit more control over where color goes on my cheeks.

But, all in all, both Alima and MAC brushes are equally useful to me.

soapbox.gif
I've been using BE Heavenly (flat top) Blush Brushes for applying Alima blushes and they work just fine. Since the blushes are VERY PIGMENTED you only need VERY LITTLE. I wonder if those of you that are having issues with the blushes may just use too much product?!
pretty.gif

I suggest, that you buy some small sifter jars on Ebay and transfer the samples into them. (I use the 10 gram jars. Anything smaller than that is just too tiny for anything except e/s or liners.) The sifter jars help control the product "flow." The lid is also big enough for a small blush brush to swirl in.

Here's what I did (before I bought full-sizes):

Turn the open sifter jar over the head of the brush, tap lightly to get ONE or TWO little "sprinkles" on the bush and then swirl the bush into the lid or a small dish and apply with LIGHT strokes on each cheek. No need to buff heavily. One or two little "sprinkles" are usually enough for BOTH cheeks. You can always do a second coat if you feel you need more. (I suppose you could tap that "sprinkle" of product into the lid instead of right onto the bush, too. That may be safer, if you heavy-handed, because you can then return some of the product back into the jar.)

BTW... I've bought several 10 and 20 gram sifter jars on Ebay and have transfered some of my Alima products into them - for travel the gym bag and purse.

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by suijuris
Re: eyeshadows. I got a few samples recently and I have got to say they are brilliant. Really finely milled and more pigmented than EM eyeshadows, and the shimmer is actually shimmer, not chunky glitter. My favourites so far are Grace (it's a lilac-taupe shade, not a bronzed plum as described on their website), Chai (a champagney taupe with a hint of peach), Taupe (a kind of warm champagne brown), and Black Orchid (a deep shimmery burgundy which looks amazing foiled).

Oh, and I know their eyeliners aren't on sale, but I got a sample of Nightingale (dark navy) matte eyeliner for free and it's just gorgeous. I never thought I could wear blues on my eyes because my eyes ARE blue, but it looks really nice for day or night and it's very easy to apply (I am a total klutz at applying eyeliner).

I second your review on the GRACE, CHAI and TAUPE e/s. I also like Gazelle (a peachy beige,) Tigereye (a golden brown - more gold than brown,) Mocha (a bronzy brown) Mirage and Mink (both are very similar - taupey beige,) and Sphynx (a bronzy gray.)

I've tried a few of their MATTE e/s and am not crazy about them. :eek2: It's actually kinda funny, since I typically prefer matte e/s and shy away from shimmery ones. Alima's matte e/s seem too chalky for me, while I loooooove several of their PEARLUSTER or SHIMMER e/s.
cheerleader.gif

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTrain
Does anyone have any idea when she'll be getting the foundation brush? I've been seeing this brush in my dreams!

LATE FALL, which could mean anytime soon..............
cutey.gif

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyMartini
It's strange because I was really disappointed with their eye shadows.. They don't stick well on the lids, even over UDPP.. You can never bring out that gorgeous color that you get in the pan, even with mixing medium..

Quote:
I'm more of a pressed e/s person, so haven't played much with mineral e/s, but out of curiosity have you tried them over Paint Pots? They seem to do pretty well wet for this person on MUA:

http://www.makeupalley.com/m~61629059

Applied dry - even over UDPP, the e/s are very sheer. You have to do some serious layering to get some depth. I prefer mine foiled - applied wet - where the color comes out more. It also stays on better, fades less and doesn't flake that way.

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I have to say, I love Alima and thought it was my HG, but now in the hot summer months, I realized that it also makes my face itch a bit, just like Bare Minerals did, only not as strongly. I am so upset, I thought Alima was The One, but I can't really use it in the summer. My face gets itchy from it. I don't know what it is, since Alima doesn't contain the bismuth, maybe it's the mica?

*sigh*

Been back to using my MAC Studio Fix compact on those really hot and sweaty days...

hmm.gif
This reply may be kind late..... but I'll comment anyway.
cutey.gif

How do you apply the foundation? Do you buff it heavily? Do you ues a lot of pressure when you buff?

Buffing (like the BE infomercial/tutorial instructs) can create "heat" which may irritate sensitive skin. Heavy (and deep) buffing can also cause tiny abrasions, which then may force some of the product into the abrasions and ends up causing irrritation = itching....

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon7
Hi

I am MAC 40 (indian skintone). Which shade would suit me? I dont want to get the wrong shade and there are SO many to choose from.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage
Maybe try the 4s? I'm NC30, and use a 50/50 mix of N-3 and W-3.

I second the the 4's and would add 5's to that as well. Maybe you should try some samples of W(arm)4, W5, G(olden)4, G5 and maybe even some O(live)?!

FYI: I'm 2nd generation mixed-race (bi-racial "brown" Mom and white Dad) and I use W5 in the summer and a mix of W4 & W5 the rest of the year. (On MUA they'd clasifiy me as a MMM to light CCC.)

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage
I'm still having issues with oil control (my T-zone, especially the nose area, is the troublemaker!), but using the finishing powder seems to help a bit. I do wish the coverage was better, but for everyday use, it's good enough for me! It's a little on the more expensive side, but considering it's been 3 months and I've barely made a dent in my jar, it's worth the investment.
smiles.gif

Have you tried a mattifying primer? I use Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Daily Mattifying Lotion or Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Super Antioxidant Mattifying Concentrate Serum. I apply one of those allover as a moisturizer, since I have very oily skin. Then, I apply a bit of Alima's Balancing (powder) Primer over my t-zone, which tends to be the oiliest. It's not perfect, but does help. I may only blot 2x a day, instead of every few hours. :thumbsup:

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanks1
If I wear Claire in Monave and fairly light in EDM, what color do you think I would be in Alima?

Thanks for your help.

hmm.gif
According to the Monave site "Claire... a neutral shade that looks very natural on light skin with pink or neutral undertones. It helps tone down ruddiness and even skin tone." According to the EDM site "Fairly Light Foundation (Beige) is ideal for fair to light complexions with soft yellow to pink undertones."

hmm.gif
:whattha:
hmm.gif
th_thdeadea.gif

I think you may want to start looking at Alima's BEIGES or light WARMS. Their NEUTRALS tend to be kinda pinkish and not much yellow....... although according to Alima's suggeestions, they are supposed to be for "yellow, pink, beige and/or peach undertones."

Winthrop44

Quote:
I'm NC15 with yellow undertones and wear N1. I would recommend you test samples in N1, N2, (maybe N3?), W1 and W2. Most people consider the W shades to be very yellow, but I can wear W1 and lots of people mix shades. Some NC wearers have also ended up with Olive shade O-0, which is not on the web site. If you want to test that one give Alima a call or order a different sample and write in your request in the Notes section during checkout. HTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruqayya33
This is in regards to the bolded text in the quote.

I use Alima in W5 in the summer and a mix of W4 & W5, the rest of the year. I actually find the W's to be more PEACHY than YELLOW. During my trial phase I did sample some of the G's (=Golden) and those are definitely YELLOW, although the darker shades have a sight brown tinge, kind of like tumeric or curry.

It may be different for the paler vs medium shades. I can't speak for W4 or W5 but believe me, W1 and W2 are yellow! LOL

N1, which I regularly wear, also has a decent amount of yellow in it....N2 is peachy to me tho.