All Things Sephora

novocainedreams

Rouge got a higher discount percentage and earlier sale dates than VIB last fall I believe (20% vs 15%) plus first crack at new collections (Divergence, the new Hourglass Ambient blush). A bit like what MAC used to offer pros. It looks like we're getting a longer sale this time as well. I think they are prioritizing us.
Actually it has always been 20% in the fall for everyone. Just check T's posts about the sales from previous years. 20% in fall and 15% in Spring.

Audrey C

I DO have an issue with Sephora's email system. I'm VIBR and RARELY get those VIBR perk product emails! Most of the time I hear about them on here and by the time I go to try to use the exclusive codes, the products are LONG gone! I think every VIBR should be getting the same emails. It seems like they stop sending them once the products are no longer available, so if your email is further down the list, you never get them at all! That does seems shady.
I agree with you there! I don't think I've ever received one of those e-mails. I usually see them here.

Audrey C

As for this one, BI's get $15 off $50 and VIB's and VIBR's get $20 off $50...so no difference in being a VIB and VIBR.
The primary difference for me is free shipping (makes it easy to indulge in purchases large enough to use a code with but below the free shipping minimum) and getting first crack at sales/some new products. I get that some don't care about those things, but I value both.

I would never have spent $1000 just to get Rouge status, but I'm glad I have it.

novocainedreams

The primary difference for me is free shipping (makes it easy to indulge in purchases large enough to use a code with but below the free shipping minimum) and getting first crack at sales/some new products. I get that some don't care about those things, but I value both.

I would never have spent $1000 just to get Rouge status, but I'm glad I have it.
Like I said, it was worth a try for one year, but now I know it's not worth it for me, I feel a lot freer to make my purchases elsewhere. You're lucky it benefits you, but it doesn't work for all of us, and we are free to complain about it and offer them suggestions on how they can improve it to make a larger customer base happy. They don't have to listen to us, just like we don't have to buy from them.

Audrey C

Like I said, it was worth a try for one year, but now I know it's not worth it for me, I feel a lot freer to make my purchases elsewhere. You're lucky it benefits you, but it doesn't work for all of us, and we are free to complain about it and offer them suggestions on how they can improve it to make a larger customer base happy. They don't have to listen to us, just like we don't have to buy from them.
Of course you're free to complain; people have been for months. Just as I'm free to say that I'm happy with the program. :)

LiliV

Like I said, it was worth a try for one year, but now I know it's not worth it for me, I feel a lot freer to make my purchases elsewhere.
Same for me. Maybe more will happen over the next few months but I don't feel any pressure or drive to maintain Rouge as of right now

Audrey C

I DO have an issue with Sephora's email system. I'm VIBR and RARELY get those VIBR perk product emails! Most of the time I hear about them on here and by the time I go to try to use the exclusive codes, the products are LONG gone! I think every VIBR should be getting the same emails. It seems like they stop sending them once the products are no longer available, so if your email is further down the list, you never get them at all! That does seems shady.
Oh, If it makes you feel even slightly better, that Dior lippie is just vile. It has a sickly very strong fake rose scent (reminds me of old ladies and nursing homes). I offered it free with swaps/sales and it's still sitting here - no takers. It's headed for the garbage.
throwup.gif

I don't know if the product is old, or if they're all that disgusting. I know I'll never buy a Dior lippie to find out though. Bleah.

PixieDancer

Oh, If it makes you feel even slightly better, that Dior lippie is just vile. It has a sickly very strong fake rose scent (reminds me of old ladies and nursing homes). I offered it free with swaps/sales and it's still sitting here - no takers. It's headed for the garbage.
throwup.gif

I don't know if the product is old, or if they're all that disgusting. I know I'll never buy a Dior lippie to find out though. Bleah.
LMFAO! Good to know... Guess in this case, VIBR email glitch saved me the gross experience! LOL

Spectacular

Quote: Originally Posted by Audrey C
I personally find Sephora very generous. Their return policy is great; if I want to return a MAC item, it has to be within 30 days and I need to pay to ship it back. There's none of that quibbling with Sephora. If a product purchased online doesn't work for me, I can take it back to the store. I don't take advantage of that, but I do appreciate it. I also love their sample bundles and other special offers; I get that vendors provide them, but I'm not getting the equivalent from other stores/counters. MAC has certainly never offered me a discount, advance access to product or free items despite buying from them for 20 years; shipping isn't free here either (although they issue frequent codes).

To each his/her own, but I'm happy with the program. With skincare for the household, I'll probably qualify again this year.

You know when you said that it reminded me of an article I read a few days ago comparing Sephora, Nordstrom, Macy's and etc. Basically it said how when a company sets a standard it becomes the standard by which they're judged. So for instance they mentioned how customers are no longer impressed with the say 10% off sales that used to fly (among all beauty companies) because they feel that standard is too low. For Nordstrom they mentioned how their perk of free shipping with all orders has set a standard for them, compared to other companies. So that when another company offers 'free shipping' it doesn't quite thrill the customer base unless that store is selling something entirely exclusive.

Basically that length of gratitude only lasts so long because with customer competition customers are always asking, "But why should I buy from you compared to someone else?" That's how I feel about Sephora. While I appreciate the free shipping over $50 I can find free shipping elsewhere with no minimum. I'm lucky because I suppose I'm close to Sephora headquarters so my packages always get to me within a day with standard shipping, one reason I didn't sign up for flash shipping. MAC's standards seem archaic to me, I tend to buy less from them as a result. For Sephora it kinda puzzles me that I get so little for in-store purchases but can walk away with so much from Macy's or Nordstrom for in-store purchases. So I don't consider the point system samples to be impressive either. I do like their free returns and in-store returns and that is one thing I definitely think is on par with Nordstrom, that definitely leans in their favor.

I appreciate what good they do have, but I think with time I just expect more like the article said. I don't agree with shopping abuse though, and have to admit I didn't know people used to place orders for 5 bucks just to get samples (I guess I was never much of a sample fan so I never imagined people worked so hard to get them). All in all the system needs work since there are BI's and VIB's who have used codes intended only for Rouge members and gotten samples and such, but that is an issue with Sephora's computer system allowing the error.

futurestrength

VIB Rouge is great for Canadians with the free shipping but now they charge us extra for duties on top of taxes so it's kind of redundant. (BTW, MAC has been having lots of free shipping codes lately, which ALMOST evens out the playing field. Kind of.) I just know that last year there were a lot of times where I could've bought the same product I wanted elsewhere online for a deal, but would decide to wait for Sephora sales because I wanted the points to try out Rouge. Not complaining really, I just won't be doing that again. They do the same thing for us as the average health/beauty store, no more and no less. I have an indifferent perspective Sephora now. Meh.

novocainedreams

VIB Rouge is great for Canadians with the free shipping but now they charge us extra for duties on top of taxes so it's kind of redundant. (BTW, MAC has been having lots of free shipping codes lately, which ALMOST evens out the playing field. Kind of.) I just know that last year there were a lot of times where I could've bought the same product I wanted elsewhere online for a deal, but would decide to wait for Sephora sales because I wanted the points to try out Rouge. Not complaining really, I just won't be doing that again. They do the same thing for us as the average health/beauty store, no more and no less. I have an indifferent perspective Sephora now. Meh.
And I think that's the difference for those of us in the US and those in Canada...MAC offers free shipping(not super fast, just regular shipping, but that works for me just fine) to us all the time, no matter how much we spend, so really, it's on par with Sephora for me. Plus I can also get MAC and other brands(sold at Sephora) from Nordstrom, also free shipping. I could totally understand if I was on the other side, then the free shipping would definitely be a perk to me.

shontay07108

Anyone else noticed that when you return to sephora they scan your VIB card to deduct your points? Don't tickle me and tell me they only do that at the sephora's I go to. I think it's smart. If you return an item, you should lose the points. Otherwise you're getting over.

kait0

Sephora is just plain stingy. Which is fine - but they need to stop with the whole top tier rouge vib non-sense. There is no GWP's, two lame sales a year and "deluxe" samples that you can redeem a hundred dollars worth of points for. Shopper's drug mart/murale have an awesome rewards system - even Ulta by the sounds of it, you can eventually redeem points for money off products. And sephoras prices are jacked up to begin with.

ChosenOne

All I really have to say about the debate on the perks (or lack thereof) of Sephora's Rouge program is that even though I am currently Rouge, I personally will not consider it a loss if I don't make it to Rouge status for next year. Knowing my makeup spending habits, I will at least make VIB, and that suits me just fine.

Lipstickdiva420

Anyone else noticed that when you return to sephora they scan your VIB card to deduct your points? Don't tickle me and tell me they only do that at the sephora's I go to. I think it's smart. If you return an item, you should lose the points. Otherwise you're getting over.
I've returned an item about a month ago and they didn't scan mines I thought you lose the points automatically.

vaisforluvrs

I've returned an item about a month ago and they didn't scan mines I thought you lose the points automatically.
Yeah, it's the same when you make a return my mail. Once the return is processed, points are taken away.

If you're having email issues, email tech support or call the Rouge hotline! They just recently figured out the problem, and were finally able to fix my email settings. Now I get Rouge emails, yay!