Did you breastfeed? If so, for how long?

AndyLuvsMAC

my mom breast fed me and i always get over colds and stuff in like a day and i barely ever get sick i think breastfed babies are better immune to colds and viruses.

Girl about town

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLuvsMAC
my mom breast fed me and i always get over colds and stuff in like a day and i barely ever get sick i think breastfed babies are better immune to colds and viruses.

So does my son and he wasn't breast fed, i want to know what the supposed risks are in not breast feeding? im aware that they might not gain certain benefits but it doesn't mean they are doomed to ill health x

Caramel_QT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl about town
i want to know what the supposed risks are in not breast feeding?

Health Risks of Not Breastfeeding

Risks of artificial baby milk infant formula feeding fact sheets

some info from this page includes:
Illness and Hospitalization
  • Formula feeding accounts for up to 26% of insulin dependent diabetes mellitus in children.
  • Otitis media (middle ear infection) is up to 3-4 times as prevalent in formula-fed infants.
  • US Formula fed infants have a 10 fold risk of being hospitalized for any bacterial infection.
Mortality
  • One sudden infant death for every 1000 live birth occurs as a result of failure to breastfeed in western industrialized nations.
  • For every 1000 babies born in the U.Ss each year, four die because they are not breastfed.
Development and Intelligence
  • Scores on the Bayley Mental Development Index were lower in formula-fed children at 1-2 years of age. Scores were directly correlated with the duration of breastfeeding.
  • Formula fed preterm infants had lower IQ scores (8 points) at age 7-8 years than breastfed premies, even after adjustment for mother's education and social class.
Composition and contamination of infant formula
  • Due to an excessive phosphate load in formula, formula fed infants face a 30 fold risk of neonatal hypocalcemic tetany (convulsions, seizures, twitching) during the first 10 days of life.
  • Formula fed infants are at a high risk of exposure to life-threatening bacterial contamination. Enterobacter sakazakii is a frequent contaminant in powdered formula and can cause sepsis and meningitis in newborns.
Hazards of Infant Formula: How feeding your baby infant formula or breastmilk substitutes can be hazardous to your baby's health.

LLLI | Risks of Not Breastfeeding

I just thought I'd post those links for anyone who is interested. As you can all tell, breastfeeding is a topic somewhat passionate about and can talk about for days, lol. However, I think I've probably said enough in this thread and I'm going to bow out gracefull,
winks.gif
. I wish the OP and any other pregnant moms all the best!

Girl about town

All very minimal risks of illlnesses that even a breast fed baby also has risk of developing, My son is very intelligent, was walking /talking very early, has never had an illness!!(touch wood) xx

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel_QT
The fact of the matter is breastmilk IS what is best for your baby. May not be for the mom's lifestyle, career etc, but it is certainly best for the baby. Artificial baby milk, aka formula is not the best. You can read that on a can of Similac, Nestle, Enfamil etc. etc.

I totally understand about steeling yourself in case you can't do it. We hear so many horror stories of women trying to breastfeed. In my opinion, it may be a better idea to surround yourself with women who've been there and triumphed through breastfeeding trials. I have been fortunate to have never dealt with anything, much more than some engorgement when the milk first comes in, but I know that there is TONS of people who want to see you succeed in breastfeeding. Think positive - you CAN do it!

All the best to you!

th_hug.gif

One of my best friends was able to breastfeed, but her child was diagnosed as probably being allergic to diary. The baby had to go onto a prescription soy-based formula because it was not thriving. It really hurt her to not breastfeed, but there was no choice. The baby was not thriving, and wasn't going to be able to thrive on breastmilk.

It's situations like that, which seem to not be catered in the breastfeeding literature. It's drummed into our heads - breast is best - but there are medical situations where it's not.

In my mind, I want my body back already. I want my husband to have more interaction with the baby than he can have at this point in time. I want to be able to get back to work asap after giving birth (this is a major financial concern). All of this means the baby will be feeding from a bottle anyway at nursery, whether it's full of breastmilk or formula. That reduces my interest in pumping somewhat - assuming I can even do that at work.

All of these things have to be taken into consideration. The benefits of breastfeeding over formula aren't exaggerated, but at the same time, formula isn't a bad choice.

Shimmer

Mortality

* One sudden infant death for every 1000 live birth occurs as a result of failure to breastfeed in western industrialized nations.
* For every 1000 babies born in the U.Ss each year, four die because they are not breastfed.

I want to know how these conclusions were legitimately reached.
smiles.gif

M.A.C. head.

I breastfed my daughter and it was a very rewarding experience for us.

It is very difficult and it can be painful but if you can do it, definitely give it a go!

If it's not right for you and your baby, don't feel badly about using formula. Breastfeeding is not for everyone, so that's what formula is for! Just make sure to look into the different types of formula so you can choose one that best suits your baby.

There are great resources for info on breast and bottle feeding.

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Mortality

* One sudden infant death for every 1000 live birth occurs as a result of failure to breastfeed in western industrialized nations.
* For every 1000 babies born in the U.Ss each year, four die because they are not breastfed.

I want to know how these conclusions were legitimately reached.
smiles.gif

All the references for that page are here: Breastfeeding research references and bibliography but you'd probably have to trawl through them individually to find where they came up with those bullet points.

Alternatively you could contact the organisation. It's their business to know the facts and disseminate the knowledge.

glassy girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty0411
I'm not a mother, but my aunt is still breast feeding her 3 year old son. It's a bit strange to everyone in the family, especially me. He eats like a 10 year old, and still breast feeds. She hasn't transition him from regular milk either, he gags at the taste of regular milk. lol... We'll be out in public and you just see him going inside his mothers shirt like it's nothing. It's funny and disturbing at the same time. haha... Everyone from teachers, family members, and some doctors have asked her to stop (the baby is a bit obese now for his age), but I don't think she wants to. It's her decision, so what ever makes her happy, makes her happy.

I don't mean to offend anyone but....
I'm not saying that it's bad to breast feed your child, but I think that a 3 year old is too old to feed from the breast. Maybe if the mother puts it in the bottle, that fine, but I guess it's just me... haha...

l I have always triped out on mothers who let there toddlers (3 AND UP) still breastfeed but i guess to each there own i never did it so i guess i shouldn't say anything, I guess caramel_QT says it quiet normal and i always thought it wasn't and my doc. says it wasn't either but i guess i learn something new everyday.

Navessa

congrats on your pg! and good for you for inquiring about breastfeeding!

i nursed dd1 for 10 days and had to stop due to post-partum issues.

i nursed dd2 for 28 mos.

and ds is still nursing at 21 mos.

i like the medela breast pump (i work part-time and that is what i use).

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmist
All the references for that page are here: Breastfeeding research references and bibliography but you'd probably have to trawl through them individually to find where they came up with those bullet points.

Alternatively you could contact the organisation. It's their business to know the facts and disseminate the knowledge.

I guess what I'm really asking is...How can a study conclusively say that not breastfeeding caused a child to die (barring the child starving to death, and the mother not feeding it formula...)? How can a study say that a child died because it wasn't breastfed?

tiffanykei

smiles.gif
I'm a Mother of a 4 year old and I breast fed her until she was 6 months old.
smiles.gif

It did hurt like a .... but my body eventually got used to it. It blistered and all that but my midwife said that it was because she wasn't "latching on" properly.
smiles.gif
I got the hang of it and well.. it also helps get rid of that pregnancy fat so it was extremely helpful. On average you lose about 2000 calories a week.. or about 2 lbs a week until all that excess fat is gone.
smiles.gif
Freaking awesome. I did eat healthy and even refused to take medicine when I had a cold or headache. Stayed completely away from alcohol and all that Motherly stuff.
smiles.gif

I did however get very bitchy while I was breast feeding her though.. Like.. I was just very protective all of a sudden. I didn't want anyone in the room or anywhere around me and would want everything silent. Weird eh?

bgajon

I have two daughters and I tried to breast feed the first one for about a month, but it just hurt like HELL!! I got blisters and all that so it was very uncomfortable to feed her so I just gave up and bottle fed her. I actually think that it was a combination of not being informed and being a young mom (21) and being very immature that I didn't seek help. I still regret not seeking help and not breast feeding her longer. Then I had my second baby 6 years later I was so focused on breast feeding that I read a lot and thought I was mentally prepared for it. HA!! The blistering and horrible pain were there again but I decided to stay strong, I finally got assistance from a lactation consultant and one of my problems was that my nipples were inverted or "flat", so I had to use a nipple cover for a while and I had no idea how to hold the baby to my breast to help her latch on correctly. She also gave me a chamomile made cream that in Mexico is called Kamillosan, it is made of chamomile and it helps regenerate the skin of the nipples (it's a bit tideous at first becuase you have to clean the nipples before each feeding) and I swear that cream made it possible for me to breast feed. A month after she was born I could do it without the nipple cover, without the blistering and pain and so I did for 9 months(until she refused to have anything to do with my sagging breasts)
tong.gif
. It was the best thing I could possibly do for myself (not just my daughter) because the experience of being able to feed her is the most wonderful I have had in my life as a mom. So good luck!! And remember to ask for help, specifically from a lactation consultant because they know what they're doing so you can have a very gratifying experience.
winks.gif

Sorry for ranting so long!

nadia

congrats!

as has been said before, nursing hurts like hell in the beginning but give it two weeks and you'll recover. my son is 6+ months and still nursing, plus i work part-time. i think i''ll try to go for a full year and then reassess.

a lot of the "failures" of breastfeeding or supply issues i think come from lack of education. the best thing is to contact your local la leche group, it's free and offers tons of support. i also took a breastfeeding class while pregnant, and pregnancy.org has a great breastfeeding board.

as for the controversial topics: i, too get a little weirded out seeing a toddler nurse, but that's just me. who knows, maybe when my son gets older i'll change my mind? also, "breast is best" is a common slogan i see on formula company ads. kids don't turn out retarded because they were given formula, but they miss out on all the benefits. i am 100% convinced that my older brother is smarter than me because he was breastfed and i wasn't! hahahah!

toby_is_cute

I had a breast reduction when I was 17 and my doc then told me that I probably would not be able to breast feed. But that was ok, because the whole time I was pregnant and after I had my daughter I never wanted to breast feed AT ALL. I never tried it, not even once. I hate it when people think less of those who don't breast feed. Even if I didn't have the reduction I never for a second would have thought about breast feeding. Honestly it makes me sick thinking about it. But I was not breast fed by my mother and I think that has something to do with it. I think you have a right to choose and you should not feel pressure from anyone no matter which way you choose.

And OMG a 3 year old still breast feeding???? I'm sorry that is just WRONG!!! Even a 2 year old is too old. I bet kids that old that breast feed sleep in the same bed as their parents until they are 12.

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby_is_cute
I had a breast reduction when I was 17 and my doc then told me that I probably would not be able to breast feed. But that was ok, because the whole time I was pregnant and after I had my daughter I never wanted to breast feed AT ALL. I never tried it, not even once. I hate it when people think less of those who don't breast feed. Even if I didn't have the reduction I never for a second would have thought about breast feeding. Honestly it makes me sick thinking about it. But I was not breast fed by my mother and I think that has something to do with it. I think you have a right to choose and you should not feel pressure from anyone no matter which way you choose.

Thanks. I've decided I'm going to try it, and I'll try to see how well it works with my job situation. If it doesn't work out, I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

Quote:
And OMG a 3 year old still breast feeding???? I'm sorry that is just WRONG!!! Even a 2 year old is too old. I bet kids that old that breast feed sleep in the same bed as their parents until they are 12.

I don't think 2-3 years old is too old for breastfeeding. Also, there's no reason to suppose that a child that old would sleep in the same bed as the parent.

Just thought I'd say - just as you want respect for choosing not to breastfeed, don't look down on those that choose to breastfeed past the age of 6 months. The World Health Organisation and UNICEF say "breastfeeding should continue to contribute an important part of a baby’s diet through the second year of life and beyond." There's no inherent reason apart from Western cultural squeamishness to stop breastfeeding at age 2 or 3, or even up to the age of 5.

pretebrowneyes

Congrats on your precious cargo, lol. You're in for quite a ride. I nursed my 3 sweeties for a year each...and I loved every minute of it. It was like a special secret or something we had. At ages 12, 10, and 8 1/2 we still talk about "mommy's juice". My oldest was exclusively nursed...not even pump milk was introduced. I was working when I had my younger 2 so they also had pumped milk and formula. I've always felt like a mother should choose what's best for her, her baby and her family...but have been a strong proponent for breastfeeding. Even when giving shower gifts, I ask if breatfeeding is being considered..and will make a little care basket if it is. I feel like it's the healthiest way for an infant and mother if it's possible. My children never had ear infections, upper respiratory infections or any other small child illnesses. They don't miss school for being sick and I attribute it all to their great start. I wish you luck with your new life....and if you ever want advice, pm me...I'm a war vet in this mom game, lol

Lapis

You got great advice with getting in contact with LLL and seeing the LC when you are in the hospital, not all hospitals have them so check for that info when you are choosing one, make sure your hospital is bf friendly, when I had my dd they kept trying to take her to the nursery for hours and seemed to be offended I didn't want her in the nursery
th_dunno.gif

And one word lanolin!!!
With my first I had the horror story that everyone talks about, my nipples were in a bad state, the second time around they were much better no bleeding etc and I credit the lanolin for it.

I'm still nursing my 18 month old, don't worry she'll be done sometime before college or her first boy friend
tong.gif
she knows that we only nurse at home now that she's older and she's fine with it

ChicaBoo

Quote:

You don't seem to have a problem looking down on those of us whom chose to breastfeed into the toddler years, though. Respect is a two-way street.

I breastfed my daughter until she was 2 1/2. By the end, she was just nursing for a minute or two in the evenings to relax. Then, one day, she just forgot about it and that was that. I also never had her in a crib--she slept with me until she weaned. She was more than thrilled to have a big girl bed then and still, at 6 1/2, sleeps in her own bed, in her own room, with the lights out.

She's not clingy, needy, whiny or a "mama's girl". She's strong, intelligent, well-behaved and independent. She makes me proud.

Best of luck to you, OP. There are a lot of choices to make but you'll be fine if you just use your gut and tune out the people who try to shame you into making the same choices they did. Those insecure people are everywhere, even in our own families. You'll know what's best for you and the baby when you see that little person for the first time.

As for the details of breastfeeding: yeah, I found it difficult and painful the first 3 weeks. I just kept educating myself and asking for help out of sheer stubbornness and it paid off. "Natural" didn't come naturally for me, but it was the easiest part of motherhood in the end.

I used formula to give myself a break during the rough patches, btw. There's no one perfect way to do this, just remember. Don't be hard on yourself.

Celly

I am a mother of two a 2 year old and a 2 month old. I breastfed both of them. With my two year old I was only able to breastfeed him until he was 3 months because I ran out of milk. Both my boys were big babies Mason(2 now) weighted 8lbs 2oz and Bryceson (2 months) weighted 9lbs 6oz( I had a c-section with him lol). Anyway, they both are some greedy babies lol who love to eat. They ate so much that I had to supplement with formula because they weren't giving my body enough time to reproduce the milk. So now my 2 month old is on formula.

I loved breastfeeding my kids, not only did it save me money, but it was so much easier when you have to wake up in the middle of the night for feedings. All I had to do was pull out the breast and they would eat while I laid on my side sleeping. Now I have to get up go downstairs make the bottle warm it up come back up stairs and then feed him while sitting up. They only reason your nipples will hurt is if you have them on wrong. Thats when you take them off and put them back on.