Do others try to tell your how to wear you m/up or hair

jenee.sum

omg....for me it's not when ppl tell me HOW to wear my m/u or hair, it's when when ppl comment on WHY i'm wearing makeup!
angry.gif

my lover's mom and younger sis is always like "is jenny in the washroom doing her makeup again????"..and the other one will respond "yuuuuuuuup!" WHY is it any of their business? U need to take a piss or shit, tell me, i'll get out for u. but don't comment on WHY i'm doing my makeup. my own mom doesn't care whether i wear makeup or not, so what makes them think their opinion is any more important, or the fact that this is any of their business?
They're very low key/sporty ppl, like all they do is make sure their breath don't stink and their hair is untangled. but do I make annoying comments on why they don't do a little more to themselves when going out? NO, I DO NOT, b/c it's none of my business. (unless they're going out lookin like they live in a cave! but no one does that, really. lol)

but that's a HUGE pet peeve of mine! urgh!

anywhoOOo,
my bf hates makeup, but he knows im not gunna stop. so he tries to shut his mouth. haha but if he ever needs to gimme a present, he's fine with giving me a MAC gift certificate.
th_LMAO.gif
so i'm not complaining hehe

VeXedPiNk

My family members are the ones that give me the most negative feedback. They are always telling me I need to go back to my natural hair colour (which is a dirty dishwater blonde.... not pretty). And they complain about how often the colour changes. When I attend family functions with funky and colourful make-up, I end up being teased about the colours or amount I'm wearing.

But at work and when out and about, those same looks get me compliments... weird, eh?

As far as significant others go, most have said they prefer me without any make-up (to which I reply "do you need glasses?" haha). But they don't complain when I get myself all dolled up... just about the length of time it take me to do it :p

SparklingWaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenee.sum
omg....for me it's not when ppl tell me HOW to wear my m/u or hair, it's when when ppl comment on WHY i'm wearing makeup!
angry.gif

my lover's mom and younger sis is always like "is jenny in the washroom doing her makeup again????"..and the other one will respond "yuuuuuuuup!" WHY is it any of their business? U need to take a piss or shit, tell me, i'll get out for u. but don't comment on WHY i'm doing my makeup. my own mom doesn't care whether i wear makeup or not, so what makes them think their opinion is any more important, or the fact that this is any of their business?
They're very low key/sporty ppl, like all they do is make sure their breath don't stink and their hair is untangled. but do I make annoying comments on why they don't do a little more to themselves when going out? NO, I DO NOT, b/c it's none of my business. (unless they're going out lookin like they live in a cave! but no one does that, really. lol)

but that's a HUGE pet peeve of mine! urgh!

anywhoOOo,
my bf hates makeup, but he knows im not gunna stop. so he tries to shut his mouth. haha but if he ever needs to gimme a present, he's fine with giving me a MAC gift certificate.
th_LMAO.gif
so i'm not complaining hehe

I really wonder if deep down that your lover's mom and sis would like to wear m/up too. I bet they see you step out and say to themselves, "Damn, I wish I looked like her."

That is a perfect gift idea - "MAC gift certificate". I wouldn't complain either. (Hmmm, I got to drop a hint to my hubby for that one).

Kuuipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingWaves
That is a major compliment to have your coworkers wanting you to put m/up on them.

More importantly, I am so moved that you were willing to part with your hair to such a short length in order to take better care of your patients.

My work is all about THEM, not me.

SparklingWaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeXedPiNk
My family members are the ones that give me the most negative feedback. They are always telling me I need to go back to my natural hair colour (which is a dirty dishwater blonde.... not pretty). And they complain about how often the colour changes. When I attend family functions with funky and colourful make-up, I end up being teased about the colours or amount I'm wearing.

But at work and when out and about, those same looks get me compliments... weird, eh?

As far as significant others go, most have said they prefer me without any make-up (to which I reply "do you need glasses?" haha). But they don't complain when I get myself all dolled up... just about the length of time it take me to do it :p

I don't think family is always objective. I think people outside of our family can give a better perspective. They can recognize talents and creativity that our family's may fail to see. People outside our family can help foster growth. Whereas, family sometimes may want us to just remain the same.

It sounds like you are very creative. This is something that I hope you continue to nourish. Others outside your family are recognizing and appreciating your unique flair.
smiles.gif

SparklingWaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuipo
My work is all about THEM, not me.

I am so thankful for people like you. You just don't know how much I appreciate and value people like you being in the world.

jenee.sum

Quote:
I don't think family is always objective. I think people outside of our family can give a better perspective. They can recognize talents and creativity that our family's may fail to see. People outside our family can help foster growth. Whereas, family sometimes may want us to just remain the same.

well spoken. very well spoken. I think that's so true, at least for my family. I wanna go through Makeup Artistry for schooling, but if I'm serious about that, I gotta put myself through that all on my own. Asking my dad for tuition $ for Makeup Artistry is like asking him money for crack. a big no no. really dumb on my part if I DO ask him. It's sad that sometimes parents can't see/accept some things you're good at just because they don't see it as a prestige title.

Quote:
I really wonder if deep down that your lover's mom and sis would like to wear m/up too. I bet they see you step out and say to themselves, "Damn, I wish I looked like her."

That is a perfect gift idea - "MAC gift certificate". I wouldn't complain either. (Hmmm, I got to drop a hint to my hubby for that one).

I think the mom would wanna, but she has no time for anything but her youngest child and her work. she's a single mom, and her youngest is only 13. and my bf's 24. so that's a huge gap. i'm sure she didn't intend on wanting to raise another child 11 yrs after she had my bf. many mothers have no time for themselves. so maybe she does, but can't. who knows how she really feels inside. but as for my bf's sis, she is only 13, and she plays soccer. she's asked me to do her makeup for special occasions, but i doubt she'll wanna play soccer with makeup melting on her face with her sweat. ew. she's too young anyways for makeup i think. maybe just lipgloss LOL I didn't wear makeup until i was around 16...and it was just the basic makeup stuff, not like how I do now
smiles.gif

i just wish they would shuddup about what I do with my life/face/body/hair/fingernails/toenails/clothes/teeth/eyebrows/shoes/food....wat else? LOL

n_c

The boy says i look better with out mu...i dont care what he says i love mu.

SparklingWaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenee.sum
well spoken. very well spoken. I think that's so true, at least for my family. I wanna go through Makeup Artistry for schooling, but if I'm serious about that, I gotta put myself through that all on my own. Asking my dad for tuition $ for Makeup Artistry is like asking him money for crack. a big no no. really dumb on my part if I DO ask him. It's sad that sometimes parents can't see/accept some things you're good at just because they don't see it as a prestige title.

I think the mom would wanna, but she has no time for anything but her youngest child and her work. she's a single mom, and her youngest is only 13. and my bf's 24. so that's a huge gap. i'm sure she didn't intend on wanting to raise another child 11 yrs after she had my bf. many mothers have no time for themselves. so maybe she does, but can't. who knows how she really feels inside. but as for my bf's sis, she is only 13, and she plays soccer. she's asked me to do her makeup for special occasions, but i doubt she'll wanna play soccer with makeup melting on her face with her sweat. ew. she's too young anyways for makeup i think. maybe just lipgloss LOL I didn't wear makeup until i was around 16...and it was just the basic makeup stuff, not like how I do now
smiles.gif

i just wish they would shuddup about what I do with my life/face/body/hair/fingernails/toenails/clothes/teeth/eyebrows/shoes/food....wat else? LOL

My wish for you is that you continue to listen to your own inner wisdom to guide you in the direction of your dreams. Just as your family has chosen their own footsteps to a path they desired, you too have that right.

I have this inner instinct that tells me from your post that your bf's mother is not taking time out in her life to nuture herself. Many women's lives are totally out of balance, because they never meet their needs or desires. They may even view self-care as selfish and indulgent.

So, I feel the comments directed at you are coming from a place of person in depletion. It's not just that you are putting on m/up. You are taking time out to care for yourself. I have a gut feeling she isn't caring for herself in a nuturing way.

She sounds like she needs to learn to take sometime out for herself. Even if it's a 1/2 hour a day, it can help restore some of that dry well within herself.

She has to think enough of herself to make this time just for her.

It's great that you are understanding and recognize her current state.

SparklingWaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_c
The boy says i look better with out mu...i dont care what he says i love mu.

I can totally relate. I am not getting rid of my "tool box". That's what my hubby calls my train case. He puts makeup in terms of things he has. Concealer is "primer". Foundation is "paint".

I wouldn't ask my hubby to give up his enjoyment of certain things, so he can't ask me to give up the "tool box".
smiles.gif

Makeup is fun to me.

Thanks for posting.

Ms. Z

I have had many comments about my hair since my teen years, but I don’t take the comments to heart because its my hair and I will wear it whatever way it makes me happy.
For almost 3 years now I have let my grey grow out (or is it in?) and I like the way it looks, especially when I wear it straight. The people who want me to color my hair are mostly older than me, they say grey hair make a person look older. They no longer say anything to me because now I ask them, so do you really think dyeing your hair is fooling anyone into thinking that you are younger?

SparklingWaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Z
I have had many comments about my hair since my teen years, but I don’t take the comments to heart because its my hair and I will wear it whatever way it makes me happy.
For almost 3 years now I have let my grey grow out (or is it in?) and I like the way it looks, especially when I wear it straight. The people who want me to color my hair are mostly older than me, they say grey hair make a person look older. They no longer say anything to me because now I ask them, so do you really think dyeing your hair is fooling anyone into thinking that you are younger?

Yes, I do think it's in to allow the hair to go natural. I am seeing more ads in magazines with women with grey hair. I find that refreshing.

VeXedPiNk

Quote:

It sounds like you are very creative. This is something that I hope you continue to nourish. Others outside your family are recognizing and appreciating your unique flair.
smiles.gif

Thank you for the lovely compliment, and you are absolutely right. Your family watches you grow for your entire life, and sometimes I think it's hard for them to let go of the image they hold of the little girl you once were. All we can do is be true to ourselves and hope that our family supports our decisions. I am lucky to be able to say that my family does support me and my appearance, and the teasing is always good natured (although sometimes a little much)

Quote:
I can totally relate. I am not getting rid of my "tool box". That's what my hubby calls my train case. He puts makeup in terms of things he has. Concealer is "primer". Foundation is "paint".

Haha, I find this very humorous. I refer to my make-up as paint... as in "gotta go paint my face!"
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Z

I really admire you viewpoint on this. Grey hair looks absolutely stunning on women and I'm glad to hear you rocking it with pride! The aging process is something we all have to endure and embrace.

sassygirl224

No one says anything to me about the way I look, I get compliments mostly on my makeup. Hubby compliments me with and without makeup. He always tells me to close my eyes so he can see the colors on my eyes when I''m made up. In the mornings, when we wake up, he always tells me how beautiful I am. So I'm happy he doesnt care.

And like another said, THEY KNOW BETTER
winks.gif

SparklingWaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassygirl224
No one says anything to me about the way I look, I get compliments mostly on my makeup. Hubby compliments me with and without makeup. He always tells me to close my eyes so he can see the colors on my eyes when I''m made up. In the mornings, when we wake up, he always tells me how beautiful I am. So I'm happy he doesnt care.

And like another said, THEY KNOW BETTER
winks.gif

Your hubby is so sweet. I especially love how he tells you to close your eyes so he can the colors better. That really is just so loving. I have to say I am jealous. I would love for my hubby to do that.
smiles.gif

jenee.sum

Quote:
My wish for you is that you continue to listen to your own inner wisdom to guide you in the direction of your dreams. Just as your family has chosen their own footsteps to a path they desired, you too have that right.

I have this inner instinct that tells me from your post that your bf's mother is not taking time out in her life to nuture herself. Many women's lives are totally out of balance, because they never meet their needs or desires. They may even view self-care as selfish and indulgent.

So, I feel the comments directed at you are coming from a place of person in depletion. It's not just that you are putting on m/up. You are taking time out to care for yourself. I have a gut feeling she isn't caring for herself in a nuturing way.

She sounds like she needs to learn to take sometime out for herself. Even if it's a 1/2 hour a day, it can help restore some of that dry well within herself.

She has to think enough of herself to make this time just for her.

It's great that you are understanding and recognize her current state.

You're very right. I live life to make myself happy. I come from a family who cares about having face a lot, their reputation, and looking good in front of others (like no fuck ups)....and to me that's juss stupid. why do u care what others think so bad about u? do u have to justify urself and ur actions to them? if they wanna gossip about u and ur life, then they're the shallow ones. right? too bad my family can't see it from my point of view. but it's all about clashes in different generations. nothing we can do about it.

You're also very right about her. she does not have any time to herself. and if she does, it's interrupted b/c she either needs to help her daughter or she has to babysit her grandchild, run errands, soccer practice/games, etc. few yrs ago i took her out to get a mani + pedi, and haircut for xmas as her present/treat. she loved it. but there's only so much i can do for her.
it can sound easy to take a bit a time out for urself, but if you're stressed out about so many things in life, it's hard to put ur mind at ease for a bit just to relax. it might be easier said than done. u kno?