Do women wear make-up to attract the opposite sex?

Hikaru-chan

Okay so I know this is quite random question but something someone said something to me a few weeks ago and it's been annoying me ever since.

A regular client of mine had come in for her infills and instead of greeting me her usual way the first thing she said to me was "look at you, don't you look pretty today, who's the lucky fella" now there's me standing there completely clueless as to what she's going on about, as far as I know I have no new fella so I had to ask for clarification as to what's she meant. She goes on to say "well look at all the make-up your wearing, there must be someone", I don't quite know why but that statement had and still does really bother me.

After I had explained that no there's no one new and my make-up look can change quite a bit depending how much time I have in the morning and what mood I'm in she proceded to give me a long speech on how women only ever make an effort if there's a man involved and that basically I was lying.
I literally wanted to scream at her to shut the hell up.

My usual look is pretty natural usually beige and browns on eyes, bronzed skin and nude lips, however I am known for wearing some pretty outrageous make-up at work, most people say nothing, a few decide that I must obviously be doing it to attract a mate.
Red lips is the one that gets me all the time and causes me more hassle than it's worth to the point I think I'm gonna stop wearing it to avoid the repetitive questionare I get from it not the mention the amount of times I affectionatly get called a slut.

What I can't seem to get trough to some people is that make-up is how I express myself creatively and I do it for me no one else, if I feel in a bright purple eyeshadow and fuschia lips kinda mood it doesn't mean that I'm doing it to attract the opposite sex I'm doing it cause I like that look.
If anything I should imagine that my "clown look" (yes I've had that comment too) would send guys running, the vast majority of them seem to prefer the natural look.

Now it's got me wondering if there are women out there that do put on make-up for the sole purpose of impressing guy and to make themselves more attractive and I'm not talking about using make-up to accentuate your best features I mean wearing a mask of make-up cause they feel that they couldn't get a guy otherwise.

belle89

It kills me to think that making an effort = trying to snag a man. God forbid you just have more time in the morning or wanted to look good for yourself. Everything we women do isn't always to get man, sheesh.

TISH1124

Actually I don't I wear makeup because I like makeup and I like the way I look and feel with mu on........every guy I have ever dated preferred little to no makeup on me...or women in general....

gildedangel

Screw them, let them think what they want to. Most guys prefer that you don't wear a lot of makeup anyways. You should wear whatever makeup you want if that makes you happy. Many women think that wearing makeup = attracting men, especially middle aged to older women, and that is because that the main reason that they wear makeup. That is a reason that you see women wear too much makeup and start to look more unattractive than if they wore less makeup. Don't let this get to you, people can think what they want and they are rude to tell you that you look like a slut or are trying to snag a man. Wear makeup because it makes you happy!
smiles.gif

Little Addict

I wear makeup for myself, not others. If I want to look cute / hot / sexy / etc., I do it for myself and not just to get a guy.

TISH1124

Just tell them most guys you know are more impressed with what comes out of your mouth not what you put on it...and their eyes focus on the neck down and you try to keep your mu from the neck up

Sashan

I wear makeup for myself because I like to feel polished and well presented, not to impress anyone. I don't wear a huge amount of makeup during the day but have noticed if I do a bold lip, I get lots of comments. My hubby actually prefers me with less makeup.

Wear what you feel comfortable with and what makes you feel happy.

Stephy171

ughh i def hate when this happens... i feel you... DONT stop wearing your red lipstick hun u do it for you and that is all that matters!

Hikaru-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
If that's the case I guess all lesbians don't wear makeup...

Actually at the time I didn't think of this, I'm almost sure that it would have shut her up immidiately.

iadoremac

^^^lool. I hate itt when people have that mentality. I think every woman and man should always look their best

k.a.t

I wear make up because I like looking my best and because it's fun and I love playing around with it. It makes me feel good. If anyone has a problem with that then that's just what it is, their problem.

Do what you want, it's your face, it's your make up it has nothing to do with them.

RedRibbon

Not at all. I wear it to make myself look a bit better than I do without it..wearing a tonne of makeup has always been an issue in my family, all my cousins whack it on with a trowel hoping that they will snag a man.. I've never believed in that. They used to deride me for not wearing a lot of makeup when we went to weddings etc saying I'd never get a man. Funny that when I met Mr RR I was completely bare faced and sleep deprived..They still fail to realise that at the end of the night they have to take their faces off and the man will be seeing a different woman when he wakes up..I don't think I've ever worn makeup and clothing in order to snag a man, I've honestly never seen the point.

anita22

Yes, this attitude annoys me sometimes too. For one thing, how does it explain all the married women out there who still wear makeup? Even my grandmother wears it, does it mean she's still out to snag a man despite being happily married for 50 years? What a saucy minx!
cutey.gif

I honestly think that for many women out there, makeup is a chore, more of an annoyance that one must undergo as a woman when formal occasions demand it (if one even bothers at all). They just can't comprehend that anyone would spend so much time and effort on their appearance, and can only come to the conclusion that it's so we can snag a bloke. I guess everyone has many different ways of feeling better about themselves, whether its by driving a nice car, wearing designer clothing, giving to the community, treating themselves to something nice, etc. Personally I don't claim to understand all of them, so I guess I can forgive someone for not understanding why I mainly wear makeup - that it's because it just makes me happier and more confident.

Not at all.

I wear makeup because I like it and it makes me feel put together. My fiance LOVES me without makeup and will try every little thing to make me not wear it.

Just a few weeks ago my fiance and I went to a gas station and the counter guy was like "Ma'm how do you get your cheeks like that?"

(He was referring the blush on my cheeks..how it's angled on my cheek bone)

I was like uhhh YOU JUST DO IT? Lol, I at first thought he was asking for himself than he goes, "I try getting my girlfriend to do that but she doesn't know how!" My fiance goes, "Ha, you're trying to get your gf to wear makeup and I'm trying to get mine NOT to."

I thought it was funny
smiles.gif

panther27

I wear makeup for myself,not anyone else.It's weird how people don't get that it's for fun.I have heard,you don't need to wear all that makeup,you're beautiful without it,it makes me wanna scream!

chocolategoddes

There was a thread started not too long ago about the "7 styles that scare guys" and this topic was breifly discussed. Someone was talking about how girl's actually dress to (subconciously)compete with each other, rather than dressing up to attract men. I totally agree with it.

I'm not going to lie. When I want attention from a guy, I definitely do my makeup a different way. I go for a much simpler and natural look, making my lashes look extra full and my cheeks flushed, my lips extra pouty. Show a little extra leg.... you know how that goes.

But other than those occasions, I'm wearing my obnoxiously bright e/s and super glossy lips FOR ME!