Do women wear make-up to attract the opposite sex?

Hikaru-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther27
I wear makeup for myself,not anyone else.It's weird how people don't get that it's for fun.I have heard,you don't need to wear all that makeup,you're beautiful without it,it makes me wanna scream!

I totally agree with you and It's okay when someone I know says it cause I'll just tell them to shut the hell up (in a nice way) and to be honest people who know me well enough know that I wear loud make-up for fun.
When a client does it I so feel like responding back with "well you have lovely natural nails, why do you have extensions put on" it all boils down to your own personal style and not because we need it or not.

Hikaru-chan

Thing is even when I'm wearing my day to day neutrals I'm still wearing a full face, where talking primer, luminizer, foundation, concealer, powder, a lid, crease and highlight color for the eyes, mascara, liner, brow gel, bronzer, blush, highlighter, lipstick and gloss. So does it mean every single day I'm wearing make-up because a guy is involved?
I only get the comments when I'm wearing it bolder, obviously it must have taken me ages to do in the morning (it doesn't, 45 minutes max) so obviously there must be a man involved.

I have had the same sort of attitude with my work clothes, I have to wear all black but apart from that I really can pretty much get away with almost anything (if your ass and boobs are hanging out then obviously that's not allowed). Now because I'm a cheepskate when it comes to stuff for work and because it inevitably gets wrecked real fast I'll usually buy a couple of thing and wear them constantly until they need to be trashed.
One of my last purchases was a short T-shirt style dress that I wear with leggins however one of my clients had to grill me on who I was trying to impress on shop floor, however it was simply because my old dress had gone all bobbly and looked a mess and also because our air-con at work is broke and the new dress doesn't make me feel as sweaty.

Laughable isn't it?

NernersHuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther27
I wear makeup for myself,not anyone else.It's weird how people don't get that it's for fun.I have heard,you don't need to wear all that makeup,you're beautiful without it,it makes me wanna scream!

It's funny but I believe people think they are trying to help when they say stuff like this. All it's ever done for me is make me feel like I have to freakin justify putting on makeup.

I wear it because I like it, simple as.

Miss QQ

I wear makeup for myself. I enjoy creating a look and I like the way I look and feel with makeup on. Generally, guys like girls with no obvious makeup on, nothing too colourful or dramatic so it would be boring to put on that type of makeup daily to attact guys.

It never occur to me that women wear makeup to attract the opposite sex until my colleague told me that two of our colleagues used to wear makeup to work daily until they have boyfriends, and then they don't bother much about makeup. I find it amusing and thought maybe they got tired of makeup?
th_dunno.gif
Sometimes even makeup fanatics like us get tired of makeup and take a break.

LMD84

i think i would have been angery too if i got a lecture like that!

honestly i wear my make up for me - i like applying it because i find it relaxing. i like playing about with different colours and textures because it's like art - i just happen to do it on my face and not a bit of paper. and of course i wear it when i'm feeling like poop with a face full of spots because it gives me that extra boost during the day - i'd feel paranoid when speaking to customers if i had a massive red spot on my face... put concealer on it and i don't think about it anymore!

of course there are times (well when i was single!) when i used make up to attract guys - but i also used clothing, shoes and hair too! and not to mention body language. if you;re trying to attract a guy i'd say you need more than make up to do it!

but don't feel bad and try not to stress. this lady had no idea what she was going on about.

k.a.t

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
There was a thread started not too long ago about the "7 styles that scare guys" and this topic was breifly discussed. Someone was talking about how girl's actually dress to (subconciously)compete with each other, rather than dressing up to attract men. I totally agree with it.

I'm not going to lie. When I want attention from a guy, I definitely do my makeup a different way. I go for a much simpler and natural look, making my lashes look extra full and my cheeks flushed, my lips extra pouty. Show a little extra leg.... you know how that goes.

But other than those occasions, I'm wearing my obnoxiously bright e/s and super glossy lips FOR ME!

I agree with you on doing your make up differently when you're trying to impress a guy, going more 'natural' instead of bright 'n' crazy which I do for my own fun and amusement
greengrin.gif
LOL

Although I have to say some guys do like the bright looks..in college I would get compliments from guys when I done a bright look so I don't think all guys are 'against' make up per se, some of them actually appreciate the creative side of it.
smiles.gif

ginger9

No, I wouldn't say it's just to attract members of the opposite sex, sometimes it's just simply my own vanity.
tong.gif

mahreez

i don't wear makeup to attract guys. infact,my bf loves it when i don't wear any makeup at all, and couldn't care less what i wear.

but there was one time when he asked me, are you wearing makeup you look kinda nice and i was wearing mac cosmo lipstick and then it figures, he likes natural looks. although it made me happy he even noticed it...i am not exactly wishing he would.
smiles.gif

LiAnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru-chan
Okay so I know this is quite random question but something someone said something to me a few weeks ago and it's been annoying me ever since.

A regular client of mine had come in for her infills and instead of greeting me her usual way the first thing she said to me was "look at you, don't you look pretty today, who's the lucky fella" now there's me standing there completely clueless as to what she's going on about, as far as I know I have no new fella so I had to ask for clarification as to what's she meant. She goes on to say "well look at all the make-up your wearing, there must be someone", I don't quite know why but that statement had and still does really bother me.

After I had explained that no there's no one new and my make-up look can change quite a bit depending how much time I have in the morning and what mood I'm in she proceded to give me a long speech on how women only ever make an effort if there's a man involved and that basically I was lying.
I literally wanted to scream at her to shut the hell up.

My usual look is pretty natural usually beige and browns on eyes, bronzed skin and nude lips, however I am known for wearing some pretty outrageous make-up at work, most people say nothing, a few decide that I must obviously be doing it to attract a mate.
Red lips is the one that gets me all the time and causes me more hassle than it's worth to the point I think I'm gonna stop wearing it to avoid the repetitive questionare I get from it not the mention the amount of times I affectionatly get called a slut.

What I can't seem to get trough to some people is that make-up is how I express myself creatively and I do it for me no one else, if I feel in a bright purple eyeshadow and fuschia lips kinda mood it doesn't mean that I'm doing it to attract the opposite sex I'm doing it cause I like that look.
If anything I should imagine that my "clown look" (yes I've had that comment too) would send guys running, the vast majority of them seem to prefer the natural look.

Now it's got me wondering if there are women out there that do put on make-up for the sole purpose of impressing guy and to make themselves more attractive and I'm not talking about using make-up to accentuate your best features I mean wearing a mask of make-up cause they feel that they couldn't get a guy otherwise.

Some people just think that way.

I don't happen to agree with their thinking. If I want to wear a full skirt one day and yoga pants the next, it's because that's what I want to wear - not because I'm trying to impress someone on the skirt-day. I wear my clothing, my makeup, et cetera, for the same reason I walk every day: to make myself feel good, because I want to, because I enjoy it. That lets me have a less "polished" day without feeling like a slob, lets me wear extra makeup or experiment with a new style (or colors) without worrying "is it perfect, because it has to be perfect because I'm wearing this for someone else"...lets me do what I want for my own reasons. I am more content that way.

onlyoneeye

You really have to develop a thick skin and not let what other people say get to you. I don't care what other people think about my makeup. I like to wear it thick and heavy especially eye makeup. I watch RuPaul's Drag Race for inspiration. I don't wear makeup every day but when I do I like to throw it on. I'm really a gay man trapped in a straight woman's body. The ultimate compliment is when a gay man tells me my makeup looks fierce. Straight men just don't get it.

My mother goes into a tizzy when I wear blue eyeshadow. My uncle always says I don't need to wear as much makeup as I do every single time he sees me with makeup on.

chocolategoddes

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyoneeye
I'm really a gay man trapped in a straight woman's body.

Join the club.

But you're right. When I get compliments from gay guys on my makeup, that's when I KNOW I'm doing something right.
smiles.gif

kimmy

there have been polls that have proven that the majority of men actually prefer a woman to wear little to no makeup. in light of that, i still don't understand why wearing alot of makeup automatically makes people think you're trying to get in on someone...

kabuki_KILLER

I agree with most of you. Most of the guys that have liked me really don't care make up or no make up. In fact, I think I met most of them with no make up on. I don't really think about it. If a guy is going to be so picky over how you look, I don't think he's worth the effort anyway. What about charm, brains and personality? 8D

ForgetRegret

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
But you're right. When I get compliments from gay guys on my makeup, that's when I KNOW I'm doing something right.
smiles.gif

OMG, last time I was at my MAC counter, the two unabashedly gay MAs fawned for like...5 minutes (I love those boys...they're SO sweet). I felt like the coolest chick in the world! LOL

OP, I think that lady was a narrow-minded twit. It's one thing if she assumes that you're all spiffed up for a guy, but for her to insist you're a liar when you told her it wasn't for a guy..? What the hell?? I agree with all these other lovely Specktrettes...I wear makeup for me. I spend my 8 hour work day in a horrendous uniform, wearing no makeup (because I get yelled at every time I try to wear it...apparently my "natural" isn't natural to the Navy...
thmbdn.gif
), with my hair pulled back, and feeling like an androgynous droid. So when I've got somewhere to go, hell yeah I'm gonna snazzy myself up...it makes me feel like a girl...and when I'm wearing makeup, I can actually look in the mirror and honestly say that I think I look beautiful. I can't do that without it...
Besides...I'm having a devil of a time losing my baby weight...so I feel like crap about my body...makeup helps a little...at least I know that part of me still looks good. LOL

MacNlaw

When I was a teenager or early 20's yeah I'd care how my makeup looked to impress the guys but that was many years ago and very normal for young girls/gals.

Now I wear it (when I do) because it makes me feel good & have fun playing with different looks. It has nothing to do with anyone else but myself.

Was it an much older lady, if so it's kinda funny how the mentally is of a different generation. Thats how they did think and were told, "too look good for there man". Thank god times have changed
smiles.gif

kelly2509t

I wear make up because it makes me feel good! I enjoy putting it on and the process of creating different looks. I wear the same amount of make up (apart from eye shadow that changes) everyday. I wouldn't put more on to try and attract someone. I would rather attract them with my personality than the way I looked.

DILLIGAF

Quite simply ladies its called projection. They are simply thinking you must being doing your makeup for the same reasons they would. Some people can't fathom that someone else would do things differently from them.

Nicala

It's annoying how some women think that they will find a mate by wearing a mask of make up. When someone likes you, they like you for YOU, not what you're wearing on your face. Either way, guys prefer women with less make up.

Imagine you sleep on a pillow with your mate next to you and wake up with an imprint of your make up on there!

That happened to my friend actually.. her foundation stuck to his shirt when they were hugging.. *facepalm*

jazmatazz

Most of my friends don't wear makeup and it offends me when one of them makes a comment about my makeup that I'm trying to impress people, look prettier than I am or am going to go and 'put on my face'. I've learned to just ignore it. There's no way for me to explain that doing my makeup is my favorite part of the day, just for me and lets me be creative and artsy.

It's not to impress the opposite sex at all because as many mentioned, a lot of guys prefer less makeup. Even knowing this I've always kept my same makeup routine when going on dates, etc.