Identifying fake MAC Pigments ***Guide with photos***

kdd2411

Yes, thank you for all the helpful information. I had no idea there was so much fake MAC floating around.

panda0410

I'm pretty sure I can see the hallmark of counterfeit in the base. I did a swatch here actually of fake vs real grey glitter - I'll see if I can drag the link up for you with the comparison pics
smiles.gif

marusia

It's fake, it looks just like my fake. Also, accidentalbeauty.com (missresha on here) has a blog on it. Plus, for one, there's no way in hell they would have 6, and furthermore, it would def. be more than 20 bucks!
ssad.gif

Sorry!

pleomorphic

Thank you everyone for helping me avoid a disaster! I saw that she had six as well, and thought well...maybe she stockpiled?
th_dunno.gif
Possible, but not probable. Thanks all!
yes.gif

vegas1

RE: Water base Mixing Medium - Has anyone ever gotten a fake one? The reason I believe this one is, besides the fact that the code number is not the same as those being sold right now (and according to the code, it was the 1st batch, made in June, 2006 - however, the one's being sold right now, are A10, so how could the 2nd batch be older than the new one?), is the box. It's the type that leaves a scratch mark when you run your finger nail across it, just like the fake pigment & eye shadow boxes. I've seen many black MAC boxes, and NONE of the authentic one's do this. Could someone with A LOT of experience with MAC, confirm this. By the way, the bottle DOES have the measurement markings too, but that box is just so dang obvious!

Junkie

Either of these look questionable to anyone?

TIA!

33m6hsn.jpg

2sblboz.jpg

2lv0g2w.jpg

30rp2k4.jpg

rv93jt.jpg

238xtj.jpg

The second jar on the right didn't have the plastic cap insert and no box either - so I can't compare those.

summerblue

I'm not a pigment pro by any means, but with what I have & what I see here, they both look authentic to me. I have a a few duplicates of the same pigments & the the font on the bottom label varies & looks just like these look. The printing on the jar & the jar itself looks authentic. Also, the pigment color appears to be identical; you don't get that with a dupe. For the couple of fakes I have, the colors are nothing like MAC's.

Interested in hearing what others have to say.

Rootlily

People are unbelievable. What they would do for money. There is a flea market kind of near my house that sells bogus M.A.C... They charge $13 for pigments, $10 for pressed shadows etc. Everytime i go to the market, I stop at their booth and say "WOW!! Only $10 for FAKE M.A.C!! What a DEAL!!!" then look at them angrily, and walk away. Like previously mentioned, only God knows what is used to make these "cosmetics"!! It is a shame, but Buyer Beware!!! Thank you again for the post!

MissResha

the edges on the caps of those subtle pigments are bothering me, esp the second jar...i cant tell 100% if they're fake or not from that angle, but its fishy..

1165Cheryl

I agree about the edges but have to say I have got some directly from MAC with the unfinished edge look. For example I was going through my stock today and saw a Kelly green jar I bought on 12/09 that has the edges like that. I mark on all my box's the date I bought it and if it came from MAC PRO or MAC cosmetics along with any changes or other abnormal markings. During my many years in business, years wearing pigment (since it was made:) and the current process of selling off my stock it's amazing how many errors there can be on a authentic MAC item. Not big one's but big enough to make someone assume a product is a fake when in fact it isnt and most of them usually involve the jars/lids more so then the box's.

I guess what I'm trying to say, just like in life not everything is set in stone. Guidelines are great and a blessing in this business but mistakes do happen (not talking about the real obvious signs of a fake) . I have mulitple jars of the same color some made years apart so I personally wouldnt use those to compare to each other, it's always best when comparing to use one from the same batch. The information in this forum and specktra in whole is fantastic and has helped me and so many others and in more area then one especially when I was first starting my business. This website is the T Without it I know so many people would end up with fakes from ebay, ect without knowing it so please if your new to MAC or whatever use guidlines but coming here also like Junkie did helps so people who have a wide range of stock, both old and new batch's can help too. I personally feel Specktra is the best website there is like this and give Janice a big thumbs up for all her hard work to keep this place running for us and providing so many different ways of information and ways to connect to others. Along with a big thanks for all the work and info from Xqueeze_me
hatsoff.gif
th_star.gif

WoW sorry for going on and on...I guess I got into my rambling mode:)

miagirl07

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAC-Pigment-Your-Ladyship-New-Box-/260677835371?pt=US_Makeup_Eyes&hash=item3cb19c1a6b

Any idea if this is authentic?

crazyT

ugh...wish I would have known about this site over a year ago..girl came into our school and sold some that she got from ebay and they are definately the fake ones and not the real...I have a drawer full of pigments that are not real!!! grrrr
ohboy.gif

Xqueeze_me

Hello everyone! Glad this thread is still alive.. hehe!

Hope everyone is well and not being duped by evil fake MAC sellers!

LMD84

Hello everyone! Glad this thread is still alive.. hehe!

Hope everyone is well and not being duped by evil fake MAC sellers!
thanks to everybody on specktra i have never been tricked into buying fake mac in many many years. only once did a i buy a fake pigment and that was back in 2006 i think

Latest posts