M*A*D Minerals

entipy

How about a M*A*D Minerals sticky forum/thread?
smiles.gif

Briar

Re: M*A*D Minerals Sticky?

Okeydokey!

I just got another order from them yesterday. I ordered several shades that were more neutral/lighter to use as highlight shades, and another indelible gel liner in whatever the dark green is (forgot, sorry).

I've found some of the darker blue and purple shades get kindof muddy on me when I blend them.. they end up looking just charcoal-ish instead of whatever shade they are in the pot. Any ideas for preventing this?

entipy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar
I just got another order from them yesterday. I ordered several shades that were more neutral/lighter to use as highlight shades, and another indelible gel liner in whatever the dark green is (forgot, sorry).

I've found some of the darker blue and purple shades get kindof muddy on me when I blend them.. they end up looking just charcoal-ish instead of whatever shade they are in the pot. Any ideas for preventing this?

The dark green is Endangered. Awesome color!

Which blue and purple shades do you mean? I've found some of them can be difficult on occasion. However, after I blend, I almost *always* go back and dab on/add more color because they WILL get muddy/washed out some when you blend them. I've also found that - as much as I love minerals! - the colors don't layer nearly as well as traditional e/s like MAC.

alien21xx

Hmm I agree about darker colors going muddy, though this isn't a problem I encounter with my MAD e/s as I only order bright colored stuff from MAD.

I love the brights! Not necessarily those extra bright rainbow colors, but even just the other normal bright-colored multi-purpose minerals like Blue Jay and Peridot Stone... I love those because they have a much brighter color than MAC Turquoise pigment and Azreal Blue Pigment. I think the MAC staying power is unbeatable and I need less pigment to get the level of color intensity I want, but the brights that I find in MAD collections are lovely.

I just wish that some of the minerals didn't come in those opaque jars as they get so messy unlike the clear jars. None of my other minerals have spilled in my traincase the way MAD spills in my traincase.
ssad.gif

gigglegirl

Just got my 1st MAD order. Got two gel liners (Marcasite and Black Cherry). Perhaps I have to let the indelible come to room temperature but at first touch Marcasite seems kind dry already. I don't like the lids. *shrug*

Its almost like I need an even firmer brush than the ones I'm using (and I'm not sure there would be anything firmer). Black Cherry though is SUCH a beautiful burgundy shimmer colour--I cannot wait to use this!

And she gave me a sample of Alter Ego....oh boy, now I can start coveting the loose minerals :S

Julie (and anyone else who perhaps has tried it)...does Wreckless compare as a pretty good dupe for MAC Sunpepper pigment?

entipy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien21xx
I just wish that some of the minerals didn't come in those opaque jars as they get so messy unlike the clear jars. None of my other minerals have spilled in my traincase the way MAD spills in my traincase.
ssad.gif

Opaque jars? Hmmm. Mine come in clear jars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglegirl
Just got my 1st MAD order. Got two gel liners (Marcasite and Black Cherry). Perhaps I have to let the indelible come to room temperature but at first touch Marcasite seems kind dry already. I don't like the lids. *shrug*

Its almost like I need an even firmer brush than the ones I'm using (and I'm not sure there would be anything firmer). Black Cherry though is SUCH a beautiful burgundy shimmer colour--I cannot wait to use this!

And she gave me a sample of Alter Ego....oh boy, now I can start coveting the loose minerals :S

Julie (and anyone else who perhaps has tried it)...does Wreckless compare as a pretty good dupe for MAC Sunpepper pigment?

Hi! If your Marcasite is dried out already, I would definitely contact Barbi at M*A*D and let her know. I'm sure she would be willing to send you another one. This happened with my Tidal Wave liner, too!

Be careful with Alter Ego! You definitely want to swatch that one before wearing it. LOL. It's really cool but doesn't look like it does in the pot once it's on!

I just so happen to have MAC's Sunpepper pigment, and Wreckless is not a good dupe for it. Wreckless is a great color, but it goes on a lot lighter and sheerer than you might suspect! Like I said about Alter Ego, you may want to swatch it first, so you know what it's going to do.

sharon7

Hi
I am thinking of getting a sample of the mineral powder foundation but I am not sure what my shade would be. I am MAC NC40 (north Indian origin). Please help.

Also, how do you rate the liquid and the powder.

Thanks

athena123

Has anyone tried MAD liquid minerals? This sounds so yummy, I'd love to hear from anyone who's used it!
smiles.gif

Briar

Quote:
Originally Posted by entipy
The dark green is Endangered. Awesome color!

Which blue and purple shades do you mean? I've found some of them can be difficult on occasion. However, after I blend, I almost *always* go back and dab on/add more color because they WILL get muddy/washed out some when you blend them. I've also found that - as much as I love minerals! - the colors don't layer nearly as well as traditional e/s like MAC.

I wish I could remember which ones specifically I've had problems with. I'll try to layer over after I blend to add a bit more color, that might do the trick, thanks.

And yes, Endangered is gorgeous! But you know me and greens.
th_wink3.gif

alien21xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by entipy
Opaque jars? Hmmm. Mine come in clear jars.

I got my Cat's Eye, Wild Mango, Twisted and Wedding in these opaque jars. I didn't mind Wedding, since I just got it for free, but the rest, I had to waste a lot of pigment wiping them off the screw surface of the jar.
ssad.gif
It also resulted in a lot of mess. I haven't really ordered the powders since because of this. Right now, I'm sticking to gel liners which are just made of absolute win!

gigglegirl

Can anyone else help me with comparing gel eyeliner textures? I have two from MAC and they are beautiful in picking them up with a brush and applying. The MAD ones, well maybe they are just inherently not exactly like MAC's. I don't know, I wore Black Cherry today and found it kinda "skipped" some parts on my eye, I had to go over it several times (whereas MAC is fairly easy to apply, usually the first swipe does it). I'm trying some of the tips on this board to make it more malleable, and also am going to try smushing it around with a small tool in hopes of making it creamier.

I'm going to keep trying before I try and return them.

knoxydoll

I'm a convert on the Gel Liners. They are honestly my new HG item. I find them better then fluidlines and you get more for cheaper, so that's always a plus in my mind.

gigglegirl

Knoxy-have you found a difference in texture/creaminess? Is there anything special you do to your indelible liner for application? or maybe i did get duds like Julie mentioned above. I just don't want to return something that is perfect but I am forcing my idea of what it should be on it. LOL its getting late!

knoxydoll

Quote:
Knoxy-have you found a difference in texture/creaminess? Is there anything special you do to your indelible liner for application? or maybe i did get duds like Julie mentioned above. I just don't want to return something that is perfect but I am forcing my idea of what it should be on it. LOL its getting late!

I find that the only big difference between them and fluidlines is that they're sheerer so I usually have to apply them twice. The texture is a little different from f/l mainly they seem less creamy and more gel. You have to load up your brush by swiping it back and forth on the product instead or just dipping /tapping like fluidlines. I adore these products and it's possible you just received a dud.

entipy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon7
Hi
I am thinking of getting a sample of the mineral powder foundation but I am not sure what my shade would be. I am MAC NC40 (north Indian origin). Please help.

Also, how do you rate the liquid and the powder.

Thanks

Hmm. I'm not sure what MAC NC40 would be. MAD has a foundation chart you can look at here: MAD Minerals Mineral Makeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena123
Has anyone tried MAD liquid minerals? This sounds so yummy, I'd love to hear from anyone who's used it!
smiles.gif

RE: the liquids - I don't care for them, myself. You have to work quickly with them because they dry faster than normal liquid foundations. The coverage I've tried is also too sheer for me. However, that's not to say they wouldn't work for others, of course. The quality is very good; I just prefer the powder minerals now.

Quote:
Can anyone else help me with comparing gel eyeliner textures? I have two from MAC and they are beautiful in picking them up with a brush and applying. The MAD ones, well maybe they are just inherently not exactly like MAC's. I don't know, I wore Black Cherry today and found it kinda "skipped" some parts on my eye, I had to go over it several times (whereas MAC is fairly easy to apply, usually the first swipe does it). I'm trying some of the tips on this board to make it more malleable, and also am going to try smushing it around with a small tool in hopes of making it creamier.

I'm going to keep trying before I try and return them.

I think knoxy pretty much answered this. The texture is quite different from f/l. It's thicker and drier and takes more to get enough on the brush. With some colors I have to go back and add but rarely. Usually, I just make sure and load up my brush really well before lining. If you receive one that is DRY, as in you run your brush through it several times with adequate pressure and NOTHING happens - you should return it. Otherwise, it's probably fine. Definitely not "fluid" like the f/l.
winks.gif

gigglegirl

Thank you both Knoxy and Julie! I found if i smushed it around it did start getting a better texture, so its just something new to try and learn the application with these vs. f/l. I definitely didn't get a rock solid one that doesn't move, it just took some effort, but you guys definitely answered my question! You gals rock!!

Black Cherry is just too beautiful to pass up!

Briar

I love those indelible gel liners so much. I tend to get too much goop on my brush with my MAC fluidlines while the MAD gel liners are just right! I guess I'm a bit heavy-handed, lol. Eventually I will own them all.

By the way, in case anyone is curious ('cause I was) I wrote the folks at MAD and asked if they produce their own mineral products, or repackage and re-sell a wholesale brand. In discussing mineral makeup on another online community it came to my attention that many of the online retailers selling mineral makeup are simply purchasing bulk brands, like Monave' and reselling them under their name. Well, I was delighted to find out that MAD creates their own product from raw materials, with the exception of the gel liners, other tradtional makeup, and brushes. I guess it means a lot to me to be able to support a small company that creates a quality product.

entipy

Quote:
Thank you both Knoxy and Julie! I found if i smushed it around it did start getting a better texture, so its just something new to try and learn the application with these vs. f/l. I definitely didn't get a rock solid one that doesn't move, it just took some effort, but you guys definitely answered my question! You gals rock!!

Black Cherry is just too beautiful to pass up!

You're welcome!
greengrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar
I love those indelible gel liners so much. I tend to get too much goop on my brush with my MAC fluidlines while the MAD gel liners are just right! I guess I'm a bit heavy-handed, lol. Eventually I will own them all.

By the way, in case anyone is curious ('cause I was) I wrote the folks at MAD and asked if they produce their own mineral products, or repackage and re-sell a wholesale brand. In discussing mineral makeup on another online community it came to my attention that many of the online retailers selling mineral makeup are simply purchasing bulk brands, like Monave' and reselling them under their name. Well, I was delighted to find out that MAD creates their own product from raw materials, with the exception of the gel liners, other tradtional makeup, and brushes. I guess it means a lot to me to be able to support a small company that creates a quality product.

I think I'm a bit heavy-handed, too, because I prefer the gel liners, also! Oh, and I already have them all. :p Hey, though... incoming PM!!!
winks.gif

entipy

Hey Briar - I saw you mentioned something about a glowy powder over in the Meow thread. M*A*D's Flash Glow is great for that, and the Satin Glow is, too. Flash is stronger than Satin, and I've been using Flash Glow as a cheek highlighter for awhile.

Also, yesterday, I mixed in a bit of Tickle Me Pink with my finishing powder. (I forgot to list it in my products usedl.) It imparted a nice little bright sparkle-y glowy thingie. But not over the top.

Just thought I'd share!