MAC Masterclass Brush Collection (November 2013)

sss215

i think i want to try the large one. Dustin made a good point about using these brushes if you wear glasses. I hope more videos and reviews show up soon.

katred

Specktra Bestie
Has anyone tried them yet on themselves? I'm sooooo tempted to get the big one!
I caved and bought the big one. I was too curious. I tried it this morning and it's extremely soft and I do find it applies blush very well. Because the head is quite dense (like mine...), you get more colour payoff than you would with a fluffier brush like the 168. It buffs colour into the skin very nicely. It picks up a lot of colour, so you really don't have to swish the brush around to pick up pigment- just press it into the pan lightly and you're ready. I don't think I'd use this on brighter blushes that need to be blended out a lot, but it's excellent for softer colours or drier textures. I did not have a problem getting even coverage or blending the product over my cheeks using the brush.

I was told to wash it and leave it to dry standing up to avoid problems with the head.

It's an interesting tool and I like it, but it isn't a game-changer IMHO. At the moment, I can't say I'd recommend it as a staple, because I think it wouldn't work with really pigmented products. The real selling point to me is that it's incredibly soft and allows you to work product into the skin very well.

GlitterMUA

Quote:Originally Posted by patentg33k

"Pro Discount is not applicable"

Right??! I'm getting a little tired of this with MAC. Bad enough we already have to pay for the discount...smh

lilinah

1)
These new brushes are relatively ergonomically designed. Instead of having to cock your hand at an angle that isn't necessarily good for your wrist to apply makeup (which we're used to), you can just hold your wrist and hand at a less stressful angle (but which we're not yet used to)

I will be looking at the YouTube videos, but has anyone here used them? I'd love to hear about your experience.

My local store only has the mid-size and the small, guess i'll have to order on-line. Boooo

2)
I really really really HATE those bent angle eye liner brushes. The user is forced to use them at only one angle, and i like to rotate my brush or apply in different ways. I am really into fine lining - have been since i first used cake eyeliner back in the early to mid-1960s -- pretty much the only kind of liner there was - when the first liquids came out they were AWFUL. Because i saw so many people raving about them, I bought a bent liner brush (not MAC) a few years ago and did NOT like using it -- it was so frustrating! In fact, i stopped using it and it has been languishing in my brush kit for years.

But since i lost my super extra fine liner brush, i didn't have a brush with a fine enough point to apply gel liners/Fluidlines the way i prefer. So i recently got out my pliers and bent the ferule straight. MUCH better now and i use it all the time - i have MUCH more control and can use it multiple ways.

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by katred
I caved and bought the big one. I was too curious. I tried it this morning and it's extremely soft and I do find it applies blush very well. Because the head is quite dense (like mine...), you get more colour payoff than you would with a fluffier brush like the 168. It buffs colour into the skin very nicely. It picks up a lot of colour, so you really don't have to swish the brush around to pick up pigment- just press it into the pan lightly and you're ready. I don't think I'd use this on brighter blushes that need to be blended out a lot, but it's excellent for softer colours or drier textures. I did not have a problem getting even coverage or blending the product over my cheeks using the brush.
I was told to wash it and leave it to dry standing up to avoid problems with the head.

It's an interesting tool and I like it, but it isn't a game-changer IMHO. At the moment, I can't say I'd recommend it as a staple, because I think it wouldn't work with really pigmented products. The real selling point to me is that it's incredibly soft and allows you to work product into the skin very well.

Thank you. This sounds good. I'm seriously considering getting all three.

AutumnMoon

1)
These new brushes are relatively ergonomically designed. Instead of having to cock your hand at an angle that isn't necessarily good for your wrist to apply makeup (which we're used to), you can just hold your wrist and hand at a less stressful angle (but which we're not yet used to)

I will be looking at the YouTube videos, but has anyone here used them? I'd love to hear about your experience.

My local store only has the mid-size and the small, guess i'll have to order on-line. Boooo

2)
I really really really HATE those bent angle eye liner brushes. The user is forced to use them at only one angle, and i like to rotate my brush or apply in different ways. I am really into fine lining - have been since i first used cake eyeliner back in the early to mid-1960s -- pretty much the only kind of liner there was - when the first liquids came out they were AWFUL. Because i saw so many people raving about them, I bought a bent liner brush (not MAC) a few years ago and did NOT like using it -- it was so frustrating! In fact, i stopped using it and it has been languishing in my brush kit for years.

But since i lost my super extra fine liner brush, i didn't have a brush with a fine enough point to apply gel liners/Fluidlines the way i prefer. So i recently got out my pliers and bent the ferule straight. MUCH better now and i use it all the time - i have MUCH more control and can use it multiple ways.
I have the Linear 1 brush. So far I've used it to apply my fluidlines and I really love it. It gets much closer to the eye than my 266 small angle brush (which I love). I am a painter, but I still have somewhat shaky hands while applying liner, and even worse struggles when trying to line my right eye looking out of my left eye (the weaker of the two). I can apply my fluidline by either pushing the bristles straight onto my lid where I want the line to be, or by placing it against the lash line and gently pulling the brush straight across. I have washed it the regular way with MAC brush cleaner (before finding out you had to leave it standing to dry) and no bristles fell out and it kept its shape. I think this is a great brush and I am seriously considering buying the other two.

I hope this helps!

liba

I just wound up buying all 3 brushes after finally trying them in person! As soon as I used them, I was sold - and I don't buy every brush that comes down the pike.

Linear 1 is phenomenal for brushing the brows into place. I couldn't even believe how good the brush felt on them and how it groomed every hair perfectly. I didn't want to stop brushing them. With a tiny touch of brow gel, or even powder or the brow f/ls, you can make them look pristine. I also loved what it did for my lashes - I applied mascara and then went back over the lashes with the new brush and it created a very beautiful, natural look free from clumps. Much better than the standard lash brushes I would use before (I don't always use a lash brush in addition to mascara, but I like it with wet style mascaras, since I don't use an eyelash curler). I haven't used it yet to line the eyes but like Autumn Moon was saying, it'll be easy to get close into the lash line comfortable, unlike my angled brushed where I have to force myself to get in closer against the fear of poking my eye. It feels so soft and you have a sensation of control. I actually wound up getting 2 of these so I can have one for brows and liner and keep the other strictly for mascara.

Oval 3 I was originally going to skip, but I was also testing the Veluxe Pearlfusion shadows from Riri Holiday, which were so sparkly, and Oval 3 blended them well with one touch and ZERO fallout. For sparkly shadows, this is going to be the fallout buster - you barely need to touch the brush to the eye and your crease is perfectly blended out, again with a lot of control. I think it's because it's so dense, but the hairs are so fine. I can't wait to use it to apply the pressed pigments and EDES - I think it ought to give a very smooth, mirror-like application…I'll update when I have some time to play around with it.

Oval 6 is just fantastic. I used it to apply some Cream Color Bases and the effect is so smooth and flawless. Plus the brush feels so good on the skin. My first order of business is going to be trying it with foundation, to see if it gives enough control, but for highlighting, this brush is a no-brainer. Again, like the smaller one, it buffs without any extra effort and turns glitter and sparkle and frostiness down into smooth sheen, without feeling like you're grinding product into your pores, which I hate. My MSFs and sparkly MBs have just gone to the next level with this brush. I still love my 131, but I don't own another brush that smooths highlighter on as subtly as this one. Very impressed.

One thing my MA told me about washing these brushes: YOU NEED TO DRY THEM STANDING UP. If you lay them flat to dry, the water will pool at the base of the hairs, weakening them. So basically, when you're done cleaning them, just stand them upright in a cup or glass to dry. It won't hurt to get all the excess water off with a soft cloth first too.

AutumnMoon

I just wound up buying all 3 brushes after finally trying them in person! As soon as I used them, I was sold - and I don't buy every brush that comes down the pike. Linear 1 is phenomenal for brushing the brows into place. I couldn't even believe how good the brush felt on them and how it groomed every hair perfectly. I didn't want to stop brushing them. With a tiny touch of brow gel, or even powder or the brow f/ls, you can make them look pristine. I also loved what it did for my lashes - I applied mascara and then went back over the lashes with the new brush and it created a very beautiful, natural look free from clumps. Much better than the standard lash brushes I would use before (I don't always use a lash brush in addition to mascara, but I like it with wet style mascaras, since I don't use an eyelash curler). I haven't used it yet to line the eyes but like Autumn Moon was saying, it'll be easy to get close into the lash line comfortable, unlike my angled brushed where I have to force myself to get in closer against the fear of poking my eye. It feels so soft and you have a sensation of control. I actually wound up getting 2 of these so I can have one for brows and liner and keep the other strictly for mascara. Oval 3 I was originally going to skip, but I was also testing the Veluxe Pearlfusion shadows from Riri Holiday, which were so sparkly, and Oval 3 blended them well with one touch and ZERO fallout. For sparkly shadows, this is going to be the fallout buster - you barely need to touch the brush to the eye and your crease is perfectly blended out, again with a lot of control. I think it's because it's so dense, but the hairs are so fine. I can't wait to use it to apply the pressed pigments and EDES - I think it ought to give a very smooth, mirror-like application…I'll update when I have some time to play around with it. Oval 6 is just fantastic. I used it to apply some Cream Color Bases and the effect is so smooth and flawless. Plus the brush feels so good on the skin. My first order of business is going to be trying it with foundation, to see if it gives enough control, but for highlighting, this brush is a no-brainer. Again, like the smaller one, it buffs without any extra effort and turns glitter and sparkle and frostiness down into smooth sheen, without feeling like you're grinding product into your pores, which I hate. My MSFs and sparkly MBs have just gone to the next level with this brush. I still love my 131, but I don't own another brush that smooths highlighter on as subtly as this one. Very impressed. One thing my MA told me about washing these brushes: YOU NEED TO DRY THEM STANDING UP. If you lay them flat to dry, the water will pool at the base of the hairs, weakening them. So basically, when you're done cleaning them, just stand them upright in a cup or glass to dry. It won't hurt to get all the excess water off with a soft cloth first too.
I'm so glad to hear the other brushes are amazing because I am so close to buying the other two. I watched someone using the 3 yesterday and the eyeshadow just blended into the skin like butter. The eyeliner brush is just so soft and easy. It's worth it. I'd love to hear other people's experience with this.

liba

I'm so glad to hear the other brushes are amazing because I am so close to buying the other two. I watched someone using the 3 yesterday and the eyeshadow just blended into the skin like butter. The eyeliner brush is just so soft and easy. It's worth it. I'd love to hear other people's experience with this.
It's so true! I really appreciate a brush I don't need to manipulate much around my delicate eye skin and you barely need to touch the 3 to skin and boom, you're all blended.

Odelia

Has anyone tried using the Oval 3 for under eye concealer yet?
I am tempted to buy it for that purpose and I'm wondering if it would be suited for that delicate area.
The angle of the brush would make applying concealer a breeze for me but I worry that the bristles might not be soft enough.

MRV

I saw these today! So soft... I think I will look for more info and reviews, and then decide if I get any.

NaomiH

Karen has posted a video about these, I found it very helpful. http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com/mac-makeup/use-mac-masterclass-brushes-tips-tricks-video-mac-senior-artist-victor-cembellin/

NaomiH

Bronze meaning "i didn't grab the right colour"
lol.gif
Poor Karen, I hope she didn't end up looking too "bronzed" when she left.

MRV

I happened to see Karen's video, too. Now I'm really considering these. I would appreciate a miracle crease brush!
girlhaha.gif

abjarrett

Completely off topic, but is there a huge difference between Med Dark and Med Deep MSFN? I'm NC45 and already have Med Deep, but it's too dark and red for me. I'm worried that Med Dark will look ashy, but I don't live close enough to a MAC counter to try before buying.

NaomiH

I happened to see Karen's video, too. Now I'm really considering these. I would appreciate a miracle crease brush! :haha:
I'm considering them as well and plan on picking them up after Christmas hopefully.