Makeup artist against MAC/ MAC pushing independant artists out of the industry

em2chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by User27
Only a consumer but I've had too many products shoved on me by girls working counters. I love that they push any product despite it not looking good on me as a "this would work so well with your skin tone" or this "would stand out so well". The worst colors imaginable for me that I would never be able to pull off. I love people who tell me "no, that is way too bright of a blush for you" or this "isn't the right product" instead of worrying about a sale.

This is the main reason why I always take my sister to the counter with me for a second opinion when I shop for makeup. Yes, there have been times when I reached for that nude lipstick that "they thought" would look good on me , when in actuality made me look like death.
hmm.gif
And I feel you on the loud colored blushes. No one wants to walk around looking like Mimi from the Drew Carey show do they? lolool

LILYisatig3r

I truly sympathize with true MUA's who are unable to compete and feel that substandard people are taking their jobs. Especially when it's being done in a shady and underhanded manner. Unfortunately that's life when it comes to big business and I applaud them for standing their ground.
SO true. I've gone and had makeovers and felt gorgeous because of the way it complements my face. But at the same time, I've gone and had makeovers done where it didn't look good. At all. I actually had a friend I knew that worked at the local MAC counter do my makeup once and told her I wanted a smokey eye look that would fit my face. I'm Asian so my eyes make it a little hard to work with, she made me look like I got punched in the face ._. All I saw was black and it was way too close to my inner corner, it just made my eyes look ridiculously small. But then I went for another makeover with a new promotion they had, and the MA this time around that I didn't know, did my makeup gorgeous! I asked for the same look and she made it almost soft, but still sexy. It really depends because they do hire across the entire range and it's hit or miss. Some of them really know what they're talking about when you ask for advice, others don't know a darned thing. But that happens with everyone in every kind of industry I think.

I think the people who said all the harsh things at this site are being a bit dramatic. Every company is going to have haters. No matter what they do. I use MAC because it's the only brand that's actually worked for my face. I have really oily, picky skin and usually makeup just slides right off. But MAC is the one brand I can go to for continual use and dependency. As ChrisMakeupMan said, it's always up to the individual artist. I'm not a professional, I'm a normal consumer. So perhaps that's why I like it so much, who knows?