Makeup artist against MAC/ MAC pushing independant artists out of the industry

User49

The fact that mac has hate websites ect just goes to show that they have made a huge impact on the world. Whenever something big happens there will be people who don't notice, people who love it and people who hate it. I think it's a compliment because it just shows how big mac are. I personally don't understand why if you don't like something you have to pay any mind to it so they should get a life really. But I'm just glad we have a little website that embraces it! I love mac and wouldn't know what to do without it. The other brands just don't compare. x

glamdoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitternmyveins
The fact that mac has hate websites ect just goes to show that they have made a huge impact on the world. Whenever something big happens there will be people who don't notice, people who love it and people who hate it. I think it's a compliment because it just shows how big mac are. I personally don't understand why if you don't like something you have to pay any mind to it so they should get a life really. But I'm just glad we have a little website that embraces it! I love mac and wouldn't know what to do without it. The other brands just don't compare. x

I think you don't comprehend the issue with MAC. You are seeing it from a customer point of view, you love the product and think "well who cares if others dont like it" Here we are talking about people's jobs. What they do for a living to feed their families, to pay their bills.

I personally don't have anything against MAC, I like the product but I know there are other brands just as good and even better.

Glittermyveins, I don't know what you do for a living, but imagine that in your job field, someone you helped get a job, you put them on the map. Then suddenly that person is putting you out of work by doing the job for cheaper even free, not only that thier job performance is not as good as it use to be but when they charge they charge more (in reference to the product).

It does have an impact on people because what they do for a living, is being jeopardyzed.

Caramel_QT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorplove
Another thing I will say is NOT everyone knows how to use MAC's foundations properly. Almost all the women that I've ever met or came to my counter had really messed up skin or the foundation looked like garbage on them. The MAC girls on the other hand ALWAYS look flawless. I finally asked one of them what the secret is and they said you MUST USE A BRUSH WITH STUDIO FIX or the liquid foundations. She also said many of these women will wear a liquid underneath the STUDIO FIX and wonder why their look like crap. MAC sells PRESSED POWDERS that are supposed to be worn over their foundations. NOT THE STUDIO FIX. Also, Studio Fix is not supposed to be used as a touch up throughout the day.

Yep. But I've actually been told both ways of wearing the SF by MAC artists. One said I could set my foundation (studio tech) with Studio Fix (???) um, can you say breakout city?? Of course I never did that. Another told me to set with MSF natural, blot or the regular pressed powder. I use the MSF religiously and blot with my blot powder throughout the day - which I find can layer up and cake during the day, if I don't use a brush.

I dunno go figure.
th_dunno.gif

hollyberry84

I have been freelance MUA for 3 years and I do consider myself an "ARTIST". Not only an artist but someone who genuinly cares about the people I work with.
I thank MAC for hiring me and seeing my potential even if at first, when I was just starting to follow my dream.
Why do are there so many haters? I believe true artist don't dwell on negativity and focus on beautifying all around them. Accentuating the positive! (Im sure youve heard that one!!)
Let people love MAC! MAC is a phenomanon!

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyberry84
I have been freelance MUA for 3 years and I do consider myself an "ARTIST". Not only an artist but someone who genuinly cares about the people I work with.
I thank MAC for hiring me and seeing my potential even if at first, when I was just starting to follow my dream.
Why do are there so many haters? I believe true artist don't dwell on negativity and focus on beautifying all around them. Accentuating the positive! (Im sure youve heard that one!!)
Let people love MAC! MAC is a phenomanon!

The "haters" are the independent MA artists that are not affiliated with MAC. They are getting shut out of lots of what used to be high paying gigs because MAC offers the production companies/fashion designers, etc free product and labor. I freelance for MAC as well, but I also do my gigs on the side, and let me tell you, any production company is going to go for the free goods and services before paying an MA top dollar for his/her skills. It's simple economics...why pay when you can get it for free? Of course, you get what you pay for...

pixichik77

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
The "haters" are the independent MA artists that are not affiliated with MAC. They are getting shut out of lots of what used to be high paying gigs because MAC offers the production companies/fashion designers, etc free product and labor. I freelance for MAC as well, but I also do my gigs on the side, and let me tell you, any production company is going to go for the free goods and services before paying an MA top dollar for his/her skills. It's simple economics...why pay when you can get it for free? Of course, you get what you pay for...

I cannot agree more. And in reality, everyone loses. MAC is not only undercutting the union artists, but not paying their artists the same rate. You know how "everyone" get upset at Walmart for undercutting prices and yet only paying their workers minimum, or forcing them to be part time so Walmart doesn't have to pay benefits? This is the same thing; because MAC is approaching the companies, and you hire MAC, not thru, say, the union (which has it's own representation and contracts), MAC can pay their artists whatever they want. Freelance pay, etc.

We are not being haters just to hate. We are upset becaus eit is bringing the entire industry down. All the things artist before us have fought for are being eroded by these practices.

foxykita143

Ok...I DO understand what they are saying, but honestly, if you have a talent, people will come to you no matter what. Yeah I know it makes business a little harder to come by, but if people who use MAC are clones and talentless, dont you think your client would see that the new look doesn't compare to the one you used to give her, and she will come back to you? If she doesn't, it would have happened regardless of any MAC "brainwashing". Her friend would tell her about "the guy who did Sharon's bridal make up" and BOOM. Client gone. And yes, MAC does come out very quickly, but look at the demand, even just on Speckta, to find out what the next line will be and the quickest way to get them. I think it's fun to be able to collect something I love, and have something in common with thousands of other girls and guys. It's part of the whole thrill of buying MAC to me. And yes, you can say thats a sales technique which it probably is but even still, I genuinely love the colors, the consistency, and the quality. I've never once been able to find concealers or foundations that work for me but with MAC I found it on the first try. I dont think it's a bad thing that there are so many products coming out, that gives you so many more options and colors to choose from and play with. I dont think EVERYTHING they have is the new super product because honestly--some of it is pure crap. That doesn't change the fact that many of the perms are always going to be amazing and totally worth every penny.

-edit- I really dont mean to sound like a b**** towards the MUA who are getting the short end of the stick, but shutting down/boycotting a major company wont do anything, because it will just keep happening. Now I'm not saying anyone on here said they wanted to do that, all I'm saying is there will ALWAYS be competition, no matter who or what its coming from. This just gives you an opportunity to pull out all of your creativity and really test your skills and perfect your craft. So if you look at it from an optimistic point of view and consider it a challenge, it may actually benefit you in the long run.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxykita143
And yes, MAC does come out very quickly, but look at the demand, even just on Speckta, to find out what the next line will be and the quickest way to get them. I think it's fun to be able to collect something I love, and have something in common with thousands of other girls and guys. It's part of the whole thrill of buying MAC to me. And yes, you can say thats a sales technique which it probably is but even still, I genuinely love the colors, the consistency, and the quality. I've never once been able to find concealers or foundations that work for me but with MAC I found it on the first try. I dont think it's a bad thing that there are so many products coming out, that gives you so many more options and colors to choose from and play with. I dont think EVERYTHING they have is the new super product because honestly--some of it is pure crap. That doesn't change the fact that many of the perms are always going to be amazing and totally worth every penny.

I have to agree. I'm not an artist, just another bulging-eyed, foaming-at-the-mouth consumer, but I think the LE collections are lots of fun, especially since once in a while MAC comes out with a product like "Sunnydaze" pigment, or "Port Red" lipstick, and I love it so much that I can't seem to get enough.
eyelove.gif
drools.gif

It's not just the LE products, either. I didn't discover MAC until 2005, when I was 41 years old, and had survived a catastrophic illness. When I got "Satin Taupe" eyeshadow, it was as if I'd been looking for it all my adult life, and just hadn't realized it. The shade, the finish, the undertones are all just so perfect on me.
It was the same with "Powerhouse" lipstick(now discontinued, but I'm backed up). I had been consciously looking, since my mid 20s, for a lipstick that would look genuinely red, NOT pink, on me, and "Powerhouse" came through for me! It was a revelation. No more being asked, "Why are you wearing pink lipstick with a red top?"

foxykita143

Quote:
Originally Posted by cno64
I have to agree. I'm not an artist, just another bulging-eyed, foaming-at-the-mouth consumer, but I think the LE collections are lots of fun, especially since once in a while MAC comes out with a product like "Sunnydaze" pigment, or "Port Red" lipstick, and I love it so much that I can't seem to get enough.
eyelove.gif
drools.gif

It's not just the LE products, either. I didn't discover MAC until 2005, when I was 41 years old, and had survived a catastrophic illness. When I got "Satin Taupe" eyeshadow, it was as if I'd been looking for it all my adult life, and just hadn't realized it. The shade, the finish, the undertones are all just so perfect on me.
It was the same with "Powerhouse" lipstick(now discontinued, but I'm backed up). I had been consciously looking, since my mid 20s, for a lipstick that would look genuinely red, NOT pink, on me, and "Powerhouse" came through for me! It was a revelation. No more being asked, "Why are you wearing pink lipstick with a red top?"

I totally agree. I've never had one line where I can walk in a find a new HG or new top 5 favorite EVERYTIME I walk in the store
yahoo.gif

duddelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by user4
"MAC is great for MUA wannabees at this point."
"Again, this is just my opinion, as I am sure there are many out there who will argue with me and think that they are more bomb diggity than ever...."

WHAT I DONT UNDERSTAND IS WHY PEOPLE FEEL THE NEED TO SAY SHIT LIKE THIS AND DISRESPECT OTHER'S OPINIONS. PEOPLE CAN BE SO SELF INVOLVED IN THEIR LITTLE IM A MAKE UP ARTIST WORLD THAT THEY FORGET THAT THEY STARTED OFF IN THE SAME PLACE AS EVERYONE ELSE DID... STEALING THEIR MOMMY'S LIPSTICK WHEN THEY WERE 5!!! MAKES ME KINDA MAD!

Makes me KINDA mad too MAN. What do these make up artists expect? Of course, MAC will try to sponsor as many shows as they can. That's one of the advantages of being a company. It is unfortunate for some independent MAs who have to compete with MAC MA's rates.

duddelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxykita143
Ok...I DO understand what they are saying, but honestly, if you have a talent, people will come to you no matter what. Yeah I know it makes business a little harder to come by, but if people who use MAC are clones and talentless, dont you think your client would see that the new look doesn't compare to the one you used to give her, and she will come back to you? If she doesn't, it would have happened regardless of any MAC "brainwashing". Her friend would tell her about "the guy who did Sharon's bridal make up" and BOOM. Client gone. And yes, MAC does come out very quickly, but look at the demand, even just on Speckta, to find out what the next line will be and the quickest way to get them. I think it's fun to be able to collect something I love, and have something in common with thousands of other girls and guys. It's part of the whole thrill of buying MAC to me. And yes, you can say thats a sales technique which it probably is but even still, I genuinely love the colors, the consistency, and the quality. I've never once been able to find concealers or foundations that work for me but with MAC I found it on the first try. I dont think it's a bad thing that there are so many products coming out, that gives you so many more options and colors to choose from and play with. I dont think EVERYTHING they have is the new super product because honestly--some of it is pure crap. That doesn't change the fact that many of the perms are always going to be amazing and totally worth every penny.

-edit- I really dont mean to sound like a b**** towards the MUA who are getting the short end of the stick, but shutting down/boycotting a major company wont do anything, because it will just keep happening. Now I'm not saying anyone on here said they wanted to do that, all I'm saying is there will ALWAYS be competition, no matter who or what its coming from. This just gives you an opportunity to pull out all of your creativity and really test your skills and perfect your craft. So if you look at it from an optimistic point of view and consider it a challenge, it may actually benefit you in the long run.

RIGHT ON WOMAN. I got yo MAC BAC. <3

Mabelle

Wow. SO they're surprised that a huge multi million dollar company is offering cheap service, and that clients would rather go with said huge reputable more cost effective company and not a free lance makeup artist?

Welcome to the real world. This is the same thing in every field. Big companies will take you're work if you can't compete, it sucks, but that doesn't make them evil. It makes them successful.

Lexxiii

I've read these sorts of things about MAC before... and honestly, at this point it doesn't bother me since I'm a casual freelance artist who doesn't get big enough gigs for it to make a difference. However, I'm certain that once I'm older and start becoming higher up on the freelance scale this sort of thing from a company will not stand and I will refuse to support such scheming.

DirtyPlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
Welcome to the real world. This is the same thing in every field. Big companies will take you're work if you can't compete, it sucks, but that doesn't make them evil. It makes them successful.

Thats kinda my take on it too... its not nice for MUAs or for any other self-employed person in any industry but it happens all the time.

The same thing happens for small shop owners... large multinational supermarkets (for eg) will come into a town and wipe out business for any sole trading grocery store.

Boycotting is pointless IMO - if u cant beat em, join them.

DirtyPlum

As for the comment about MAC/EL 'pimping' out their MUAs for these gigs on the cheap, I'm sorry but sounds like someone has an inferiority complex. MAC MUAs have great opportunities to freelance with the company and absulotely nothing or noone prohibits us from freelancing independently if thats what we wanna do.

SonRisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorplove
I finally asked one of them what the secret is and they said you MUST USE A BRUSH WITH STUDIO FIX or the liquid foundations. She also said many of these women will wear a liquid underneath the STUDIO FIX and wonder why their look like crap. MAC sells PRESSED POWDERS that are supposed to be worn over their foundations. NOT THE STUDIO FIX. Also, Studio Fix is not supposed to be used as a touch up throughout the day.

Can I just say that we were more than encouraged at my counter to sell studio fix as if it were a product to use OVER foundation and for retouching. Why? Because it will increase your sale as it costs more than pressed powders. Straight out of managers/trainers mouths...

Ruby_Woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonRisa
Can I just say that we were more than encouraged at my counter to sell studio fix as if it were a product to use OVER foundation and for retouching. Why? Because it will increase your sale as it costs more than pressed powders. Straight out of managers/trainers mouths...

That is weird, because on my end, I use to do that when I didn't know studio fix was meant to be used on its own. I have been told not to sell it as a setting powder as we do carry select pressed and blot. And we also tell our customers to not retouch with it because, its like applying liquid foundation again.

weird.

katie_070405

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonRisa

Maybe you just have a umm....greedy manager. Sounds like they're about making sales instead of teaching people about products. kind of OT, but...
I am a personal trainer.....sometimes I have people ask about the gym I work at who are extremely overweight, diabetic, & can barely move around. Our gym doesn't have a pool (which is exactly what they need, water aerobics)....or aerobic classes, it is a hardcore bodybuilding gym. Am I going to suggest my gym.....hell no....why?? Because eventuly they will see that I lied to them just to get a sale. Sorry for the rant.....imo it's just bad business, & it sounds like your manager doesn't care.

jacobsmakeup

Well I work Freelance in the commercial world and music video world. It has been really slow right now and I havent worked in a month. So I though about working for MAC to let the time go by and not be competly broke, but after reading this I am not so sure... any suggestions?