What was/is your major in college and what is your job now?

twinks

I'm having problems finding a direction in life and I was wondering what would be a job that I would love. I'm 18 btw and starting college soon... I'd like to go to cosmetology school but my parents are totally against the idea so off to college I go....
ssad.gif
Thanks to everyone who answers!

Indigowaters

I'm an admin. asst./secretary (whatever you want to call it) and I'm going for graphic design. I started with art, then business, now I found a happy medium
smiles.gif

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinks
I'm having problems finding a direction in life and I was wondering what would be a job that I would love. I'm 18 btw and starting college soon... I'd like to go to cosmetology school but my parents are totally against the idea so off to college I go....
ssad.gif
Thanks to everyone who answers!

Lemme guess... They want you to get a degree so you can get a "real career" that will pay you enough $$$, not be a "poor" cosmotologist.

Sound familiar?

My parents did that same stuff with me. I ended up just dropping out of school 3 times, spending about $30,000 on several different degrees since I had no direction on what I actually wanted to do, since I was trying to do things they wanted, not what I wanted. I also never got my degree.

Why not show them a school like this: http://www.cinemamakeup.com/

If you look at their coursework, they offer coursework covering EVERYTHING you would need to get a job as a MUA in many different fields of makeup. When you talk cosmotology to your parents, they think the girl who works at MAC in the Nordies, not the people who do celebrity glamor makeup, or hollywood special effects. Tuition for some of their programs can cost up to 15k. They also offer campus dorms as well, so you can get the college expierence.

I'm just disapointed I didn't know about this school back when I graduated in 1999. I never really looked for a MU school back then since I didn't think there was things out there like this. And now I dont have the money needed to go to a school like this, I already spent all my college money on chasing my parents degrees, not mine.

lara

I have a BA with twin majors in advertising (spec. retail psychology & product/merchandising point of sale design) and writing (editing & copy writing). I worked as a small scale make-up artist through uni and then full-time after that, but I'm currently back at school getting a diploma in make-up art in order to pass certification boards for the MA licencing that's coming in Australia next year. It's essentially a year of twiddling my thumbs and missing out on jobs because of college, but I'll make up for it next year when everyone else goes 'oh shit' and scrambles for the educational certs needed for licencing.
lol.gif

The degree & the diploma mashed together are actually pretty useful; I'm currently chasing a job as a product branding consultant for a cosmetic company that Shall Not Be Named. Between all three aspects of my tertiary education, I'll never be out of a job.
smiles.gif

csuthetaphi

I went to college and majored in Chemical Engineering. I have worked two jobs as a chemist so far. My dream is to get into cosmetics chemistry and formulation.

My advice is just to do as much research as possible ( on different colleges, schools, scholarship programs, etc.) . Many students have no idea what they want to major in (I was a new student orientation leader, and helped all the freshmen), and it is not uncommon for them to switch majors a few times. Its hard with so many choices and opportunities out there. Some schools even have "personally designed majors", where you can sort of create your own major and curriculum.

http://www.cinemamakeup.com/

Wow..I went to that site! How cool!

cheerleader.gif

danabanayna

I had a similar experience....I received my Bachelor's in Criminology with a minor in Mass Communication (with hopes to become an attorney). After college, I became a MA for Lancome and my mother called me everyday to tell me that I didn't go to school to work behind a cosmetic counter for the rest of my life. I decided to get my Master's in Mass Communication to get her to leave me alone and I am now a Media Supervisor for a large corporation. Cosmetics are still my #1 love, though!!!!!!

Raerae

Well I would agree that if you just worked as a MA behind a counter it would be a wasted degree. But... Like Lara's example, you can use your degree to work in the field of cosmetics is you want to.

I'm sure there is a lot more to companies like MAC, than just the frontline of the company that we see at the counters and pro stores. They have an entire corporate side of their companis as well. Research, design, marketing, advertising, etc etc etc.

While in college, you also dont have to have a, "specialized degree." What I mean by that, is that you dont necessarily have to learn a skill or trade in college to use your degree. Obviously, that's going to depend on the degree you major in. But there are several broad degrees like Business, Communications, Marketing, and others (along with your under graduate course work) that serve to give you a global outlook in the working world.

It's really hard to put a lot of this together when your 18 or younger, but you start to understand the value of a degree (even a broad one) once you get involved with the other 1/2 of the working world. The corporate side, which isn't directly accessible or visible to the public. In retrospect I wish I had finished my business/marketing degree while I had the chance. I wish I had it today not because I want ANYTHING to do with business marketing. But merely for the interview opportunities that having a degree on paper provides.

Your parents aren't lying when they say a degree is a, "key" to a better job. I've lost track of the number of complete IDIOTS I've come across in the working world. Idiots who get paid signifigantly more than I do, not because they know more about how to do something, but because a piece of paper says they do. And being a girl doesn't help. Guys get the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are talking about. Women have to prove that they do (Sadly even to other women). So every little bit helps.

So remember you dont HAVE to go into college knowing what you want to do (I sure didn't, but thought I had too), you have plenty of time to figure that out after you graduate. Not to mention i would bet the vast majority of people didn't start working at their current jobs because it was their dream job. They started working becuase they had bills to pay, and mouths to feed.

So yah just remember. If you KNOW what you want to to, college is GREAT for that. But it's also great even if you dont know what you want to do. Also probably the one thing I forgot to mention. Life after college isn't always what you know, it's WHO you know. And college can be one of your greatest opportunities in life to meet as many people as you can, and to start building a reputation for yourself. And ironically it's great for that too. Join a Sorority (there is more to this than just partys), join tons of campus clubs, get involved with student body, do community service (there are types other than physical labor). Just whats availible through college can serve to give you an amazing resume for the day you graduate. But again, thats only if you want it. You can also do the bare minimum, and get nothing out of it other than a degree you dont know what to do with.

It really is up to you
smiles.gif

Hope that helps.

Wattage

I am graduating this year with a Bachelor of Human Kinetics, specilizing in Health and Fitness, with a minor in psychology.

I work as a personal trainer for people with disabilties. I also work in admin at one of western Canada's largest printing companies. This has nothing to do with my degree, but I have worked there since before I started my degree. They hire me back every summer and here and there during the school year.

My advice is to go to college, and do your first year. First and second year are so general, you really dont have to make any concrete decisions. Just keep your options open but have a general idea.

smiles.gif

LisaR

I started college as a business major, switched to photojournalism and finally settled on psychology. I graduated with a Bachelors of Science and got some graduate work under my belt but after working at one of our state hospitals I found I hated the work. So, I got my manicurist license, a partner and together we opened a nail salon and sold high end cosmetics for 15 years. That's where I first learned about make-up artistry! After all those years I married and decided on a career change and went to work with my husband in a start up internet company. We retired 5 years later when our business was sold to an international telecom company though I still did make-up on a frequent basis. I took a few years off from regular work but got bored, bored, BORED. I went back to school, got my aestheticians license, some certified training in make-up so I had something to put on my walls and opened my own facial aesthetics/make-up studio. I love it!!

I can honestly say that I use my degree more working in the business world than I ever did at the state hospital. Having a degree has opened more doors for me even though I'm in a business that requires nothing other than a 6 months stint in beauty school. If you can tough it out, stay in school, get that degree because you never know where it will lead you, what doors it might open or how you might use it.

Good luck!
smiles.gif

d_flawless

i'm a double major in fashion merchandising and spanish. i want to get a degree in the two things that interest me most, even though i'm currently working for aveda...however, the fashion thing ties in because i want to be the one @ runway shows, either doing make up or hair, predicting the trends; spanish is just a plus for living in northern california
winks.gif

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_flawless
spanish is just a plus for living in northern california
winks.gif

Retrospect moment lol I wish I had been more interested in Spanish. I'm a SoCal girl, so I tottally know what your saying. Although the way things are going, you'll need spanish anywhere in the US lol.

joytheobscure

BA in history 1999, went back 2000 -Teacher Ed. in Social Studies, with English Endorsement...2002-3 picked up grad hours in special ed. I tested for certification for English/Sped. I can teach two core areas and in one high need area, I always get job interviews. Pay sucks but I have the summers off and it works as a parent. The time off is worth it, its a major pulling factor in working as an educator. I wanted to be a history professor when I started college, but modified that goal as I began having children.

I would suggest that you go into what you are interested in. You could aim toward a "high end" cosmetology school (I'm sure they are out there). I certainly think that you should not waste a lot of money getting trained in something you won't like or are not passionate about.

jessiekins1

i high school and college i was set on becoming a chef and i did....i did it for 10 years. then i started hating cooking for a living. i took some time off and realized i wanted to be a cosmetologist.
lmao.gif
almost the opposite end of the spectrum! i just got licensed as an esthetician and i start hair design in september. i'm really liking this career change.
eyelove.gif

giz2000

I have a BA in Political Science (because I thought I was going to go to law school...hated it)...then I earned a MS in Secondary Social Studies Education because, what was I going to do with a BA in Poli Sci but teach...at that time, I was in counseling (going through a divorce) and loved the field, so I went back to school and earned an MA in Marriage and Family Therapy, which I did for 10 years before burning out and chucking it all to work for MAC...now I am going back for my 2nd Bachelors in Art...which is what I should have studied way back in the day....it is my passion in life.

You need to find what you love to do, study it, do it well and you'll not only be happy, but you'll make a good living as well...good luck!

BinkysBaby

I would honestly say to take your time and find out what you want to do with your life and what will make YOU happy not your parents. I'm living proof of this....

When I graduated from high school, my dad pushed, pushed, pushed for me to major in nursing and I did. I loved the field but the fact that he pressured me so much turned me off. So after my second year in college, I changed my major to psychology. I graduated with a BA in Psychology and a minor in Child Development in 2005.

I thought that I wanted to be a Marriage and Family Therapist so a month after graduating with my BA, I went in a MA program for Marriage and Family Therapy. During that time, I worked for the department of mental health as a case manager providing psychiatric interventions for people with chronic mental illesses. I absolutely loved working in the field but I became unhappy with the MA program. I knew that I could not make a career out of being a case manager because it was an entry level position that was not going anywhere.

In March of this year, I decided that I was going to do what I really wanted to do which was nursing....yes, nursing. My girlfriend and I packed up and moved to Las Vegas in April. I will take the last few classes that I need begining in August to get my degree in nursing. I currently work as a customer service rep at Zappos.com and it's working out wonderfully.

Moral of this story, do what you love but be smart about it. Don't pick a field that will have you living under the freeway. And it is important to know that having a degree from a university does not necessarily mean that you will make a ton of money. Let me put it this way....I only make $3 less per hour working as a customer service rep where there are essentially no skills required as opposed to when I worked as a case manager (where a BA was required and I did a crap load of work and had a crap load of responsibilities). Don't allow yourself to be put under the pressure of other people and put your dreams on the back burning so that they can live vicariously through you. Follow your own dreams because if you don't, you'll regret it.

VeganChick

Well hun, if you're 18 and asking this now, chances are you're already enrolled in a college and wouldn't be able to change that anyway?
I'm going into psychology (maybe a dual major with sociology or social work and a minor in 'law and society'). I'm not talented enough to go into cosmetology. :roll eyes:
I'd suggest taking a few classes in something you might be interested in. You might find a field you absolutely love if you give it a chance. And if you do well in college (even with just say a liberal arts degree), if you still haven't found your calling and are desperate to go to a MU school, it's much easier to get into a school if they see that you've already got what it takes to get through college.
When you're signing up for classes, just think about what you liked in school or were interested in and what you're good at. If you're good in math, take stastics or calculus or a problem solving course. If it's science you're good at, then look into fields you might be interested in, like neuroscience, biology, chemistry. Art can be a great basis for a MU degree if you're still determined , since you're training your hand coordination, your knack for mixing and using colors. I've always thought painting was very very similar to doing makeup.
If you'd like more help, you can always PM or email me, since it would be much easier to help you figure things out if I knew which college you're going to and what you're interested in, what your strengths and weaknesses are...
Whatever you choose, good luck!

twinks

wooowowowow... thanks for all the advice
I loved reading about your personal experiences and realized that I'm not a big achiever like you guys... I'm more of a lazy, average student, but your words of inspiration are truly appreciated... I guess I'll give college a try first because I'm attending practically for free anyway with grants... If anyone's wondering, I'll be attending Cal State Long Beach (I know, not a really smart school)... I guess I'm kindasorta just intimidated because I'll be the youngest in school again and I was just so used to being the senior in high school... and it doesn't help that no one I know will be going to the school either... anyway I'm just rambling now.. Thanks again ladies (and gentlemen?)... I really appreciate the help.

Raerae

You'll like Long Beach... Fun City! 2nd street area seems to be where a lot of the younger college aged people hang out, although thats usually a 21+ environment hehe...

also, there is probably a weekend/evening cosmotology course you could always take to get your feet wet in the industry and see if you really like it. And that would give you an option for work while in school. Just some ideas.