Working with Shadesticks

Mandi2087

Hey every one! I just got the Sea Me shadestick and I'm having trouble blending it. Any suggestions?

mac_obsession

Rub it over your hand before using it. It softens it up. Or try pulling your skin taut so that it goes on smoothly.
I personally suggest using Urban Decay Primer Potion first tho, it helps them go on perfectly smooth
smiles.gif

lola336

Yea i 2nd the ud primer or try to use a paint as a base. I find that warming them up helps the best though ;-)

Sanne

use a nude color chadestick underneath, like beige-ing. sea me is hard to blend, and with another shadestick underneath it will glide right on!

Dancrbabe29

Mac Shadesticks

I recently just got Sea me shadestick and im wondering what exactly you all use them for, the colors are so pretty but when i went to use it the one time so far it is very tricky to blend so i ended up just applying it all across the lid and putting the rebel rock blue pigment over..i am looking into buying more in the future but would like to know how everyone else likes to use them
wavey.gif

thanksss

AudreyNicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousmuffins
I use the shadesticks actually as you did - as a base.
I rarely use them as is. Too sheer for me.

Yep, me too - as a base only
smiles.gif

pugmommy7

i use them as bases, but they can be used as a wash of color as well. as you get used to them the application becomes easier. i start at the lashline and move back and forth on my lid to my crease,then blend the edges with my finger or a taklon brush.
(they are kinda like a cream color base and a paint combined.)

bellaetoile

shadesticks work best as bases, to make shadow last longer, not crease, and make colors pop. sometimes blasting a shadestick for 5-10 seconds with a hair dryer makes them a little easier to blend and work with.

Tonitra

I agree with what everyone else has said, although Beige-ing can be pretty as a highlight on its own.
Also, one thing I love to do with my shadesticks is to line my bottom lashline with them (or as close as I can get) and then pack pigments or eyeshadows over top of the shadestick to achieve a well-adhered liner effect. I feel that using the pigments/eyeshadows alone as a liner results in a lot of smudging and loss of colour over the day. By using the shadestick they stay much more vibrant.

junealexandra

I agree with everyone too. I use Shadesticks everyday, Beiging for a shimmer base everyday. I have most of the colors. I also like to use Sharkskin as an undereye liner when I'm doing a smokey eye.

lara

On myself: Pink Couture or Beige-ing on the lid, worked over the crease with my fingertips. Dusting of setting powder, then eyeshadows over that. Lasts forever and a day.
smiles.gif

On Clients: exactly the same as above, but with worked upwards with a firm but flexy concealer brush. No fingers.
winks.gif

kimmy

i use them as a base and blend up and outward with my fingers. i LOVE Beige-ing. i can't wait to get Sea Me
smiles.gif
i need a blue base so bad it's not even funny anymore..

Katgirl625

Cool application trick I learned to use Shadesticks

Take a shade stick and color over the head of a brush (like 224), and then buff onto lids. Gives a nice, almost airbrushed quality to the shade stick, easy to blend, etc.
I think this will solve some of the "dragging" problems people have had with shadesticks.

hope this works for you! I've been doing it for a couple of days, and I love it.

koolmnbv

do you rub the shadestick onto the 224 then use the 224 to apply the S/S? b/c it doesnt seem like it would get very much shadestick onto the 224 brush, at least not enough to apply on the lid

Katgirl625

I'll try to explain better. I actually lay the brush down on my counter, over a tissue or something, and then just rub the s/s over the bristles of the brush, like I'm coloring it. Shadestick on brush, not brush on shadestick. That's how the color gets on there...I get a decent color payoff, but it's not as vibrant as putting on the shadestick directly. What I do find that it does better is not tugging, and is a sheerer wash of color.
Definitely not necessary if you're using shadestick as a base, but if you want to use it as color, this works for me. HTHs!

Dancrbabe29

thank you all for the suggestions atleast now im not so clueless lol i look foward to getting more now, b/c the pigment color was amazing with the shadestick and did last a long time, thanks again