Working with Shadesticks

MACGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyannette
I loev shadesticks!
They really make my eyeshadows look great but there is only one thing, blending them out.
Since Im not very good at blending when I use two or more colors of shadestick the lines where they meet are really visable an its hard to blend them out.
I use my 242 after I apply my shadestick and try to blend out the edges some. I have heard of heating them slightly with a blow dryer but I havent tried this yet.

What are your tips for working with shadesticks?

I usually will put down one shade like beigeing first from my crease to browbone, then put my other shade (sea me) from my lid to my crease and fade it up while I am applying it, using lighter and lighter strokes of my wand. If it needs a little extra work, then I just smudge a little with my fingertip.

Remember this, your shadestick doesn't need to be as blended as your e/s, you are going to be covering it up, so no worries. Just make sure it isn't a harsh line of course.

Too I always put the colored shadestick slightly lower than I want the e/s to be, so when I fade the e/s in the crease, you don't see the line from the shadestick under it.

Katgirl625

I like to "color" my bursh with a shadestick (brush on a tissue on counter, then swipe shadestick across the brush), and buff in the color onto my lid that way. works better with a slighty stiff brush. Or, you could also swipe a brush against your shadestick, and then blend onto your lid.

ebonyannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaetoile
hair dryer for 5-10 seconds on a low heat setting. you want them soft, but not molten. don't let them liquify. apply to your FINGER, then to your lid. as you can imagine, the heat from your finger helps with the blending process, and makes colors easier to blend than if you used a brush. i don't like using brushes with shadesticks, because i don't usually see much of a result. fingers give you a more controlled application. also, it's easier to simply blend your shadow/pigment colors, rather than worry about blending your shadestick colors together. also, i think there's several topics on shadedsticks already, try using the search feature. some of the prvious posts might have some helpful tips as well.

Im sorry, I did try to search but it came back with pages of results that didnt answer my specific question. I will be more careful
type.gif

bellaetoile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyannette
Im sorry, I did try to search but it came back with pages of results that didnt answer my specific question. I will be more careful
type.gif

lol, i re-read my reply, i didn't at all mean to be bitchy or snarky about the search feature
smiles.gif

i remember there being a good shadestick thread before, but i couldn't find it either when i searched...

Feminist.

Shadestick troubles :(

So... when I use shadesticks... they never really seem to smooth out that well. They appear a little blotchy
ssad.gif
I try blending them with other colours and using my brush to smooth them out, but nothing works that great.
Any tips people?
Or is it just certain colours or something?

prinzessin784

blech, personally I hate Shadesticks haha. Pretty much for the same reasons as you described, too! That and they break really easily. I am not sure how people get them to be so smooth but when I see them used in tutorials, people always apply them straight from the tube so I don't get it!! Maybe we're just missing something haha :confused:

mskitchmas

maybe apply a little fast response eye cream to your lids first, then apply shadestick, and use a small shadow brush to even the color out?

Ella_

I always apply shade sticks to my finger first. I press the tip of the shade stick onto my finger and let it warm up a little first, then draw as much as I need onto my finger tip. Then I apply it to my eyelid.

Renee

I find that applying a primer before the shadestick works really well. I use Paula Dorf's primer but I'm sure any one would help.

gravity

I warm the shadestick first by holding the top part of the container between my palms for a minute, then apply directly to my eyelid. Then I blend with my fingers. Fingers are a lot warmer than brushes
smiles.gif

Joke

I like shadesticks, the trick is to make them (like other girls mentioned as well) to make them a little bit warmer.
But I agree that paints apply smoother.

bellaetoile

first of all, a good base is key. i always use urban decay primer potion, then a shadestick or two, then my eyeshadow or pigment.

hair dryer for 5-10 seconds on a low heat setting. you want them soft, but not molten. don't let them liquify. apply to your FINGER, then to your lid. as you can imagine, the heat from your finger helps with the blending process, and makes colors easier to blend than if you used a brush. i don't like using brushes with shadesticks, because i don't usually see much of a result. fingers give you a more controlled application. also, it's easier to simply blend your shadow/pigment colors, rather than worry about blending your shadestick colors together. use one color shadestick, either a neutral skintone or white, or a color coordinating with your shadow. it's really not necessary to use a bunch of shadestick colors, and it can even end up looking muddy if you try to use too many colors at once, before applying your shadow. using your finger gives great, smooth, vivid color, even with the chunkier, glittery shadesticks. i hear people complain about overcast, yet it's the one i use the most, because it makes my shadow colors so vivid.

also, i think there's several topics on shadedsticks already, try using the search feature. some of the previous posts might have some helpful tips as well. i know i've replied to several posts on shadesticks. if i get a chance, i'll try to do a picture by picture tutorial on how to use them as well. it may take a little practice, because at first, i was kind of intimidated by them too, but give it a few shots, and you'll be pro at it. i use them daily, seriously, and my makeup always stays on so well. plus, after a little practice, you'll get good at using them, and it really will seem easy and quick.

coachkitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella_
I always apply shade sticks to my finger first. I press the tip of the shade stick onto my finger and let it warm up a little first, then draw as much as I need onto my finger tip. Then I apply it to my eyelid.

I was told that by a MAC MA since I was having such trouble with the Shadesticks and now I cannot live without then! It is a great tip!

Feminist.

Thank you for all your replies
greengrin.gif

I will DEFINITELY try warming them a little first and putting them on my finger!

beth_w

Shadestick help...

'allo!

I have quite a few shadesticks as I seem to buy them without really thinking because they remind me of crayons. Sadly though, I'm having problems with them! I tend to use the back of a brush to scrape some product off and then use my hand as a palette. Is there any way to use shadesticks like this? I've tried and they just crumble. I gots to say, I'm not that happy with them. Does anybody have any tips to get more out of them?

MACATTAK

Re: Shadestick help...

If you are going to use them this way, maybe use the blowdryer over it for a few seconds so the shadestick melts a bit. It should be easier to apply this way.

deathcabber

Re: Shadestick help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
If you are going to use them this way, maybe use the blowdryer over it for a few seconds so the shadestick melts a bit. It should be easier to apply this way.

Second this...I never have trouble when I warm them up a bit. Even rolling them between your palms helps!