Alima Mineral Makeup

Esperanza

That's totally understandable imo. And 12 samples of the same colour?!! Come on... in this case, why people can't just buy full size ones
hmm.gif

SagMaria

Yeah, it means COLOUR.... I thought it meant of anything, okay well that's all good then! I never did that in the first place!!
clap.gif
cheerleader.gif
clap.gif
cheerleader.gif

chrissuen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanza
That's totally understandable imo. And 12 samples of the same colour?!! Come on... in this case, why people can't just buy full size ones
hmm.gif

I know that some people would post in forums or message boards to see if anyone living close by (like, in the same city) would like to buy samples or other things from the same company together. In this way they can share the shipping cost and sometimes enjoy a larger discount. I was a bit puzzled when I saw that little note yesterday when I was putting my order.

It wasn't until I read the explanatory note from Alima Winthrop44 posted above that they were receiving 'huge group orders from overseas' I realized that this probably would be the only logical explanation for 12 samples of the same colour in one order.
hmm.gif

By the way, Alima outdid itself once again yesterday. I put in an order at 12:00, and they sent me a notice that my order was shipped at 4:00!! And that even included me regretting my order and emailing them that I need to add one more product in my order! It was like as soon as I paid them the extra product, they shipped it out immediately. Impressive!
thmbup.gif

(And by the way, my fyrinnae order which was exactly one week ago is still 'processing', I guess this can answer the question how fast does Alima ship lol)

lil_kismet

Re: Alima shade for a NC35??

I'm NC 25-30 and I have found a very natural match with N3. W3 was too yellow on me, and W2 I found to be too light.

Also bear in mind that summer is just around the corner, so you may need a slightly darker shade if you intend to spend your days out in the sun.

user79

I just placed my 2nd Alima order. I got a full sized foundation in N-1 Chiffon, and 4 blush samples (Garnet, Azalea, Apricot & Raspberry). Can't wait for it all to arrive!

Esperanza

Hello Julia, on the website they say that a small sample jar of mineral foundation last about one week. How long did it last for you? I remember you ordered different shades of foundation the 1st time, do you still use them to make some personal mixing?

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanza
Hello Julia, on the website they say that a small sample jar of mineral foundation last about one week. How long did it last for you? I remember you ordered different shades of foundation the 1st time, do you still use them to make some personal mixing?

I don't know, I still had samples from another company as well so I wasn't using the same Alima sample everyday, but you can use them for about 10-14 uses each, I think, depending on how much you apply.

Esperanza

:holysheep: I placed my order for Alima's foundations yesterday and it's already on its way!! That is what I call EFFICIENCY
smiles.gif

I ordered one sample of each of the following shades:

Blossom (C-2)
Jasmine (C-3)
Orchid (C-4)
Chiffon (N-1)
Satin (N-2)
Pongee (N-3)

I hope I didn't made any mistakes, I'm always careful about what I buy online when it comes to colours... we'll see! In the meantime, I'm eager to receive my order
clap.gif

martygreene

I've been far too lazy, and need to place an order with them. I had the issue that none of their shades went light enough for me, so they custom mixed five shades, sent them to me, and I had two matches! I really need to get on the ball with it and order one of them, I've just been so gosh darn busy lately.

nTrain

Has anyone else noticed that Alima's yellow shades are literally yellow? I'm Asian and i do have a yellowy undertone, so i got a sample of W-3. It actually emphasis the yellow in my skin. Hello. I'm Asian, not Big Bird.

Winthrop44

I am Caucasian and can wear W-1. My perfect match though is a combo of N and W shades. From what I understand their Golden shades are even more yellow. Did you try the N? I have also read about some Asians finding the Olive tones perfect. If you are interested in this foundation you should give some other shades and mixtures of shades a try.

user79

You can get Alima foundation custom blended if you're in between shades, just email them.
smiles.gif

I got my full sized foundation yesterday....super fast!!! And I live in Switzerland. The customer service is really phenomenal. I also ordered the 4 blush samples and I unfortunately realized that the swatches given on the website don't reflect their colours at all. I swatched them on my wrist and have to say, I wasn't impressed at all with the shades. I have to try them on my face but I don't think I will like them that much.
ssad.gif

What brush do you use for applying the mineral blush? The same kabuki? I'd rather not get blush pigment in my kabuki because I use that for the foundation and I can't wash my kabuki everyday....the 187 maybe? The 168 picks up too much of the loose powder so it doesn't work so well.

Winthrop44

The only viable blush brush (for me, so that means synthetic) I currently own is the 169 from Raquel. That's the synthetic version of the 168. I only use it on pressed blushes however. I have found some Alima blush shades I like (all matte) - Honey Rose, Carnation, Azalea, and Desert Rose or Antique Rose (I forget which now) but I have not found a brush to apply them the way I like. I like to apply my blush verrry softly, and I think I need an all synthetic 187 for these! Kate told me they are working on getting one at Alima. I have used her #21 buff brush and you can control the amount picked up fairly well but it pretty much just deposits the color where you put it - I've not been able to blend out the matte blushes with it the way I'd like. Maybe I should try working with it a little more, but honestly it's just been easier to let the Alima blushes sit in my drawer and use my pressed ones. I would definitely give your 187 a try if I were you. Maybe a baby kabuki would work too. I think there are synthetic versions of those and I may look into them if Alima doesn't get a skunk brush soon.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winthrop44
The only viable blush brush (for me, so that means synthetic) I currently own is the 169 from Raquel. That's the synthetic version of the 168. I only use it on pressed blushes however. I have found some Alima blush shades I like (all matte) - Honey Rose, Carnation, Azalea, and Desert Rose or Antique Rose (I forget which now) but I have not found a brush to apply them the way I like. I like to apply my blush verrry softly, and I think I need an all synthetic 187 for these! Kate told me they are working on getting one at Alima. I have used her #21 buff brush and you can control the amount picked up fairly well but it pretty much just deposits the color where you put it - I've not been able to blend out the matte blushes with it the way I'd like. Maybe I should try working with it a little more, but honestly it's just been easier to let the Alima blushes sit in my drawer and use my pressed ones. I would definitely give your 187 a try if I were you.

I think the 187 is a mix of natural hairs and synthetic? In any case, I have been using the 187 before with it but I found it hard to get the dosing right with the amount the brush picks up. This is using the samples though, so the containers are really small.
ssad.gif

BTW, I hate the jar containers of Alima foundation too. It is really cheap looking and the lid is too small to get the swirling action going well, so I'm using my old BE lid to swirl. I wish they would change their packaging to make the sifter lid wider.

Winthrop44

I know. I shake a bit of foundation out into a separate glass saucer-type thing meant for condiments. I got the idea from a glass sold for this purpose by Cory Cosmetics (blech!) long ago. You might try tapping a tiny amount of blush out of the baggie or little jar (I forget which she's sending them in these days) into something like that and then trying your 187. Yes, it is a mix of synthetic and goat. The white hairs are synthetic.

Edited to say I just looked back at the March newslatter to make sure I was remembering correctly and she says in there they are working on new packaging -- what that's really all about though I have no idea.

nTrain

I've heard such good things about the Buff Brush. I've been waiting to get it with the foundation brush when they're back in stock but I guess i'll have to find a different brush for blush

I just looked to see when the last post before mine was made just to see if this thread was still relevant and I noticed that you posted yesterday at 4:20. haha

jenii

I have two Alima blushes. I have Dianthus (which I apply with my 187 brush), and I have Apple Blossom (which I use either Alima's #21 brush, or my MAC 168 to apply).

Basically I'd use the 187 to apply any shimmery blushes, and a regular blush brush for the mattes.

I love Alima. I just ordered some of their concealer, and a color balancing powder in Pistachio, because I have a green concealer from EDM, but it's kinda cakey and hard to blend. Their Sunlight concealer is cakey too. Makes me sad because it's so good at covering up dark circles, but it makes the skin around my eyes look crepey when it's NOT (I'm only 26, ffs).

Actually, a lot of EDM stuff is kinda cakey.
ssad.gif