Do you guys use Sunblock for the face?

Icecaramellatte

I'm an NC 43. I'm having trouble finding a sunblock for the face that doesn't leave that weird white/gray cast.

I do use a tinted moisturizer but I don't think it really does anything.

Any ideas?

MkupTart

I am a NC45/C7 and I use Banana Boat Dri-Blok Sport SPF 30. It goes on a little white but dries completely clear and leave my skin matte and glowing. I haven't had any breakouts with it, and on occasion I have used it on my body but I found it was a little too dry.

My skin looks so good with it on that lately in the humid weather I have just been wearing eye makeup and blush and a little loose powder. I don't even need to touch up during the day.

MiCHiE

I was told by a Somme Institute representative that you should only use a small amount of sunscreen on your face, just a dab on the cheeks, forehead and chin to eliminate the cast. When you use much more, your skin does not absorb it and the cast is prominent.

AfricanaEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkupTart
I am a NC45/C7 and I use Banana Boat Dri-Blok Sport SPF 30.

I use the exact same thing.....only not everyday. When I know I'm going to be in the sun, the beach, or by the pool, I use it. But living in Florida means you should probaly ALWAYS wear sunscreen.
Opps.
fool.gif

MiCHiE

^Yeah, it should actually be used everyday, even on cloudy days. And, don't forget your hands and neck!

thelilprincess

i like Dermalogica Defense Booster SPF 30 - mix it with the active moist (but i ran out of my moisturizer and can't afford it right now)

i find that the sunscreens i used for the beach (like coppertone, bananaboat, etc) is harder to blend. i use to think it was the titanium dioxide and zinc (the active spf ingredients) but i think it has to do with the waterproof ones.

hth!

btw, i'm asian, C4....so i'm more of a medium color.

aziajs

I use a moisturizer that has SPF. No problems really, except that although it's oil free it makes me oily. I am going to have to switch to something else.

faifai

I use Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF 55. It's the only one of the Dry Touch series that is truly photostable and leaves me non-shiny, just a bit of a glow. If you use too much you will get a whitish cast from it, so be wary (especially around the nose).

Icecaramellatte

Quote:
Originally Posted by faifai
I use Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF 55. It's the only one of the Dry Touch series that is truly photostable and leaves me non-shiny, just a bit of a glow. If you use too much you will get a whitish cast from it, so be wary (especially around the nose).

That is the last one I tried and it left a cast. I just bought the Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF 70 because on the back it mentioned using it on the face whereas the 55 one did not anything about using it on the face. Also, I got a burning sensation from the 55. I will use the 70 tomorrow and report back.

Thanks guys!

Icecaramellatte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?MiCHiE?
I was told by a Somme Institute representative that you should only use a small amount of sunscreen on your face, just a dab on the cheeks, forehead and chin to eliminate the cast. When you use much more, your skin does not absorb it and the cast is prominent.

Thanks for the info. Will do!

twobear

I wear sunscreen everyday! I use Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30. I have pretty oily skin but have not had any issues. My derm suggested this as it does not leave the grey/white cast on darker skintones. It also evened out my skin tone and faded some old acne scarring. It's fairly inexpensive but frequently sold out in Target/WalMart.

Tawanalee

I use Hawaiian Tropic Oil Free Faces Sheer Sunscreen SPF 30. It is anti-aging UVB/UVA - Won't clog pores. I've been using it for about 3 weeks with no break outs (Other than that time of the month). It is light & leaves no white cast. I really like it. I'm NC50.

JamaicanDiva2

I use Ambi SPF facial moisturizer and i LOVE it! It's actually made for us women of color & it helps even out skin tone (it is untinted tho) and never makes me shiny, which is surprising cuz i have OILY skin! Usually i don't buy into all that gimmicky stuff "it truly IS for women of color" but i believe this! and its cheap, like less than $10 i believe. . . i've almost used the whole bottle and will repurchase, something i've NEVER done w/ any of the other moisturizers i've tried!

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by faifai

I use the Neutrogena Dry-Touch too. Right now I am using SPF 30, but once I run out I am going to grab the SPF 55 or 70 (provided I don't get the whitish-blue look with it). It goes on well, although it gives me more shine that I would like, so I need to invest in a mattifier. It's a small price to pay for skin protection.

spectrolite

I'm currently using Kiehls Ultra Moisturizer SPF 15. I'm not outdoors for extended periods of time all that often so I think it does the job well enough. It does not leave me oily nor does it leave my skin gray and chalky. I find it gives me a dewey glow under my makeup.

yumemiru

i believe i was told that the way sunblock are made, they are suppose to leave the white looking cast? there's no way and no new technology that can take that away. with that said, i think some of the ideas offered by the girls here are great. i usually use a tinted moisturizer along with light powder and it takes the whiteness away. make sure when you buy your makeup the next time, you have the sunblock on so you know the color that you choose for powder and otherwise will cover that? if that make sense?

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
^^ I've read that a daily sunblock should have SPF 30 or more. I'll double check that on webMD.

ETA: I double checked and it is at least SPF 15 or higher, sorry.
smiles.gif

Latest posts