I love when customers try to tell me how to do my job...

Nzsallyb

heres another one:
-stop asking me for a discount, the product is NOT on sale!!
-dont ask me again and again why a chemist/pharmacy is more expensive than a supermarket, when you just complained how busy the supermarket was! dont buy products from here if you dont like the price, and go back to the supermarket!
-yes i know chanel, estee lauder etc is cheaper in the USA, and no i wont do a "special price" for you (the customer insisted that i got the US price, converted it into NZ dollars, and then sold it to her!!!!)
-don't be "just browsing" when ive told you that the store is closing in about 30 seconds
aaaaahhhhh be calm!!!

im currently studying radiology (chemist is a holiday job), and i really love it when patients tell me what to do:
-dont do it like that, it wont work (so your doing the study now and can do it yourself?)

Hikaru-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJgirl
Well I don't work at a Cosmetics Counter, but I do work Fragrances in a Department store, and I can definitely relate to a lot of the stories. Here are some of my own:

1) An older lady came in on a sale day and the signs up said "10% of all marked prices", this applies only to the shelves that the signs are on. Other reduced items are on other shelves. So this woman comes to the till with a deodorant spray reduced to £3 ($4.50) that was clearly NOT ON the 10% off shelves and I put it through. I tell her how much the sale is and she says "What about the 10% off?" and I explain to her about the signs, and she tells me that the signs are very misleading (as if I printed them myself) and proceeded to ask me to get my supervisor and my manager and complain about the signs and then she wants to speak to the manager of the whole store! All the way through this I was perfectly polite and trying to be patient and she was being very rude. All this for an extra 30p(40cents) off!

2) We offer a free gift wrapping service but only up until an hour before closing (store policy). A few snooty 20-something girls came in about 5 minutes before closing and bought one item (not a hugely expensive one) and demanded that I wrap it (no please, just "wrap it") and I explained to them that we didn't offer this service so late in the day and if they came back tomorrow with the receipt id happily wrap it for them then. Immediately one of the girls started saying how she NEEDED me to wrap it now and that they were a paying customer and its part of the service, so I give in and start to wrap it. AS I am wrapping it one of the girls VERY RUDELY says " I guess this is your first time wrapping then" staring at my attempts, It honestly wasn't that bad so I just kept my mouth shut and carried on but inside I was thinking "well if you can do so much better wrap your own damn presents"

3) I was working a very busy Saturday close to Xmas and this woman came in and bought what we call a "Low end fragrance" (ie. Cheap) and asked for samples. So i put a few in her bag. She wondered around the department some more and watched me put through another sale and I gave another (really lovely) woman some samples also. She then BUTTS in front of the next customer and very loudly says "You gave HER different samples, I want those too" and I politely told her we are only allowed to give out a certain number per sale, but I give them to her anyway just to get her to go. Thing is once you give out a few to one customer, you get every customer in line asking for them. I am usually very generous with samples, but if people ask I'm less likely to give them (especially if they a rude about it).

Although I am lucky that I don't get sales targets, so am usually happy spending time with a customer getting exactly what they are looking for, it's the best part of the job. There are so many more stories, waaay too many to tell. I love it when I get a customer who is polite and jokes with me, it really brightens up my day and I am greatly thankful to all those customers that do because they help keep me sane!

Do you by any chance work for Debenhams?
Sound like the crazy customers I get.

Yushimi

newhere.gif

I was in retail and now I'm at the office...I don't know which one is worse lolz here's some of my pet-peeves.

If it's sold out, we will NOT be getting more. And no, we won't ship it from store to store.

If I'm on the phone, I can't multi-hear you plus the customer on the phone.

If you see me counting the damn till, please don't interupt me while I'm COUNTING
shockt.gif
, I won't be able to help you pick out a new colour (seriously, counting the till = closing)

If there's a load of patients/customers, I can't help the ones that have a 'QUICK question' (which leads to...more 'quick questions' ...then people get mad at me if I said I had to go back to what I was doing before or I have to walk away from a couple of minutes/seconds
cry.gif
)

Sigh, thanks for hearing my little rant lolz
smiles.gif

amyzon

I have a question... I on occasion will bring in a friend and will have a few products in mind for her that I want the MA to try out on her. I am not pushy or rude, but I say something like, "I think Soft and Gentle MSF would look gorgeous on her, could you try it out on her?" and truth be told, my friend usually ends up buying the product... And one time, I suggested strobe cream, and the MA swatched it on her hand, she loved it, and then I asked the MA, "oh, I just realized, since she has oily skin, maybe strobe liquid?" When they are looking for eyeshadows and such when we're together, my friends often ask me for a second opinion as well since I'm since they know I'm so into makeup. The MA didn't seem annoyed, but I thought I would ask you guys who work in the industry if you would feel offended by this.... I'm often in this store, give them a lot of my own business, and get along with the MAs, and just wanted your input.
smiles.gif

MsCocoa

^^^Personally in your situation I wouldn't be offended, it seems no different from you turning up wanting to try something specific, even recommend the SL over the SC just means your an educated customer.

Like I said in no way directed at you but where I work it happens all the time someone comes in genuinely asking for help, you tell them what would be best working with the info they provide, then the know-it-all friend butts giving their unwarranted opinion, baring in mind that a. they don't actually work there and b. 9 times out of 10 the customer in question didn't even ask for a second opinion. Usually I just walk away when it gets like that because there really is no point, it's just a waste of breath I let the friend do the selling lol.

Another thing that irks me is people who say 'can you gift wrap it' AFTER I ask 'is it a gift' I'm not just generally inquiring!

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyzon
I have a question... I on occasion will bring in a friend and will have a few products in mind for her that I want the MA to try out on her. I am not pushy or rude, but I say something like, "I think Soft and Gentle MSF would look gorgeous on her, could you try it out on her?" and truth be told, my friend usually ends up buying the product... And one time, I suggested strobe cream, and the MA swatched it on her hand, she loved it, and then I asked the MA, "oh, I just realized, since she has oily skin, maybe strobe liquid?" When they are looking for eyeshadows and such when we're together, my friends often ask me for a second opinion as well since I'm since they know I'm so into makeup. The MA didn't seem annoyed, but I thought I would ask you guys who work in the industry if you would feel offended by this.... I'm often in this store, give them a lot of my own business, and get along with the MAs, and just wanted your input.
smiles.gif

It's not annoying as long as you let your friend think for themself+ don't butt in. For example, Monday a customer brought in her friend and while I was prepping her skin as I was doing each step was going "Oh, I don't use that. I don't like it". After a few times I said "Well, this is actually one of my favorite products. I can't even think of a single time I've seen anybody return it. You might not like it, but your friend might so I would like to hear what she thinks.". Then after we did her face makeup the friend picked out eyeshadows, colors that I never would have picked...Then after I applied them her friend said "AND WHAT'S GREAT IS YOU CAN JUST BUY THESE TWO THINGS AND SHE CAN MAKE YOU SAMPLES OF EVERYTHING ELSE!!"...yeah...don't do that * i spent a friggin hour+ a half with these people, like thanks guys..not like i have a goal to make or anything*As long as you give your friend a chance to decide what she likes and doesn't like and the m/a a chance to do her job...you're fine.
yes.gif

DirtyPlum

Quote:
I have a question... but I thought I would ask you guys who work in the industry if you would feel offended by this.... I'm often in this store, give them a lot of my own business, and get along with the MAs, and just wanted your input.
smiles.gif

OK, honestly. I dont get offended, but I dont like it and I actually feel sorry for the friend who is being spoken for.

Its great that youre shopping together and you have made recs for her... but I would prefer it if your friend came in and said ''my friend has recommended me X, can I try it?'' rather than you say ''I rec'd my friend product X, can you try it on her'' - cos then who do I speak to throughout the demo, her or you?

MU is such an individual thing and she/he needs to make the final decision to whether they like it and will feel comfy wearing it. I find it somewhat patronising (not directed at you) if other ppl speak for someone else when they are stood right there.

Having a friend there for a second opinion is great and totally different from having a friend there to speak for you. But I dont mind if, throughout customers ask me to try products on their friend etc, just dont begin the sale for her or hijack it.

DirtyPlum

Quote:
but I say something like, "I think Soft and Gentle MSF would look gorgeous on her, could you try it out on her?"

and then I asked the MA, "oh, I just realized, since she has oily skin, maybe strobe liquid?" When they are looking for eyeshadows and such when we're together, my friends often ask me for a second opinion as well since I'm since they know I'm so into makeup.

Thats fine, youre not speaking for her, but just helping out and offering her support.

Elusive21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy
the other day my manager welcomed someone to the store and she was like LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE. literally she said that to him and walked out of the store.

Wow - some people really have no manners.

I'll admit that I do feel rather annoyed when I go into a store and one of the employees there keeps asking me constantly (like every 2 minutes) if I need any help finding something, but then I just brush it off and am really polite to them because I know it's part of their job, and they probably themselves hate asking people but they have to do it.

Elusive21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
Not dorky at all! My favourite customers are those who have a list but also want some product clarification/suggestions. You get what you want, I can answer any questions or suggest more appropriate products and we both have a happy, no-pressure time!

Ok good - I'll be going to a MAC counter pretty soon and I was hoping to bring a list with me, that way I don't forget what I want to buy and I don't waste anybody's time.

DaisyPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by claresauntie
Do ya ever get this one?:

You: "Hi! How are you today!?"
Her: "No, thank you."

I think it's so rude when people do this to SAs! If someone asks me how I am, my reply is always "I'm fine thanks, how're you doing today?" (or something along those lines) with a genuine smile.
It's 'amazing' how much nicer people are to you when you're nice to them
winks.gif

MsCocoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyPie
I think it's so rude when people do this to SAs! If someone asks me how I am, my reply is always "I'm fine thanks, how're you doing today?" (or something along those lines) with a genuine smile.
It's 'amazing' how much nicer people are to you when you're nice to them
winks.gif

Yep so true, and difficult customers wonder why they get nowhere lol.

Retropinuplady

Hey guys, you poor things I'm not a MUA but I'm a receptionist so I understand the having a go when its not your fault and the rudeness of some people (I hate it when ppl hang up on me after getting the info they need and not even a goodbye for example)

I would never treat someone else differently to how I'd want to treated so why do these ppl think they are so much better?.
When I go to Mac my closest store is 2 hours drive away and they are so helpful usually its the same lady whos helped me each time and thanks to her I finally have a foundation that matches my skintone (I am beyond thankful for this after wearing the wrong shade for years!) and she also shows me all the nice shades that go with my skin and she hasnt been wrong once. Without a doubt ppl need to be nicer in general x

Sorry wasnt ment to be a rant...opps
smiles.gif

Juxtapose

I'm not a MA, but I also work in retail--I most often work the returns counter. Now, I've considered myself a kind, polite and compassionate person before this job (as a customer), but this position has truely been a humbling experience for me and has taught me many life lessons.

At the returns counter, people can be especially mean. This was hard for me to not take personal at first. I am a "feeler"--your classic empathetic person and as much as I wish I could control my emotions, sometimes customers have been so mean that I had to hold back tears. Even now, every once in a great while this happens, but I learned to be much more relaxed and composed in many different situations. (I do have a hard time if a customer verbally attacks me--e.g. throws out swear words, becomes volitile--throws things, etc. That just plain freaks me out and I'm worried about my safety).

One thing that has been a great help to me, was some advice I recieved from a friend of mine who has always had one or two restaurant or service jobs at a time. I asked her how she dealt with rudeness and horrible people and how she could remain unaffected by it.
She stated to me plain and simple: You are representing the company. It is more important to represent the values of your company to your fullest capacity. This means to not take it personally. Sure, people and certain situations aggravate me even still. But, perhaps the most poignant thing she reminded me was that I am simply fulfiling a role. At work, we have a responsibility to perform our role as whatever we are.

This really struck a cord with me because it served to remind me that I need to take the 'personal' out of work and the role I play at times. When situations get out of hand, it is our duty in customer service to conduct ourselves professionally and to always remember we are representing the company, and not ourselves. If a customer calls me dumb or incompetant and asks for some one else more capable, I do my best to calmly provide what they are requesting. It took me a while to realize that people dont care if you graduated from a 4 year university and have a degree. They dont care how smart you are or what goals you have for yourself and your career. I basically had to get over myself and my ego, which was hard for me to do. I carried around a lot of resentment at first and I knew I was being too prideful. However, learning to let it go has taken a giant weight off my chest.
I am definitely not perfect and I still struggle with my pride, my ego, my emotions, etc. I guess the point it, I do my best to keep them in check and I try to be concious of my feelings and where I am at day to day.

Sorry, that was a lil long. I simply wanted to share the advice my friend gave me and how it has affected me. The minute she shared this with me it was like a lightbulb went off--I suddenly got it. If this is a help to anyone in whatever job they do, then I've done my part in paying it forward
smiles.gif

DILLIGAF

I've just finished read every post in this tread and as a fellow retail worker I sympatize and empathize. I would like to share a story of my own.

On Aug 25, 2005 Katrina lumbered on to the shores of south Florida. The store I was then working in was not prepared for the storm. Leading up to the actual landfall most media outlets was reporting it as Tropical Storm Katrina. In South FL a Tropical Storm isn't reason enough to stop going. However by the time Katrina got to us it was offically a Catagory 1 Hurricane. So the other managers and I were in a rush to get the customers (yes there were ppl shopping in this mess) out of the store. At this point I had all but one of the registers closed and we still had one customer shopping. We informed her that we wanted to get our remaining employees safely to their homes. If you looked out the windows at this point you would have seen the wind whipping palm trees around our parking lot. I should mention at this point that one of the employees that we were trying to get out was 8 months pregnant. This customer looked at us and then still took her time. Then when she finally brought what ever trival item it was that she COULDN'T live without she had the BALLS to ask us to gift wrap it. My district manager was there and started laughing out loud at the customer. I said no and rung her up urging her out the door to her waiting Bently.

Cparrott09

yeah that's why I hate working in retail. Because of my own experiences I try to be very nice and patient with people. Every needs to work retail or some sort of service industry for 6 months. That will get them from being complete assholes. I sometimes will yell at them for the person they're yelling at, just cause they are there to help you does not mean they are your servant or slave. You can't yell at people, especially at me cause no job is worth that treatment.

ms.marymac

Has anyone else been doing a foundation demo and had to step away, only to come back to the customer troveling foundation on with your brush? I had a woman today who packed on 12 layers of SFF+Select Sheer+MSFN+MSF Soft and Gentle+Strobe Cream+more powder and then complained her skin looked dry.
th_dunno.gif
She said she could not see it before. Well you can now!

LatteQueen

i especially love it when i welcome people to the store and inform them of our sales and ask if they have any questions and theyre like "NO! JUST LOOKING LEAVE ME ALONE" then 2 seconds later theyre like COME HERE. HELP ME NOW.
the other day my manager welcomed someone to the store and she was like LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE. literally she said that to him and walked out of the store.
^^^^^
The above remark sounds like she was noticed and was probably coming in to steal something w/out being noticed..This was a theft security deter I was taught at a retail store..You acknowledge the person(s) walking in the store and then now they can't do anything unlawful..Like stealing..they were noticed and acknowledged..
Maybe that's why she was on the defensive end..