I love when customers try to tell me how to do my job...

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
We have two or three organic skincare lines, and as far as I know, there are no certified organic makeup lines, and if there are, we don't sell them.

I could have sworn that there's a certified organic line sold at Sephora. I don't remember the name though. Uhh it's killing me!

[edit] Okay it was Juice that was the brand. But I guess it's not fully organic since their SPF lotion had titanium dioxide which I just read an above post saying it was a chemical. But I'm interested in it cause it doesn't have octinoxate! yay! I'm allergic to that stuff
ssad.gif
Juice Beauty makes me hungry... lol.

Purple Haze

I've gotten a huge chuckle out of some of these...
Thanks for starting this thread!

#1) Just today I had a customer who came in, I asked :"How are you?" and she completely ignored me. I said "okay..." under my breath, and she stops, mid-walk, all the way from the foundations back to where I was in the eyeshadows, to stare me down!!!! WTF? It's not like I was spitting fire at you, I was just asking how you were.

#2) What is up with people wanting to be lighter/darker than they are, and thinking they can fix it with foundation? I show a lady who is CLEARLY an NC40/ C4 the Studio fixes that would suit her shade and she says.."oh, no...that's way too dark for me.." before I even get a chance to put it on her skin!

#3) I can't stand is when a customer is cheking in the mirror every .24178 seconds when I'm doing an application and they say "ooh...I don't really like that" when I'm not even a 4th of the way done. Of course you're not going to like it, dumba$$, if you have to track every single movement I make and make a snap judgement before I'm through.

#4) IF YOU DO NOT WANT DRAMATIC, DO NOT SAY YOU DO. "Dramatic" to a MA may not be the same as a customer's "dramatic". Don't tell me to "do whatever you want...just go wild" if you really mean natural, brown, neutral makeup. This really ticks me off. Go to Clinique if you want natural, forgive me.
icon_eek.gif

#5) When a customer SWEARS that 'Mocha A76' is not the same color as 'Mocha B34'. I must have to say this at least 6 times a day.."no, ma'm, the number on the bottom of the color is only a batch number, it has nothing to do with the actual shade you're purchasing"..."no, but it looks different, I know because I've purchased it a bunch of times"....."well, then you'll also know each one will have a different number under every single Mocha you own now, won't it?!?!?!?"

#6) "My Powerpoint/ Technakohl eyeliner doesn't work anymore, I want a refund" ..."Really? That's odd, let's see it.." The frickin' cap ids missing..OF COURSE it won't paint! It dried out a week ago!!!

Okay, I'll shut up now.
rant.gif

Thanks for letting me vent!
smiles.gif

~Eve

ps....yeah, I'm the butt that doesn't have a cute/sweet/adorable signature yet....

mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy
i work at the body shop and we recently had a price increase last friday and people are SCREAMING at me and YELLING AND CURSING AT ME in the store like it was my personal decision to change the prices.

UGH, I hate people like that. I don't work as an MA or anything, but I do work at McDonalds and I get that all the time. It's ridiculous.

dp3

I'm a MAC customer and it's good to know what you MUAs go through. I'll remember to be extra polite and cheery when I shop in the future.
smiles.gif

Question:

Does it bug MUAs when you ask a customer, who is testing eyeshadows, lip colors, etc., if they need assistance, and they say "just looking", but have another MUA (available after browsing time elapses) help them w/ there final purchase?

Karen_B

About products containing chemicals... I mean, everything contains chemicals. Hell, ordinary cooking salt is a chemical. Chemicals doesn't automatically equal bad.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3
Does it bug MUAs when you ask a customer, who is testing eyeshadows, lip colors, etc., if they need assistance, and they say "just looking", but have another MUA (available after browsing time elapses) help them w/ there final purchase?

Not really. If someone hasn't invested time in you, then there's no reason to expect that they'll score your sale. People who seagull other people's sales are a huge pain (especially those who talk customers out of your recommendations in favour of their own :banghead: ), but in that particular case you're free to go with any MA you want.
smiles.gif

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
Girl that's when you do what our counter likes to call "The 10 minute demo." Vanilla as the highlight, Soft Brown in the crease, and a shadestick or paintpot on the lid. Smolder liner and Mascara X. If they insist on a full face you use a Studio Fix Powder pop on a blush and your choice of a lipglass. I have a sales goal to make and as much as I'd love to use this annoying little 14 year olds as practice I need to make my goal to keep my job.

OMG! I have a 10 minute face too: Studio Fix, brushed on; Bronzer (no blush - takes too much time); Woodwinked e/s (nothing else), Smolder eyeliner, Zoom lash and Beaux lipglass...most of the time I can get it done in 7 minutes!!

giz2000

We get a lot of tourists at certain counters here, especially from South America. I don't know how they do things down there, but here, they'll go to the lipsticks, pick one up and then SNAP THEIR FINGERS and HISS at you until you pay attention to them. They pretty much throw the lipstick at you and demand that you get it for them. Then they just walk around the counter and help themselves to whatever they want from the displays (they knock the products down, and leave them that way). I usually ignore customers like that (I hate ignoring customers, because that's not the service I would want anywhere, but I am not your dog or servant to be snapped and hissed at), but they take advantage of the younger girls at the counter...which totally sucks.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
We get a lot of tourists at certain counters here, especially from South America. I don't know how they do things down there, but here, they'll go to the lipsticks, pick one up and then SNAP THEIR FINGERS and HISS at you until you pay attention to them. They pretty much throw the lipstick at you and demand that you get it for them. Then they just walk around the counter and help themselves to whatever they want from the displays (they knock the products down, and leave them that way). I usually ignore customers like that (I hate ignoring customers, because that's not the service I would want anywhere, but I am not your dog or servant to be snapped and hissed at), but they take advantage of the younger girls at the counter...which totally sucks.

Oh, man. Replace 'South America' with 'China' and/or 'India' and you have my average working day. Snapped at, hissed at, grabbed at, shouted at. I do my best to not let it bug me, but I'm not your freakin' dog, don't click and whistle at me.

On the plus side, they make the majority of normal customers all that more pleasurable to assist. "She said thank you! This is the happiest moment of my day!"
rofl.gif

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
Oh, man. Replace 'South America' with 'China' and/or 'India' and you have my average working day. Snapped at, hissed at, grabbed at, shouted at. I do my best to not let it bug me, but I'm not your freakin' dog, don't click and whistle at me.

On the plus side, they make the majority of normal customers all that more pleasurable to assist. "She said thank you! This is the happiest moment of my day!"
rofl.gif

Hahaha me too....except replace all that w/ old skool Hatian ladies.

Love Always Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara

rofl.gif

for me, replace it with any form of asian, except the only thing they keep repeating is "just looking. just looking" then 5 or 6 huddle around one product asking each other back and forth about the product and intensely reading the label, but when you ask them if they have any questions they say JUST LOOKING.

TODAY i had a customer with 5 very young children. i was running around helping her with a very large purchase, when i hear crying in the opposite side of the store. i ran over and saw 3 of her young children huddled around a 4th one holding his eye and one of them was like "stupid! why'd you spray that in your eye". me and my manager started running around rinsing out the kid's eye of the purfume he sprayed... and guess what the mother did? NOTHING. she kept shopping while WE had a heart attack that HER kid might have hurt his eye. she didnt even blink. other parents in the store were helping us more than she was. that really irked me.

I had no idea you guys go through this, as a customer, I've had an experience which is the exact opposite.
My sister had a foundation sample from The Body Shop and I really liked it, I went to the store to buy one, I believe it was "Extra Smooth Foundation," (something along those lines). I found my foundation skintone really fast and I was about to go to the counter when the lady working there approached me and asked if she could help, and I told her that I already had what I needed. She took a good look at at and insisted that I get the foundation one shade darker, she tried it on my skin and it looked like someone painted a big blotch on me. When I told her that it's a bit dark for me, she said, "Summer's here anyway."
It was March. Canadian March.
She just stood there, starring at me. :confused:

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000

Originally Posted by amoona
Girl that's when you do what our counter likes to call "The 10 minute demo." Vanilla as the highlight, Soft Brown in the crease, and a shadestick or paintpot on the lid. Smolder liner and Mascara X. If they insist on a full face you use a Studio Fix Powder pop on a blush and your choice of a lipglass. I have a sales goal to make and as much as I'd love to use this annoying little 14 year olds as practice I need to make my goal to keep my job.

OMG! I have a 10 minute face too: Studio Fix, brushed on; Bronzer (no blush - takes too much time); Woodwinked e/s (nothing else), Smolder eyeliner, Zoom lash and Beaux lipglass...most of the time I can get it done in 7 minutes!!

Mine:
  1. Mineralize Skinfinish Natural (unless a dark-skinned yellow-undertoned person, in which case: Studio Fix).
  2. Appropriate Paint Pot for her skin color (used to be a Paint or a Shadestick).
  3. All That Glitters.
  4. Mascara X - Black. No liner (I say "it looks fresh and bright-eyed if you don't use liner")
  5. Nude lipliner, filled in (usually either Subculture, Whirl or Chestnut).
  6. Whatever lipglass strikes my fancy: usually either Nymphette or Oh Baby. And by "strikes my fancy" I really mean whatever is closest and in the right spot on the rack.
  7. I step back as if considering, then add either Springsheen or Sunbasque depending on the person's coloring.
That's it. That's my fast face.

claresauntie

Quote:
... 5 or 6 huddle around one product asking each other back and forth about the product and intensely reading the label, but when you ask them if they have any questions they say JUST LOOKING.

Dude, I know! What's that about!? As if all of you can eventually, spontaneously come up with the answers by being close to the product? Guess what: I have the actual answer, and I will actually tell you what it is without making you do a little dance and sing a song!

glamqueen1

wavey.gif
I'm laughing and crying, these customers are crazy! I really hope for you guys that most people treat you with respect and politeness, though. Some people just find it hard to take advice, even though it's good advice, which probably explaines all the badly made up women out there.. Don't take all that bitching personally, they are the ones with a problem, and they have to live with themselves. Take care, out there!
cutey.gif

hnich

Quote:
for me, replace it with any form of asian, except the only thing they keep repeating is "just looking. just looking" then 5 or 6 huddle around one product asking each other back and forth about the product and intensely reading the label, but when you ask them if they have any questions they say JUST LOOKING.

YES! I mean, I can give you the answer you want in about 5 seconds, it's ok if you just want to know and don't want to buy (unless they're one of the customers who just comes in to chat, with no intentions of buying at all...)
My most annoying customer thus far was a 'philosophical' type who studied marketing, and kept complaining about why body shop has to advertise that they do community trade and charity donations. He didn't seem to like the fact that body shop is a business, and he just kept going on and on about how all companies are liars...and then of course asked for as many free samples as he could get away with. I gave him several just to get him out somewhat quicker.

and I get where coco's coming from about the foundation! A lot of the girls/woman who work at body shop have no previous experience w/makeup (even personally) and just assume things without asking someone who has a bit more of a clue...for foundation tests I always try at least two shades, and then tell them to look in a different mirror just to be safe first since the lighting's so horrid ...if they refuse, I emphasize our exchange policy! bad foundation is a crime against nature.
but yeah, to be honest, always use your own judgement when buying makeup there, anyone on specktra prob. knows more than most of the SA's...

dp3

Regarding the makeovers, what's the difference between the "10 min demo" makeovers and the full-on makeovers where the customer is required to purchase a certain $ amount? I got a full-on makeover once for graduation portraits, which was great.
smiles.gif

Note: I know it may seem that I answered by own question, but I was wondering what the details were from a MUA perspective.

Love Always Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnich
YES! I mean, I can give you the answer you want in about 5 seconds, it's ok if you just want to know and don't want to buy (unless they're one of the customers who just comes in to chat, with no intentions of buying at all...)
My most annoying customer thus far was a 'philosophical' type who studied marketing, and kept complaining about why body shop has to advertise that they do community trade and charity donations. He didn't seem to like the fact that body shop is a business, and he just kept going on and on about how all companies are liars...and then of course asked for as many free samples as he could get away with. I gave him several just to get him out somewhat quicker.

and I get where coco's coming from about the foundation! A lot of the girls/woman who work at body shop have no previous experience w/makeup (even personally) and just assume things without asking someone who has a bit more of a clue...for foundation tests I always try at least two shades, and then tell them to look in a different mirror just to be safe first since the lighting's so horrid ...if they refuse, I emphasize our exchange policy! bad foundation is a crime against nature.
but yeah, to be honest, always use your own judgement when buying makeup there, anyone on specktra prob. knows more than most of the SA's...

ive definetly had people come in and try to tell me how the body shop should advertise or that corporate should change the signs to this or that, like im sitting right there in the meetings with corp. and some woman came in and lectured me for 15 minutes about how vaseline is better to rub all over your body than spending money on products then walked out.

actually, at my store, we have 3 MAs. management specifically hired myself and 2 other girls for makeup consultation and skincare - so 3 of 4 SA's in my store have extensive prior makeup knowedge. makeup sales are what the company is trying to focus on bringing up, so we brought on MAs to really try and help it out. also every store is having mandatory back to basics meetings to go over makeup and skincare - how to properly and sanitarily demo, whats what and how to answer specific questions.... but yes the makeup at TBS is awful, but its still my job to sell it. the only thing its good for is people with allergies and sensitive skin - those are all my client base in terms of makeup. actually some of my clients are actually MAC MA's from two doors down. they come in for all their body care and they also pick up eyeshadows and lipglosses too.

Ruffage

This thread is an interesting read.
smiles.gif

Quote:

Not sure about other Asians like Indians, but for Chinese (am one) we tend to do the "just looking" thing because of the following reasons:

a. We like to huddle around and yak about a product. It's fun, even when the whole group knows that everyone involved in the yakking knows jack about the product. We also bond by giving each other questionable make up advice. The person offering advice feels like she's helping her friend and the friend compliments the person for her advice. Everybody wins!...sort of.

b. It intimidates us that someone who obviously possess superior knowledge on make up, wears a full face (some of you, anyway) and dons full uniform (all black for MAC) approaches us. We freak out on the inside and try to avoid you by saying "just looking". Also it is partly because we feel very awkward when someone offers you help and invest time to explain things to and try things on you, and you don't really intend buy their products. My experience in Hong Kong is if an SA in any kind of store offers you help and you don't buy stuff, you get sneered at and probably even get mild forms of catty verbal abuse (depending on store and people) for wasting their time. We also believe it makes us look "cheap", a big no-no for the Asian image. So our "strategy" is to smack down any possibility of help from store employees in the first place.

c. There's no delicate way of putting this, but some of us don't trust you guys with Asian make up. It's not a race thing but a cultural preference thing. I moved to Toronto three years ago and found that the way native Chinese-Canadians (friends whose parents were from Hong Kong) do their makeup and the way native Hong Kong-ers do theirs is different. For example, MUAs and women here tend to focus on the exotic features of the Asian faces, such as almond shape eyes, and work with the yellow-ness in the skin when selecting makeup, and also make faces look more mature because mature = sexy. In Hong Kong and Japan, the stuff above is considered undesirable. We like to make eyes rounder and larger, faces whiter and paler, and we make faces look more childish and doll-like because innocent childishness = cute.(which probably explains the non-age appropriate hello kitties, squeaky voices and "V" peace signs) You can say we're not embracing our natural Asianess, you can say we're in denial about our age, but that's just how we do things over there.

d. There are still a lot of us not willing to embrace colors. Some believe that colors unnatural to your face-- that is, anything outside of neutral browns and black-- makes you stick out from the crowd and while generally Westerners consider that a good thing because it shows your individuality, Asians think that is a form of boasting and trying too hard. Also it conflicts with the ideal Asian female image: the virgin, innocent, demure, shy, never-seduces, always-passively-wooed, naturally flawless, ready-to-be-wed young lady (lol as if those really exist anymore). We think MUAs and SAs will always try to recommend some colorful stuff to us (of course not true, because most generally work with what the customers want), so we try to avoid you. Younger generations and Koreans are usually more daring, however.

e. You won't believe how little experience some Asians have with make up. Many of my friends and aunts don't even know how to use mascara. We just follow the group into the make up store and fiddle around with the paints, really.

All of the above in no way excuses behaviours like yelling at SAs and treating store employees like dogs (some believe all power lies in the one with cash in hand, which is BS), but seriously, the "just talking" thing is nothing personal. Most Asians don't even realize it's rude. In fact, some think they're doing you a favor, because they're signaling you don't have to waste time on them.
smiles.gif

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffage
This thread is an interesting read.
smiles.gif

Not sure about other Asians like Indians, but for Chinese (am one) we tend to do the "just looking" thing because of the following reasons:

a. We like to huddle around and yak about a product. It's fun, even when the whole group knows that everyone involved in the yakking knows jack about the product. We also bond by giving each other questionable make up advice. The person offering advice feels like she's helping her friend and the friend compliments the person for her advice. Everybody wins!...sort of.

b. It intimidates us that someone who obviously possess superior knowledge on make up, wears a full face (some of you, anyway) and dons full uniform (all black for MAC) approaches us. We freak out on the inside and try to avoid you by saying "just looking". Also it is partly because we feel very awkward when someone offers you help and invest time to explain things to and try things on you, and you don't really intend buy their products. My experience in Hong Kong is if an SA in any kind of store offers you help and you don't buy stuff, you get sneered at and probably even get mild forms of catty verbal abuse (depending on store and people) for wasting their time. We also believe it makes us look "cheap", a big no-no for the Asian image. So our "strategy" is to smack down any possibility of help from store employees in the first place.

c. There's no delicate way of putting this, but some of us don't trust you guys with Asian make up. It's not a race thing but a cultural preference thing. I moved to Toronto three years ago and found that the way native Chinese-Canadians (friends whose parents were from Hong Kong) do their makeup and the way native Hong Kong-ers do theirs is different. For example, MUAs and women here tend to focus on the exotic features of the Asian faces, such as almond shape eyes, and work with the yellow-ness in the skin when selecting makeup, and also make faces look more mature because mature = sexy. In Hong Kong and Japan, the stuff above is considered undesirable. We like to make eyes rounder and larger, faces whiter and paler, and we make faces look more childish and doll-like because innocent childishness = cute.(which probably explains the non-age appropriate hello kitties, squeaky voices and "V" peace signs) You can say we're not embracing our natural Asianess, you can say we're in denial about our age, but that's just how we do things over there.

d. There are still a lot of us not willing to embrace colors. Some believe that colors unnatural to your face-- that is, anything outside of neutral browns and black-- makes you stick out from the crowd and while generally Westerners consider that a good thing because it shows your individuality, Asians think that is a form of boasting and trying too hard. Also it conflicts with the ideal Asian female image: the virgin, innocent, demure, shy, never-seduces, always-passively-wooed, naturally flawless, ready-to-be-wed young lady (lol as if those really exist anymore). We think MUAs and SAs will always try to recommend some colorful stuff to us (of course not true, because most generally work with what the customers want), so we try to avoid you. Younger generations and Koreans are usually more daring, however.

e. You won't believe how little experience some Asians have with make up. Many of my friends and aunts don't even know how to use mascara. We just follow the group into the make up store and fiddle around with the paints, really.

All of the above in no way excuses behaviours like yelling at SAs and treating store employees like dogs (some believe all power lies in the one with cash in hand, which is BS), but seriously, the "just talking" thing is nothing personal. Most Asians don't even realize it's rude. In fact, some think they're doing you a favor, because they're signaling you don't have to waste time on them.
smiles.gif

Thank you so much for this post. As I was reading the above posts about the specific races and group of women that were being referred, I became very uneasy because I know that there are cultural differences. The women could seriously not be trying to be rude on purpose at all, but it may come off rude by American standards. Kind of like how a lot of people mistake Chinese languages as "yelling" when really they are just talking to each other normally.

Quote:

I've been to stores with Vietnamese owners before (I know how to speak Vietnamese) with my mother and you really can't even look without buying anything. I remember being at a store in Vietnam and the lady seriously cussed us out and yelled at us for not buying anything!

Quote:

That's kind of like how it is with me. I'm really sorry to say this, but I've never had an enjoyable makeover done before. My eyes have no crease and every MA I've had has not been able to successfully apply eye makeup on my eyes to make them look decent. It could be because I've dealt with mediocre MA's since I've never had a makeover by MAC before, or the MA's don't know how to deal with specific Asian clients. Because when I was younger I've never had a makeover I've liked, I don't trust any MA applying makeup on me. I've learnt to just do my makeup myself to my own tastes. I did have an Asian creaseless friend get her makeovers for prom and such done at MAC and she doesn't like them, neither do I. They usually just draw a crease on her which looks ridiculous IMHO.
ssad.gif
But don't take it like I'm blaming the MA or whatever. A lot of them probably don't get the chance to experiment with Asians that much. It took me a while explore and to experiment with my eyes to make them look good. If you told me to apply makeup on a person with a crease, I might have some trouble since I don't know my way around a crease!