I love when customers try to tell me how to do my job...

MissMarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze
Go to Clinique if you want natural, forgive me.
icon_eek.gif

Hehehehee

Yep, we're the natural look counter. But you wouldn't believe the looks we can come up with for some customers who are devoted to us but want to look like Dame Edna (and I'm not even exaggerating).

I like it that we have the "natural look" rep though, because it means I can say to a 14 year old, "I will not put Black Velvet eyeshadow on you up to your eyebrows. It is a lovely shade for evening, or for a formal event, but your mother has brought you here to learn how to take care of your skin and to get some makeup appropriate for you to wear every day at school. Let's look at some softer colors for you, and then we'll play with wilder looks that you can wear later on."

Anyway, I mostly hate customers now. I had a seven-day stretch without a day off, so I hate all customers and co-workers. Good thing I'm off for a bit so I can go in with a normal attitude of "Please don't throw anything at me today".

And as far as cultural/racial things go, I haven't noticed anything- I do have a regular Chinese customer who is SO gorgeous and I LOVE putting makeup on her...and I've noticed she really likes pale pastels on her eyes and soft pink blush on the apples of her cheeks- and it's cute. So I just try to go with whatever the client wants to look like- even when it's a 70 year old white lady trying to replicate a tan on her face with a foundation 10 shades too dark. Hell, I can't NOT sell it to them.

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukiyomi
Hahaha, customers who know it all. Sorry you have to deal with that.
ssad.gif

But, I wanted to let you know that Titanium Dioxide is a chemical. Mica is a mineral but you were half right.
smiles.gif

http://www.ilo.org/public/english/pr...3/icsc0338.htm

but not in BE, it's a physical sunblock, it wasn't added so it's not technically a chemical component in that particular product (according to them; i'm not 100% convinced about BE so it could be a crock) she was asserting that TD in the mineral powders was added chemically. i know it's a chemical; clients just have trigger words. Like mineral oil, or talc.
"Mineral oil? OH NO!!!" "It doesn't say it's non-comedogenic, I don't want it." "Talc?! GET IT AWAY!"

People are just freaks is all. And everybody's "sensitive;"
"Don't use that on me, my skin's very sensitive." Your skin is sensitive, but you use Clinique Clarifying Lotion Number 4...which can take off nail polish? Sensitive: I think not.

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
I could have sworn that there's a certified organic line sold at Sephora. I don't remember the name though. Uhh it's killing me!

[edit] Okay it was Juice that was the brand. But I guess it's not fully organic since their SPF lotion had titanium dioxide which I just read an above post saying it was a chemical. But I'm interested in it cause it doesn't have octinoxate! yay! I'm allergic to that stuff
ssad.gif
Juice Beauty makes me hungry... lol.

Organic doesn't mean natural; you can have an organic skincare line that still uses some chemical ingredients. Organic just means that the natural ingredients in it were grown without hormones/pesticides/insectidies other harmful additives. Juice Beauty and Stella McCartney CARE are both certified organic. Dr. Hauschka and Korres are damn near organic, but they're not certified.

MAC_Pixie04

I don't typically like to screen customers either, but if you come in 5 days a week just play with makeup, and there's never been a record of you actually making a purchase in our store, there's a good chance that I'm gonna give you a "walking consultation;" in which I WALK you to the brand/gondola of interest, CONSULT you quickly on what products work well, and then CONSULT you again on proper hygiene (using wands and disposables, not double dipping into our products) and then I proceed to WALK away to help someone that I know cares. Now on a slow day, I'd love nothing more than to sit you down and play with makeup on your face for as long as I can get away with. We don't have individual quotas (thank god) so I don't feel pressured to sell.
Now in the area I work in, there are very few women of color. I mostly see Asians, Caucasians, a select handful of Indians, and on weekends a lot of Hispanic clients. I don't like to stereotype, because the Caucasian lady you're paying a bunch of attention to might buy a $4 lip liner while the Hispanic woman you ignored rings up at $400 (this happens ALL THE TIME). It's my general philosophy not to screen and stereotype my clients, except for those select circumstances like 16 year olds who come in to play.

And okay, is it just my store or what....what the hell is up with teenage girls bringing in their boyfriends/guy friends to put makeup on them and emasculate them? I see it DAILY. There's a high school down the street from the mall and groups of kids come in and girls are like holding guys down and putting makeup on them. WHY?! That's NOT sexy, not one bit. Why the fuck would you want to humiliate your man like that? Fuck you Pete Wentz and Jared Leto and Bret Michaels, this "guy-liner" bullshit is all your fault.
And DON'T SHOP OUR DRAWS/CABINETS! This isn't Victoria's Secret, we don't invited you to find the product you need in our drawers. There's a group of women who come in all the time and help themselves to samples in our drawers. They know not to shop the drawers (I politely mention it all the time to them) and when I come by and ask "Is there anything I can help you find?" which means "Get the fuck out of the drawer, you don't work here." They go "Nope, got what I need, thanks!"

Oh...and the Stila Natural Finish Oil Free Girl. This girl has been coming in every other week since like December. She comes in and says she wants to try Stila foundation. She gets matched for Stila Natural Finish Oil-Free makeup in shade "C" every time and wants a sample. But everytime she comes back, she goes over the whole shpeal like we don't recognize her: she wants to be consulted, then matched, then apply it all over, then give her a sample. EVERY TIME! So today I one-upped her. She was like "I'm interested in trying Stila Foundation *points to it* I heard this one was go---" I already had a damn sample made up when she walked in. DO NOT WASTE MY TIME.

tsukiyomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
but not in BE, it's a physical sunblock, it wasn't added so it's not technically a chemical component in that particular product (according to them; i'm not 100% convinced about BE so it could be a crock) she was asserting that TD in the mineral powders was added chemically. i know it's a chemical; clients just have trigger words. Like mineral oil, or talc.
"Mineral oil? OH NO!!!" "It doesn't say it's non-comedogenic, I don't want it." "Talc?! GET IT AWAY!"

People are just freaks is all. And everybody's "sensitive;"
"Don't use that on me, my skin's very sensitive." Your skin is sensitive, but you use Clinique Clarifying Lotion Number 4...which can take off nail polish? Sensitive: I think not.

Ah. Haha, you have a way with words. :p

BloodMittens

Quote:
And DON'T SHOP OUR DRAWS/CABINETS! This isn't Victoria's Secret, we don't invited you to find the product you need in our drawers. There's a group of women who come in all the time and help themselves to samples in our drawers. They know not to shop the drawers (I politely mention it all the time to them) and when I come by and ask "Is there anything I can help you find?" which means "Get the fuck out of the drawer, you don't work here." They go "Nope, got what I need, thanks!"

Actually, at Victoria's Secret, they are not allowed to shop in the drawers either. You know, the bottom drawers where everything is? Yeah... not allowed, I actually get really pissy when people do this, if you need something, ASK, don't go rummaging around the drawer that took me 6 hours to organize with our makeup.

Victoria's Secret Beauty is hell. I will state that right now. I don't get CRAZY customers, but I do get mean ones.

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco.butter.
When I told her that it's a bit dark for me, she said, "Summer's here anyway."
It was March. Canadian March.
She just stood there, starring at me. :confused:

lmao.gif
lmao.gif
lmao.gif
Honestly, I have no words. As a Canadian I'm stupified by her answer but enjoying the laughter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffage
All of the above in no way excuses behaviours like yelling at SAs and treating store employees like dogs (some believe all power lies in the one with cash in hand, which is BS), but seriously, the "just talking" thing is nothing personal. Most Asians don't even realize it's rude. In fact, some think they're doing you a favor, because they're signaling you don't have to waste time on them.
smiles.gif

Ruffage, you did an excellent job in bridging the cultural gap. I can actually see my mother-in-law and her friends being the huddle in a MAC store, fascinated yet intimidated by their surroundings, just happy they get to look at something "young and hip".
lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by righteothen
she then takes out a sponge, and puts it on my face (i gave her the okay, only because she wasn't leaving me alone, and i was hoping that i could get away), says basically "see, you aren't reacting immediately, so you're fine!," and tries to sell it to me again. i have sensitive skin, not allergies!

rofl.gif
It's a good thing you noted you gave her the okay b/c I imagined her taking a swipe at you as you passed by - which is highly unlikely for anyone to do, but judging from what we're reading in this thread.... And her reply, WTF??? Talk about one track mind to sell!

These stories of unappreciative customers reminds me of my last MAC visit. While I was talking to an MUA (let's call her Cary) an older Chinese lady comes up from behind me out of nowhere and waves her Estee Lauder foundation bottle at Cary, putting a screeching halt to whatever we were talking about. She mutters something like "She talk too much, you all talk too much", alternating the direction of her wave from Cary to towards another another MUA. She reminded me of the Crazy Cat Lady from The Simpsons, only a bit more reserved and quiet. Cary tries very hard to be polite, furrows her brow and askes "Sorry, how can I help you?" and the old lady just keeps muttering and waving. She gives one last wave of disgust, then turns around shaking her head and muttering as she walked out of the store with me, Cary and the other MUA just staring after her.

It's not as lmao funny as the previous stories, but more like a "What just happened?" moment. It was funny for me because she just came out of nowhere, and it was so bizarre to have someone coming up beside my elbow muttering and waving a bottle of foundation around. Apparently she wanted help with choosing another foundation and all the associates were busy, hence the "you all talk too much". But dear old lady, they were talking to other people who asked for their help first! Incidentally the MA she was mainly accusing is Asian, who advised her (under her breath) to go to The Bay instead. That was definitely a culture/generation clash b/c the customer expected to be serviced right away since she's older, but of course, that's not how things work anymore. She reminds me of my grandmother, who's finding it very hard her grandchildren aren't doing things the old Chinese way.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
Ohhh I feel y'all.
*We had the ladies from a nail salon all come in to the store looking for full free demos while we were short staffed and bought nothing. We looked at each other and one girl said that we should go to the salon, all get mani/ pedis and walk out asking them to right down the color and I that I have to see if I like it and if I do I might come back and buy the color.People no longer care about the service that they are receiving or the time I put into it.

*I also love how people are so demanding about what they want and where they want it. If you want it like that you could have done it yourself at home.

*And as far as what MA you choose to help you, I love it when someone asks you nine million questions, and wants you to try a hundred things on them but when you ask do they want anything they say no they are just looking. But the second you turn your back they bring out a list of 70 items they want and hand it to the next MA to give them the sale. LOVE IT! This is where i see the most prejudice in the world.

I read the first two sentences in your post and was about to tell you to go take advantage of their services...y'all should go in with stinky feet, too.
lol.gif

I think it's kinda messed up if your co-worker doesn't give you the sale, especially if you've done a face chart for the customer.

MacPixie, don't forget about Brett Micheal's lip gloss.
clap.gif
I've seen him in person and I swear he had more makeup on than me.

blueyesdancing

What is needed is a re-training of customers. There are polite and courteous ways of doing so.

It is NOT ACCEPTABLE for customers to be going through drawers for samples. Move the samples around if you have to...I would hehe!! For the girl who comes in for foundation samples and pretends that she is new to it...greet her immediately when she comes in with a chipper "Hey cutie! What did you think of that ____ that we let you try?" or say "So and so told me that she gave you a sample of X foundation. Now that you have had some time [or: several opportunites] to experience it, what do you think?" or some other open-ended question. There are many ways to say "F*%&* you with love". And still provide excellent customer service. Don't let them walk all over you. It is ok to be firm while still being polite.

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodMittens
Actually, at Victoria's Secret, they are not allowed to shop in the drawers either. You know, the bottom drawers where everything is? Yeah... not allowed, I actually get really pissy when people do this, if you need something, ASK, don't go rummaging around the drawer that took me 6 hours to organize with our makeup.

Victoria's Secret Beauty is hell. I will state that right now. I don't get CRAZY customers, but I do get mean ones.

i meant the underwear/bra shopping drawers. at all the VS stores I've been to, there are big p-touch strips that say "please shop the drawers for your size." our drawers are p-touched "Drawers are to be opened by employees only." clearly reading is not something our clients do lol

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyesdancing
What is needed is a re-training of customers. There are polite and courteous ways of doing so.

It is NOT ACCEPTABLE for customers to be going through drawers for samples. Move the samples around if you have to...I would hehe!! For the girl who comes in for foundation samples and pretends that she is new to it...greet her immediately when she comes in with a chipper "Hey cutie! What did you think of that ____ that we let you try?" or say "So and so told me that she gave you a sample of X foundation. Now that you have had some time [or: several opportunites] to experience it, what do you think?" or some other open-ended question. There are many ways to say "F*%&* you with love". And still provide excellent customer service. Don't let them walk all over you. It is ok to be firm while still being polite.

Yeah thats what everyone else does, "Oh hey, how'd you like the Stila foundation?" I don't mind sampling, I actually love to give samples because it means they'll either love it and come back or they'll hate it and i dont have to worry about them returning it two days later.
If I moved the samples, the Ops people would KILL me lol

BloodMittens

Quote:
i meant the underwear/bra shopping drawers. at all the VS stores I've been to, there are big p-touch strips that say "please shop the drawers for your size." our drawers are p-touched "Drawers are to be opened by employees only." clearly reading is not something our clients do lol

Ohhh, i thought you were talking about the beauty drawers.

Yeah, bra drawers are just supposed to be like hanging racks that's all. But the beauty drawers are off limits to customers, but they still find it funny to search for the drawer opening and search through everything.

MAC_Pixie04

see i could understand them being confused at vs, because there are SOME drawers that can be shopped. we don't have ANY drawers to be shopped, so there's no confusing in my store. just plain ignorance.

BloodMittens

Quote:
see i could understand them being confused at vs, because there are SOME drawers that can be shopped. we don't have ANY drawers to be shopped, so there's no confusing in my store. just plain ignorance.

No, I agree, but also our beauty drawers are made INTO the wall, so they purposely look for them to open them. And most of them are near your feet so you have to open them from the bottom. It's just funny I think.

BloodMittens

Lol. I love when they come up to you afterwards and ask "Do you have any of this or this in your drawers or in the back?"

I might as well let them go into the backroom and search after they went through the drawers.

Karen_B

When a MUA or SA asks me if I need help I usually say, in a friendly voice, "I'll look for a bit and if I need some advice I'll give you a shout". I like browzing, most of the time I don't really know what it is I want to buy (just that I WANT to buy something, lol!) so I need to see if anything tickles my fancy.

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_B
When a MUA or SA asks me if I need help I usually say, in a friendly voice, "I'll look for a bit and if I need some advice I'll give you a shout". I like browzing, most of the time I don't really know what it is I want to buy (just that I WANT to buy something, lol!) so I need to see if anything tickles my fancy.

Dude, there is nothin' wrong with that! I like to browse, too.

I am assuming that most places are like where I work: I need to greet you as soon as I see you (and I should! it's just polite!). And I want to see if you need help. But if you indicate, politely, that you're just browsing, I will probably point out our new collections and anything else of note (specials, etc...) and tell you to wave/wink/holler/call me when you need anything. No worries.

But what we're upset about is the "no!!!" from a customer who then asks tons of questions or a "no!!" from a customer who then immediately goes to another associate with a list and drops money with her/him.

But thanks so much for being polite and independent! I LIKE THAT IN A CUSTOMER!
smiles.gif

hnich

I just read Ruffage's post about Asian-Canadian customers, and just wanted to thank her so much!
We have many both naturalized Canadian Asian customers in our store and new Canadians, and the difference between behaviour and expectations in both is staggering and this helps out..Usually I see a group huddling around the product I assume they need help and don't know to ask so I rush over, only to be immediately rebuffed, and I have had a m/o customer complaining that I 'couldn't do asian eyes' (I did exactly what you said, darker colors emphasizing the shape of the eye, compensating for crease) while I've had other asian customers who wanted exactly that and would hate me if I tried a babydoll look!...it was a lot easier when we had a SA who was Chinese, with her there, we never even bothered trying, so it's a sudden change to suddenly having customers whose ways are unfamiliar to us
Anyways, I feel like I should print this out and bring it to work! It would go a long way towards making SA's and customers feel more comfortable in the store

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_B

I usually approach a customer with a smile and "Please let me know if I can get anything for you." That usually elicits a "I want to try....." Most of the time, I get a sale, sometimes not. Sometimes, the customer is just so bad you want them to leave without buying anything!