I love when customers try to tell me how to do my job...

claresauntie

I agree that this thread was starting to make me a bit uneasy. I don't really care for generalizations, and am very aware of cultural differences (for example, I'm the only MA at my counter that acknowledges the tendency of Indian women to aim for foundation a shade lighter than their skin color. Not a look I like, but it's a) not on me and b) not my money and c) not my culture.) But I find your response illuminating, Ruffage: I didn't realize a lot of what you had said here, so THANK YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffage
a. We like to huddle around and yak about a product. It's fun, even when the whole group knows that everyone involved in the yakking knows jack about the product. We also bond by giving each other questionable make up advice. The person offering advice feels like she's helping her friend and the friend compliments the person for her advice. Everybody wins!...sort of.

This is a very helpful and articulate response that made me understand a lot better. THANK YOU! Also: I appreciate the giggle. You should write for a living, if you don't already.
smiles.gif

Quote:
b. It intimidates us that someone who obviously possess superior knowledge on make up, wears a full face (some of you, anyway) and dons full uniform (all black for MAC) approaches us. We freak out on the inside and try to avoid you by saying "just looking". Also it is partly because we feel very awkward when someone offers you help and invest time to explain things to and try things on you, and you don't really intend buy their products. My experience in Hong Kong is if an SA in any kind of store offers you help and you don't buy stuff, you get sneered at and probably even get mild forms of catty verbal abuse (depending on store and people) for wasting their time. We also believe it makes us look "cheap", a big no-no for the Asian image. So our "strategy" is to smack down any possibility of help from store employees in the first place.

This is another great insight that helps me a lot. Thanks.

Quote:
... some of us don't trust you guys with Asian make up.....MUAs and women here tend to focus on the exotic features of the Asian faces, such as almond shape eyes, and work with the yellow-ness in the skin when selecting makeup, and also make faces look more mature because mature = sexy. In Hong Kong and Japan, the stuff above is considered undesirable. We like to make eyes rounder and larger, faces whiter and paler, and we make faces look more childish and doll-like because innocent childishness = cute.

Ok, so in all seriousness: if a client of mine doesn't tell me to make her look more round-eyed and fair and innocent looking, how do I know if she wants that look? I don't want to make assumptions on the opposite end of the spectrum and start sending customers out looking like dolls if they don't want that! How do I broach that subject? 'Cause I've noticed that many of my Asian customers are soft-spoken and tend not to give me too much direction... (which I now understand better due to your post, too!).

PS: This last comment also helps me understand that poor Chinese-American girl who, after I did her prom makeup, said "I look Asian" in a crestfallen tone. I suppose she wanted more of what you had been describing. Can you help me prevent this in the future!?
smiles.gif

bli5s

I'm a student and i absolutely adore makeup. The problem is the minute i walk into a mac store...all the mua's just ignore me thinking that i wouldnt be able to afford anything there. it's kinda annoying... Do the mua's really "screen" you before being helpful, coming over, offering assistance..etc.etc??

Beauty Mark

I think part of the problem with some of the demos and makeup selection is people don't communicate well. If you can't really articulate what you want to look like, people should use photos or mention well-known people to give ideas.

I'm Asian but I'd be upset if an MA made me look younger than I am; I want to look my age. No older, no younger.

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3
Regarding the makeovers, what's the difference between the "10 min demo" makeovers and the full-on makeovers where the customer is required to purchase a certain $ amount? I got a full-on makeover once for graduation portraits, which was great.
smiles.gif

Note: I know it may seem that I answered by own question, but I was wondering what the details were from a MUA perspective.

I can take anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes on a full-on makeup application (lashes included). Believe me, there is a BIG difference!! Sometimes, I get a feeling that the customer isn't going to buy much (or anything for that matter), but she might be a total joy to work on. She gets her makeup done, and I get to hone my skills...everyone wins!

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bli5s
I'm a student and i absolutely adore makeup. The problem is the minute i walk into a mac store...all the mua's just ignore me thinking that i wouldnt be able to afford anything there. it's kinda annoying... Do the mua's really "screen" you before being helpful, coming over, offering assistance..etc.etc??

I don't "screen" or profile customers. Nope. And Nordstrom and MAC don't want me to do that, either!

But yes, some MAs do.

I personally am not a mind reader and can't tell who is going to buy something until she's at the register.
lol.gif

MisStarrlight

Cultural differences aside-It is NOT appropriate to yell, hiss or snap your fingers at someone, or demand or grab at them either.

I don't "screen" customers either....I really don't care what you're buying cause I'll make my goal regardless. I once gave away this really rude woman who thought she knew everything about everything who I know was buying at least $200 worth of stuff to go help a really nice girl who probably only bought an eyeshadow cause I didn't really care.

FacesbyNiki

@ MAC_Pixie04: Girl, I want to give you a big hug and take you out for drinks for NOT cursing their asses out!!!

LMAO!!!!!

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by claresauntie
I don't "screen" or profile customers. Nope. And Nordstrom and MAC don't want me to do that, either!

But yes, some MAs do.

I personally am not a mind reader and can't tell who is going to buy something until she's at the register.
lol.gif

All MAC MA's have mind reading powers. Didn't you know??!!! When you say light blue we KNOW you really mean hot pink!!!
cutey.gif

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Mine:
  1. Mineralize Skinfinish Natural (unless a dark-skinned yellow-undertoned person, in which case: Studio Fix).
  2. Appropriate Paint Pot for her skin color (used to be a Paint or a Shadestick).
  3. All That Glitters.
  4. Mascara X - Black. No liner (I say "it looks fresh and bright-eyed if you don't use liner")
  5. Nude lipliner, filled in (usually either Subculture, Whirl or Chestnut).
  6. Whatever lipglass strikes my fancy: usually either Nymphette or Oh Baby. And by "strikes my fancy" I really mean whatever is closest and in the right spot on the rack.
  7. I step back as if considering, then add either Springsheen or Sunbasque depending on the person's coloring.
That's it. That's my fast face.

Not all of us dark-skinned sistah's like Studio Fix. LOL

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
All MAC MA's have mind reading powers. Didn't you know??!!! When you say light blue we KNOW you really mean hot pink!!!
cutey.gif

OH , well THAT'S a different story! That's called "Creative Color Interpretation" in which "bronze" = "gold" and "natural" = "smoky and tarty". That's not mind-reading, but a skill they teach you in our secret MA classes.
graucho.gif

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
OH , well THAT'S a different story! That's called "Creative Color Interpretation" in which "bronze" = "gold" and "natural" = "smoky and tarty". That's not mind-reading, but a skill they teach you in our secret MA classes.
graucho.gif

Oh my gawd!! I literally bust out laughing..
rofl.gif
lmao.gif
rofl.gif
lmao.gif

ms.marymac

First, I have to say,

"at my store we give out alot of free samples with almost every purchase. that just part of our body shop theory. that doesnt mean people can waltz into the store with no intention of getting anything and just go up and ask "do you have anything free today". its free for you to get out of my store, thats whats free today." =
lmao.gif

I am still seeing women who say, "But I can't see it!!" when I find the right match in their foundation. Some like to grab the brush and PILE it on.

The woman who repeatedly says (referring to her daughter), "Well, the PROFESSIONAL MUA made her skin look flawless. She has since broken out really bad and I need her to look FLAWLESS, like when the PROFESSIONAL MUA did her foundation. "
th_crazy2.gif

I'm sure I will think of more.

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
... The woman who repeatedly says (referring to her daughter), "Well, the PROFESSIONAL MUA made her skin look flawless. She has since broken out really bad and I need her to look FLAWLESS, like when the PROFESSIONAL MUA did her foundation. "
th_crazy2.gif

Ah, yes... the damned model-girl-child and her stage mother. I always want to say "well, the PROFESSIONAL artist should have taught her how to wash her makeup off so she doesn't have a nasty breakout!"

dmenchi

Quote:
Ah, yes. You guys have me cracking up and crying with depression at the same time. Glad to see it's not just me, though.
smiles.gif

Yesterday I had a classic: "I want a new look." OK, what do you normally wear? Hmmm.... All right, well let's try this also-completely-natural-and-subtle-look that's pretty much the same as the one you wear everyday, but the color is 1 sliver of a shade deeper/brighter/lighter/softer. How do you like that? "Oh, no! I could never wear that! Can I just have another Naked Lunch, please?" (Said, of course, while looking at you accusingly as if you just made her look like a Transvestite Hooker on stage during Mardis Gras).

And of course, we all love this one: "Hi! My friend/sister/mother wants a new look. Can you help her pick some colors?" (usually said by an obviously pushy woman standing next to another woman who clearly doesn't want to be anywhere near a makeup counter). Um, sure, you say, while mentally slitting your own wrists. Of course, every question you ask "the victim" is answered by a hesitant look towards the more assertive woman, who answers for her- but while taking her own preferences into account. So you try to split the difference and get the quiet woman something subtle, the whole time being told that brushes and primer are a scam made up by cosmetics companies to get more money, that you don't line the lips properly, that you didn't quite shade that eye properly, that you don't know how to pick colors for her skin tone/put foundation on her skin type/put makeup on a woman in her profession/don't know what you're talking about re: skincare because Lye soap and Olive Oil have always suited her just fine thank you very much/place your own illogical insult here. Of course, the only "good" thing is at the end they usually spend $15 or $20 while bitching at you about the cost, which you pretend to ignore while you cheerfully hand them the receipt and thank them for their time, knowing full-well that as soon as they are 2 steps away (still within ear-shot) you will hear "Honey, she didn't know nothin'. I'll show you how to do it when we get you home."

Sigh.

Oh, and one more: "Um... how much is a makeover???" asked by a 14-year old girl. (No offense meant, ladies- not all 14-year olds are like this, but sorry: many are). Um, we don't charge for makeovers, so you can save your money to buy our great products, you reply. As you watch her eyes light up, you write off the next 20 minutes of your life. So you make her extra cute, and when you're done watch her climb down off the stool, brightly say "THANKS!" and watch her walk out the door while getting on her cell to tell all of her friends how cool Nordstrom's MAC counter is 'cause they don't charge you for a full makeover. However, if you're smart, you handed her the business card of the associate you don't like, so when she calls later for appointments for all 12 of her friends before they go to Red Robin for dinner, you're not stuck with it.
graucho.gif

clap.gif
lmao.gif
rofl.gif
clap.gif
SOOOO true....

ms.marymac

Quote:
Ah, yes... the damned model-girl-child and her stage mother. I always want to say "well, the PROFESSIONAL artist should have taught her how to wash her makeup off so she doesn't have a nasty breakout!"

Yep! Or that maybe the reason her skin looked flawless before was b/c the poor girl wasn't plagued with a severe breakout. You want to tell them foundation/concealer will only cover so much but you don't want to hurt the girl's feelings.

On that note, how about the stage mom that wants to set an appointment for every night of her daughter's play (despite the fact there is only one person working on those nights) but doesn't really need any makeup because the daughter never wears it? :spy: Must be nice b/c when I was in plays in HS we did not have that luxury-we had to do our own.
lol.gif
Sorry, a little off topic but I had just thought about a particular customer.

giz2000

Quote:
graucho.gif

Shhh..you'll give away all our secrets!!
rofl.gif

calbear

Ohhh I feel y'all.
*We had the ladies from a nail salon all come in to the store looking for full free demos while we were short staffed and bought nothing. We looked at each other and one girl said that we should go to the salon, all get mani/ pedis and walk out asking them to write down the color and I that I have to see if I like it and if I do I might come back and buy the color.People no longer care about the service that they are receiving or the time I put into it.

*I also love how people are so demanding about what they want and where they want it. If you want it like that you could have done it yourself at home.

*And as far as what MA you choose to help you, I love it when someone asks you nine million questions, and wants you to try a hundred things on them but when you ask do they want anything they say no they are just looking. But the second you turn your back they bring out a list of 70 items they want and hand it to the next MA to give them the sale. LOVE IT! This is where i see the most prejudice in the world.

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
...But the second you turn your back they bring out a list of 70 items they want and hand it to the next MA to give them the sale.

:confused: YEAH! What the f is that about!?!?!
hmm.gif

righteothen

Quote:

man that brings back memories. i happen to be the daughter in that situation, and it's not fun. i don't want the makeup, the ma doesn't want to deal with my mother, no body is winning from this situation.

when i'm alone, it's an entirely different story, though. i chat with the ma, i ask about colors, lipsticks, etc. (i usually end up buying at least one product), and if i see that i'm bugging someone, i leave them alone! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
I don't "screen" customers either....I really don't care what you're buying cause I'll make my goal regardless. I once gave away this really rude woman who thought she knew everything about everything who I know was buying at least $200 worth of stuff to go help a really nice girl who probably only bought an eyeshadow cause I didn't really care.

i must be one of those girls, because i have that happen to me a lot. i just can't understand why some of my fellow customers have to be such jerks.

question: is it considered okay to push a product on someone? i just had that happen today. i was shopping at my grocery store, and they happened to have a new line of natural cosmetics come in, and so there was a woman there. i didn't even look at the products, i was just going down the aisle (it happens to also have medicine on it). she then proceeds to try and force me to buy this tinted moisturizer, even when i told her that i wasn't looking, and that i have sensitive skin (pet peeve - if i'm looking at foundation, that means i've done the research, and know i'm probably not going to react. if i say i can't test it, leave me alone ><). she then takes out a sponge, and puts it on my face (i gave her the okay, only because she wasn't leaving me alone, and i was hoping that i could get away), says basically "see, you aren't reacting immediately, so you're fine!," and tries to sell it to me again. i have sensitive skin, not allergies!

any case, long story short, is it considered okay to do something like that?

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by righteothen
any case, long story short, is it considered okay to do something like that?

NO.:banghead: