MAC Divine Night Collection (October 17, 2013)

dabeautyenabler

These are the items I'm most interested in possibly getting, but I don't think any of them are a MUST have for me:

MSF Scene to be seen
Private Party lipstick
Lavish Living, Talk of the Town, Lure to Love
Orpheus & Mystery

mousygiggles

I can only speak for myself, but I'm sure others can relate as they had similar experiences. I stopped posting reviews, color stories or provide swatches (I'm talking about the early ones 2 - 3 weeks before the official release) as I got burnt by bloggers or other forums that blatantly stole my pics or copied my review without my consent. About a year ago, it got to the point where it was extremely frustrating to see that the info (including the little bugs I inserted) I posted on Spectra was floating around on other blogs, thus I decided to stop posting any information on new collections. I'm certain that this is the reason why others also stopped posting or at least don't post as much any more. It seems to be a common problem, but there is no solution.
I know. I miss you posting. I stopped for a while too but I was kinda sick so makeup was the last thing on my mind. I wish we could get back to that. It was so helpful for the legit members. I hated seeing what you gave us be stolen time after time.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I'm not too fond of the fee idea. If someone is really here just to be alarmed when a collection is live so they can buy to resell they will happily pay that fee. I don't think it would keep those folks away.

mousygiggles

I went up to my local MAC counter a few days ago to check out the Divine Night goodies. The MUA there told me about an event they're having for the collection launch, and insisted I schedule an appointment sooo I did. The thing is, I've never gone to a MAC event like this before, and I don't know what to expect! Could someone please explain them to me?
They do your makeup with products from the launch. I would go bare faced if you want to try new foundation or with foundation if you want to try just new items. You have input into what you like usually like colors and textures and how dramatic your looks usually are. Then you spend $50 on product for the service.

MamboPoet

I went up to my local MAC counter a few days ago to check out the Divine Night goodies. The MUA there told me about an event they're having for the collection launch, and insisted I schedule an appointment sooo I did. The thing is, I've never gone to a MAC event like this before, and I don't know what to expect! Could someone please explain them to me?
Same here! Thinking of going to one in the city...

Richelle83

Quote: Originally Posted by Spikesmom
True, 50 is too easy. I was just using that as an example. Something else I haven't seen address is people coming back and listing what they ordered. Isn't that enough of a clue that a collection is live somewhere? It won't take a rocket scientist to check 5 or 6 sites and start snapping it up. I'm honestly not criticizing everyone who has graciously been looking for a solution, but imo it wasn't well thought out.

I get what you're saying but at the same time it wasn't really meant to be a permanent solution. It was really introduced after the latest Rihanna fiasco and basically meant for that. But we needed to test it out beforehand so this collection was perfect, it worked for a few minutes lol.

ARmakeupjunkie

I have been out here almost seven years, longer than most and I don't have 1,000 post. Increasing the post count, okay, I have no problem with that but, I don't care for the pay to play idea. Lock the thread down if need be but charging just seems like a little much.

RayRay88

They do your makeup with products from the launch. I would go bare faced if you want to try new foundation or with foundation if you want to try just new items. You have input into what you like usually like colors and textures and how dramatic your looks usually are. Then you spend $50 on product for the service.
Thanks so much for the deets!

mousygiggles

I get what you're saying but at the same time it wasn't really meant to be a permanent solution. It was really introduced after the latest Rihanna fiasco and basically meant for that. But we needed to test it out beforehand so this collection was perfect, it worked for a few minutes lol.
You tried and the need for changes has been coming and I am glad you are working so hard for something. Nothing will please everyone but something is better than nothing.

jennyap

Quote:Originally Posted by Spikesmom

True, 50 is too easy.  I was just using that as an example.  Something else I haven't seen address is people coming back and listing what they ordered.  Isn't that enough of a clue that a collection is live somewhere?  It won't take a rocket scientist to check 5 or 6 sites and start snapping it up.  I'm honestly not criticizing everyone who has graciously been looking for a solution, but imo it wasn't well thought out. 

That's the problem IMO - there is no easy solution. The site owners want the traffic, we all want to share, and asking any group of people as large and diverse as this to self-censor is an almost impossible task. The best thing I could come up with would be to have the existing colour collections section be for product discussion only (reviews, usage etc) and a separate members only section for launch discussions, with reasonable but not prohibitive restrictions on post counts. BUT I imagine most members would probably find it difficult to keep the two separate, so either the product thread would need strong active moderation, all the product discussion would end up migrating to the launch thread so excluding the newer members, or both. I would also think a moderator should have the ability to override the post count requirement for the member section, as there are inevitably going to be valuable members who do contribute and are clearly not leeching but don't qualify. The approach being used now might not be what I'd have chosen, but I know that it's just an interim measure, and I applaud Richelle et al for at least doing something - doesn't have to be perfect to be better.

mousygiggles

True, 50 is too easy. I was just using that as an example. Something else I haven't seen address is people coming back and listing what they ordered. Isn't that enough of a clue that a collection is live somewhere? It won't take a rocket scientist to check 5 or 6 sites and start snapping it up. I'm honestly not criticizing everyone who has graciously been looking for a solution, but imo it wasn't well thought out.

That's the problem IMO - there is no easy solution. The site owners want the traffic, we all want to share, and asking any group of people as large and diverse as this to self-censor is an almost impossible task.

The best thing I could come up with would be to have the existing colour collections section be for product discussion only (reviews, usage etc) and a separate members only section for launch discussions, with reasonable but not prohibitive restrictions on post counts. BUT I imagine most members would probably find it difficult to keep the two separate, so either the product thread would need strong active moderation, all the product discussion would end up migrating to the launch thread so excluding the newer members, or both. I would also think a moderator should have the ability to override the post count requirement for the member section, as there are inevitably going to be valuable members who do contribute and are clearly not leeching but don't qualify.

The approach being used now might not be what I'd have chosen, but I know that it's just an interim measure, and I applaud Richelle et al for at least doing something - doesn't have to be perfect to be better.
I agree with this format. Review and swatch chatter but no launch discussion. More Mods to keep it clean until people get the hang of it. 1000 post count AND 6 months to gain access or 1 year and 500 member to gain access. Maybe a fee too.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I have been out here almost seven years, longer than most and I don't have 1,000 post. Increasing the post count, okay, I have no problem with that but, I don't care for the pay to play idea. Lock the thread down if need be but charging just seems like a little much.
I agree. It seems a bit unfair to people who have been members for a while and have several hundreds or thousands of posts and share swatches, info and advice on a regular basis. Those members invested a lot of time here, and that's what the requirement should be about - it shouldn't be about paying money.

princessjest

I do think that a private release or alert thread would be great for you USA girls, Like a "MAC Spotted" kinda thread but would like to see it seperate from the chat about the up coming collections. I enjoy Specktra becuase It helps me see the collections launching in the next couple of months and helps me plan my make up budget and the growth of my collection. I'm in France so the whole release thing is of no interest to me but I am still reading all the colour collections threads daily. I vary rarely venture out of them.

With all respect to everyone what I do find a little uncomfortable is people trying to decided who does and who doesn't deserve access to the release info on what is a public forum. Specktra is avaliable to everyone, if you choose to keep your information private that's great and if It was as difficult over her I may have decided to do the same, but trying to put a secret code up on a very busy and public forum and then getting exasperated when people ask what you are posting about or when they are genuinely trying to help others get their hands on products by posting where they have seen a launch, really doesn't feel nice. If your putting out cryptic messages on a forum this busy you have to be crazy to think it wouldn't generate questions.

I just wish there was a neater solution, hopefully what Richelle hinted at will work for everyone and it'll happen soon :)

princessjest

That's the problem IMO - there is no easy solution. The site owners want the traffic, we all want to share, and asking any group of people as large and diverse as this to self-censor is an almost impossible task.

The best thing I could come up with would be to have the existing colour collections section be for product discussion only (reviews, usage etc) and a separate members only section for launch discussions, with reasonable but not prohibitive restrictions on post counts. BUT I imagine most members would probably find it difficult to keep the two separate, so either the product thread would need strong active moderation, all the product discussion would end up migrating to the launch thread so excluding the newer members, or both. I would also think a moderator should have the ability to override the post count requirement for the member section, as there are inevitably going to be valuable members who do contribute and are clearly not leeching but don't qualify.

The approach being used now might not be what I'd have chosen, but I know that it's just an interim measure, and I applaud Richelle et al for at least doing something - doesn't have to be perfect to be better.
iagree.gif

lovingmakeup

i've been here since....and my post count is....and...the payment idea seems to be ok , but .... oh dear.
sigh.gif

well....whatever makes life easier and more enjoyable for the specktra members...i am all for it.

Latest posts