MAC - Holiday 2010 A Tartan Tale Discussion

ktbeta

FYI the reason the brush sets aren't so great sometimes is that they're made by machines, whereas the full sizes brushes are made by hand. I wish MAC would do a brush set of handmade brushes!! The smaller handles can be so useful for touch-ups.

I've also compared some of the SE brushes to full size ones and they're noticeably different. I remember mentally scoffing at the mini 168 in the Fab Felines display because it's so different.

cmonster

i'm definitely looking forward to this collection. Although neutrals are my usual pick, I also like tame colours so this collection is perfect for me ^^. The packaging looks awesome too!

martiangurll

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylalovesmac
Exactly!
winkiss.gif

I really want the green one
drools.gif

I was just thinking I could buy the set, keep the bag and sell off the brushes!
thmbup.gif

laylalovesmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiangurll
thmbup.gif

Not a bad idea.
graucho.gif
lol.gif

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbeta
I've also compared some of the SE brushes to full size ones and they're noticeably different. I remember mentally scoffing at the mini 168 in the Fab Felines display because it's so different.

the FF brushes aren't SE tho. they're SH, which are completely different! SH brushes are the same quality as full-sized brushes. the only difference is the handle length.

ILoveMakeup84

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumV
Not only polishes. I think e/s are the best pick in their collection. They're so pigmented! They're MORE pigmented than MAC e/s, not joking!

KIKO Cosmetics MakeUp, Face Treatment, Cleansing, Accessories Buy in case. And I can provide swatches, if needed.

No brush set for me. Never again in my life. The first thing I tried by MAC was a brush set and I got so discouraged that I didn't try any other MAC product in a year. Then, unfortunately for my wallet, I recovered the time
tong.gif

However, still no colour story yet? I need to know about those pigments, since I've already ordered 3 or 4 from the PRO store in Milan. I don't want dupes!

Wow they have amazing stuff! But the problem is where to buy their stuff...

Soul Unique

Quote:
Exactly!
winkiss.gif

drools.gif

Haha meeee toooo!!! That's funny.

Quote:
thmbup.gif

Now that's an idea, at least everybody wins then ay?
thmbup.gif

PlatinumV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMakeup84
Wow they have amazing stuff! But the problem is where to buy their stuff...

well, they do sell products on their site
th_DANCE.gif

and as I said, if someone here needs a swatch, just ask!

ktbeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
the FF brushes aren't SE tho. they're SH, which are completely different! SH brushes are the same quality as full-sized brushes. the only difference is the handle length.

I'll take mine to the store and do comparison pics, I looked at the brushes at two different malls and they were very different from the regular 168. Bristles felt nice but the angle was deeper and the head was smaller.

shontay07108

I've heard a couple of people on Youtube say that the SE brushes are crap compared to the regular brushes. I just wanted these brushes because sometimes I need a spare for when I've been too lazy or have just forgotten to wash my main brushes. I guess I should skip it, though since all I really want are eye brushes and neither set is exclusively that. Money saved.

C'mon Mac, I need product names and descriptions here. I am ready to make a more definite list. I'm actually looking more forward to this than VV. This will definitely be a bigger haul for me.

cody

I've never had any issues with my brush sets... I have one from about six years ago and another from last year. The older one has held up wonderfully to frequent use over the years, and while the most recent isn't as good, it's still not bad by any means. My only suggestion would be to ask if you can take a peek inside the box before purchasing them (not sure if that's allowed...) just because they are machine-made and there's always a chance you'll get a defective one.

I think they're a great value for the price/handy for travel/etc. You're paying roughly $10/brush and you get a cute bag for them. If it's a brush you're going to be using every single day, something like the 217, it's probably worth investing in a full-size, but most of the brushes I buy in kits are ones that I'm interested in trying but don't use enough to warrant buying them all full-size. It gives me a chance to experiment more and try some new techniques using different brushes.

kayley123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Unique
Grrr - like Layla I too would buy the bag off anyone who doesn't want theirs [wishful thinking, perhaps?].

Quote:
Exactly!
winkiss.gif

drools.gif

Quote:
thmbup.gif

Quote:
Not a bad idea.
graucho.gif
lol.gif

iagree.gif
I would buy a bag from somebody, too.
yes.gif

cody

Like I said a while ago, MAC is missing out on a big chunk of potential profit by not selling the holiday bags as individual items. It seems like tons of us just want the bags, not the stuff in them!

cutemiauw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
I think they're a great value for the price/handy for travel/etc. You're paying roughly $10/brush and you get a cute bag for them. If it's a brush you're going to be using every single day, something like the 217, it's probably worth investing in a full-size, but most of the brushes I buy in kits are ones that I'm interested in trying but don't use enough to warrant buying them all full-size. It gives me a chance to experiment more and try some new techniques using different brushes.

I got one from Graphic Garden in 2009. Haven't had issues with them either. I don't have any of the full size to compare with the one I got there, but the brushes were still better in comparison to other non MAC brushes I had. Especially because of the shape of the brushes.
I agree, it's great for travels and trying. If there's a brush I love so much from the set and it's falling apart, then it's time to buy the full size one
smiles.gif
Sometimes I wish we could mix and match the sets ourselves. They always seemed to have something I don't really want/need...

PlatinumV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
It seems like tons of us just want the bags, not the stuff in them!

O_O I was thinking the same opposite! I like the content, but those bags with tartan texture are dreadful!
greengrin.gif
I suppose it is true that everyone has his/her own tastes!

LMD84

i would perhaps be interested in buying one of the brush bags off somebody who didn't want it. how big do we think they are??
smiles.gif

Hypathya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
i wont be getting a brush set from this collection anymore. as much as i love the holiday brushes one of mine broke yesterday. my foundation brush literally fell apart! it's not even my oldest or most used from a holiday set!
th_dunno.gif

Oh no!! That's too bad, Lou!!

I was looking forward to both sets this year as I don't have travel brushes and the SH from FF didn't arrive here.
ssad.gif
I need travel brushes but now I don't know
th_dunno.gif
. I really hate waste and disappointment.
angry.gif