MAC - Holiday 2010 A Tartan Tale Discussion

sleepyhead

oh, don't get me started on how poorly they traslate the collection names

for the record, you cannot really blame google translate on this one. the wording they used in chinese could mean "great Britain", "UK" or just "england". it's kinda strange cuz they could have just used Scottish instead of such a "fuzzy" word if they really want to emphasize the location and inspiration. i think adding the "royal" part made it worse (makes me think everything should be purple).

good thing you guys cannot read the description. the beginning of the intro says something like "it has a 'posh and charming' royal british style, just like the people in the tv show gossip girl (which is an american drama about rich kids in NYC). it also says the mineralize foundation will give you cashmere skin like transluscent/luminous and imperfection-free make up. umm, cashmere has skin?! so yah, google translate isn't very good, but some of it was never gramatically or logically correct to begin with

then again, i guess mac people in Taiwan don't really care about "political correctness" or correctness in general, cuz Venomous Villains collection is called "Disney Female Villains". they went out of the way to say "female" when 1 of the characters is clearly NOT female
thud.gif

spunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead

for the record, you cannot really blame google translate on this one. the wording they used in chinese could mean "great Britain", "UK" or just "england". it's kinda strange cuz they could have just used Scottish instead of such a "fuzzy" word if they really want to emphasize the location and inspiration. i think adding the "royal" part made it worse (makes me think everything should be purple).

good thing you guys cannot read the description. the beginning of the intro says something like "it has a 'posh and charming' royal british style, just like the people in the tv show gossip girl (which is an american drama about rich kids in NYC). it also says the mineralize foundation will give you cashmere skin like transluscent/luminous and imperfection-free make up. umm, cashmere has skin?! so yah, google translate isn't very good, but some of it was never gramatically or logically correct to begin with

then again, i guess mac people in Taiwan don't really care about "political correctness" or correctness in general, cuz Venomous Villains collection is called "Disney Female Villains". they went out of the way to say "female" when 1 of the characters is clearly NOT female
thud.gif

oh right, i thought it was google! didn't want to offend any chinese-speaking specktrettes by insulting their language
winkiss.gif

in fairness, even in english 'england' can traditionally mean the UK and even the british empire; if you read contemporary texts you'll find they refer to everything as england. i have a history degree, and being scottish it did my nut in! in the nineteenth century, scottish independance [and welsh for that matter, not forgetting our lovely welsh girlies!] was impossible so making distinctions between england/wales/scotland wasn't such a big deal. now, ireland... that's a whole other story but i'm not getting into that
nope.gif

anyway, back at the ranch... COME ON MAC!! what are you playing at? does this late info mean they're tweaking the collection to include rodarte products perhaps?
th_dunno.gif

peachsuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypathya
pompom.gif
I finally catched up with this whole thread!!!
pompom.gif

Yay!! I'm joining the fun!!

I'm loving the package so much!!
heart2.gif

iagree.gif
No new info yet?
greengrin.gif
Color story, product photo, swatch, or anything?
cutey.gif

shadowaddict

Anyone know free shipping code?

And still off topic I think it is wrong for MAC to charge $5.00 shipping for a giftcard when they run fs codes all the time and it's not like it cost much to send. Last year my sister was charged when she got me one and this year my son was charged.
thmbdn.gif
I emailed MAC last year and they did refund her credit card the shipping amount.

I'd say a good amount of the time a person buying a giftcard doesn't know so much about the site/products as the person that will receive it so I think it is unfair and may put them off for future giftcard purchases at MAC.

I guess I'll email them again. Most online places do not charge shipping for a giftcard as I believe they should not. Sorry for my rant.

laylalovesmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowaddict

And still off topic I think it is wrong for MAC to charge $5.00 shipping for a giftcard when they run fs codes all the time and it's not like it cost much to send. Last year my sister was charged when she got me one and this year my son was charged.
thmbdn.gif
I emailed MAC last year and they did refund her credit card the shipping amount.

I'd say a good amount of the time a person buying a giftcard doesn't know so much about the site/products as the person that will receive it so I think it is unfair and may put them off for future giftcard purchases at MAC.

I guess I'll email them again. Most online places do not charge shipping for a giftcard as I believe they should not. Sorry for my rant.

iagree.gif
I hate that they charge!!!
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
It's really unfair. I mean, you're talking about something that could fit in a standard envelope. WTF, MAC?
angry.gif

LMD84

Quote:

thmbdn.gif

jeez $5 for something so small and light? that is crazy! does it arrive in a big black box too to make it worth while?!
tong.gif

liba

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieee
Is My Highland Honey the same/ similar to Utterly Game? I'm still thinking about purchasing Utterly Game, but if it's the same I'll probably wait and get My Highland Honey later since I'm saving up some money now (although I really like MAC mineralized blush range). and which one do you ladies think is prettier? TIA
flower.gif

Utterly Game would be more wearable across different skin tones, since it's less orangey than our current pictures of My Highland Honey appear to be.

That said, if you had the right skin tone, I bet MHH would look way more high fashion. Check out this Spring/Summer look from N.Y Fashion Week (it's not MAC makeup, but I BET MHH can be like this):
Make Up For Ever @ The Vessel by Lois S/S 2011 Backstage

kayley123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead

thud.gif

th_roll1.gif
Poor Doctor Facilier...

candycane80

I must have the pigments, I don't even need to know the colors, pigments are the best. Downside is the packaging, hate it, looks boring and the palettes are a big booooo!

Shoegal-fr

Guys, i was wondering... Will the pigments sets be the same size as usual?

I mean, if they changed the full size because of ingredients being rare/more expensive... then they could have changed the vials size too? Or even increase the price of the sets.

Gosh, i hope not.

spunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoegal-fr
Guys, i was wondering... Will the pigments sets be the same size as usual?

I mean, if they changed the full size because of ingredients being rare/more expensive... then they could have changed the vials size too? Or even increase the price of the sets.

Gosh, i hope not.

i think the chances are the prices will go up, rather than a size decrease on something so small already. either way, it's a bit lame
ssad.gif

peachsuns

Quote:

thmbdn.gif

I guess they just want you to spend (even it's a gift card) more than $50.00 for free shipping. Sorry that your family was charged for the fee.
th_cheerup.gif

Yeah, $5.00 shipping for a gift card which comes in an envelope sounds much. They don't come in the black box, do they?
th_confused_new.gif

laylalovesmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachsuns
I guess they just want you to spend (even it's a gift card) more than $50.00 for free shipping. Sorry that your family was charged for the fee.
th_cheerup.gif

Yeah, $5.00 shipping for a gift card which comes in an envelope sounds much. They don't come in the black box, do they?
th_confused_new.gif

I think they do come in a black box, actually, though I can't be 100% sure since I've never gotten one- just sent one. But, I believe the recipient said they got a box. So weird. And it seems like a waste of packing material. But, once again, I can't say for sure that they use boxes.
th_dunno.gif

peachsuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylalovesmac
I think they do come in a black box, actually, though I can't be 100% sure since I've never gotten one- just sent one. But, I believe the recipient said they got a box. So weird. And it seems like a waste of packing material. But, once again, I can't say for sure that they use boxes.
th_dunno.gif

Now, the $5.00 shipping makes sense. (not good for the customers though)
yes.gif
I agree it's a wasting of the packing materials. I remember when MAC shipped my back order (just a lipglass) in the black box. I felt bad. My lipglass looked so lonely in the box.
lol.gif

laylalovesmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachsuns
Now, the $5.00 shipping makes sense. (not good for the customers though)
yes.gif
I agree it's a wasting of the packing materials. I remember when MAC shipped my back order (just a lipglass) in the black box. I felt bad. My lipglass looked so lonely in the box.
lol.gif

Yes- I hate it when I get boxes like that. Whenever I order one lipstick/one lipglass, I feel bad that it's only taking up a small portion and they have to add extra padding. When I got my B2M box, it had two lipsticks in it, but I could only find one- the other one had slid to the side and under one of the tissue paper layers. I almost threw it out because I almost forgot to check the packing slip
tong.gif
thmbdn.gif

LMD84

in the uk they send your back to mac stuff in a white envelope which is much better than wasting a big black box.

spunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
in the uk they send your back to mac stuff in a white envelope which is much better than wasting a big black box.

...when they get round to sending it huh?