Most cliche'd day at MAC ever?

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doll.face
This thread is so funny! I have never worked for any type of cosmetic company but.. what about the retarded MAs?!

I swear, I've come across SO many MAC MAs who should NOT be working at MAC. They honestly have no idea what they're talking about or are just plain rude and sloppy looking. There's a girl at my counter who just pounds on Carbon e/s and nothing else. I had a makeover done once and when I said that I don't like how eyeliner looks on my waterline, she did it anyway. When I told her I liked to put bronzer on my bare skin she told me that was weird and she had never heard of it. Now why would you say that to someone? I put it on LIGHTLY to give me (I was like fifteen at the time!) some light color. I mean come on. I bought my three items in the end but I barely said thank you to her. It made me so angry that she completely ignored my request for no eyeliner and the way she talked to me.

I've only come across a few friendly MAC MAs. I was asking for the Color Forms powders in Nordstroms once. I explained that I couldn't remember the exact name of the powders but they came from this collection (showed her the Color Forms display) and there was a pink one and a brown one. The girl had NO idea what I was talking about and kept taking me over to the mineralize blushes. FINALLY she asked someone else who told me they had sold out. I mean, come on!

Putting on bronzer/blush on bare skin has the tendency to not always blend properly...especially if you have just moisturized or have oily skin. I have tried on a blush or bronzer on people who refused a little powder first and then they wondered why it looked like a hot mess. I don't think that MA was putting you down-she just probably experienced the same thing.

The girl at Nordstrom seemed like she was trying to help, even if she showed you something else. She could have been a freelancer, new, or part time. If we are sold out of something, our job is to show you something similar. If we don't have an answer for you, or job is to find out for you, which she did.

I was gonna add to this, but I think it is just futile.

darkwater_soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by doll.face
This thread is so funny! I have never worked for any type of cosmetic company but.. what about the retarded MAs?!

I swear, I've come across SO many MAC MAs who should NOT be working at MAC. They honestly have no idea what they're talking about or are just plain rude and sloppy looking. There's a girl at my counter who just pounds on Carbon e/s and nothing else. I had a makeover done once and when I said that I don't like how eyeliner looks on my waterline, she did it anyway. When I told her I liked to put bronzer on my bare skin she told me that was weird and she had never heard of it. Now why would you say that to someone? I put it on LIGHTLY to give me (I was like fifteen at the time!) some light color. I mean come on. I bought my three items in the end but I barely said thank you to her. It made me so angry that she completely ignored my request for no eyeliner and the way she talked to me.

I've only come across a few friendly MAC MAs. I was asking for the Color Forms powders in Nordstroms once. I explained that I couldn't remember the exact name of the powders but they came from this collection (showed her the Color Forms display) and there was a pink one and a brown one. The girl had NO idea what I was talking about and kept taking me over to the mineralize blushes. FINALLY she asked someone else who told me they had sold out. I mean, come on!

You are in the wrong forum, honey. L2 read.

darkwater_soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbytes
Ugh, I just saw the most horrific display of abuse at a MAC counter. I was picking up a few brushes since I'm trying to upgrade (yay!) when this woman and her husband come in. She had an appointment for a makeover, and her husband spent the entire time yelling at her that she doesn't wear enough makeup.

He turned to me and asked, "Now, you wouldn't leave the house looking like her, now would you?" I was horrified. I tried to look busy and said that "Well, some women prefer a more natural look." He huffed, and then asked me what eyeshadow I was wearing (I know! WTF?!?). I didn't want to tell him, because it was Smoke and Diamonds and I know it isn't available anymore. The poor MA doing his wife's makeup was interrupted no fewer than 20 times while he butted in with "helpful suggestions" about eyeliner and pink shiny lips. Afterwards, he grabbed her arm and yanked her out of the chair. He told the MA that she obviously didn't know what she was doing, if his wife "still looked rough" (it's a matter of opinion, but I thought she looked fantastic. The MA brought out her blue eyes with a deep brown smoky look and gave her a soft peach lip) When it was time for the purchase, he kept muttering about "wasting his money" and how his wife should "know better when they're in public."

The entire cosmetic department was observing this horror show, that's how loud and obnoxious this loser was.

OMG! Poor woman... I hope she leaves his ass!

sedated_xtc

Quote:
Ugh, I just saw the most horrific display of abuse at a MAC counter. I was picking up a few brushes since I'm trying to upgrade (yay!) when this woman and her husband come in. She had an appointment for a makeover, and her husband spent the entire time yelling at her that she doesn't wear enough makeup.

He turned to me and asked, "Now, you wouldn't leave the house looking like her, now would you?" I was horrified. I tried to look busy and said that "Well, some women prefer a more natural look." He huffed, and then asked me what eyeshadow I was wearing (I know! WTF?!?). I didn't want to tell him, because it was Smoke and Diamonds and I know it isn't available anymore. The poor MA doing his wife's makeup was interrupted no fewer than 20 times while he butted in with "helpful suggestions" about eyeliner and pink shiny lips. Afterwards, he grabbed her arm and yanked her out of the chair. He told the MA that she obviously didn't know what she was doing, if his wife "still looked rough" (it's a matter of opinion, but I thought she looked fantastic. The MA brought out her blue eyes with a deep brown smoky look and gave her a soft peach lip) When it was time for the purchase, he kept muttering about "wasting his money" and how his wife should "know better when they're in public."

The entire cosmetic department was observing this horror show, that's how loud and obnoxious this loser was.

Wow, that's just scary...I feel so bad for the woman!!! He was complaining that she doesn't wear ENOUGH makeup?????? I'd be so scared for that woman...if he's not physically abusive, he surely sounds like he's verbally abusive enough...
th_mad0217.gif

Anne

I'm not a MA or anything but, I really enjoyed reading this. It let me know that MA most likey get asked the same questions over and over again and that there are more productive ways to go about asking questions.

ticki

i don't work in the industry, but i totally feel for you guys! this thread was so funny to read in a train wreck kind of way.

sharkbytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedated_xtc
Wow, that's just scary...I feel so bad for the woman!!! He was complaining that she doesn't wear ENOUGH makeup?????? I'd be so scared for that woman...if he's not physically abusive, he surely sounds like he's verbally abusive enough...
th_mad0217.gif

I agree completely...he seemed controlling and violent, and he had no business being there in the first place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
Yeah, I constantly have customers saying, "Remember, I'm black"...Really? Are you sure? I thought you were green!

HAHA!! That makes me laugh. It's like, yes I can see what colour you are. I promise I won't make you look like a white girl lol. I'm happy my job doesn't involve customer service really lol.

CosmePro

SERIOUSLY LADY. I know that everyone thinks make-up girls shit lipsticks and sneeze glitter, but I just can't physically pull a lipstick from my tuccus![/quote]

OMG!! This had me seriously rolling on the floor and snorting so loud my s/o started laughing with me and didn't know why!!!!! I sooooo needed that, *breathe* ahhh...my sides hurt
th_LMAO.gif
clap.gif

JessicaSarahS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
Sadly, I've actually heard a MAC MA tell a customer to get a darker foundation than what she needed so she wouldn't need a bronzer.

I've had a MAC MA tell me the same thing. She suggested NC45 for me and I'm not dark at all and I have warm undertones. It looked like a huge dark brown blotch on a beige background. She sampled it on my hand and I said "no way". So, I put it all over my face and she looked at me and said "yeeeeeaaah, let's go a few shades lighter and warmer shall we? It was pretty amusing, especially how much she was trying to pressure me into buying the darker cooler shade when I'm a lighter/warmer tone. Unfortunately, I didn't make a foundation/stuido fix purchase. But I did get eyeshadow.

sedated_xtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmePro
SERIOUSLY LADY. I know that everyone thinks make-up girls shit lipsticks and sneeze glitter, but I just can't physically pull a lipstick from my tuccus!

OMG!! This had me seriously rolling on the floor and snorting so loud my s/o started laughing with me and didn't know why!!!!! I sooooo needed that, *breathe* ahhh...my sides hurt
th_LMAO.gif
clap.gif
[/quote]

HAHAHA!!!!!!!!! I just had the weirdest mental image from that...and for some strange reason, I didn't mind that.
th_roll1.gif

BestRx

This thread is hilarious! And I feel for all you MA's. I just had my face done at a MAC counter in Bloomie's on Sunday. My artist was so adorable and friendly and did a great job, I ended up spending $140 instead of the required $50 because I loved just about everything she did. She even asked me where I was going that night to tailor the look (the answer was nowhere special) and then she told my BF that he had to take me somewhere after she was done.
smiles.gif

But while I was sitting in the chair another woman who walked in (no appointment) and all she kept repeating to her MA was "I want my skin to look like skin." She said it at least three times. And I kept thinking: "Really? Skin? What a novel idea. I bet she would have never thought of that on her own."

xStarryEyedX

^ haahaha, what a strange concept!!

I don't have any fun stories =(... But I did manage to find a way to be totally polite to "the friend" the other day. The lady was clearly the equivilent of a MAC NW15 and her friend was like can you do me a favor, use NW 45, it'll look better she'll like it.. I was like "no, we actually try to match our customers foundations to their skin tones. but if you'd like to try that at home you're more than welcome, i'll throw a sample of it in her bag when we're done" *big smile*... Sales have been super tough lately, so I was proud to find a way to A: ensure that i was expecting them to buy something and B: make it entirely clear who was in charge of the makeover. The lady liked the lighter shade by the way, please keep your tanorexia to yourself =).

sharkbytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStarryEyedX
please keep your tanorexia to yourself =).

LOL, I almost want to tattoo that on myself.
th_DANCE.gif

allthatgl1tt3rs

I know what you mean!! I'm always so surprised how many girls out there are orange because they insist on looking "bronzed" so they go for a shade that doesn't even remotely match their skin tone. Argh! It looks awful!
icon_eek.gif

It's so important to match foundation to the skin tone or it's just a makeup nightmare no matter what is added after that! If girls want to look sunkissed, they need to buy a bronzing powder to dust over the areas that naturally get sunkissed (forehead, cheekbones, chin and nose) or get a gradual tanning lotion/professional tanning at a salon!

And I cannot believe what sharkbytes said about that horrible man! How dare he say that kinda stuff?! That's so damaging to self esteem!!! The poor woman, I hope she's free of him now!
ssad.gif

x

BEA2LS

Quote:

that story makes me sad.