Most cliche'd day at MAC ever?

athena123

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
And again...

If you don't like, here's a wipe and a mirror and maybe you'll have more luck another day. If you do like it and confirmed your purchase, your products will be pulled and you then have an option of either a.) having the other eye completed to even you out or b.) you can chose to have the make-up removed.

I'm not sure what's making it hard for people to comprehend that either way you're not going to be made to walk out of the store with one smoky eye only unless you choose to walk out that way.

Wow, my original point was completely misunderstood. The dismay I expressed by the one eye / half face policy was on behalf of the poster whose makeup artist didn't make it clear that that's all she was going to get. And she was ready to spend $$, so it's not like she was wasting anyone's time. Since I as the customer my not KNOW about the one-eye half face demo, this should be communicated if that's all you have time for. Just sayin.....

glamdoll

At my counter I've had to do both eyes, even when I knew they weren't gonna buy anything. When somene asks me for a makeover, I tell them 3 item purchase mininum.

I understand what you are saying Athena123, but you also have to understand that we do this as a living. Some of us are on comission, now we have an option do both eyes waste time, and end up w/ no sale, or do a focused demo ask them if they want something and move on.

Trust me, I've done full faces and NO sale. That time that I did that persons makeup could have been spent making sales. We do have goals and all.

After doing this on the daily trust me, it gets repetitive old and annoying
ssad.gif

mochajavalatte

OMG!! I just read this ENTIRE post! I'm supposed to be getting ready for my application certification, not reading HILARIOUS but typical days at MAC!! Darn you girlies!! LOL Ok I'll put my 2 cents in then I gotta bounce and FABCE the heck out of some products...
My personal favorites are the people who come in and ask for a cotton swab...um okay. then they proceed to dip it all up in the shadows and actually APPLY said shadows on their lids...I'll just let you ponder that a moment...wait for it....wait for it...RIGHT!!! GRoSS!!! just because the qtip you're using WAS clean does NOT mean those shadows haven't been handled by everybody and their mama. GROSS. I have a TG customer who comes in occasionally~she wants SFF all over her neck to cover hickeys. EWWWW. The hardest ones for me are foundation matches for a particular population and the SECOND I pull a foundation they tell me "it's too dark"...Um yeah, here's the thing: YOU ARE DARK. Your skin is beautiful...why do you want to be something you're CLEARLY not?? I could put you in NW15 and honey, no one will ever believe you're not (insert ethnicity here). I'm brown and proud...makes me sad when these women can't appreciate something that makes them so uniquely them....I didn't see too many of you MAs touch on the overbearing boyfriends...you know, the ones who stand RIGHT behind you and say yay or nay to whatever you're doing...and the woman they are with ACTUALLY makes her purchase decisions based on what they say...WTF?? Seriously??? I'm so sorry but how bout you go play with your video games or skateboard or whatevertheeff it is you're passionate about and leave the color choices to the big girls.
ok I'm done
smiles.gif
time to STUDY!! Wish me luck
smiles.gif

KikiB

Well I don't work for MAC but I do work retail (Bath and Body Works) so I definitely see a lot of crazy customers. We get people who steal the testers of our EDT's and lipglosses, we get this crazy bag lady who always comes in, expects us to give her a bag, and then uses a good portion of a bottle of Warm Vanilla Sugar body splash-a tester, no less. We get people who come in with returns for The Body Shop. We get people with their Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupons. We get people who ask about the following things:

shower curtains/shower curtain rings
bath mats
soap caddies
French milled soap sets
bathroom scales
doorknobs
towels
Jacuzzi tubs (it was maybe my second week working at the store and I got a call asking if we sold them...)
prescription dental ointment
"Motion Lotion"/edible product/lubricant
dishes
potpourri/sachets

And the crown jewel...

TOILETS. One of my old sales leaders worked at a store in a different state and due to where they were listed in the phone book...they had people calling and asking about toilets.

Anywho, back to what I was saying: We get people who get pissed off and curse at us for discontinuing a scent in our hand soap that didn't sell well. We get people who ask us why they discontinue products and I've been with the company long enough to be able to give them a decent answer but there was this mom and her daughter who were looking for this way old fragrance and when I told them that it was discontinued, they were both like "Why?" in an extremely snooty tone.

And finally...

I am not a mall directory. Please do not come into my store to ask where Lane Bryant, Journey's, the food court, Aeropostale, Claire's, et. al. are. Even worst was I had somebody ask me where Victoria's Secret was and I just pointed to the store across the way from us! If you're shopping in our store...well you'll know where VS is.

End of ranting...ah the joys of retail.

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochajavalatte
OMG!! I just read this ENTIRE post! I'm supposed to be getting ready for my application certification, not reading HILARIOUS but typical days at MAC!! Darn you girlies!! LOL Ok I'll put my 2 cents in then I gotta bounce and FABCE the heck out of some products...
My personal favorites are the people who come in and ask for a cotton swab...um okay. then they proceed to dip it all up in the shadows and actually APPLY said shadows on their lids...I'll just let you ponder that a moment...wait for it....wait for it...RIGHT!!! GRoSS!!! just because the qtip you're using WAS clean does NOT mean those shadows haven't been handled by everybody and their mama. GROSS. I have a TG customer who comes in occasionally~she wants SFF all over her neck to cover hickeys. EWWWW. The hardest ones for me are foundation matches for a particular population and the SECOND I pull a foundation they tell me "it's too dark"...Um yeah, here's the thing: YOU ARE DARK. Your skin is beautiful...why do you want to be something you're CLEARLY not?? I could put you in NW15 and honey, no one will ever believe you're not (insert ethnicity here). I'm brown and proud...makes me sad when these women can't appreciate something that makes them so uniquely them....I didn't see too many of you MAs touch on the overbearing boyfriends...you know, the ones who stand RIGHT behind you and say yay or nay to whatever you're doing...and the woman they are with ACTUALLY makes her purchase decisions based on what they say...WTF?? Seriously??? I'm so sorry but how bout you go play with your video games or skateboard or whatevertheeff it is you're passionate about and leave the color choices to the big girls.
ok I'm done
smiles.gif
time to STUDY!! Wish me luck
smiles.gif

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyla2120
What is up with not wanting to be your color people? Lighter skinned ladies stop asking me for a darker foundation because you want to look "tan" that is what bronzer is for! And darker skinned ladies stop looking at me in shock & yelling "I'm not that dark!" when I pull out your shade of foundation. YES, you ARE that dark & what exactly is wrong with that? And tanoholics please stop coming in with your skin peeling all over the place & asking me for a foundation to cover up all the red splotches & discoloration. Foundation is just going to make the flakes look more obvious. Instead go home, put some aloe on your face, stop tanning (you will thank me in 15 years) & come back & see me when your face is back to normal.

choochoo.gif
Preach! I love it when they say, "Yuck! I am sooo pale!" Meanwhile me and my coworkers just stand there with our pasty asses smiling. How does that foot taste?

I always get the girl who is fresh out of the tanning bed and is bright red.

Simply Elegant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyla2120
What is up with not wanting to be your color people? Lighter skinned ladies stop asking me for a darker foundation because you want to look "tan" that is what bronzer is for! And darker skinned ladies stop looking at me in shock & yelling "I'm not that dark!" when I pull out your shade of foundation. YES, you ARE that dark & what exactly is wrong with that? And tanoholics please stop coming in with your skin peeling all over the place & asking me for a foundation to cover up all the red splotches & discoloration. Foundation is just going to make the flakes look more obvious. Instead go home, put some aloe on your face, stop tanning (you will thank me in 15 years) & come back & see me when your face is back to normal.

Sadly, I've actually heard a MAC MA tell a customer to get a darker foundation than what she needed so she wouldn't need a bronzer.

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
choochoo.gif
Preach! I love it when they say, "Yuck! I am sooo pale!" Meanwhile me and my coworkers just stand there with our pasty asses smiling. How does that foot taste?

I always get the girl who is fresh out of the tanning bed and is bright red.

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
Sadly, I've actually heard a MAC MA tell a customer to get a darker foundation than what she needed so she wouldn't need a bronzer.

lara

Attention, attention: if you buy fake or expired products from ebay, it's not my responsibility to a.) exchange it for a new, authentic product from my store or b.) refund you.

You bought fake skincare/make-up/fragrance from someone/somewhere else, then seriously, tough shit. In no way is that my responsibility, this stores responsibility or this company's responsibility. Deal with it.

brownsuga lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by II3rinII
- the girls that come up to the counter and point at the shadows " i got that one, i got that one, i got that one..." ok thanks for the inventory would you like to add to it or what?

This one killed me softly.
th_LMAO.gif

brownsuga lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
and then people wonder why i only test foundation on one side of the face???? you get stuck doing 20 eye demos where someone only buys the lashes and all the people trying to sneak a full face in with the 'can i try this,can you show me that' when the counter is booked solid. AND now you haven't made your goal, you are super tired and the counter is all jacked up and you are supposed to already be closed.

Wow. Some folks really try to get over. I just can't imagine. EVERY time I go to a MAC counter or my pro store i'm in there with a list of stuff. The MA is just running grabbing all my stuff. And then when I don't go with a list I still find 50-11 things to get. I think that's why they love to see me coming. I had my MA match me for my studio fix fluid a while back and I brought that and like 6 other things that day. I'm such a joy.
th_LMAO.gif
If you show me something great (like an eye-look) I'm going to buy everything I need for that look because well...I'm crazy. That's why most of the time when i'm on a budget I don't want the MA to try anything on me. I don't want to like anything else that day. lol.

brownsuga lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDoll88
I worked at a counter for about a year (wasn't MAC though). It was a really slow Sunday afternoon and this woman wearing plaid PJ pants and a big hoodie and sunglasses came in (she looked kind of ragged, but nothing major). She asked for a certain lipstick and I got it for her..no problems. When it got time to pay..

Customer: "I left my Macy's card at my house in Greenwich. Can you look it up for me?"
*For those of you who don't know, Greenwich is a really wealthy town in Connecticut.

So I took her ID and tried to look it up, but no accounts were found under her name and SS#. But she was INSISTING that she had an account here, and started telling me I should believe her because she "graduated from Harvard" and she "didn't wanna just hop in her Hummer and leave without her lipstick".

I get my manager to help her because there was really nothing more I could do, but this woman is clearly out of her mind and keeps name-dropping expensive things. Like "MAYBE I LEFT IN MY PRADA BAG...OR MAYBE MY GUCCI??", "MAYBE MY MAID STOLE IT OUT OF MY LOUIS VUITTON JEANS"

In the end it turned out she didn't have an account and she paid for it with a check.
th_LMAO.gif

I'm surprised ya'll took her check. She seemed not to have a pot to piss in.
th_LMAO.gif

nleslie

- the girls that come up to the counter and point at the shadows " i got that one, i got that one, i got that one..." ok thanks for the inventory would you like to add to it or what?

-

I do that sometimes when a MA is chatting to me near the shadows suggesting colors. It's crazy or something because every one they pick out, I have, and I don't even have that many: like, 10 or something, haha!
It's like, I'm not being a lying weirdo, I really do have all of those. XD

I heart this thread! I'm not a worker or even an MA but I totally get where you're coming from. Surprisingly it makes me want to work for MAC even more, :p

doll.face

This thread is so funny! I have never worked for any type of cosmetic company but.. what about the retarded MAs?!

I swear, I've come across SO many MAC MAs who should NOT be working at MAC. They honestly have no idea what they're talking about or are just plain rude and sloppy looking. There's a girl at my counter who just pounds on Carbon e/s and nothing else. I had a makeover done once and when I said that I don't like how eyeliner looks on my waterline, she did it anyway. When I told her I liked to put bronzer on my bare skin she told me that was weird and she had never heard of it. Now why would you say that to someone? I put it on LIGHTLY to give me (I was like fifteen at the time!) some light color. I mean come on. I bought my three items in the end but I barely said thank you to her. It made me so angry that she completely ignored my request for no eyeliner and the way she talked to me.

I've only come across a few friendly MAC MAs. I was asking for the Color Forms powders in Nordstroms once. I explained that I couldn't remember the exact name of the powders but they came from this collection (showed her the Color Forms display) and there was a pink one and a brown one. The girl had NO idea what I was talking about and kept taking me over to the mineralize blushes. FINALLY she asked someone else who told me they had sold out. I mean, come on!

sedated_xtc

damn, that sucks.

Don't the people that work at MAC have to be licenced and registered and what not? For her to demean your comment about bronzers (which imo, is not weird) and to ignore your request was unprofessional.

You should've complained and ask for a redo or at least a partial refund!!! =(

Simply Elegant

Quote:
Originally Posted by doll.face
This thread is so funny! I have never worked for any type of cosmetic company but.. what about the retarded MAs?!

I swear, I've come across SO many MAC MAs who should NOT be working at MAC. They honestly have no idea what they're talking about or are just plain rude and sloppy looking. There's a girl at my counter who just pounds on Carbon e/s and nothing else. I had a makeover done once and when I said that I don't like how eyeliner looks on my waterline, she did it anyway. When I told her I liked to put bronzer on my bare skin she told me that was weird and she had never heard of it. Now why would you say that to someone? I put it on LIGHTLY to give me (I was like fifteen at the time!) some light color. I mean come on. I bought my three items in the end but I barely said thank you to her. It made me so angry that she completely ignored my request for no eyeliner and the way she talked to me.

I've only come across a few friendly MAC MAs. I was asking for the Color Forms powders in Nordstroms once. I explained that I couldn't remember the exact name of the powders but they came from this collection (showed her the Color Forms display) and there was a pink one and a brown one. The girl had NO idea what I was talking about and kept taking me over to the mineralize blushes. FINALLY she asked someone else who told me they had sold out. I mean, come on!

There's an existing thread for rants about MAs. This thread is sort of like their place to let off steam.

sharkbytes

Ugh, I just saw the most horrific display of abuse at a MAC counter. I was picking up a few brushes since I'm trying to upgrade (yay!) when this woman and her husband come in. She had an appointment for a makeover, and her husband spent the entire time yelling at her that she doesn't wear enough makeup.

He turned to me and asked, "Now, you wouldn't leave the house looking like her, now would you?" I was horrified. I tried to look busy and said that "Well, some women prefer a more natural look." He huffed, and then asked me what eyeshadow I was wearing (I know! WTF?!?). I didn't want to tell him, because it was Smoke and Diamonds and I know it isn't available anymore. The poor MA doing his wife's makeup was interrupted no fewer than 20 times while he butted in with "helpful suggestions" about eyeliner and pink shiny lips. Afterwards, he grabbed her arm and yanked her out of the chair. He told the MA that she obviously didn't know what she was doing, if his wife "still looked rough" (it's a matter of opinion, but I thought she looked fantastic. The MA brought out her blue eyes with a deep brown smoky look and gave her a soft peach lip) When it was time for the purchase, he kept muttering about "wasting his money" and how his wife should "know better when they're in public."

The entire cosmetic department was observing this horror show, that's how loud and obnoxious this loser was.