Please be VERY VERY Careful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
You'd be taking away the role model of millions of young men in America though.

Maybe that is a good thing.
greengrin.gif
It's not like he's the best role model anyway- teaching violence against his fellow man, violance and disrespect towards women, teaching its ok to disobey the law, among other things.

I say lets go for it.

greengrin.gif

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
didn't they do a spoof of that on the simpsons? (go ahead and laugh)
greengrin.gif
but they were talking about numbers and science and how it made you feel etc and then the boys were just all macho and what not.

Yeah, the girl classes were watered down to the point that they didn't learn jack. Lisa had to go in drag to the boys' classes so she could learn.

I'm a deeply biased fan, but people do not give the Simpsons enough credit. They make some great topical points at times.

Hawkeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Yeah, the girl classes were watered down to the point that they didn't learn jack. Lisa had to go in drag to the boys' classes so she could learn.

I'm a deeply biased fan, but people do not give the Simpsons enough credit. They make some great topical points at times.

They really do. It's a brilliant show.
greengrin.gif

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark

So does South Park.
I don't necessarily care for the method of delivery sometimes, but I do enjoy watching the mainstream crowd struggle under the scrutiny.
smiles.gif

Hawkeye

you know I would even venture to say that so does Family Guy.

I used to love South Park but i couldn't get past it. After a while I got tired of the *BLEEEP*

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
So does South Park.
I don't necessarily care for the method of delivery sometimes, but I do enjoy watching the mainstream crowd struggle under the scrutiny.
smiles.gif

Sometimes they go over the top, but I still love it. I love social commentaries that are humorous, especially if they're animated.

My grandmother thinks I just sit around, watching cartoons that have no point.

Hawkeye

It's hard for the older generation I think because they had to work so hard and now if you think about it our generation has it easy. SUPER easy.

Who knew that technology would go BOOM.
greengrin.gif

Another good one is King of the Hill. They are starting to join in.

Trunkmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
I doubt Shimmer is upset or bothered by anything anyone has ever posted about her. I know I'm not.

Honestly? I doubt she is BUT regardless when you or anybody else myself included steps outside the TOS of a site you're not only defying the mod of the forum but the site admin. If you were on one of my sites, and again nothing personal, I'd have banned your ip a long tim ago.

Quote:
Shimmer's not a grizzly. And regardless of our differing opinions on many things, I have mucho respect for her. I give her a hard time because she can take it. And while I have objected to her choice of modding in the past, it's typically on instances where she's equally guilty of doing the same. Monkey see Monkey do.

Actually the grizzly reference was in general again NOT bringing Shimmer into play. She's spanked my hand before as has Hawkeye. I was making a reference to the fact that I've SEEN you deliberately spark a debate or go over the TOS then act all shocked that you got called on it.

Quote:
Yeh but it's fun to discuss it. Even though we may not ever agree, you can learn a lot about a topic in the process.

You can learn a lot from an adult DISCUSSION and even an adult ARGUMENT. When the personal accusations start flying the only thing I learn is that one or both of the parties are idiots.

geeko

cool it down babes....

maybe i shouldn't have said something on the lines that my country banned guns and had the death sentence for anyone who fires a live shot.

I'm sorry for sparking all this debate about guns and all...

Hawkeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupnewbie
cool it down babes....

maybe i shouldn't have said something on the lines that my country banned guns and had the death sentence for anyone who fires a live shot.

I'm sorry for sparking all this debate about guns and all...

why? It was needed. Even though it becomes a heated debate/argument it also does allow for people express their opinions. And without it it would be very mundane. You have the right of free speech on the internet- by God use it!
greengrin.gif

But these heated debates- trust me sweetie- this is NOTHING compared to some of the other debates we have had.
smiles.gif
I promise. So don't be sorry for sparking a dang thing.
smiles.gif

Raerae

While your post probably deserves to be a PM, if you insist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkmonkey
I've SEEN you deliberately spark a debate or go over the TOS then act all shocked that you got called on it.

Thats personal disagreements over what constitutes a TOS violation. Written language is subject to interpretation, and if i've been misinterpreted I'm going to object to it. As the author I think I have the option of clarifying how my words were meant to be said.

When someone is a mod, and decides to take part in often intensely emotional discussions, they are going to set the bar on whats seen as ok. There have been plenty of off color remarks by plenty of people on these forums, mods included. However, the only time they are seen as a "problem" is when they dont support the opinion a mod has.

As long as you agree with the mod, it's OK to push the line on the TOS, and might even get a "thanks" for it. But if your opinion is different, watch out, because your post is going to be under a microscope. Thats why you dont get very many people posting conflicting opinions, because they dont want to get on the "bad side" of a mod. So rather than posting what they really think, they dont post at all. Or just keep those opinions to PM's, where they can say what they really believe w/out being modded.

Sorry if I dont, "play nice" all the time. But I believe in airing my opinion on a topic, regardless of if it's the popular one or not. You dont learn anything from having only supporting opinions on a topic, all you do is confirm your current beliefs. And regardless of what you think about me, I dont always disagree. However typically posting in those threads is pointless, because a "thanks" already covers my opinion on that subject 100%.

Shimmer

Actually, you're incorrect. There have been times that people with supporting opinions of a moderator or administrator have still had their comment edited, as it fell outside the lines of the TOS.

You want, nay, demand, certain liberties within this site. You demand that you be allowed to say or do what you want to do, and anytime your commentary is moderated, you immediately start flinging accusations of favoritism.
And, you want that freedom and those liberties to only apply to you. You don't want anyone else exercising those same liberties you demand to indulge.

There's no "grey area". Either something is, or it isn't, within the grounds of the Terms of Service on the site. Regardless of whether you're posting a popular opinion or not, the rule are still applicable to you, but when they're enforced, you start sreaming 'prejudice' and 'freeforall' and 'oppression' and 'censorship'.

Censorship doesn't exist on a privately owned website. The site's owners/administrators get to decide what content stays and what content goes.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Actually, you're incorrect. There have been times that people with supporting opinions of a moderator or administrator have still had their comment edited, as it fell outside the lines of the TOS.

No statement is 100% correct, 100% of the time.

I'd expect a blatent violation to get modded, regardless of opinion. It's the, "on the line" comments that I was refering too.

Shimmer

Unfortunately for you, your opinion of what is or is not over the line, or on the line, isn't ultimately the deciding opinion. You're not the one tasked with moderating the forums and interpreting the site's rules.
The site doesn't take on moderators based on member vote, the site determines who will best represent the interests of the site, and in doing so, chooses people based on certain criteria.

Trunkmonkey

RaeRae

Yes but you're not on the staff so you don't get to decide the interpretation of the TOS do you? I stand by my previous statements. If you acted on any of my boards as I've seen you act here you'd be history. And again this isn't personal. I could give two shits about what you do on here but I'm pointing it out that you act in a certain manner sometimes then recoil at the reaction.

Being a mod or an admin sometimes comes with a do as I say not as I do mentality. Everyone can slip up that doesn't 'set the bar'. I back my mods 100% but I do let them know behind the scenes that they screwed up and I don't want recurrence of it. I've fired more than one and will probably have to fire more in the future.'

I have a question for you and I'm being totally serious. Have you ever modded a very active site? It's like being a target all of the time. No matter what you do or do not do half of the people in the forum will be angry with or take issue with your actions / decisions.

Anyway... As I stated earlier you can't change my mind and it's obvious that I can't change yours I just thought that a little outside observation MIGHT be in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.