Please be VERY VERY Careful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Do schools seriously redistribute stuff you bought your kids? What happened when I was in school was that everyone was free to bring whatever they like, but the school would also supply stuff like a few pencils, erasers, and some crayons. It wasn't glamorous stuff compared to other people's but it sufficed.

Yeh, dunno what schools you went to heh...

I remember having all sorts of cute school supplies that were mine, and mine alone.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
Yeh, dunno what schools you went to heh...

I remember having all sorts of cute school supplies that were mine, and mine alone.

Lots of schools do it, and it's frustrating, but yeah, I had my little lisa frank trapper keeper and my brightly colored pencils and my stuff, and I didn't have to share.

They were going to make the students in my daughter's kindergarten class share, but the head teacher got like 8 nastygrams from parents who refused to purchase supplies for classroom use, so the idea got nixed. It's become more prevalant in the past 6 or so years.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
That's the dumbest thing I ever heard of. If they wanted everyone to have the same thing, the school should just supply it. Do your kids go to school in uniforms, too?

I'm curious if this is something that happens everywhere or is just something that happens in the south. I seriously have never heard of this happening, but my youngest cousin is 13 now. I'm going to ask some friends who are familiar with schools in the north about it.

This is commonplace now. My daughters' school does the same thing. And its a private school that I pay a "supply" fee to. So on top of the supply fee, all extra supplies brought in are community property.

Beauty Mark

The thing I don't understand about this trend is why they're doing it if they don't bother with uniforms. I think kids in general are more conscious of clothing brands than they are with supplies.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Do your research. DFW and its suburbs are hardly "hickville".

lol... i hear everyone has bull horns mounted on the front of their cars there too.

Quote:
I said IN TEXAS or did you miss that part?

I was explaining how California's district where my Mom works. I was clearly not describing Texas.

Quote:
Lets see, Stephanie just started, Jo's been teaching for several years and makes closer to 60K for what works out to just short of 9 mos a year of work. Craig's not suffering, neither is Nancy, Joe, Judy, Tricia, Kurt...
Yeah. They all started at the bottom and were making meh wages and within 5 years were making comfortable wages. And THAT is in hickville. A teacher in Dallas starts out at 50K no questions asked.

Our concepts of income are very different Shimmer. 50-60k isn't much eigther.

Quote:
Your laziness isn't my problem.

It's a well known fact that people who attack other people's grammar/spelling only do so because they lack a real argument.

Quote:
I didn't "party". I've never been, except while in the military, a "party" person.

Glad our tax dollars go to paying for your martini's.

Quote:
Sweetie, you're not now, nor will you ever be, woman enough to "give me" any kind of medicine. I assure you of that.
Your insults are amusing, granted, but fall desperately short of hitting their mark.

Thats only because of Specktra's play nice policies chica. Besides I'm not trying to really insult you, i'd hate to have you stop posting like most of the other girls you've given a hard time.

Quote:
Remember, you may grab the tiger by the tail, but the other end has teeth and claws. I'll never meet you in the real world, however, eventually, you'll find someone in your day to day life similar enough to me, and they'll hand you your ass. I wish I could be there to see it, because it would be a humorous decimation of an overstated and highly self inflated ego, but that would mean actually knowing and being around you, and I don't hang with people too vapid and unmotivated to form their own conclusions about life without having actually experienced any of it.

I'm to thin to get my ass handed to me, you'd have to have an ass first. And violence as an answer only shows lack of any real intelligence. So sorry hun, that day will never happen.

Quote:
Now, if you can make a point that's rationally thought out and isn't the most repetition of whatever pundit happened to be on the radio this morning, by all means do so. Raise a valid point, and gladly, it would be considered.
Talk for the sole purpose of seeing letters beside your name and seeing your post count go up?
Nah.

Please, your as guilty as anyone of the above.

Raerae

Quote:
Lots of schools do it, and it's frustrating, but yeah, I had my little lisa frank trapper keeper and my brightly colored pencils and my stuff, and I didn't have to share.

They were going to make the students in my daughter's kindergarten class share, but the head teacher got like 8 nastygrams from parents who refused to purchase supplies for classroom use, so the idea got nixed. It's become more prevalant in the past 6 or so years.

Perhaps if we spent some of the budget on Iraq, on pencils and paper instead, people woulnd't have to share? Novel idea I know, increasing school budgets.

Shimmer

Quote:
novella without any content other than to be wholly inflammatory.

k.
See here's the problem, you post, and you prattle, and you instigate, but you have nothing to substantiate what you're saying. Logic, reasoning, and intelligent thought. Give it a try sometime, instead of hanging around on the internet using its anonymity to protect you when you want to say things only to inflame the people who share the boards with you.

I don't expect to agree with you even half the time, and agreement isn't necessary in order to continue in threads like these, but the ability to create and hang with a thread while maintaining original thought process and eloquence of point is integral.

You make several good points, I don't deny that, but your point(s) are lost because of your inability to effectively debate.

Shimmer

Quote:
Perhaps if we spent some of the budget on Iraq, on pencils and paper instead, people woulnd't have to share? Novel idea I know, increasing school budgets.

Perhaps the money that's being spent on Iraq wouldn't be used on schools anyway.
Like I said previously, previous presidents and houses of Congress who didn't have an ongoing war to pay for were unwilling to spend the money necessary on increasing school budgets. Blaming the war in Iraq for something that's been ignored whether the war was going on or not is really just that, pointing fingers and laying blame.

Raerae

Quote:
The thing I don't understand about this trend is why they're doing it if they don't bother with uniforms. I think kids in general are more conscious of clothing brands than they are with supplies.

One of the local schools in Long Beach actually does uniforms. I see all the kids waiting for the bus every morning in khaki pants, and white polo shirts. And white sneakers.

Hawkeye

Quote:

Many schools are actually pushing for uniforms as well. I know a local school - a public school does have a uniform. A local county does as well.

Because they don't want little johnny to be upset that he doesn't have the expensive brand shirts.

And we are allowing it because of the whole sensitivity sh*t (yes, I said the word) and the P.C. B.S. that is so rampant.

Raerae

Quote:
Perhaps the money that's being spent on Iraq wouldn't be used on schools anyway.
Like I said previously, previous presidents and houses of Congress who didn't have an ongoing war to pay for were unwilling to spend the money necessary on increasing school budgets. Blaming the war in Iraq for something that's been ignored whether the war was going on or not is really just that, pointing fingers and laying blame.

They were too busy paying off debts from other President's foreign policies.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Many schools are actually pushing for uniforms as well. I know a local school - a public school does have a uniform. A local county does as well.

Because they don't want little johnny to be upset that he doesn't have the expensive brand shirts.

Dont forget seperating boys from girls.

Shimmer

Quote:
They were too busy paying off debts from other President's foreign policies.

Keep placing blame. Please.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye

And we are allowing it because of the whole sensitivity sh*t (yes, I said the word) and the P.C. B.S. that is so rampant.

My school district actually did it with the students in the younger grades. They thought it would take the focus off of clothes somehow. I don't know, because they didn't have a school issued uniform; you could wear whatever you wanted, brand wise, as long as it conformed to certain colors and cuts.

I'm not opposed to uniforms, though. Enforcing dress code was difficult for teachers and hall monitors, because they ran the risk of sexual harassment accussations. If they spelled out specifically how one was to dress, I think it would be a lot easier.

Shimmer

Quote:

It's one way of compensating for children who can't afford supplies, supposedly. :/

Raerae

Quote:
You make several good points, I don't deny that, but your point(s) are lost because of your inability to effectively debate.

It's informal chatter Shimmer. If you want to have a formal discussion with well thought out posts, a thesis, and a concise and conclusive argument, then state that in the thread.

Until then this is nothing more than watercooler prattle.

Shimmer

Quote:
My school district actually did it with the students in the younger grades. They thought it would take the focus off of clothes somehow. I don't know, because they didn't have a school issued uniform; you could wear whatever you wanted, brand wise, as long as it conformed to certain colors and cuts.

I'm not opposed to uniforms, though. Enforcing dress code was difficult for teachers and hall monitors, because they ran the risk of sexual harassment accussations. If they spelled out specifically how one was to dress, I think it would be a lot easier.

That's why I'm totally f or it, particularly in high school.
The kids at the district we attend have the OC style going, which is against the dress code, and every year the school has to modify the code to allow for trends. It'd eliminate a lot of problems if the district would simply institute a dress code.

Shimmer

Quote:
It's informal chatter Shimmer. If you want to have a formal discussion with well thought out posts, a thesis, and a concise and conclusive argument, then state that in the thread.

Until then this is nothing more than watercooler prattle.

Actually, I was more referencing the fact that 90% of your posts lack anything close to relevant content or a point.q

Status
Not open for further replies.