Bad Customers!

Bernadette

At Macy's we won't return something because someone broke it. I've had people get upset about that and I just said I'm sorry but we aren't responsible for that. We also can't take returns without a reciept, box or one or the other. Unless, on occasion if it was purchased on your Macy's card. Oh and no returns after 180 or 190 days, soemthing like that
I used to work at Nordstrom and I'm really grateful to work in a store that has stricter policies on retruns.

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
At Macy's we won't return something because someone broke it. I've had people get upset about that and I just said I'm sorry but we aren't responsible for that. We also can't take returns without a reciept, box or one or the other. Unless, on occasion if it was purchased on your Macy's card. Oh and no returns after 180 or 190 days, soemthing like that
I used to work at Nordstrom and I'm really grateful to work in a store that has stricter policies on retruns.

gigglegirl

I'm astonished someone would even consider returning something like an LE product that had been out months ago....like BLM or even earlier. If I chose an e/s or product/whatever and I've not used it or its past the return time (I think I'm allowed over 30 days but thats my self-imposed limit) I suck it up and make it work. I don't think a company should accept returns for things they no longer stock like LE's or Disc unless you bought it like a week ago.

amoona

The whole returning old/cracked/used products pisses me off. My manager is pretty flexible with that and she'll return a lot. I certainly wouldn't be. Try it at the store before you buy it or keep it!

VeXedPiNk

I don't work at MAC, but I just wanted to throw out my two cents:

I can't believe that these kinds of people are out there. I used to work retail, so I have an extra appreciation for anyone who has to deal with customers. You really have to shake your head after some people leave and wonder how they've made it this far in life.

MAC (and pretty much any cosmetic company) offers you the opportunity to test products prior to purchase. You can also ask a MUA to assist you with colour choices. There shouldn't be any reason to return large amounts of product. I can understand buying something and deciding that it just doesn't work for you. I bought a lipstick that just didn't look as amazing as it did in-store, although I did keep it in the end (I still find times to wear it).

But broken product?!? I can't believe anyone would attempt to return that, much less than any company would accept it. I think that claresauntie summed it up perfectly with her car dealership analogy. Most e/s can be re-pressed anyways. Besides, I have a couple of pressed powder compacts that I've dropped and decided that I prefer as loose powder, haha.

TrueRiot

I have ladies that purchase starter skincare kits from my boutique (non-MAC) and they'll return it, mostly empty. Their excuse it "it just didn't work out for me". WELL, it's a STARTER KIT, meant to last about a month, it's not going to work like magic in such a short time period. I could understand if you break out or something, then by all means return it, but to use EVERYTHING and then decide you'd like your money back, if everyone could do that with anything they buy..., then we'd never be in debt.

SnowWhiteQueen

I get called a racist every bloody day it seems. Everytime we catch someone stealing that isnt white I'm suddenly a "racist bitch". That really yanks my chain. The race card gets played waaaaay more times than is actually warrented.

I work in a downtown store and it bothers me when people who clearly do not have the money to purchase anything insist that you give them a makeover and ask you questions about perfume for an hour. You try to be nice but the whole time you know that they are just wasting your time and know it. Working on commission and having customers like that just drives me crazy! I have rent to pay!!!!

SnowWhiteQueen

Why do so many customers just assume because we're MAC girls we're idiots?! Why the hell are they surprised when they realize I know a lot more then just a their foundation color?! One of my co-workers has her MASTERS - is she just a dumb make-up girl too? I may not be the smartest person in the world but I'm no idiot and I hate being treated like one. This has happened to me so many times that I've honestly considered quitting because of it. I know I shouldn't care what people thing but even outside of work when I tell people I work for MAC and I'm a make-up artist they always start talking to me like I'm an idiot.

quote]

AGREED!!!! I have a 4.2 GPA (out of 4.5 at my university) and customers do assume that you are a dumb little makeup girl with zero depth, intellect, or knowledge beyond anything lipstick.

Ugh, I love this thread.

mintcollective1

it really depends on the vibe a customer puts out...thats how I gauge a situation...there are those people that really don't know what they want, and honestly, they don't even want makeup, but they don't know that yet, so after and hour of playing and writing everything down, you just have to take it as a loss. People are people.
One way I disarm a customer who has a case of the "i don't know youre the expert, do what every you wan to do" is...I seriously grab the carbon, and aquadisiac and the passionate and tell them Im going to do a really black smokey eye and have aquadisiac as the brow highlight and then Im going to draw a lightning bolt on their forehead with the passionate. Then they get it. Its funny, and it gets an honest opinion out of their mouth. I also ask them what trends they've seen that they think they like but cant achieve or ill ask them, if in a perfect wourld, they could have their faces look like anything, what would their makeup look like or who would it resemble or what would the feeling be. Makeup is about more than just applying colors and using brushes...it also expresses emotion or pulls out feelings...its all about the connection people...
but yeah...I get crazies all the time...
like the lady that got mad at me for giving her a mac bag that had a see thru side (aka-the basic small mac bag that you put purchased product in) because she felt mac was using her for free advertisement and she didnt appreciate that...yeeeaaaahhhh...

Purple Haze

like the lady that got mad at me for giving her a mac bag that had a see thru side (aka-the basic small mac bag that you put purchased product in) because she felt mac was using her for free advertisement and she didnt appreciate that...yeeeaaaahhhh...[/quote]

That was HILARIOUS. So apparently, then, she doesn't shop at a grocery stores or a drugstores for fear she may be an exploited poster child..... hogwash.

It's been a blast reading these comments....I can sympathize.
What truly gets me is when a customer comes in looking for a foundation, and no matter what you test on her, even though it's completely dissapearing into her skin, it's the wrong color. Why are people so HELL BENT on being lighter or darker than they are!? And don't ask your friend/mom/sister/roomate/boyfriend/aunt or other kin either, like I'm giving you the wrong color on PURPOSE, right? Because I hate you and don't want to put my name on good work.
How about people with a SUNBURN or are peeling!?!?! I work in a very touristy-area mall where it seems sun is a precious commodity in other countries. How the heck am I supposed to find an accurate match if you look like a blistered tomato?!?!? C'mon...that's just senseless and rude.

And to add to the "I dunno, you're the expert"- (only if they say it in a nasty way) I simply say "yes, thank goodness I'm the expert, and thank you for that perceptive observation, however; I'm going to need just a bit of your imput here if you'd like to leave the store happy today".

okay...off the soapbox
smiles.gif

prettygirl

ok ok.. i'm sorry.. this is totally off subject. but i use to work in a grocery store. and oh lord... we had the rudest customers in the WORLD. especially people off lonestar (foodstamps) *no offense to anyone*. but yes.. these people would come into my checkout line.. with like two grocery carts full. and watch me ring them out, and tell me "okay okay.. stop at 50 dollars".. like WTF? and if their dumb*** didn't know, WE.. the cashiers.. can tell how much money you have left on your card. and it really really urks my nerves when they have hundreds of dollars left! oh wait, they're probably just saving that money to trade it into cash to buy some drugs or something. oh ghetto people. &&&&& when people start saying "oh you rang me up wrong.. that's so and so dollars." like WOMAN did you see me type in a number? I didn't choose a price to give you.. it was the damn computer! ahhh.. ok ok.. i'm sorry about my ranting. i love specktra
smiles.gif

faifai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellyCell
I want to point out I'm flat out nice and shy person...especially at MAC where I just get overwhelmed with it all... even more when a person comes up to ask for my help. I'll politely decline or do ask them typical questions and get good service once in awhile... but, as of a lot lately - those nice MUA have been MIA.

Yeah, I don't expect to be waited on hand in foot but what I truly hate (not generalizing) is when a MAC MUA blatantly ignores me. Like, not even a "hello"... how difficult is it to greet a costumer? At times I just feel like being rude back to them for that (but I don't, so chill
greengrin.gif
). This happen so often at most of the MAC stores I've encountered, I'm resorting to going online for my shopping and I hate that... I really love feedback and chatting with MAs. There are so many trolls out there that really ruin the company's reputation and I hate that. And also when I see them behind the counter not doing anything...(at the MAC in Macy*s - there were NO customers and 3 MUA at work and NONE asked if I needed help, which I did and since I'm too shy to approach them I left) and when I don't get a "thank you" or "have a good day" remark after purchase or just browsing really gets to me too.

A lot of folks are missing the basic principle of courtesy and politeness and how can total affect the costumer's overall experience. I still try to kill them with niceness but my effort doesn't seem to be changing loads of their attitudes :/

I'm sorry that that's been your experience, but this thread is really for people in the industry to vent about bad customers, not for customers to vent about MUAs or what they feel is poor customer service. People should be able to post here without fear of being criticized for having those feelings.

ChanelAddicted

I work in a drugstore, not cosmetic counter, but i feel i need to post this story here. Some people are just unbeleivable...

I was doing some cleaning, slow mid-week morning when i noticed this little girl, about 6 years old, looking at chocolate bars near the cash register. Didn't think much of it, thought her mother was near, shopping. I go in the back, come back 25 minutes later, the litlle girl is still there, only now she's becoming agitated. She seems afraid and calling for her mother.

My manager and I go to her, ask about the whereabout of her mother. We then call her mother on speakers. Nothing. The store is empty of customers. We then decide to call the police (the little girl have now been alone for 45-50 minutes).

The police comes in, now the little girl is really scared and we all feel bad for her. But then, the mother comes in. All mad at us because we called the police and didn't "mind our own business". She was shopping in a story close to ours and she dropped off her little girl at the pharmacy because, you know, a drugstore is a daycare. She even told the manager that it wouldn't have killed her to look after her daughter for a little while.

I was speachless, how can you do that to you own child? What if she was kidnapped or something? Crazy woman and poor little girl
ssad.gif

noahlowryfan

^that is not a good mother. if you didn't want to look after your kid while your shopping then don't bring her. left her at home for someone to look after her while you do your shopping.

MissVivaMac

EW to...

DOUBLE DiPPERS!!!!! ...because then I have to B2M all that stuff i just saw you dip that brush in 323482810 times.

People who think my brush is a friggin magic wand...sorry mam but i cannot give you a face lift in 15 minutes.

Mothers who want me to put eyeshadow on their 3 year old..hmmm I dont remember signing up to be in charge of a daycare.

People that I spend an hour doing their make up and they make up some excuse of why they are purchasing anything(left my card in the car, will come back in 10 minutes)...just tell me the truth, I prob wouldnt spend that much either.

Here's a good one:

Its a Saturday (fully booked, waiting list, walk ups, reg custys line 10 parties long)...someone walks up "You think you can do my make up real quick?"

me: excuse me?????? hi. do you see every artist aith an appt and 42984230984 customers swarming the counter. hellllllooooooooo? and i have never heard of a "quick" full application hahahahahah
and drumroll....for my favorite::::

customer*cocky voice*: yes, i would like "A97" (motioning to impassioned)
me: you mean impassioined lipstick?
custy: no, A97
me: Well normally we go by their name so in the future here it is so you dont look like an idiot!!

sitasati

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygirl
ok ok.. i'm sorry.. this is totally off subject. but i use to work in a grocery store. and oh lord... we had the rudest customers in the WORLD. especially people off lonestar (foodstamps) *no offense to anyone*. but yes.. these people would come into my checkout line.. with like two grocery carts full. and watch me ring them out, and tell me "okay okay.. stop at 50 dollars".. like WTF? and if their dumb*** didn't know, WE.. the cashiers.. can tell how much money you have left on your card. and it really really urks my nerves when they have hundreds of dollars left! oh wait, they're probably just saving that money to trade it into cash to buy some drugs or something. oh ghetto people. &&&&& when people start saying "oh you rang me up wrong.. that's so and so dollars." like WOMAN did you see me type in a number? I didn't choose a price to give you.. it was the damn computer! ahhh.. ok ok.. i'm sorry about my ranting. i love specktra
smiles.gif

I feel you're pain ..trust me I do. I work at a pharmacy so the copays that we charge people they think IT's US charging them and not their stupid insurance companies. So they awlays go "YOU GUYS ALWAYS OVERCHARGE ME I NEVER PAY SO AND SO" UGH! Especially the people on State funded insurance ..that come walking in with their gucci handbags and babyphat jeans and complain about paying the 1 or 2 dollar copay that Medicaid charges them. I always think to myself ...okay I understand you cannot afford medicine or medical servies but how in the world can you afford brand name clothes? I work my butt off plus I'm in school and I'm NOT EVEN ELIGIBLE for medicaid. My tax dollars go to fund their GUCCI gear and then they complain! WTF!

Sorry for the rant lol.

ChanelAddicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitasati
I feel you're pain ..trust me I do. I work at a pharmacy so the copays that we charge people they think IT's US charging them and not their stupid insurance companies. So they awlays go "YOU GUYS ALWAYS OVERCHARGE ME I NEVER PAY SO AND SO" UGH! Especially the people on State funded insurance ..that come walking in with their gucci handbags and babyphat jeans and complain about paying the 1 or 2 dollar copay that Medicaid charges them. I always think to myself ...okay I understand you cannot afford medicine or medical servies but how in the world can you afford brand name clothes? I work my butt off plus I'm in school and I'm NOT EVEN ELIGIBLE for medicaid. My tax dollars go to fund their GUCCI gear and then they complain! WTF!

Sorry for the rant lol.

OMG i soooo understand you! I also work in a pharmacy and people are just insane about the copays!!
angry.gif

*KT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanelAddicted
I work in a drugstore, not cosmetic counter, but i feel i need to post this story here. Some people are just unbeleivable...

I was doing some cleaning, slow mid-week morning when i noticed this little girl, about 6 years old, looking at chocolate bars near the cash register. Didn't think much of it, thought her mother was near, shopping. I go in the back, come back 25 minutes later, the litlle girl is still there, only now she's becoming agitated. She seems afraid and calling for her mother.

My manager and I go to her, ask about the whereabout of her mother. We then call her mother on speakers. Nothing. The store is empty of customers. We then decide to call the police (the little girl have now been alone for 45-50 minutes).

The police comes in, now the little girl is really scared and we all feel bad for her. But then, the mother comes in. All mad at us because we called the police and didn't "mind our own business". She was shopping in a story close to ours and she dropped off her little girl at the pharmacy because, you know, a drugstore is a daycare. She even told the manager that it wouldn't have killed her to look after her daughter for a little while.

I was speachless, how can you do that to you own child? What if she was kidnapped or something? Crazy woman and poor little girl
ssad.gif

How completely rude and irresponsible. I wonder how often that little girl has to go through that panic of feeling abandoned and lost... and how it will affect her when she grows up.

On a lighter note, sounds like you need the sign that we've got hanging (in the employee break room, sadly) at my work:

"Children left unattended will be given espresso and a free puppy."

calbear

"Children left unattended will be given espresso and a free puppy"

add in a drum set to that and parents will just die