Bad Customers!

glamourgirl216

I've read all the comments and can truly understand every ones point of view on this subject. As a MA for it is soooo difficult to balance your love for the ART of makeup and the retail aspect of it. I love it when a customer actually wants to learn how to use the makeup, it's so refreshing! Most of our customers treat our MAC counter like if it was a nail salon!!! Seriously they go to the mall, buy their new hoochie mama outfit, get their hair and nails done, and then come in to us to just make them pretty? And they want it all done FAST and for FREE! They even know how to ask for it... " I want an eye-demo" WTF! Usually an eye-demo is just that, a 1 eye-demo. We are supposed to show you how do your eyeshadow on 1 eye and then we coach the customer while THEY do other eye. But this doesn't sit well for the majority of our customers. They don't want to learn, they just want it done for them. Those are the ones that abuse the system and therefore MAC has to implement the minimum purchase policy.
I have had someone come up to me and say, " you're not busy, do you want to put makeup on me?" Umm, what? I wish I could say... NO! Seriously we're so overworked on doing makeup ALL DAY, that doing another demo, just sucks!
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MAKEUP! LOVE MAC! And love helping people, but some people forget that just as much as they enjoy great customer service, we as artist would appreciate if people would treat us with respect.

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourgirl216
I've read all the comments and can truly understand every ones point of view on this subject. As a MA for it is soooo difficult to balance your love for the ART of makeup and the retail aspect of it. I love it when a customer actually wants to learn how to use the makeup, it's so refreshing! Most of our customers treat our MAC counter like if it was a nail salon!!! Seriously they go to the mall, buy their new hoochie mama outfit, get their hair and nails done, and then come in to us to just make them pretty? And they want it all done FAST and for FREE! They even know how to ask for it... " I want an eye-demo" WTF! Usually an eye-demo is just that, a 1 eye-demo. We are supposed to show you how do your eyeshadow on 1 eye and then we coach the customer while THEY do other eye. But this doesn't sit well for the majority of our customers. They don't want to learn, they just want it done for them. Those are the ones that abuse the system and therefore MAC has to implement the minimum purchase policy.
I have had someone come up to me and say, " you're not busy, do you want to put makeup on me?" Umm, what? I wish I could say... NO! Seriously we're so overworked on doing makeup ALL DAY, that doing another demo, just sucks!
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MAKEUP! LOVE MAC! And love helping people, but some people forget that just as much as they enjoy great customer service, we as artist would appreciate if people would treat us with respect.

You guys are killing me tonight!!! It's as if we are living the same life. DO WE WORK IN THE SAME MALL?!?!?

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourgirl216

Preach. You see them scootin' in with a pair of those disposable flip flops and you know that 6 times out of 10 what's going to transpire. It's like Giz said, if I am counting ceiling tiles, I pray for doing makeup-free or not but if we are slammed, I want to be there to help people who need help. The best is when you do step away to help someone and flip flop girl gives them a hard time for stealing you away.
th_dunno.gif

Calbear, I think we all do work at the same mall, how come we have not met for after work cocktails? lol

SnowWhiteQueen

I started doing makeup on someone the other day and didn't realize she was insane. She has a parrot who abuses her apparantly, and has called the police on it several times. Are you for real?????

I had a guy come in the other day and asked what he could use to get rid of his acne. I asked what he was using now, and he said dish soap, because it was 'tough on grease'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told him that the grease on your fries is different than grease on your face and he didn't believe me. Sometimes I just want to scream.

Oh, and then there's the lady who wanted to buy every lipstick from revlon. Revlon doesn't allow testers in most of their lipcolors anymore, because it is crazy unhygenic. So she wanted to buy them all, test them, and return all the ones she didnt want. I told her that if she would do that, i would write it on her recipt that no return would be allowed. She flipped. I'm sorry but that is just the rudest,most wasteful thing ever. Call the company and complain.

I have become very cynical about the human race.

MissMarley

I had a woman who stood in front of the eyeshadow tester unit for a while yesterday, swatching them...who then looked up and asked me "Are these all the lipsticks you sell?"

chocolategoddes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMarley
I had a woman who stood in front of the eyeshadow tester unit for a while yesterday, swatching them...who then looked up and asked me "Are these all the lipsticks you sell?"

that sounds like something i would do.

Lissah

2 questions:
Is it rude to wait for a MA you like when he or she is already busy and another isnt? Also, does it screw up the MA's sales average (or whatever its called) if you make your purchase, pay, realize you forgot an item and then just get that one item which is now a new transaction? Are your averages figured out per transaction, per customer or what?

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissah
2 questions:
Is it rude to wait for a MA you like when he or she is already busy and another isnt? Also, does it screw up the MA's sales average (or whatever its called) if you make your purchase, pay, realize you forgot an item and then just get that one item which is now a new transaction? Are your averages figured out per transaction, per customer or what?

it's not rude as long as you let the free artist know you are waiting for the other one politely, and you don't get all huffy if the one you're waiting for takes a while to get to you. that happens more times than you know.

it does screw up our sales. averages are figured per transaction (both $ amount and item count).

TUPRNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly
I work in a social services organization and work directly with children. Ugh...I give these parents the world basically (a MENTOR!!) and I am SUPER flexible with my time..will stay way late or even come in on a weekend to accomodate them. Well, the parent show up late, sometimes don't even bother showing up, and never even calls me to tell me they will be late! It sucks.

I never even get a thanks from some of these dildo heads.

Well, from me personally, thanks for what you do! You are not only helping that little child you are helping society as a whole and I appreciate your dedication to these little ones you need a good mentor! Keep on with what you're doing.... you will be rewarded some day for all of your hard work!

glamdoll

I feel bad when I go into the Pro store cus I already have my 3 FAVE MUA chosen. So I always buy from them. Like whoever is available of them. And I feel bad when somene else offers to help, I tell them "oh no thanks" politely, then I go to one of my fave peeps and they look at me weird. Like I dunno, like I should have bought from them cus they greeted me.

I do buy from others when I know what I need and they arent there. Does that make me a bad customer?

I dunno. But I hate feeling that way.

Hikaru-chan

I had a unreasonable customer the other day who came in for something and it was out of stock and the stupid bitch said "so you dont want me to spend my money with you" and walks of. I swear sometime I suprise myself because i'm not normally a patient person.

I also have a few regulars who get pissy if they can't get an appointment with me at short notice, for fuck sake use you common sense, it's friday and you want an appointment for saturday lunchtime do you really think I'm gonna be able to fit you in.

Actually I had a fantastic customer in today. Client walk up to one of the girls and demands an infill appoinment with the manager for tommorow, obviously there's no availability so she asks for monday but the manager is on holiday that week.
The girl who's serving her tell her she can have an appointment with me on monday and the lady turns around and says no cause she had her nails done by that girl (points to one of our trainees) and they didn't look right (you knew when I booked you in with that girl that she was training).
Anyways she was reassured that I had 6 years experience doing nails and was quite qualified to do hers so she agrees to be booked in with me but shock horror I'm fully booked at the time she wants so I take over the from the girl who is serving her cause she now getting really frustrated.
I offer her an appointment with one of our other techs and she starts moaning that she's not happy and she now just whant's to have them taken off so I book her in for that and she leaves while mumbling to herself.
To make matters worse she refused to leave a deposit which is required to secure your appointment (we have way too many no shows) and I have a feeling she won't turn up.

God I love retail.

GreekChick

So the other day, appointment chick walks out without buying anything. No 45$ purchse, nothing. And it was our Fafi event!
As I was doing her makeup, her bf was getting impatient, and she told me to hurry up. When I'm done with her, she tells me her bf is impatiently waiting for her, and that she was going to be back in a couple of seconds to purchase her stuff. She never came back.
I had just spend one hour, doing a COMPLETE BOOKED MAKEUP, selling nothing on the floor, it was UNINTERRUPTED, and she just walks away buying nothing!
Well, the other day I called her from work (her number is on our event sheet). I told her I had put the products aside for her. She got all nervous, and didn't say anything.
The worst part is that she's not one of those ignorant customers who doesn,t care for MAC. She is a die-hard MAC fanatic!
I felt like pulling her hair off and throwing it into our paper shredder, but obviously, I had to kill her with the kindness (
smiles.gif
).

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
So the other day, appointment chick walks out without buying anything. No 45$ purchse, nothing. And it was our Fafi event!
As I was doing her makeup, her bf was getting impatient, and she told me to hurry up. When I'm done with her, she tells me her bf is impatiently waiting for her, and that she was going to be back in a couple of seconds to purchase her stuff. She never came back.
I had just spend one hour, doing a COMPLETE BOOKED MAKEUP, selling nothing on the floor, it was UNINTERRUPTED, and she just walks away buying nothing!
Well, the other day I called her from work (her number is on our event sheet). I told her I had put the products aside for her. She got all nervous, and didn't say anything.
The worst part is that she's not one of those ignorant customers who doesn,t care for MAC. She is a die-hard MAC fanatic!
I felt like pulling her hair off and throwing it into our paper shredder, but obviously, I had to kill her with the kindness (
smiles.gif
).

Yep, I've heard that one. I've seen some creative ways to get out of paying.

I never understood men who want to stand around for makeovers then get huffy and complain when it doesn't take 5 mins. Go find something to do, dude.

erine1881

well, today our assistant manager got yelled at buy a NON-customer.

so, this girl walks up wanting lashes. no problem. we put her on the walkup list, which was about a 30-60 minute wait. she's getting her lashes, then asks to get her eyes done, blah, blah, blah. so the manager says "sure, it's with a $50 purchase." they girl throws a fit, says that she gets her makeup done all the time in chicago and never gets charged. bullshit! so the manager asks her where in chicago she gets her makeup done on a saturday night for free. yeah, the girl couldn't answer that one.

anyway, while she's getting her lashes on, this guy walks up and says "you're (the custy) beautiful. can i talk to you?" the poor girl was too freaked out to say anything. the manager tells him she is busy doing the girls makeup right now. he asks if he can come back and talk to the custy when she's done. the girl is still freaked out. the manager says that she won't be done for an hour (totally lying to help the girl out. she's just getting lashes btw). so, after a little while, the guy comes back and asks where the custy is. the manager tells him that she finished with her and she was gone. he went off on her. saying she told him it would be an hour, and it was only 30min later. "how you gonna do a customer like that. you told me an hour and it's not even been that long." she says "that girl doesn't work here. i can't keep her here. i'm not gonna make the girl stay so you can hit on her." he kept going off on her and finally she was like " you're not my customer, you aren't buying anything, i'm not having this conversation with you", and she walks away, with the guy still babbling behind her. i couldn't believe it! i was
th_LMAO.gif
inside (only cause i was ringing someone up). today was the day from hell, and with that dude it just put us all over the edge. but when she said that and walked away, it was all almost worth it!

Dani

(I work in a shoe store)

Attention customers: If your child has to throw up, it's ok, we understand. That's what the garbage is for. Even if you can't find a garbage in time and you have to use a bag, that's ok too! Just PLEASE, throw the bag out and DON'T put it on one of our clearance racks for me to pick up later.

EWWWW >_< grossgrossgross

scorplove

I work at Macys for one of the smaller lines (I don't want to say the name just in case somebody from there is reading this site, because I plan on doing a vent thread soon. LOL) and I just want to say that I DO NOT ENVY THE MAC artists. Everything you're saying is true.

I've been working at my counter since December of last year. We didn't have a MAC counter here until just a little while ago. Let me say that OUR MACYS LOCATION SUCKS as far as foot traffic and people with money. The good news is that MAC does make their goals, but it is VERY TRUE that many young people come in wanting their full face done and KNOW they don't have the money to buy anything.

Because my counter is a good distance away from MAC's I just assumed they were "busy" all the time. Every time I would look their way somebody would be sitting in the chair getting something done to their face. The artists told me to not be fooled by that, because most of those chicks are just wasting their time. Yes, they do make goal, but it's like pulling teeth to get these clients to spend more. Yeah, welcome to MY world (more on that later).

Once upon a time, I had wanted to work for MAC, but after reading the stories here and listening to the wonderful artists at the MAC counter, I no longer have that wish. I do NOT have the patience.

See? I work at a counter that barely breaks $100 most days and our goals are close to $600. I would be soooooooooo pissed to do a full face on somebody and not have them buy anything or WORSE buy the products and then return them to another counter the next day. You would be surprised at how often this happens for many lines.

Also, I'm older than most of you guys, so my patience level can't really deal with haggling with a customer to buy an $18 mascara, in addition to their $35 foundation, when they're trying to figure out which card they're gonna pay me with that's not up to their limit.

I commend you guys wholeheartedly for putting up with extreme nonsense. I wish a chick would ask me to throw some makeup on her kid's face while she runs around shopping.
nonono.gif
I would tell her that I don't do ANYBODY'S face for "fun". It would have to be a 3 item purchase. If she started going off about how "other" MAC artists do it, I would still say that "I" don't do ANYTHING FOR FREE. I'll do her kid, but she gotta buy 3 items for my time.

MissMarley

So today a woman comes in, plops down in a chair, yammering on her cell phone for 15 minutes- then looks up and says "am I invisible or what?". the manager of the counter she was at (across from mine) offered to help, but she huffed off to our counter and asked us to call a manager so she could complain...

long story short-
she ends up getting in the counter manager's face and saying "From what I spend in a month on products, it would pay your salary for a year. I pay you to be behind that counter when I want you" - and the other gem "It's not my fault I have money and high self-esteem".

All this because SHE was on her cell phone and the counter manager didn't want to interrupt her conversation.

KikiB

Oh, the joys of retail. Today alone could have filled an entire book of bad customer stories!

1. These two ladies came in here and were looking for a wash for something and my hearing is not the most acute-it's decent but English was obviously not their first language. I told them that no, we did not carry it. Well they go and ask our new sales leader, who has a lot more patience than me, and she asked me "They're wondering if we carry "down-there" wash". Then after both of us telling them no, they ask us where they can find some! Honestly, if you're having those kinds of problems, you need to go to an OB-GYN. The clincher: we had to talk in hushed voices, because they didn't want their guy friend to know what their problem was.

2. Our company made this coupon and emailed it to some people who lived near where new stores are opening up. Well some dipshit mass-emailed it, and it's not a free hand soap or home fragrance with minimum purchase-it's a free item up to $11 with any purchase. Because there were concerns about it being a fradulent coupon as well as us not being in that area, we invoked a rule saying that in order to use the coupon, the free item has to be of equal or lesser value to the items you purchased. Do not expect to buy a $1 gift bag or a $1.50 nail file and then get an $11 body cream. People then get pissed off because we chose to invoke the "exclusions and/or purchase limitations apply" clause on the coupon. I almost have to keep a highlighter in my apron for the 800 customers who try and do that every day.

3. Another shopping cart one-people who are shopping in the mall-with a Target shopping cart. The Target is in another building across the street. I almost poked my eye out with some idiot's finials. Not to mention it is supremely tacky to go into a shopping mall with a shopping cart from another store!

4. Groupies! Ah, groupies. That's what we call the huge groups of teenagers or kids who have no intention of buying, but just clogging up our sinks with hand scrub, spraying every body spray known to man, and doing crappy singalongs to our music. Even worse are the scavenger hunts-the people who come in, don't buy anything, and expect to be allowed to take Myspace mirror pictures and get Q-Tips and spatulas.

5. Continuing on that one was a story from my summer, where a group of three teenage girls came into the store and they were loud, brash, and probably sharing a brain. They try every body spray, they are being annoying, and then they find all the American Girl bodycare which is EXTREMELY sickeningly sweet. Well the head girl takes the bottle of the Strawberries & Cream and sprays it ALL over herself, and then does the "Squat and Spray", where well, it says it all, you squat and spray...well yeah. Then she goes up to our manager on duty and was like "Hey what's this?" while holding the tester bottle RIGHT IN HIS FACE. Not only did she stink up the entire store with that scent, but she made a complete arse of herself.

6. Here's yet another one: During the summer, this one girl would always come in and ask for TWO applications, to add to her stack of mall applications. I'm talking once or twice a week. Then one time, she grabbed a bottle of the Sensual Amber body splash, must have used half of it, and then did the infamous "Squat and Spray". Then she used a ton of the EDT. It's already overkill as that is one of our strongest fragrances, but it was a pretty warm Seattle day. Well she stopped after we made her sign up for the interviews and everyone else caught on to her.

7. People who come in when we have a line of 5 people, I am running the floor by myself...and they expect me to give them an application right then and there. There's a thing called a LINE!

8. Customers who get pissed when returning stuff because they don't have their card and they cannot get it back onto another card. It is company policy that if you paid with a card and you have your receipt, you have to have the same card in order to get the money back on the card. If you do not have that same card, you have to either wait and bring in the card, or you get it back on a merch credit card. There are people who get gifts from our store and get pissed because we cannot give them cash when they return our product.

Even though I don't do makeup, we all get the bad customers. Comes with the territory...but it's all experience in the end.