Control your brats.

Shimmer

I have no problems with spanking a child, or grabbing one by the ear, or whatever. I don't believe in beating a child but there's a difference.

kalikana

Ok, maybe I used the wrong word. I don't mean like punching your kid until he/she bleeds, or putting them in a cage or something.. What my parents did to me was take a belt (not the buckle) and hit me on the ass with it 10-20 times. I don't know if you'd consider that "beating," but it worked for me, lol. xD

_trimm_trabb

Thank you, and amen. Whoever said you should write a parenting book is correct, and it should be manditorily distributed to parents in OB/GYN centers upon birth of any child. "Congratulations ma'm, it's a girl. Here's a book on how to not fuck her up."

If I have to go out to dinner and have cheerios thrown at me from some brat two tables over only to hear the parents go "oh, hahaha, how cute," one more time, I'm going to flip out.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikana
Ok, maybe I used the wrong word. I don't mean like punching your kid until he/she bleeds, or putting them in a cage or something.. What my parents did to me was take a belt (not the buckle) and hit me on the ass with it 10-20 times. I don't know if you'd consider that "beating," but it worked for me, lol. xD

lol the original title of this post was "Beat your kids folks".
smiles.gif

Briar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikana

Wow, actually sounds pretty extreme to me, but that's just me.

My son gets a single, firm swat on the butt if he's really out of line. We also have a time out corner which does wonders to "reboot" his attitude. I think the swat on the backside, or even a few good smacks on a bare butt if the trespass is bad enough is more than acceptable. We have very clear rules and boundries of expected behavior. No talking back; use please, thank you and excuse me; no mistreating animals or other people... you get the idea.

I hate, hate, hate to go someplace and see parents allowing their children to run roughshod over them, and everyone else. How can we possibly expect these little people to learn respect for others if they are led to belive anything and everything they do is allowable and just an "expression of their personality" or some crap. Isn't this how felons act?

We also try to instill in our son a sense of respect for any and all people. I have for about a year and a half, done some private duty nursing with a family that has 4 very special disabled children. I have taken my son over there to meet and play with these kids so he will learn they aren't so different, and so he won't be afraid of someone who is different from him. Kids are curious, and will ask questions. I get that. What I don't, and won't abide in my kid is rude pointing, whispering, laughing or otherwise disrepsectful behavior just because someone isn't just like him, or his peers.

chocolategoddes

yeah, my parents would whoop my ass if i did crazy shit. Back then I was like, " i'm never gonna spank my kids" but now, if i have kids, and they misbehave its gonna be mr.shoe meets mr. butt.
not in an abusive way ofcourse.
When you'r raised by African (or any other foreign country) parents, you learn to behave.

FullWroth

I think talking back *respectfully* is okay once kids reach a certain age, because it's just one more way for them to learn how to hold a dialogue with someone (particularly when they don't agree or feel like they're not being understood), and hopefully teach them how to communicate with people to try to get their viewpoint across, because a parent can give the kind of feedback that a real-life situation probably wouldn't provide.

But yeah, even that kind of talking back thing probably shouldn't start until after puberty sometime, exact date then depending on the specific kid's maturity level. And I definitely can't understand the absolutely foul things I see and hear kids say to their parents. Even when I'm really infuriated with my parents, I just go seethe quietly in the corner in my room. I once accidentally snapped back at my mom in the heat of the moment (and I was already over 18 at this point) and it made her cry, and it was the worst feeling in the whole world and I would've done anything to take it back. I don't understand how someone could do that to their parents and not even feel bad about it.

AlarmAgent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullWroth
I think talking back *respectfully* is okay once kids reach a certain age, because it's just one more way for them to learn how to hold a dialogue with someone (particularly when they don't agree or feel like they're not being understood), and hopefully teach them how to communicate with people to try to get their viewpoint across, because a parent can give the kind of feedback that a real-life situation probably wouldn't provide.

I agree with this to the nth degree. I can't thank my parents enough for allowing me to engage them in debate on topics ranging from politics, moral issues, music, to why I can't go out driving around with strangers at 14, haha. We always took them seriously, never got to screaming, and I understood their side of things right away because of the openness. Sometimes, my mind would manage to be changed in a matter of minutes. They were either very convincing, or I was a bulb-headed preteen. Little column A, little column B.

Never once did they try and stifle my opinion, or my voice. It has granted me tons of self confidence, the ability to reason and rationalize most all sides of an issue, and just really made me the confrontational, contrarian jackass I am today.
winks.gif

I don't plan on ever stopping my children from arguing with me, I'll just keep going until I win. I mean, after all, they're kids, how hard can it be? Oh, I know I'll be eating those words as soon as I'm raising my own, huh? I think no parent or parenting style has it exactly right, it's all about the best fit for that particular family.

As for creating a public nuisance, under no circumstances would I allow that to go on. I think children deserve at least a modicum of dignity (hey, it's hard being like 2 ft high and full of gas) so I wouldn't really do anything visibly, but a firm hand squeeze and a quick look was what used to keep me in line. My parents had easy access to my hand when I was young, because they were always holding it, how sweet.

One thing that makes me almost as awkward-feeling as misbehaving kids, is when someone is screaming at the top of their lungs at their child in public. Maybe it's my background, but I think your public image should be totally composed at all times if you are over the age of 16. I feel so embarrassed for everyone in a situation when a mother or father has become a harpy in the middle of the cereal aisle. I understand it's frustrating, but for everyone's comfort, keep it together until you get the car! Anyone else get that way?

Artphr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashona Heléna
haha amen to the heelies comment...I hate those things.

i decided a few months ago i will trip any kid that just flies in front of me with those.... things.
haven't succeeded yet... but i won't hesitate!

persephonewillo

while i agree that there are definitely parents out there who need a swift kick in the butt, there are also loads of decent parents too.

i have to admit, this topic can rub me the wrong way in any forum. i have a son who is not easily "controlled". he is impulsive, very easily distracted and can be obsessive compulsive. he displays a lot of ADHD symptoms which cause other people to think i'm one of "those" parents.

i have a routine for taking him out in public to help keep incidents down... i plan out our route, inform him of each step we have to take BEFORE we leave the house and then stick with the plan. deviate from the route? insanity ensues. tell him to stop something in public? insanity ensues. stop to chat for a few minutes with a friend?... you get the picture. people just assume i'm a terrible parent (gawd, the looks i have gotten from other people just make me want to crawl in a hole and hide!)... until they meet my daughter, who is the polar opposite of my son. i do what i can to keep things under control, but as you all know, life doesn't always follow even the most well thought out plans of action.

so, yes, misbehaving children in public can be a real pain in the ass. parents who don't discipline even more of a pain in the ass. but please keep in mind that there are some cases where the child has issues and the behaviour can't be helped.
smiles.gif

Enkuli

I worked in daycare like 5 months and children were usually full of energy but still nice and sweet. Except that one of the six year olds brought a sharp knife to his closet. I cleaned dust from kids’ lockers and I was shocked when I found that kind of weapon. Imagine what might have happened if kids would have started to play with a knife.

One other child told me that he's going to saw me into two pieces so that blood is going to be all over the windows. And this one russian girl spitted on me. Well she truly was very sweet but she just didn't speak my language and we didn't speak hers so she had troubles to understanding how to behave and so on. It was kind of mad situation when she didn't understand how rude it was to spit someone. It was just a fun game to her.

So I have had my fair share of misbehaving kids and I just hate it when kids are being rude and horrible. It’s rarely the kids fault although some kids are more trouble than others. Also horrible behaving kids do have right to see the world outside their homes and for that I’m willing to stand all kind of kids. But it just makes me mad when some parents aren’t even trying to control their kids! It is a whole another story if parent is doing her/his best to teach their children like they are supposed to do but too often those kids running around and doing forbidden stuff are result of parents who just don’t see why they should raise their children to be good citizens.

Briar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullWroth

Ok, in our household that's not "talking back", that's dialouge. Big difference. Talking back is saying "no" in a snotty tone when told to brush teeth, saying "whatever" when told why something isn't appropriate (yes, I got this from my three year old in a very pre-teen voice, ugh), etc. In our home "talking back" is being snotty or snide to the parents. Not allowed.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlarmAgent
I don't plan on ever stopping my children from arguing with me, I'll just keep going until I win. I mean, after all, they're kids, how hard can it be? Oh, I know I'll be eating those words as soon as I'm raising my own, huh? I think no parent or parenting style has it exactly right, it's all about the best fit for that particular family.

I don't argue with my kids. I'm not about to spend 45 minutes explaining what and where and why and how just because any one of the 4 feels like they're campaigning on Super Tuesday and needs to debate it all. They get told what, why, and wherefore, and then after that they don't get anymore discussion. If they ask why they don't, the answer is that they're not the ones who have to pay the mortgage, insurance, etc., or to repair whatever is broken, ultimately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by persephonewillo
while i agree that there are definitely parents out there who need a swift kick in the butt, there are also loads of decent parents too.

i have to admit, this topic can rub me the wrong way in any forum. i have a son who is not easily "controlled". he is impulsive, very easily distracted and can be obsessive compulsive. he displays a lot of ADHD symptoms which cause other people to think i'm one of "those" parents.

i have a routine for taking him out in public to help keep incidents down... i plan out our route, inform him of each step we have to take BEFORE we leave the house and then stick with the plan. deviate from the route? insanity ensues. tell him to stop something in public? insanity ensues. stop to chat for a few minutes with a friend?... you get the picture. people just assume i'm a terrible parent (gawd, the looks i have gotten from other people just make me want to crawl in a hole and hide!)... until they meet my daughter, who is the polar opposite of my son. i do what i can to keep things under control, but as you all know, life doesn't always follow even the most well thought out plans of action.

so, yes, misbehaving children in public can be a real pain in the ass. parents who don't discipline even more of a pain in the ass. but please keep in mind that there are some cases where the child has issues and the behaviour can't be helped.
smiles.gif

I'm sorry for your situation with your son, that can be truly frustrating.

But it's also truly frustrating for me to be at my gym and have to scold children for breaking the rules while their Dad is over with another group of dads measuring his beenie by trying to climb different routes and their Mom is over with another group of soccer moms sitting, shoving food in their mouths, and glaring at me in disapproval because I'm in running shorts and a racer tank and mouthing about how their precious little offspring are going to be so scarred from being around "all these half naked people". It *really* frustrates me to have to tell the kids to stop swinging grigris, or to double check their ropes (again) so they don't fall, or to stop throwing the floor covering at each other, or to simply stop running. Those are other parents' jobs and to just watch them watching the kids makes me want to throw a belay device at the lot of them.

Shimmer

Y'know, honestly, it's not the kids I have a problem with, until they're 14 or so, it's the parents. I have a huuuuuge problem with willfully damaging a child just...because they can.

I hate other parents, most of the time. The ones who just sit and watch the kids runabout? I loathe them. The ones who think Johnny's "bump the lady's chair" game is cute? I hope they burn. The ones who allow their children to run the show, because actually PARENTING the child takes more effort? *bash*

Professor Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Y'know, honestly, it's not the kids I have a problem with, until they're 14 or so, it's the parents. I have a huuuuuge problem with willfully damaging a child just...because they can.

I hate other parents, most of the time. The ones who just sit and watch the kids runabout? I loathe them. The ones who think Johnny's "bump the lady's chair" game is cute? I hope they burn. The ones who allow their children to run the show, because actually PARENTING the child takes more effort? *bash*

I'm with you. I just take any chance that I can get to voice my hatred for kids....it's rare.

I get to voice my hatred for adults/parents all day long....sometimes to their face.

Does anyone else besides me feel the urge to set cars with stickers of their kids' accomplishments on fire and ram them off of a cliff? My favorite stickers are the band or soccer team stickers....nothing says "my kid is a worthless weak spoiled brat" quite like those.

Damn, I sound pretty miserable.
angry.gif

Shimmer

lol I don't advertise my son's baseball affiliations or my daughter's musical club is because I don't want people to track them down. I'm the anti-soccer mom.
smiles.gif

knoxydoll

My experiences from working in both a grocery store and as security at a baseball diamond have left me in awe at some parents.

I don't understand how in this day and age some parents will just let their kids run away from them as soon as they enter the grocery store. I once had these two young kids come and talk to me for 30 minutes while they're parents shopped. Now they were nice, polite kids, but I don't get paid enough to be a babysitter on top of my job too. The parents actually came by and said thanks for watching out kids. My mouth just dropped in shock. Screaming kids, it happens; Kids throwing a tantrum, it happens. When it happens every single week, then it's a problem. Most people do their shopping on a regular schedule, and their kids throw tantrums on regular schedules. It's disrespective to the people who work there to have your kid be a menace the whole time you're there. How would you like them to come to your work place and act like an ass all the time? You'd most likely get security to throw them out. I can't even count the amount of times I've seen kids on Heelies crash into things.

While working at the baseball diamond made me lose all hope for society in the future. And while that may sound harsh, seeing people lose their kids because they let them have free reign of the place. Having kids climb fences, while a teacher stands near by and say it's ok. Having children climb fences and have another parent (not even the child's) yell at me for taking the kid off the fence. Having kids with Heelies wheel around, kids running on slipery cement. Sometimes though it's the parents that are the worst. I was once called anal because I wouldn't let a child and her parents in with out a ticket. They were singing the National Anthems and were late and I said you need a ticket to get in. The mother started throwing a fit and the child honestly looked embarrassed. All they had to do was go to a call window 5 ft away and ask for the tickets which were already reserved. It was unbelievable. Or the lady that said I was an asshole because I wouldn't let her bring in a lunch for 10 people when there's a giant sign that says NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINK ALLOWED INSIDE just to my right. I have so many story that I could write a wonderful book on the downfall of society.

My upbringing was amazing and I base it all upon my parents upbringing. My father's family was in the military, so they were always disciplined well, and were brought up to be intellectuals and to have respect for themselves, the people around, and mostly for their parents. My mother's family are farmers. You have to be disciplined to be able to work the dairy farm. Milking cows twice a day, doing your chores everyday. Never having a day off. Respect is what held that family together. Because of this I was never stifled in what I wanted to do. I was encouraged to do what I wanted as long as it was age appropriate and that I would most likely learn something from it. I learnt my lessons by myself. I was never beat but there was always the threat of it. I don't think they would have ever gone through with it, but it was still there. Now seeing my cousin being raised it's almost the same thing. His mother (my mom's sister) is raising him like she was raised. With lots of compassion and teaching him respect and how to work in society (he already has dealt with death, and was a seriously little man when he had to be). However his father is raising him like he was raised, as a only child to strict parents. He'll yell/raise his voice at him for the most inane thing. Nicholas will talk back to his father but not his mother and it's already starting to show at how much he will rebel at his father one day. Thankfully I know he'll turn out well because he'll have the rest of his family to fall back on and support him.

Now if anyone wants any of those stories elaborated just let me know. I didn't want to make this post even more long by adding more details to them.

Professor Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
lol I don't advertise my son's baseball affiliations or my daughter's musical club is because I don't want people to track them down. I'm the anti-soccer mom.
smiles.gif

Track them down? Your name is now Sarah Conner.
choochoo.gif

tong.gif

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Fate
Track them down? Your name is now Sarah Conner.
choochoo.gif

tong.gif

lol There are entirely too many pedophiles.

I like my vehicle to be as non descript as possible.
smiles.gif