Control your brats.

Professor Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
lol There are entirely too many pedophiles.

I like my vehicle to be as non descript as possible.
smiles.gif

I agree...I'd probably be the same way if I had kids. I've always been against guns but now I am looking at buying a handgun and getting a license to carry.

MariahGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
Yes, yes, and yes!!!!!!! I have a friend who has 3 uncontrollable kids, and a new baby...so make that 4. She''s even considering another one. It's very embarrasing to be out in public with her when she has these out-of-control kids with her...

Man, this scares me! I also have a strong dislike for weak-ass parents who don't parent their children. DON'T have them if you can't raise them properly. UGH.

But I got a call yesterday from my best friend that she's pregnant. I was supposed to be all "YAY!" but I couldn't help feeling like she's having kids just 'cause she wants kids. I mean, she married the first guy to go out with her (he's not NEARLY as good looking as her, but he's also WAY too nice of a person for her) and quit her job (even though she's the only one of the two with a degree) so she can be a "housewife". But she NEVER has EVER cleans ANYTHING.

I feel bad worrying and ragging on my friend all the time, she's been an ok friend to me, and has been there for me in hard times. But I hardly think she can take care of herself, HOW will she be able to care for another human being? Let alone raise it properly?

She spends all her time playing World of Warcraft and writing fanfiction (Not even her own characters), and it really, sincerely scares me to think she's going to be a parent.

And they want, like, 4 kids. *somehow thankful I'll be moving to LA in a couple of years*
th_dunno.gif
Why is it that people think just because they CAN do something, that they should??

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Fate
I agree...I'd probably be the same way if I had kids. I've always been against guns but now I am looking at buying a handgun and getting a license to carry.

My brother was going to get me a high end taser for Christmas, but my dad said ABSOLUTELY NOT.
sigh.gif

Professor Fate

Quote:
My brother was going to get me a high end taser for Christmas, but my dad said ABSOLUTELY NOT.
sigh.gif

Good, that gives you a reason to go buy a .45.
thmbup.gif

labellavita7

I HATE HEELIES

At my old job at a movie theater, there was a ramp going up to the hallway, and kids would always FLY down and every single time I would pray for them to fall. Not only would it make my work day a lot more fun, they'd fucking realize they shouldn't be flying through a theater full of people OR around a corner where they can't see anything. I want to put a stick down like in Big Daddy just to watch them go.

Professor Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by labellavita7
I HATE HEELIES

At my old job at a movie theater, there was a ramp going up to the hallway, and kids would always FLY down and every single time I would pray for them to fall. Not only would it make my work day a lot more fun, they'd fucking realize they shouldn't be flying through a theater full of people OR around a corner where they can't see anything. I want to put a stick down like in Big Daddy just to watch them go.

Dumbest things ever. Grow up and ride a skateboard, SISSIES.

elegant-one

OMG...Shimmer I LOVE this post! I only wish it could be like a tv commercial or something for the broader public to hear
smiles.gif

After a hard work week, hubby decided we needed to get out for lunch & the mall on Sunday...what a mistake! I couldn't wait to get back to the peace of my home. I am so unbelievably sick of idiot parents & their kids that I told my hubby I was going to write a rant just like this post.

I'm so sick of hearing your kids scream in public. I don't give a crap if its your cute little baby - I don't want to hear it...& for like a half hour especially when we're at dinner. I always say out loud that "we must be at chucky cheese" & "can you teach your child an indoor voice"

The parents NEVER deal with them! And, if you take your brats to the mall, DON'T let them walk around & through the stores with a big gulp cup of pop! We were walking past a store & this little 3-4 year old comes walking out of the store, falls and his big gulp pop flies all over the store, the floor...and yes all over my newly washed jeans!!!

And to finish my rant...PLEASE just stop having soooo many kids...you can't take care of them. And, then you bitch & complain that you don't have any money and want us the taxpayers to fork over ours...NO WAAAY! STOP breeding!

*feels better now* Thanks a ton for saying this Shimmer!!!!!!!!

And, BTW we raised a very energetic son...and we never had these issues. He knew what was acceptable and what was not.

purrtykitty

See, I'm conflicted on this issue, because I know there are an assload of parents out there that just sit back and let the chips fall where they may, but I also think there are an assload of kids who are just assholes. Take my sister and me for example. We are five years apart, me being the oldest (just us two). She's one of "those" kids, while I think I turned out pretty decent (not to toot my own horn, or anything). Sure I had my moments, but what toddler/kid doesn't? Hell, I still occasionally have my "moments". My sister, on the other hand, has one at least once a day, if not more...it's like she's in permanent PMS-mode. She yells, curses, argues with my parents...you name it, she does it. All while sponging off them, living at home (although to her credit, she did just recently get her first job at the ripe old age of 21 and she is in school full-time, if you count failing 1/2 her classes full-time).

Now, why did we turn out so differently being we had the same parents? Well by the time my sister came along, my mother was just plain exhausted, not because I wore her out (I did, but only a little) but because she has post-polio syndrome (if you don't know what it is, look it up...it's quite unpleasant). By the time she would get home from work, it was all she could do to make it to her bed to crash for the night, and that's if she didn't have to run me or my sister around town to our various activities. My dad, he worked nights, so he wasn't around.

I don't fault either of my parents because they did the best they could under the circumstances. When we were younger, if we were bad, we got swatted on the butt and/or put in time-out. When we got older, we lost privileges. By the time my mother really wore out (before she went on FT disability) my sister was definitely old enough to know how to act properly, but she ended up taking full advantage of the fact that she could get away with murder because she knew that if she pushed hard enough, my mother would be too tired to push back, so she'd get her way.

Basically, I agree with everything that's been said, especially in the specific situations presented. But bear in mind, it may not always be the fault of the parents because there may be circumstances beyond their control (i.e. disabled parent or child)...or the kid could just genuinely be an asshole.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by labellavita7
I HATE HEELIES

Throw crumbs or popcorn all over the floor. They can't skate over it.

Professor Fate

Quote:
Throw crumbs or popcorn all over the floor. They can't skate over it.

lol.gif

Yes! Do it and post video of kids falling on their faces.
tong.gif

lizardprincesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KT*
OMFG, yes! Especially to the heelies. Just yesterday, I saw a store employee at Costco stop a kid with heelies who was zipping down the aisles and ask him "Ok, where's your mom?" She hauled his butt back to his mother and told her that he had to stay with her at all times and that they didn't want to catch him "skating down the aisles". As tempting as it was, I didn't cheer... at least not out loud.

amen
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KT*
We had a kid in the office last week who screamed the whole time they were trying on glasses. He gave me a headache from behind the closed doors of my office. Literally screamed for like 20 minutes. The poor optician couldn't even lean towards him without him screaming bloody murder. The mom says, "Oh, he does this all the time." and then later says, "So is this like your first time helping a crying child?" Told her she should have responded, "I've just never helped Damien get new glasses." And no, he wasn't a special needs child, perfectly normal if you don't count being satan spawn.

Not all children who have special needs misbehave, as not all children who don't have special needs behave. Children are children. My son has special needs, but he won't act that way in public.

btw...He is a child who was born with Down's Syndrome, or he is a child who has Down's Syndrome.

This isn't so much anger, as an attempt to be an agent of change. Here is simply info, albeit pc .....& it's not directed at you,*KT*, nor at anyone in particular. I gently corrected my own dad the other Day. We, parents of children who have special needs, are not thrilled to hear " a special needs child," nor "a Down's (Syndrome) child." It can feel as if the person is referring to a pedigree poodle...Do we call a child who's blind a "blind child" ? Probably (guilty myself, in the past). I worked for years with adolescents who were migrant farmworkers. I almost wrote "migrant farmworker adolescents." (slaps own hand)

We need to see the child/person *first,* before the differences & labels.
My seeming rant (I hope it isn't seen that way), is about *all* the 'isms'

Language/vocabulary/syntax has actually proven to change

societal attitudes in positive directions.

Please don't take my comments personally. ReallyReallyReally. I have been on a path to change the World since I was a little girl. I've seen language help...

Thanks for reading. xx
flower.gif

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardprincesa
We need to see the child/person *first,* before the differences & labels.

I'm going to have to say that not acknowledging differences within our children upfront and honestly is a HUGE problem.
Having a physical/mental handicap doesn't make a kid a bad person, nor does it make the person acknowledging that handicap a bad person.
But even Down's kids misbehave. Even ADD/ADHD (I'm sick of this excuse. I'm about as ADD as a methed out crackmonkey on a Sunday morning coming down, and it's no excuse for me, and it wasn't when I was a child.) can and should be controlled so their behaviour doesn't spill over and cause problems for random strangers in their area.

I'm not one of those parents who's going to take my kid shopping with me then get frustrated and leave my entire grocery cart in the aisle and take my child home. I don't believe in that. I believe in carting his happy butt to the bathroom and straightening him out, or leaving my basket at the desk while I take him to the car and straighten him out and head the temper fit off.

My kids aren't and never will be the ones in control of my life. I'm not a pampering parent, and I don't bubblewrap them. I refuse.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Fate
Dumbest things ever. Grow up and ride a skateboard, SISSIES.

My 7 year old is getting into skateboarding. What a hair raising experience for me. It's hard to watch and not want to stop him from getting hurt, but he's going to eventually. I have to let him do it. Getting hurt teaches him caution.

RaynelleM

Thanks for this post ... I totally agree that parents need to watch their kids more carefully, stop trying to be their kids' friend and most importantly discipline them!! I see badly behaved kids almost everyday and it’s just getting incredibly annoying. Sometimes I seriously want to just smack them myself!!
When I was a kid I would never have done half the things I see kids doing now … my parents would never have let me get away with it. For example, I was taught that I should always give up my seat on the train/bus/wherever to a grown-up, esp an elderly person. But now I see parents get on the subway with their kid and give you looks like you should get up and let the child sit down! Um, yeah I don’t think so!! Or one time there was a kid sitting next to me and he kept kicking my leg, getting dirt on my pants but his mother just ignored him and when I told him to stop she gave me a dirty look. On the other hand, I’ve also seen a parent discipline her child and another lady had the audacity to tell her she was being to strict and not to yell at the child. I think she told the woman to mind her own business which is exactly what I will be doing if anyone ever tries something like that with me when I have kids.
And as for smacking children etc., both me and my bf were beaten with belts, rulers, slippers, wooden spoons, whatever our parents could grab aside from just using their hands and I will be happy to tell you that both of us are normal functioning adults. No, our little personalities were not affected, we did not turn out to be scared individuals, afraid of our parents or the world. In fact, I’m glad my parents beat me, it made be a better person and taught me about the consequences of my actions (or in some cases inactions). When we have kids, they will be disciplined just like we were and I dare any child protection agency to try and tell me otherwise. It’s not like my parents discipline ever caused any real damage (ie. cuts, bruises, etc.), I was not beaten into a pulp, it was just a few smacks. In fact most of time my dad would complain his hand hurt!! And as my dad once said to my younger sister, after she “advised” he couldn’t smack her cuz it was against the law, “there are other countries where there’s no such law and I’ll just put you on a plane and take you there!!” LOL!! The look on her face was priceless!!
Also, I would like to say to all those parents that bring their kids to the office, there is nothing more unprofessional than being on the phone with a client only to have your 3yr old screaming in the background!! If you want to show off your kids put pictures on your desk, we do not actually want to meet them!!
ps. have any of you watched “Jon & Kate plus 8” … the parents on “Nanny 911” could learn something from them!!

elegant-one

Quote:
Even ADD/ADHD (I'm sick of this excuse. I'm about as ADD as a methed out crackmonkey on a Sunday morning coming down, and it's no excuse for me, and it wasn't when I was a child.)

th_LMAO.gif

Crackin me up!

persephonewillo

Quote:
Even ADD/ADHD (I'm sick of this excuse. I'm about as ADD as a methed out crackmonkey on a Sunday morning coming down, and it's no excuse for me, and it wasn't when I was a child.) can and should be controlled so their behaviour doesn't spill over and cause problems for random strangers in their area.

my son has to behave in public and at home, but even with the best laid out plans there is always the chance things aren't going to go well. we do our best to cope and not cause trouble for random strangers in the area. but sometimes it happens.

the general rule is that when it starts happening and he isn't able to calm down (he does sometimes, he's learning coping methods and isn't as bad as he once was) we go home. end of story. HOWEVER, there are times when we CAN'T just drop everything. there have been times at the pharmacy when i'm picking up my meds and i CAN'T leave just right at that moment that he starts. instead of people offering to help ("hey, would you like to go ahead of me so you can get out of here faster?", etc), i get evil looks and hear nasty comments. never to my face, mind you... always in the passive aggressive manner of a snide remark to someone else within my earshot. you know, as if i don't KNOW my child is on the verge of a breakdown in the middle of a public space. as if i'm not already trying to calm him down so that we can get through the next 4 minutes without more trouble. the reactions from strangers are sometimes in worse behaviour than my son's. but they are accepted, even encouraged. why is that? and if i mention ADD/ADHD there is the stigma of using it as an "excuse".

i can't keep him locked up in the house because there is the chance he might disturb a stranger with his behaviours. he can't learn to cope and calm down if he is hidden away from the world. where is the win in this situation?

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by persephonewillo
my son has to behave in public and at home, but even with the best laid out plans there is always the chance things aren't going to go well. we do our best to cope and not cause trouble for random strangers in the area. but sometimes it happens.

the general rule is that when it starts happening and he isn't able to calm down (he does sometimes, he's learning coping methods and isn't as bad as he once was) we go home. end of story. HOWEVER, there are times when we CAN'T just drop everything. there have been times at the pharmacy when i'm picking up my meds and i CAN'T leave just right at that moment that he starts. instead of people offering to help ("hey, would you like to go ahead of me so you can get out of here faster?", etc), i get evil looks and hear nasty comments. never to my face, mind you... always in the passive aggressive manner of a snide remark to someone else within my earshot. you know, as if i don't KNOW my child is on the verge of a breakdown in the middle of a public space. as if i'm not already trying to calm him down so that we can get through the next 4 minutes without more trouble. the reactions from strangers are sometimes in worse behaviour than my son's. but they are accepted, even encouraged. why is that? and if i mention ADD/ADHD there is the stigma of using it as an "excuse".

i can't keep him locked up in the house because there is the chance he might disturb a stranger with his behaviours. he can't learn to cope and calm down if he is hidden away from the world. where is the win in this situation?

I'll be honest, there isn't one. Fact of the matter is kids are kids, and they're going to do what kids do, regardless of or because of, any handicaps they may have. And, I know that, I understand it, and I try my absolute best to, if not embrace it, at least remember that.

The point of my post was not to incriminate the parents who try. I can look at a child and check my watch and know, simply from having been a parent for 12 years, that a meltdown could likely ensue. I can generally read a situation and see the 'not the norm' elements of it.

Like I said, I'm not talking about those parents.

I'm talking about the ones who allow their children to open toys in the store, then demand a discount when the thing is broken because their undisciplined brat threw it against the wall.

I'm talking about the parents who allow their children to race through the stores on those fucking heelies and actually take offense when their child is asked to stop by a stranger or an employee.

I'm talking about the ones who have a child who's just screaming because s/he can, and the parent does nothing about it, doesn't even acknowledge it. The child's not throwing a temper fit, it's just screaming.

I'm talking about the parents who allow their daughters to walk around in low cut shirts, pushup bras, and super low rise jeans with their ass hanging out, and then offer the weak excuse of "I can't stop her." The FUCK you can't. Don't fucking buy it. And don't even fucking tell me that the girl does her own laundry. When you find it, bag it up and give it away and claim the tax deduction at the end of the year. "Well, if I do that she won't go to school." Then take away her stuff and make her go to school. "Well she will be really angry at me if I do." Who fucking cares? She's not in charge. She's not equipped yet to make decisions that are for her best interests. Stop enabling it.

In fact, when it comes right down to it, that's my whole point. Parents need to stop enabling this bratty behaviour. "I can't stand Heely shoes." Well, then why did you buy them for your child? "Because he wanted them and wouldn't accept no for an answer." So? He's EIGHT. Just say no. Refuse to pay for them. He'll live, and so will you.

Stop enabling this behaviour people.