I love when customers try to tell me how to do my job...

ginger9

I just wanted to shed some light on some undesirable behaviours you have all described from some of your customers. Also I am not giving excuses as I think yelling, grabbing of snapping your fingers is obviously rude.

Being Chinese-Canadian (who's grown up in North America all my life) I have some understanding as to why certain ethnic groups may yell, hiss, snap and grab and interrupt. A few years back I travelled to China and I realized NOBODY lines up for anything there!!! I was in a grocery store and attempted to by some steamed buns. Well let me tell you - everyone repeatedly butted in front of me!! Finally I had to yell (to give the clerk my order of 6 steamed buns) and shove my way through otherwise I would have been standing there for hours - bunless!!
smiles.gif

I think in a lot of countries that are densely populated and perhap of a third-world status this is how people behave to get by. I'm not saying it's right but it's reality. Perhaps next time someone behaves like this at a counter you can explain nicely how things work ie. this lady was here before you, I'll help you when it's your turn, etc. Perhaps they won't listen but at least they'll know that in North America this is how we behave.

Lastly, as to the "just looking" statement. I think in some cultures if you ask for help it is implied that you must purchase something so many people will say just looking because they are not sure if they will be making a purchase and don't want to feel badly or obligated after you help them and they don't want to buy anything.

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger9
I just wanted to shed some light on some undesirable behaviours you have all described from some of your customers. Also I am not giving excuses as I think yelling, grabbing of snapping your fingers is obviously rude.

Being Chinese-Canadian (who's grown up in North America all my life) I have some understanding as to why certain ethnic groups may yell, hiss, snap and grab and interrupt. A few years back I travelled to China and I realized NOBODY lines up for anything there!!! I was in a grocery store and attempted to by some steamed buns. Well let me tell you - everyone repeatedly butted in front of me!! Finally I had to yell (to give the clerk my order of 6 steamed buns) and shove my way through otherwise I would have been standing there for hours - bunless!!
smiles.gif

I think in a lot of countries that are densely populated and perhap of a third-world status this is how people behave to get by. I'm not saying it's right but it's reality. Perhaps next time someone behaves like this at a counter you can explain nicely how things work ie. this lady was here before you, I'll help you when it's your turn, etc. Perhaps they won't listen but at least they'll know that in North America this is how we behave.

Lastly, as to the "just looking" statement. I think in some cultures if you ask for help it is implied that you must purchase something so many people will say just looking because they are not sure if they will be making a purchase and don't want to feel badly or obligated after you help them and they don't want to buy anything.

The women who snap their fingers and hiss at us here are not what I would consider from the "third-world." These women have $25,000 Rolexes and Hermes Birkin bags. They are usually very wealthy, supposedly educated South American women who are used to calling "the hired help" that way. They see sales associates the same way...that's why we ignore them!! I guess money doesn't buy you class...

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
The women who snap their fingers and hiss at us here are not what I would consider from the "third-world." These women have $25,000 Rolexes and Hermes Birkin bags. They are usually very wealthy, supposedly educated South American women who are used to calling "the hired help" that way. They see sales associates the same way...that's why we ignore them!! I guess money doesn't buy you class...

Yep. For me it's wealthy Indian and Chinese tourists who treat SAs like dirt beneath their shoes. I have no issues with the 'just looking' folks, but I do have issues with being completely ignored, hissed at, shouted at, pushed at, whistled at and generally treated like a lower life form because I'm here to assist you (or, more often than not from a certain sliver demographic, because I'm female).

I work in a heavily tourist-trafficked area, and a fine understanding of cultural differences makes the difference between being an ok SA and being a great SA. However, it also goes the other way - if you're visiting a country with a vastly different culture to your own, then it shouldn't be a surprise when people expect you to make a token gesture towards behaving in a manner that's in line with that country. If in India it's common to push to the head of the line and service is issued to the person who shouts loudest and physically grabs the SA first, then fine. Do that in India to your heart's content, but that shit just doesn't fly in Australia. Make a small concession and modify your behaviour ever-so slightly so you're not being a total jackass in this particular context, and we'll all get along famously. When in _______, do as the ________'s do and don't act like an obnoxious dick.

ginger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
However, it also goes the other way - if you're visiting a country with a vastly different culture to your own, then it shouldn't be a surprise when people expect you to make a token gesture towards behaving in a manner that's in line with that country. If in India it's common to push to the head of the line and service is issued to the person who shouts loudest and physically grabs the SA first, then fine. Do that in India to your heart's content, but that shit just doesn't fly in Australia. Make a small concession and modify your behaviour ever-so slightly so you're not being a total jackass in this particular context, and we'll all get along famously. When in _______, do as the ________'s do and don't act like an obnoxious dick.

iagree.gif
I totally hear you. My mom works in retail sales and she tells about this kind of behaviour all the time. I really hope these tourists or newly landed immigrants will somehow realize this type of behaviour really isn't what civilized people do. I have to admit, although I enjoyed my visit to Asia, I could never live there long term. I was SO glad to be back home, where people said please and thank you and everyone lined up for everything
smiles.gif
I just about kissed the floor when I arrived at the airport!

ginger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000

Oh damn, that's just about the worst kind. I can see how rudeness is born of ignorance or crude upbringing but wealthy, privileged people should know better. You're right money doesn't buy class. That totally blows...I'm really sorry you guys have to put up with this shit
ssad.gif

Fearnotsomuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodMittens
Actually, at Victoria's Secret, they are not allowed to shop in the drawers either. You know, the bottom drawers where everything is? Yeah... not allowed, I actually get really pissy when people do this, if you need something, ASK, don't go rummaging around the drawer that took me 6 hours to organize with our makeup.

Victoria's Secret Beauty is hell. I will state that right now. I don't get CRAZY customers, but I do get mean ones.

<<~~joins you in the hells of VSB... or the entire store in general! People can be just so DUMB sometimes. It baffles me.. :confused: I LOVE the "Hi how are you?" "No thanks" I used to get pissed, but now I just laugh.

*jumping of the beauty boat for a minute*

"I have my free panty coupon"
Me: "Here's the styles and colors that you can select them"
"Well I don't like those, can I just get something else?"

IT'S FREE... STOP WHINING AND PICK UP YOUR DAMN UNDERWEAR!

righteothen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnotsomuch

Hehehe, I've seen that sooo many times. It's free, you aren't paying for it, if you don't like it, leave it there for someone who might.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Yep. For me it's wealthy Indian and Chinese tourists who treat SAs like dirt beneath their shoes. I have no issues with the 'just looking' folks, but I do have issues with being completely ignored, hissed at, shouted at, pushed at, whistled at and generally treated like a lower life form because I'm here to assist you (or, more often than not from a certain sliver demographic, because I'm female).

I work in a heavily tourist-trafficked area, and a fine understanding of cultural differences makes the difference between being an ok SA and being a great SA. However, it also goes the other way - if you're visiting a country with a vastly different culture to your own, then it shouldn't be a surprise when people expect you to make a token gesture towards behaving in a manner that's in line with that country. If in India it's common to push to the head of the line and service is issued to the person who shouts loudest and physically grabs the SA first, then fine. Do that in India to your heart's content, but that shit just doesn't fly in Australia. Make a small concession and modify your behaviour ever-so slightly so you're not being a total jackass in this particular context, and we'll all get along famously. When in _______, do as the ________'s do and don't act like an obnoxious dick.

Exactly. Do you see other people snapping, shouting, whistling, hurling insults and foaming at the mouth because I could only say hello and that I be with you as soon as I could? Didn't think so. When I encounter behavior like this I suddenly develop a "hearing problem".

pixichik77

Good lord, I don't even know where to BEGIN....

The 8 year old and ten year old girls who walked up to the counter, poking their fingers in everything, and shouting at me before I could get near them, "Are these like, tries?? Can we like, use them? Can we get like, a FREE makeup?

The 4 year old I saw out of the corner of my eye (while working with another customer) picking up a lipstick on display and shoving it (open and twisted up) into her pocket while her mother was looking at purses (when I got her mom to check her pockets, we discovered she had also snagged herself an eyeshadow).

The women who walk by and say loudly to each other, "Bobbi Brown? Since when did HE sell makeup?"

The women who walk up to the counter and say, "Do you sell makeup for black people?" (ya, we get this too) Or when I ask someone if I can show them anything they say accusingly, "Oh no, this stuff is only for white people/black people/old people/young people." Yes, because our products come with labels prohibiting me to sell them to YOU.

I also love when I walk up to a person and cheerfully ask if I can help them, the turn and walk away like they never heard me. We joke that we like to chase our customers away.

Our counter is away from the others, in the center of the store, and apperently there is an invisibe sign above us that reads, "INFORMATION DESK." I have been doing a makeup application, speaking to a customer, and a shopper has walked around the counter, between me and the customer, and interrupted me to ask where the bathrooms/mall/shoes are. Typically I ignore the interloper, turn to the customer and say, "Do you mind if I help this person for a moment?" and then pintedly turn and say, "I'm sorry, what was your question?" People have no shame.

The other employees in the store who on lunch break started bitching about how impossibly overdressed and too good looking all the cosmetics girls were, wearing stilettos and our hair all overdone so that we are intimidating customers, flaunting our good looks so that no one can even begin to look like us (no joke) in front of my boss and the manager of the Origins counter. My boss finally turned to her and said," I know! I try to hire fat ugly girls, but the pretty ones won't go away!" The cluless employee still didn't realize who she was complaining to, and for the record, my boss is overweight (but gorgeous and amazing)

But the WORST, EVER thing I have EVER encountered is the numerous women who out of nowhere while we are discussing makeup suddenly say to me, "oh, and when ARE you due?" I am in no way pregnant, nor do I look it, and most seam to be unapologetic when they are corrected. next time, I'm saying it's a tumor, biotch.

BloodMittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnotsomuch
<<~~joins you in the hells of VSB... or the entire store in general! People can be just so DUMB sometimes. It baffles me.. :confused: I LOVE the "Hi how are you?" "No thanks" I used to get pissed, but now I just laugh.

*jumping of the beauty boat for a minute*

Oh my god I KNOW!

I don't wanna boast and say I'm an awesome sales associate, but I have been there for more than a year with no complaints, so yeah, I'm not the one getting you mad lady.

Do you remember the stand that had the roatating bra in it? It was electrical and was very fragile. Well it seemed that every single DAMNED customer had to go and grab that bra, knock it on the floor, not pick it up, knock the whole damned stand down and walk out. And I was like... HELLO!? Are we 4 years old where we HAVE to touch everything?

I also noticed the rich tourist thing. Have you also noticed those rich men that come in and look for a "good" time? That is so creepy. Maybe it's because I'm only 19, but I had a guy come in the other day and whisper to me
"Are you single?"
"No, I'm engaged."
"Oh... why are all the beautiful ones taken?"
And then he smiled this really creepy smile, and the worst part was his wife was with him IN THE SAME ROOM. So he tried to strike up a conversation with me, and I ended up paging my manager and leaving the room because I was freaked out.

And this happens every week. It's like... this is Victoria's Secret, not a strip club, you cannot pick me out of a room and have me be your friend and hang out with you. CREEPY.

This is why I am so happy I got a job offer at Ulta until I can get into MAC. I can't STAND working in the mall anymore!

Endrant.

Ella_

Where I work we had to glue our display brushes down onto a black acrylic block to deter sticky fingers. Only yesterday that didnt stop one determined clepto. This woman tried to remove the kabuki we had on the display and when she couldnt take it off I saw her PICK UP THE DISPLAY AND PLACE IT INTO HER MESSENGER BAG!!

When I asked to check her bag she opened it and said 'Oh my, how on earth did that get there?'. I asked for the display back and told her that if she wanted to purchase a brush she was more than welcome to, but please dont take our displays.

goink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixichik77
The women who walk by and say loudly to each other, "Bobbi Brown? Since when did HE sell makeup?"

lmao.gif
I actually laughed out loud.

Love Always Ivy

Quote:
Oh my god I KNOW!
And then he smiled this really creepy smile, and the worst part was his wife was with him IN THE SAME ROOM. So he tried to strike up a conversation with me, and I ended up paging my manager and leaving the room because I was freaked out.

i HATE the creepy men who like wink at you and their wife is right there.... so creepy. i hate men who wink.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy
i HATE the creepy men who like wink at you and their wife is right there.... so creepy. i hate men who wink.

Or the ones who think it's hilarious to nudge their wife and ask me if I can 'do anything to make her look better'.
th_loser.gif

Guess you're not getting laid for the rest of the week, weirdo!

BloodMittens

Quote:
Or the ones who think it's hilarious to nudge their wife and ask me if I can 'do anything to make her look better'.
th_loser.gif

Guess you're not getting laid for the rest of the week, weirdo!

I would smack my man if he did that. o_O; What losers!

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Oh my god I KNOW!

I don't wanna boast and say I'm an awesome sales associate, but I have been there for more than a year with no complaints, so yeah, I'm not the one getting you mad lady.

Do you remember the stand that had the roatating bra in it? It was electrical and was very fragile. Well it seemed that every single DAMNED customer had to go and grab that bra, knock it on the floor, not pick it up, knock the whole damned stand down and walk out. And I was like... HELLO!? Are we 4 years old where we HAVE to touch everything?

I also noticed the rich tourist thing. Have you also noticed those rich men that come in and look for a "good" time? That is so creepy. Maybe it's because I'm only 19, but I had a guy come in the other day and whisper to me
"Are you single?"
"No, I'm engaged."
"Oh... why are all the beautiful ones taken?"

And this happens every week. It's like... this is Victoria's Secret, not a strip club, you cannot pick me out of a room and have me be your friend and hang out with you. CREEPY.

This is why I am so happy I got a job offer at Ulta until I can get into MAC. I can't STAND working in the mall anymore!

Endrant.

It gets worse when you're a 'MAC Girl'....I don't go through a week without a visit from one of my stalkers (or w/o getting a new one) Ugh!

BloodMittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
It gets worse when you're a 'MAC Girl'....I don't go through a week without a visit from one of my stalkers (or w/o getting a new one) Ugh!

Yes. But it seems with men they are more inclined to come at you when you work at a lingerie store rather than makeup.

Makeup is normally like mosquito spray to them and lingerie is sexiiiness to them..

Ugh... one of my co-workers told me that she got a sugar daddy from working at that job for so long. Gross >_<

smellyocheese

Quote:
And the "Organic" freak. She ONLY wants things that are organic. We have two or three organic skincare lines, and as far as I know, there are no certified organic makeup lines, and if there are, we don't sell them. I mentioned to her that Bare Minerals would probably be the closest thing we have to being organic. So she reads the ingredients...
"Titanium Dioxide? Mica?? These aren't natural or organic ingredients you have no idea what you're talking about."
"Actually those are minerals, Titanium Dioxide is the mineral that accounts for the natural SPF in the product."
"Titanium Dioxide is a CHEMICAL, I know that for a FACT."
"Actually it's also a mineral, it's used in the majority of skincare and makeup products to give them color."
"No, no, you're wrong it's a chemical. And all these other ingredients are commonly known preservatives."
"Okay, well, if you're not interested that's alright. Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you."
"I don't think there is, but thanks anyway."

LOL!!! I can totally relate to this. I get SOO annoyed when customers come in telling me that she only wants to use natural products with no chemicals. HELLO! even water is a chemical so u better not use water to wash your face. and the air that your skin is exposed to everyday? guess wht? chemicals. hahaha. they're ridiculous sometimes. and the preservatives thing. ANY store-bought cosmetic will have preservatives. you gotta make your own cosmetic if you want it free of preservative. another funny thing is that the customer expects a shelf life or 2 years for her cosmetics without preservatives. eck...

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella_
...Only yesterday that didnt stop one determined clepto. This woman tried to remove the kabuki we had on the display and when she couldnt take it off I saw her PICK UP THE DISPLAY AND PLACE IT INTO HER MESSENGER BAG!!

When I asked to check her bag she opened it and said 'Oh my, how on earth did that get there?'. I asked for the display back and told her that if she wanted to purchase a brush she was more than welcome to, but please dont take our displays.

Are you serious!? This is INSANE!!!
icon_eek.gif

And "how on earth did that get there!?" I'd have been speechless!!!! Does she expect you to believe that displays often jump into her bag???
lol.gif