I love when customers try to tell me how to do my job...

ballerino

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukiyomi
Hahaha, customers who know it all. Sorry you have to deal with that.
ssad.gif

But, I wanted to let you know that Titanium Dioxide is a chemical. Mica is a mineral but you were half right.
smiles.gif

http://www.ilo.org/public/english/pr...3/icsc0338.htm

lets get this right people...
a chemical is not a bad thing, in fact technically EVERYTHING is made of chemicals, the whole world is made of chemicals. chemical is the name for which things are made of, its often misused as describing something toxic or bad for you. im no science buff, but that was the one thing i did learn in yr 10 science!

i just started on a lancome counter here in australia, and already im experiencing what u ladies describe here!

- i absolutely HATE when u get this response when saying hello or how are u: customer continues looking down and mumbling hi under their breath while shoving their dirty little fingers in the eyeshadow and bashing the lipstick across the back of their hand (WTF IS WITH THAT! BE GENTLE U MINDLESS WHORE!)
OR
without even finishing the sentence of: hi there how....IM JUST LOOKING!
MY GOSH CHILL BITCH! surely they know its just courtesy! u enter my counter, im going to say hello! whether i need ur sales or not, im a staff member in this counter, and im going to say hello!

As a consumer/shopper, i feel much better once an assistant says hello, sure i hate being hassled, and i hate knowing theyre just trying to sell to me, but if i walk in and the assistant ignores me, i bitterly walk out, stores have lost alot of my sales for that reason. acknowledge the customer, leave them for a bit, ask if they need assistance and if they reply with resistance, leave them some more, or if they need helo give it to them, ITS SIMPLE!

and the organic people, ive encountered one, who drilled me with question regarding the ingredients..

"are ur products tested on animals?"
"no they most certainly aren't"
pause as she rubs her dirty, filthy fingernailed fingers into a mousse blush
"how do you know they arent tested on animals?" (said rudely)
"because it was something we discussed in training, and as far as im aware, almost no big brand tests on animals these days anymore"
"well u never know" "what about petrochemicals, do u use them?"
she says this as she pulls out her own filthy cheap blush brush, dips into the translucent powder tester which is now all over the display and brushes it all over her oily face"
"well as far as im aware, no, but im no chemist im only a MUA, so youre very welcome to read the chemicals on the carton ma'am"
"no thats fine, this powder is shit anyway forget it"
and she walked away!
well the powder is clearly shit now that we have no way of sanitizing the whole jar of it after u shoved ur infested brush in it u smelly mole.

my 2 cents worth!
x

MAC_Whore

SCENE: Me matching up client and applying foundation....

Client: "I noticed that you only put the foundation on my face. I used to sell Mary Kay. I know that you should carry it all the way down to the bottom of the neck so it blends in."

Me: (As I walk her over to the lighted mirror) "If you look at your jawline, you can't see any line of demarcation. This is a great match for you. MAC has a pretty extensive range of colours."

Client: "Well, could you find a colour with a bit more orange in it? It makes me look healthier."

She actually said she wanted to look oranger.
icon_eek.gif

So to recap, we should have slathered her with orange-toned foundation to her decolletage. Yeeeeeah. Riiiiiiight.

Kiseki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
SCENE: Me matching up client and applying foundation....

Client: "Well, could you find a colour with a bit more orange in it? It makes me look healthier."

She actually said she wanted to look oranger.
icon_eek.gif

So to recap, we should have slathered her with orange-toned foundation to her decolletage. Yeeeeeah. Riiiiiiight.

I've gotten that one way too many times before and it always makes me gawk.

ballerino

client: you there, can u match a foundation colour for me? (no hello, please help me with this..that'd be to courteous!)

me: sure, what kind of foundation are u interested in?

client: i dunno u tell me ur the makeup artist!

me: ok well you seem to have oily skin, so that moisturising foundation there u have in your hand is probably not going to suit you, how about this one?

client: no i want to try this one my friend said it was nice

me: well its possible your friend has dry skin which this would be great for but for yourself not so great

client: well can i try it out and work that out for myself?

me
ssad.gif
in my head: sure, i mean i dont know a fucking thing about lancome foundations) ok sure, come take a seat (picks out colours that may suit, trys one out on hand in front of customer)

client: NO WAY! That is far too yellow! Im pink toned (she is CLEARLY yellow, in fact more so than most people i know, almost jauntus!!)

me: no mam your actually more off a yellow base like this one, lets try it on

client: no im not, im pink, id know

ANYWAY it went on like this until she insisted the pink based foundation, the one that made her look gaunt and dead, was right for her. So she bought it.

Im glad i could put my expertise to use...

ms.marymac

Today=Why why why...

Her-"I can't tell I'm wearing anything."
Me:"Yes, I think it's a great match"
Her: "I can still see my skin."
hmm.gif

Me: "Let's get powder and blush on, and maybe a gloss...so you can see the finished look-maybe that will help?"
Her: NO. When I wear makeup I usually JUST wear foundation, and it LOOKS like I have it on. "
Me: *piling more SFF on* "Is that better?"
Her: NO.

Me: *Needs a trowel?*

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
Today=Why why why...

Her-"I can't tell I'm wearing anything."
Me:"Yes, I think it's a great match"
Her: "I can still see my skin."
hmm.gif

Me: "Let's get powder and blush on, and maybe a gloss...so you can see the finished look-maybe that will help?"
Her: NO. When I wear makeup I usually JUST wear foundation, and it LOOKS like I have it on. "
Me: *piling more SFF on* "Is that better?"
Her: NO.

Me: *Needs a trowel?*

Oh, I get these all the time. When they tell me that they can still see their skin, I very gently remind them that it's supposed to look like skin, not like a mask (I say it to them in a very friendly, funny way and they usually get it...after about the 6th time of explaining that you're not supposed to see your foundation). Then, they ask me how I get my foundation to look so smooth and flawless...and why theirs never looks that way. Didn;t they just say that they LIKED for the foundation to show? Argh!

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
Oh, I get these all the time. When they tell me that they can still see their skin, I very gently remind them that it's supposed to look like skin, not like a mask (I say it to them in a very friendly, funny way and they usually get it...after about the 6th time of explaining that you're not supposed to see your foundation). Then, they ask me how I get my foundation to look so smooth and flawless...and why theirs never looks that way. Didn;t they just say that they LIKED for the foundation to show? Argh!

Yes, I tried the friendly reminder that foundation should look natural, didn't help. I guess some people are set in their ways. After my suggestion, a friendly reminder up of her preferences would have been fine with me, but she was AGGRO.
lol.gif
I was thisclose to handing her the brush.

MAC_Pixie04

This one was awesome!

Okay, so a few weeks ago my whole goddamn county was on fire. It was creeping closer to the area where I work, and the smoke was horrific and we are an outdoor mall. So a Westfield concierge comes in around 5:30 and announces that the entire mall will be closing at 6pm sharp and that people should get going so that they don't congest the roads to emergency workers.
So it's like 5:55 and these two girls are still here. One is nice and she's obviously ready to go, but her friend sucks. She tells her friend "They're trying to close, hurry up." And the chick goes "So?" and rolls her eyes. I'm thinking "Hey you bitch, I'd like to get home and make sure I still have a home. Cosmetics aren't a necessity during a state of emergency." So she comes up to me with a few foundation bottles and asks me if I can help her find one that matches her skin.

So her skin...her face is RED. Like sunburnt, beet red, and her body is a beige/yellow complexion. I find out from my skincare lead who has helped her before that she's using Retin-A, Accutane, and she tans...but claims to be allergic to sunscreen, so her skin is fucking jacked up. Rough to the touch, flaky all over, red and scaly. So I started using what we call "softeners." I asked her if she wanted one with SPF, she said no, so to reaffirm the importance of SPF I asked if she was using one, she said that she was allergic. I asked her how her skin felt and what kind of product she was lookin for. She rolled her eyes at me and asked why that mattered, and I told her that I just needed to get an idea of her skin type so that I could find an appropriate foundation that would work with her skin and not irritate her.

Then, I try to match her foundation to her neck. I choose a NARS one that looks AMAZING, like if she put it on and set it with a good powder, you'd never know she looked like a fucking tomato. She says "It's too yellow, I don't like it." So i striped her with a few more, all of which would have helped to adjust the horrific contrast between her face and neck, and she says they're all too yellow. So I explain my strategy, I tell her "Well, I'm looking for a good match between your face and neck so that it won't look like you're wearing foundation." She throws her hands up in the air and practically screams "I don't care what my neck looks like!" At this point I don't wanna help her anymore, and she doesn't want my help, so I hand her a few sponges and let her know to come to me if she has any questions. By this time it's 6:05 and she should have been long gone, we couldn't close up so I started cleaning to give her the hint. I made small talk with a guy I work with and started gathering brushes and testers to put away.

I guess she ventured to the back and asked someone else for help and found a foundation (which she returned 3 days later and the cycle repeated). When the cashier asked if she found everything okay (standard register conversation) she goes "I guess. That black girl up at the front didn't help me at all. She just kept striping yellow foundations on me, then walked away and started flirting with that guy." My manager had already witnessed her less than classy behavior with me, and disregarded the comment, as she'd helped her before. She left at 6:10, I said goodnight to her and she rolled her eyes. I wanted to throttle the red-faced cow but I'm a classy lady.

So two nights ago...
We have a shitload of new seasonal hires right now, and one of them just happened to be in the path of Mrs. Tomatohead looking for a new blush. She wants a scarlet red blush. I made a few suggestions over our headsets for the girl to show her, and she kept reiterating that she wanted her blush blood red (Her face is blood red, so maybe she thought of using it as foundation?) She got fed up with my colleague trying to help her, asked to borrow a brush and went on her way. She put on NARS Exhibit A and MUFE A#99 (BLOOD RED EYESHADOW/BLUSH) and walked around the store. She kept asking different people which one looked better and everybody responded "They're a little too red...." or something else very polite but "Na uh girl take that shit off." Did I mention the whole time she's walking around talking to us, she's cramming See's chocolates and Subway cookies into her mouth? Spitting crumbs and shit everywhere...I was disgusted.

I crammed a lot of sunblock samples into her bag
smiles.gif

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
This one was awesome!

Okay, so a few weeks ago my whole goddamn county was on fire. It was creeping closer to the area where I work, and the smoke was horrific and we are an outdoor mall. So a Westfield concierge comes in around 5:30 and announces that the entire mall will be closing at 6pm sharp and that people should get going so that they don't congest the roads to emergency workers.
So it's like 5:55 and these two girls are still here. One is nice and she's obviously ready to go, but her friend sucks. She tells her friend "They're trying to close, hurry up." And the chick goes "So?" and rolls her eyes. I'm thinking "Hey you bitch, I'd like to get home and make sure I still have a home. Cosmetics aren't a necessity during a state of emergency." So she comes up to me with a few foundation bottles and asks me if I can help her find one that matches her skin.

So her skin...her face is RED. Like sunburnt, beet red, and her body is a beige/yellow complexion. I find out from my skincare lead who has helped her before that she's using Retin-A, Accutane, and she tans...but claims to be allergic to sunscreen, so her skin is fucking jacked up. Rough to the touch, flaky all over, red and scaly. So I started using what we call "softeners." I asked her if she wanted one with SPF, she said no, so to reaffirm the importance of SPF I asked if she was using one, she said that she was allergic. I asked her how her skin felt and what kind of product she was lookin for. She rolled her eyes at me and asked why that mattered, and I told her that I just needed to get an idea of her skin type so that I could find an appropriate foundation that would work with her skin and not irritate her.

Then, I try to match her foundation to her neck. I choose a NARS one that looks AMAZING, like if she put it on and set it with a good powder, you'd never know she looked like a fucking tomato. She says "It's too yellow, I don't like it." So i striped her with a few more, all of which would have helped to adjust the horrific contrast between her face and neck, and she says they're all too yellow. So I explain my strategy, I tell her "Well, I'm looking for a good match between your face and neck so that it won't look like you're wearing foundation." She throws her hands up in the air and practically screams "I don't care what my neck looks like!" At this point I don't wanna help her anymore, and she doesn't want my help, so I hand her a few sponges and let her know to come to me if she has any questions. By this time it's 6:05 and she should have been long gone, we couldn't close up so I started cleaning to give her the hint. I made small talk with a guy I work with and started gathering brushes and testers to put away.

I guess she ventured to the back and asked someone else for help and found a foundation (which she returned 3 days later and the cycle repeated). When the cashier asked if she found everything okay (standard register conversation) she goes "I guess. That black girl up at the front didn't help me at all. She just kept striping yellow foundations on me, then walked away and started flirting with that guy." My manager had already witnessed her less than classy behavior with me, and disregarded the comment, as she'd helped her before. She left at 6:10, I said goodnight to her and she rolled her eyes. I wanted to throttle the red-faced cow but I'm a classy lady.

So two nights ago...
We have a shitload of new seasonal hires right now, and one of them just happened to be in the path of Mrs. Tomatohead looking for a new blush. She wants a scarlet red blush. I made a few suggestions over our headsets for the girl to show her, and she kept reiterating that she wanted her blush blood red (Her face is blood red, so maybe she thought of using it as foundation?) She got fed up with my colleague trying to help her, asked to borrow a brush and went on her way. She put on NARS Exhibit A and MUFE A#99 (BLOOD RED EYESHADOW/BLUSH) and walked around the store. She kept asking different people which one looked better and everybody responded "They're a little too red...." or something else very polite but "Na uh girl take that shit off." Did I mention the whole time she's walking around talking to us, she's cramming See's chocolates and Subway cookies into her mouth? Spitting crumbs and shit everywhere...I was disgusted.

smiles.gif

Eek! But to her defense (partially lol) I'm allergic to octinoxate (Octyl methoxycinnamate) which is in most products with SPF. I found that the Juice Beauty moisturizers with SPF and a good find I found at CVS called Skin Effects by Dr. Jeffry Dover has sun protection and no octinoxate (which is sooo rare). I also use mineral foundation, but not Bare Minerals because I'm allergic to bismuth oxychloride too.

goldenchild

This is such a great topic! What can I say? Well, I do work in retail (not cosmetics but I do sell sunglasses) and they really stress the importance of customer servce.

Today, I had the customer from hell! He bought a pair of shades and he wanted a full cash return without the receipt. Of course, we don't offer that type of return, then proceeds to call me names and bullies me to call a mangager because I wasn't giving him his way. La de da. Threatens me by telling he'll report me to coporate because I won't do the return or call me managers because they're off. What a retard! Karma's a bitch and I know eventually something will happen to him because he was such an ass!

The joys of working retail! With Xmas & Black Friday coming up there's going to be more of those crazy customers who want to get their way! Cheers!

Debbie

...I work in corporate Human Resources, and have been in this field for about 5 years or so. This function probably ties with IT as being predominantly service oriented. Believe it or not, the most condescending employees are....*drumrolls*, admin assistants. The worst are executive assistants. Not the Senior VPS, not the Presidents, not the top earning Sales person...but rather the assistants. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against them, just the ones who ride on their executive's/bosses' coattails and think they know more than you.

There was an issue with an employee who couldn't start yet (totally the bosses/executive's fault). Anyway, the assistant called initially to report the issue, but since she didn't have clearance, I'd have to work directly with the manager, which I told her. So I worked it out with the manager...done deal. The assistant calls back wanted to know the status which I told her its been squared away with the manager. She demanded to know why she wasn't kept in the loop, and demanded that any time there's issues, she be included on the email. Lol...I laughed in my head and told her that's upon her manager not me. Hello...who the hell are you? This is the same person who calls and while I take a moment to check out information on the HRIS system...she ALWAYS mutters "Ugh...HR never knows what they're doing". When things don't go her way.."I'm going to have my VP discuss this with your VP". Lol... for a second I'm so offended that she's talking down on me...but then I remember that what got me into this corporate world was my bachelor's degree for my then job, (I now have a job which requires a master's degree, and yes I recently graduated with an MBA). But apparently, this executive assistant thinks she could my job better. Ugh..

glam8babe

Quote:
This one was awesome!

So two nights ago...

smiles.gif

HAHAHA!!!that was funny! i can imagine her face being like this >
angry.gif
or maybe even this >
girl_devil.gif

Winthrop44

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam8babe
HAHAHA!!!that was funny! i can imagine her face being like this >
angry.gif
or maybe even this >
girl_devil.gif

Well....as someone with rosacea (luckily mine is under control but I know other folks who really suffer with it, and it doesn't only look bad, it burns) I can't find the tomato-related comments or burning red emoticons overly funny, but she was obviously an inconsiderate and impossible-to-please customer.

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
Eek! But to her defense (partially lol) I'm allergic to octinoxate (Octyl methoxycinnamate) which is in most products with SPF. I found that the Juice Beauty moisturizers with SPF and a good find I found at CVS called Skin Effects by Dr. Jeffry Dover has sun protection and no octinoxate (which is sooo rare). I also use mineral foundation, but not Bare Minerals because I'm allergic to bismuth oxychloride too.

I don't think she can be defended lol; if she's using these products and knows she can't use sunscreen, then she shouldn't be tanning.

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winthrop44
Well....as someone with rosacea (luckily mine is under control but I know other folks who really suffer with it, and it doesn't only look bad, it burns) I can't find the tomato-related comments or burning red emoticons overly funny, but she was obviously an inconsiderate and impossible-to-please customer.

It's one thing to have rosacea, because that's not something that can be controlled, meaning the fact that you have it isn't your fault. This girl burned her face with products and fake tanning, therefore her tomato-red complexion was her own fault. And I shit you not she was actually tomato red, I'm not exaggerating.

I would never say these kinds of things about someone who had an ailment that they had no control over, like rosacea or someone who was a burn victim. But when you abuse your own skin that way and then simply try to cover it up by bitching out a salesperson who's trying to help you not look like a freak of nature, it's hard to feel sorry for you.

Artphr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy
TODAY i had a customer with 5 very young children. i was running around helping her with a very large purchase, when i hear crying in the opposite side of the store. i ran over and saw 3 of her young children huddled around a 4th one holding his eye and one of them was like "stupid! why'd you spray that in your eye". me and my manager started running around rinsing out the kid's eye of the purfume he sprayed... and guess what the mother did? NOTHING. she kept shopping while WE had a heart attack that HER kid might have hurt his eye. she didnt even blink. other parents in the store were helping us more than she was. that really irked me.

that's probably my top 5 least liked kind of people. i don't work at a counter (yet
tong.gif
) but at my current place of work i see moms come in ALL the time with a GILLION kids and all of them running around knocking kids over. one day, we counted how many times a shelf of stuff got knocked over and it was like 13!!!! you have got to be kidding me...

oh, and last week, these 2 hicks (sorry, man... but i had to) came in with 3 babies. well, no, 1 baby and 2 toddlers. one of the tods kept asking her mom to take her to the bathroom and to go home and whatnot, and her mom kept ignorning her, walking around and shaking her if she complaint. TWO SECONDS LATER, the damn girl puked ALL over the store. MISSILE.

THREE TIMES.

I was so pissed.... and we have half wooden floors, half carpet.... godamn i was so pissed.
then they start bitching because the bathrooms are locked (....we have BAD theft issues, and its not like you cared FOUR seconds ago, when she asked you to take her and you IGNORED HER) and all she does is go in, take out some TP and put it all over the puke.

her and her husband ran out of the store while we looked for a mop.
literally....

this whole "customer is always right" issue is getting SO out of control.

OH!!! and i don't mean to go into a ramble. but also, at my store, we keep records of people's credit cards and whatnot. i don't wanna say what it is, but i guess you can compare it to a library. you check things in, out, you have a date in which it needs to be back, and if its not back a certain ammt of days after, its yours.
total, considering grace period, guarantee time and time you have with it, it comes up to more than 6 weeks.
and i CONSTANTLY have people calling ME (as if it was ME that didn't return their crap) complaining about how we are STEALING from their bank account (read the fkin contract) and how they sware up and down that they returned it to the 'new kid' or the 'black kid'
omg. that just fires me up.

worse part is that by the end of the conversation they have realized it was THEIR mess up, and i've shut their mouth by proving them that they can't fool the system and that it's virtually impossible for mistakes to be made.

of course, they still call corporate with some excuse, wanting something free.

well, you can suck my fist and avoid my register!!!!!!!!!

sorry about the anger but all this just makes me so mad!

eponine

Quote:

Then there's the NARS lady...she works in the mall and comes in everyday on her break. She's come in everyday for the same NARS shadow, which we've been out of for what seems like months.
"Do you have this yet?"
"No, we're still sold out, but we're opening our shipment tonight. You could come back tomorrow and we'll know if we got it in."
"Well can I come back at 5:30? I work in the mall, so I can come check?"
"Unfortunately we dont open the shipment boxes until after the store is closed."
"Well can I come then?"
"No, we'll be closed but you can try back tomorrow or call and we can hold it for you."
"Well if the boxes are here can't you go look for it?"
"I really can't, there's about 85 boxes and we don't know what's in them until we open them and sort them tonight."
"Well I really need it, I need you to go check."
"I'm sorry ma'am, I really can't do that. Here's our card, you can call us tomorrow morning and someone can tell you if it arrived in shipment."
"I wanna speak to a manager."

Fine whore, speak to her, she's gonna tell you the same goddamn thing I did. Cuz I really have the time to dig through 85 boxes to find you ONE eyeshadow? Please.

So annoying. Anybody else need to gripe?

you are soooo lucky you work at sephora instead of nordstrom. i've had to rip open around 30 boxes, not find the item, and then had the customer get annoyed because they had to wait around while i looked for whatever they wanted!

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponine
you are soooo lucky you work at sephora instead of nordstrom. i've had to rip open around 30 boxes, not find the item, and then had the customer get annoyed because they had to wait around while i looked for whatever they wanted!

Thank god for inventory sheets and numbered boxes. Around Christmas I spent more time opening stock boxes ("I just need one more lipstick for Great Aunt Ethyl! If you can't find you will have ruined another Griswold family Christmas!") than I did on the sales floor!