Let's have a "What the f**k??"-Ebay thread....

MuaCat

Shipping to NC was $12.94!

I'm going to contact the seller and see if this is a 'mistake'... I'll let ya know what I find out.

smiles.gif

~Heather

MuaCat

OK, I wrote this message to the seller:

"Hello,

I checked the shipping amount on this item and the shipping calculator said it would be $12.94?! Are you really shipping this via UPS ground?

Thanks,
~Heather"

The seller replied VERY quickly: "YES."

YIKES! Why would anyone send this UPS Ground?!?!?
icon_eek.gif

caffn8me

I just went to the UPS web site and entered addresses in Illinois (Arlington Heights) and California (San Diego) and calculated shipping for a quarter pound package via UPS Ground. The cheapest it came to was $8.23 if dropped off at a UPS store and using my own packaging. No doubt if UPS collects and the seller adds the cost of the packaging it will increase the price a bit more. It's certainly not a cost effective way to deliver low value items.

For comparison, shipping by first class USPS mail which takes 3 days including insurance for up to $50 worth of merchandise would cost $2.36

dawnmelissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me

Another caveat is that although the item description says "Standard Purchase Protection Offered." you can't claim because this item is ineligible due to payment only being accepted by MoneyGram, Western Union or wire transfer. In other words, you have no safety net.

if you pay with paypal it's covered up to 200 minus a 25.00 fee, so 175 max. but like you said, they're accepting everything but paypal, i'm not sure how it works if you pay outside of paypal, i've never had to touch one of those claims.

i get stuck working these claims every night since ebay implemented that form of protection and paypal took over handling their claims, before they used to handle them themselves, but i can see why they have us do them since the payouts would go back into the buyer's accounts anyhow.

AlliSwan

Just one more thing to add regarding the "ethics" of starting a postcard auction at $20 versus Gigi's PT eyeshadow--Gigi started her auction at 99 cents, yes, but the reserve was set at around $50, the price she wanted to get for it, which I believe is more than fair. With a reserve, such as with that auction, she basically IS starting the auction at $50, not 99 cents.

Bettycakes

Postcards/driving up prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliSwan
... if marex/marezx whaever her name is bids on an item, every other bidder can pretty much give up any chance of winning it...

I've been watching these too recently, and I suspect marezx is not a authentic bidder but someone there to drive up the price. There's another bidder too but I can't remember the name right now. Guess we'll see how long it takes for some of these 'only one left' and 'last one' postcards to reappear on ebay.

Either that, or s/he is a very rich, very crazed larger than life MAC addict!

SonRisa

Quote:
Just one more thing to add regarding the "ethics" of starting a postcard auction at $20 versus Gigi's PT eyeshadow--Gigi started her auction at 99 cents, yes, but the reserve was set at around $50, the price she wanted to get for it, which I believe is more than fair. With a reserve, such as with that auction, she basically IS starting the auction at $50, not 99 cents.

What if the seller paid that amount for the postcard though? No one knows if they got it for free or not. Yes they start out free, but I've seen quite a few of the people who frequently bid on those postcards, and win them for a lot of money, turn around and sell the same card months later. And even then, it's not them being greedy unless they buy the card for say $50 and make it "Buy It Now" @ $100. If they paid $50 for it, kept it in mint condition and then needed money fast for whatever reason, they put it on Ebay. It's the bidders that decide what they want to spend. I don't think setting a reserve is ridiculous especially if you paid that amount for the item. I could however be wrong. Maybe the seller did get them for free. Who knows? I like to give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

gigiproductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycakes
I've been watching these too recently, and I suspect marezx is not a authentic bidder but someone there to drive up the price. There's another bidder too but I can't remember the name right now. Guess we'll see how long it takes for some of these 'only one left' and 'last one' postcards to reappear on ebay.

i wanna squeeze her neck in! i hate her..hmmph! ive gotten hip to the game but shes retarded for driving the prices up so high and theres 5 days left on a auction that gets the WTF? but hey if she has the dough why not..makes me want to go in and push the price up even higher for being a dumb ass

AlliSwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonRisa
What if the seller paid that amount for the postcard though? No one knows if they got it for free or not. Yes they start out free, but I've seen quite a few of the people who frequently bid on those postcards, and win them for a lot of money, turn around and sell the same card months later. And even then, it's not them being greedy unless they buy the card for say $50 and make it "Buy It Now" @ $100. If they paid $50 for it, kept it in mint condition and then needed money fast for whatever reason, they put it on Ebay. It's the bidders that decide what they want to spend. I don't think setting a reserve is ridiculous especially if you paid that amount for the item. I could however be wrong. Maybe the seller did get them for free. Who knows? I like to give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

Oh, Risa, I'm not knocking either seller--I was just defending Mona because someone was calling her "greedy" and saying that "at least Gigi started her auction at 99 cents and not 19.99" (again, sorry to bring so many ladies into this, it's just for the sake of example).... I was just reiterating that a) I don't think it's "greedy" to set a price at what you want for an item, especially if that's what the market is paying, and b) Gigi didn't start the auction at 99 cents. I just think that a person should know eBay before calling one person greedy and another person fair for having similar auctions.

SonRisa

Quote:
Oh, Risa, I'm not knocking either seller--I was just defending Mona because someone was calling her "greedy" and saying that "at least Gigi started her auction at 99 cents and not 19.99" (again, sorry to bring so many ladies into this, it's just for the sake of example).... I was just reiterating that a) I don't think it's "greedy" to set a price at what you want for an item, especially if that's what the market is paying, and b) Gigi didn't start the auction at 99 cents. I just think that a person should know eBay before calling one person greedy and another person fair for having similar auctions.

lol i think I just quoted you because you were the first post I saw on the subject. No hard feelings
smiles.gif
I wasn't under the impression that you were saying Mona was greedy or anything. I think just in general, people need to stop judging ebay sellers and buyers for that matter! What's crazy to you, may not be for someone else etc etc. Okay I don't wanna be the one to beat a dead horse lol

gigiproductions

i see it like this..a postcard is paper and while its awesome to collect and i love to..paying above 60 bucks on a single card no matter how rare it is ..seems ridculous TO ME..unless its the BAPE card that mac made..that ill pay money for cuz i Love the sneakers(i own 2 pairs) and clothes and the designer Nigo is an awesome designer..so ill appreciate it for that reason..at least with an e/s u can wear it and put it to use and take it outside..sure the MAC cards look awesome on the walls for decoration etc etc..but as much as i want to get caught up in all the bidding..at the end of the day its PAPER

and yes i set a reserve I know what pretty twisted is worth and it was BNWOB and i didnt in my wildest dream expect that e.s to go to $100 bucks in a day at all..and with a reserve u have a choice whether or not to sell it at the price it ended for..

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigiproductions
at the end of the day its PAPER

So is a $100 bill. It's only worth something because someone (generally the Federal Government) has told you it is! Look what happened to the Iraqi currency when Saddam was toppled. It suddenly became worthless.

Same thing happens if you buy too many RMB notes in China (the RMB or Renminbi is the Chinese unit of currency) and bring them back to the USA. You cannot convert them back into Dollars. They become effectively worthless until you are back in China unless you can find someone who is prepared to buy them off you for their future trip there.

Postcards are the same - inherently they have no value but they can have a value if people are willing to pay something for them. eBay works because the buyers each set their own personal value on something. Whether the item they are bidding on is worth that to someone else or not is rather irrelevant.

gigiproductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
So is a $100 bill. It's only worth something because someone (generally the Federal Government) has told you it is! Look what happened to the Iraqi currency when Saddam was toppled. It suddenly became worthless.

Same thing happens if you buy too many RMB notes in China (the RMB or Renminbi is the Chinese unit of currency) and bring them back to the USA. You cannot convert them back into Dollars. They become effectively worthless until you are back in China unless you can find someone who is prepared to buy them off you for their future trip there.

Postcards are the same - inherently they have no value but they can have a value if people are willing to pay something for them. eBay works because the buyers each set their own personal value on something. Whether the item they are bidding on is worth that to someone else or not is rather irrelevant.

i understand what u mean im, not argung ur point at all..im saying for me a postie doesnt have more than a 40 buck value and if its the mac bape card then ill pay more cuz it has significance to me..not arguing anyones point..people get mad when girls sell a parrot e/s for 50 bucks..i understand its supply and demand..thats how it works ..like risa said i dont want to beat a dead horse
winks.gif

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigiproductions
..like risa said i dont want to beat a dead horse
winks.gif

perhaps not but might I be able to interest you in some Chinese banknotes?
winks.gif

shygirl

?

An automated ebay invoice states that you have to pay $10.55 in shipping. Separately, the items would cost $7.95 to ship. The difference is $2.60.

Would you refuse to pay for an auction if you won a BNWT jacket for .99 and a BNIP make-up lot for .99?

caffn8me

I've had invoices where the amount for delivery didn't match what the total stated on the auction page so I have contacted the seller and they have amended the amount to that which was originally posted. You could always contact the seller and ask them to ship everything separately
winks.gif
- I'm sure they'll reduce the price of combined shipping if you do that because it's much more hassle to ship separately as well as being more costly for them.

Monique0a

I have had seller tack on things like inflated taxes or suddently requiring insurance when the auction stated it was optional. I just paid the auction price plus the stated shipping price and not a penny more, sellers have never said anything to me about it thus far.

sweet8684girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycakes

What I hate is that she's bidding on the same postcards that she's already won, so no one else gets a chance at them!