Makeup Counter Rudeness - I couldn't BELIEVE this lady!

FREYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodMittens
Long story short, after this was all done I went to the bookstore in the mall to meet up with some friends and we went to the food court. The same lady was there, and she was mingling with some of her friends I guess. She sat close to me and my friends and started talking about how she had "told off the gay guy in the makeup counter after he made her up." she said she "didn't want to buy anything, so she made a scene." and then she started cackling. I had told my friends about the situation and how I couldn't believe someone was so mean to the MA, and that he's so sweet and they told me "Don't go over there, it's not a good idea!"

And I walked away. I heard her call me a b*tch and a whore and some other lovely names when she passed me by leaving the food court. I might have been a bit b*tchy, but it really ticks me off when someone does that. Because their life is so great that they can't buy one lipgloss or a eyeshadow as a thank you? Or at least tip?

Okay, rant done.

How did you *NOT* throw a drink in her face?

As soon as I heard her talk about "getting over on the gay guy" (as if telling someone who is gay off is some major accomplishment? What a homophobic POS (it makes me want to punch her in the face!!) I would have tossed a nice large soda in her face, that way she could really enjoy her newly made up face.

What an a**hole. I wish I could have told her off with you. Hurrah!

xsnowwhite

that is so rude! But i love you for saying that to her! I Can't stand it when people are rude but I never speak up.

xphoxbex

YOU GO GIRL!!! I freaking hate shady people like that. Probably think she can run all over people. I'm glad theres people like you who stand up for others!!

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by frocher
I think the policy differs from counter to counter. However, to take time away from an MA, who often needs to make a goal in order to keep her job, with no intention of buying something is selfish and wrong in my opinion.

Pretty sure it's counter wide from corporate. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know the MA's at my counter's all hated the change because of the time they feel they waste doing makeovers for people who just want their makeup done up nice before they go to a party, and have no intention of buying anything. Since the minimum purchase to get a makeover was eliminated. But thats sales... Sometimes you spend a lot of time on a customer for them to say, "Let me think about it."

TBH, I wonder if MAC, and their MA's makes more money now that the minimum purchase for a makeover is gone. Since while you do end up doing makeovers for people who don't want to buy. You also end up doing makeovers for people who previously would have never sat down in the chair because they had to spend to get a seat, and they end up buying product once they see it on their face. Think of the clothing you have bought that you were just "trying on to see how it looks" but had to have once you saw how good you looked in it. Would you have tried it on if there was a minimum $15.00 purchase to use the dressing room? So maybe not haveing a minimum purchase is better on the whole. Even if there are people who take advantage of it.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by frocher
I feel there should be a minimum purchase if you spend 30+ minutes of an MA's time. They need to make goals to keep their jobs. If you want to look nice for a party or special occasion then they should realize that they need to pay for that service. That is time taken away from making goals that they need to meet to remain employed. You are also taking away products from the makeover, so you are not losing money. You are just compensating the MA for his or her time. I guess it is a matter of courtesy imo.

I think it's a sales person's dream that every person they spent time trying to sell, spent some money on something hehe.

TBH I don't see why a makeover that someone schedules in advance should be free. Since their going specifically for a makeover first, MAC purchases 2nd. Your right, the MA should be compensated for their time with eigther a pre-pay, or a purchase.

But if the MA puts you in a chair while they are selling you on product and does a makeover on you that you didn't specifically come to the counter for, I don't think anyone should feel obligated to compensate that MA for their time in that situation.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
But if the MA puts you in a chair while they are selling you on product and does a makeover on you that you didn't specifically come to the counter for, I don't think anyone should feel obligated to compensate that MA for their time in that situation.

Or instead of wasting their time you can say, firmly but politely, "Thank you but no thank you. I'm not interested in this." when it starts, and let them move on to someone who will actually spend money.

COBI

Quote:
...doing makeovers for people who just want their makeup done up nice before they go to a party, and have no intention of buying anything.

Wow, as I read these posts, I am taken aback that people actually do this. Where do they get the idea that it is a free makeup artist for them? I would never think of expecting or even asking a counter MA to do my makeup for a special event while they were working the counter.

That being said, there are many an MA that I would consider asking to do makeup for a fee for special events, but I wouldn't expect it to be during their other job. I certainly wouldn't expect them to provide the service for free at the counter or not. It is one thing to try a color; it is completely different to say "hey, I'm going out, make me look hot."

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Or instead of wasting their time you can say, firmly but politely, "Thank you but no thank you. I'm not interested in this." when it starts, and let them move on to someone who will actually spend money.

How do you know your not interested in it until you've seen it on you? Especially if it's a new product that you don't have expierence with yet?

Lots of sales are made by offering products to people that they didn't intend to purchase when they came into your store. And as a good sales person, you have to assume, and treat everyone like they are a buyer. Employees at MAC are sales people first, MA's second. Putting product on people is just part of their pitch.

I still stand by my original point. If you schedule a makeover, it's good manners to compensate your MA, regardless if the store requires it or not. If the MA is giving you a makeover as part of their pitch to sell you on new products, compensation is optional. Especially since if they did a good job selling you on the products, chances are your going to WANT to buy them.

Shimmer

Quote:
How do you know your not interested in it until you've seen it on you? Especially if it's a new product that you don't have expierence with yet?

Lots of sales are made by offering products to people that they didn't intend to purchase when they came into your store. And as a good sales person, you have to assume, and treat everyone like they are a buyer. Employees at MAC are sales people first, MA's second. Putting product on people is just part of their pitch.

I still stand by my original point. If you schedule a makeover, it's good manners to compensate your MA, regardless if the store requires it or not. If the MA is giving you a makeover as part of their pitch to sell you on new products, compensation is optional. Especially since if they did a good job selling you on the products, chances are your going to WANT to buy them.

Whatever justification works for you.

Raerae

Quote:
Whatever justification works for you.

You must buy everything the telemarketers offer you too huh? Since you have to compensate them for their time right?

Shimmer

Quote:
You must buy everything the telemarketers offer you too huh? Since you have to compensate them for their time right?

Not at all. But it doesn't take a full makeover to realize you do or don't want a product.

That said, be very very glad I'm not manager of a store you'd ever frequent. I would remember you. And, I'd make sure none of my associates ever spent more than 2.8 minutes assisting you with whatever you needed. You wouldn't be worth the time.

Raerae

Quote:
Not at all. But it doesn't take a full makeover to realize you do or don't want a product.

That said, be very very glad I'm not manager of a store you'd ever frequent. I would remember you. And, I'd make sure none of my associates ever spent more than 2.8 minutes assisting you with whatever you needed. You wouldn't be worth the time.

Yes because i never spend more than a few hundred each time I go to MAC... I'm *such* a bad customer. :rollseyes: I'm more like the kind of customer every MA wants to get, because when I do go to MAC I dont just buy 1 pot from a collection, I buy the whole thing. You'd make a terrible manager Shimmer. You ASSUME, way to much. And in sales, thats just lost opportunity.

And makeover is a completely subjective term.

It could be something as simple as a few minutes putting on eyemakeup because I'm not even remoteley interetsed in foundation/blush/lipglass. To a full face. And it's not like MA's don't encourage their customers to try on more and more makeup. If you go in to try on a new type of foundation, more often than not they start offering to do your eyes and cheeks and lips. They offered, who am I to say no? Maybe i'll buy it maybe I won't. Thats a risk you take as a MA, when you choose to offer a customer a product they didn't ask for. But in the end, chances are you'll make more sales that way.

Sales people should never expect to make a sale on every customer they pitch. Thats just silly to expect your customers to always buy from you every time you offer a product. Do you buy every shoe, the person in the women's shoe department puts on your foot? They ALWAYS come out with 1-2 more styles of shoe in addition to the one you asked to try on. Or do you purchase every car you testdrive?

Why is makeup any different?

Shimmer

Quote:
Yes because i never spend more than a few hundred each time I go to MAC... I'm *such* a bad customer. :rollseyes: I'm more like the kind of customer every MA wants to get, because when I do go to MAC I dont just buy 1 pot from a collection, I buy the whole thing. You'd make a terrible manager Shimmer. You ASSUME, way to much. And in sales, thats just lost opportunity.

And makeover is a completely subjective term.

It could be something as simple as a few minutes putting on eyemakeup because I'm not even remoteley interetsed in foundation/blush/lipglass. To a full face. And it's not like MA's don't encourage their customers to try on more and more makeup. If you go in to try on a new type of foundation, more often than not they start offering to do your eyes and cheeks and lips. They offered, who am I to say no? Maybe i'll buy it maybe I won't. Thats a risk you take as a MA, when you choose to offer a customer a product they didn't ask for. But in the end, chances are you'll make more sales that way.

Sales people should never expect to make a sale on every customer they pitch. Thats just silly to expect your customers to always buy from you every time you offer a product. Do you buy every shoe, the person in the women's shoe department puts on your foot? They ALWAYS come out with 1-2 more styles of shoe in addition to the one you asked to try on. Or do you purchase every car you testdrive?

Why is makeup any different?

Don't get mad at ME. I'm only saying how I as a manager would handle you as a customer. No need to be defensive (which you very much are).

You're in your mid 20s, no college education, living alone in a decent place in LA, making enough money to cover all your bills plus pay for your car plus save up and "scrimp and save every dime except the necessities" to cover a 40K dollar cosmetic surgery that you have yet to show anyone, and now you're saying you can afford all that PLUS go into MAC and drop "a few hundred dollars everytime" you go? Wow. I bet there are women on this board who would love to live the life you've created.
th_LMAO.gif

All that aside, managers, and makeup artists, remember customers like you, and for me, in the position as manager of the stores I've been manager of, you're not worth my, or my sales associate's, time. You're more than welcome to go to another place of business to waste their time, mine and my SA's is more valuable, and dealing with a problem customer isn't worth the effort. The loss in business from other customers who get tired of waiting while Sally SelfEntitled is being difficult, as well as the lasting impression Sally makes on those people, isn't worth the money. Trust me, I've sent people marching down the road, telling them where the next place of business who may be more accommodating is, and I have no regrets for that, because it let me and my girls help people who wanted to be there.

Your comparison isn't valid because you're talking about unsolicited attempts (phone calls).

No, you're not beholden to buy anything from a M/A or from a shoe salesman or a car salesman or whatever other far reaching comparison your little brain can come up with next, but they certainly aren't beholden to waste their time on a customer who isn't really interested either. Provide good service, yes. Waste time, no, most certainly not. (Not when working with/for me, at least.)

And, I stand by my original statement in response to:
Quote:

If you're not interested and didn't ask for the full makeover, don't sit there for it. There's certainly nothing wrong with telling an associate "Hey, I don't want the makeover thing, please let me look around and if I find anything I'm either interested in or have questions about, I'll call you over here when I see you're not busy helping someone else." They're not twisting your arm, and they're not body slamming you into the chair. Put on your grown up panties and say "No thanks" if it's not something you want.

Raerae

Quote:
and now you're saying you can afford all that PLUS go into MAC and drop "a few hundred dollars everytime" you go?

You can dig through the hauls section for the few time's i've bothered posting my hauls. Oh but right i made up all that too. And Shimmer, maybe it's just the fact you live in texas, but a few hundred isn't exactly a lot of money sweetheart.

Quote:
All that aside, managers, and makeup artists, remember customers like you,

Yeh, they remember the comission they made off me last time and look forward to my next purchase. Sales people are always nice and sweet when they know their making a sale, and not, "wasting their time" as you put it.

Quote:
Your comparison isn't valid because you're talking about unsolicited attempts (phone calls).

Not all telemarketing is unsolicited. Wrong again Shim =( Notice a trend here yet? Lots of telemarketing is inbound.

Quote:
No, you're not beholden to buy anything from a M/A or from a shoe salesman or a car salesman or whatever other far reaching comparison your little brain can come up with next, but they certainly aren't beholden to waste their time on a customer who isn't really interested either. Provide good service, yes. Waste time, no, most certainly not. (Not when working with/for me, at least.)

And please, tell me exactly how you as the "ALL KNOWING MANAGER" know what customers are interested, and which one's are not? You know whats really cute, I've managed sales too. And by far, the WORST sales people, were the ones who refused to offer product to a customer because they thought they didn't want it. And they best ones, offered additional product to every customer, and didn't assume they were only in the store to buy a replacement for the onr engraved eyeliner they asked for. It's called overcomming objections. Maybe you should teach your SA's about it some time. Just because someone says they don't want something initially, doesn't mean they won't buy it. Saying no is a typical "automatic" response every customer gives when approached by a sales person to buy something they didn't ask for.

SalesPerson: Can i help you find anything?

Customer: No, just looking.

Sound familiar? Just because their "just looking" doesn't mean they aren't looking to buy something. People go in stores for a reason, and generally, it's to spend money. Complicated, I know, that a customer would want to buy something.

Quote:
And, I stand by my original statement in response to:

If you're not interested and didn't ask for the full makeover, don't sit there for it. There's certainly nothing wrong with telling an associate "Hey, I don't want the makeover thing, please let me look around and if I find anything I'm either interested in or have questions about, I'll call you over here when I see you're not busy helping someone else." They're not twisting your arm, and they're not body slamming you into the chair. Put on your grown up panties and say "No thanks" if it's not something you want.

Maybe I want it, maybe I don't. I won't know until after I've seen all the product if it's something I want to buy or not. If I wanted to shop for product w/out trying it on, I would buy from maccosmetics.com And please tell my why I should turn down trying on a new product if a MA helping me offers it? I like trying on new makeup. Again, maybe i'll buy it maybe I won't. If the MA is good, and offering me products that go well with my skin, chances are, if she does a good job with the application, she will make a sale.

Raerae

Quote:
Ok. :shrug:

I know hun. It's difficult to refute common sense. I'll train you whenever you want though. We can do your first sale together.

Shimmer

Quote:
I know hun. It's difficult to refute common sense. I'll train you whenever you want though. We can do your first sale together.

:shrug: Ok.

If you ever somehow manage to display a semblance of intelligence, common sense, wit, charm, social grace, ability, capability, beauty, or credibility, we may be able to talk. Until then, my mother always told me, never get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person, and you, my dear, are woefully unarmed.

So, that said, go back to lurking, and making inane, rude, and sometimes intentionally inflammatory statements, as you always do. That's all you're really equipped for.