Makeup Counter Rudeness - I couldn't BELIEVE this lady!

lalaxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
It's the same people who probably think that you can go to Sephora to touch up your makeup (I've seen a woman go into CVS, open a bottle of nail polish, and correct a chip without buying the bottle). Some people are just really that tacky and cheap

um i do that? i go to sephora to maybe put a little bit of color on that i forgot. and im not 'tacky and cheap'. Thats why theres something there called TESTERS. And yeah, sometimes i dont buy anything there when i put the product on, ahah so?? if they wanted you to buy something there theyd put up a damn sign saying, "If you try the testers, you MUST buy". dont judge people by calling them "Tacky, and cheap" because iM NOT.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaxp
um i do that? i go to sephora to maybe put a little bit of color on that i forgot. and im not 'tacky and cheap'. Thats why theres something there called TESTERS. And yeah, sometimes i dont buy anything there when i put the product on, ahah so?? if they wanted you to buy something there theyd put up a damn sign saying, "If you try the testers, you MUST buy". dont judge people by calling them "Tacky, and cheap" because iM NOT.

People who steal testers from makeup counters aren't exactly the epitome of upper class high society, either.

Touching up your face with testers is just tacky, in most people's opinions.
smiles.gif

lalaxp

haha how is it tacky? it isnt like i actually leave the house saying "oh lets go to sephora today to put on some eyeliner". i use the product maybe because the product faded on my face, like for instance my lipgloss. Maybe i wanna touch it up in Sephora, or try a different color. is that so tacky? Haha wow.

Juneplum

Quote:
haha how is it tacky? it isnt like i actually leave the house saying "oh lets go to sephora today to put on some eyeliner". i use the product maybe because the product faded on my face, like for instance my lipgloss. Maybe i wanna touch it up in Sephora, or try a different color. is that so tacky? Haha wow.

psst.. that's why i carry the lipgloss or lipstick i use that day in my bag - for touch ups if i need it
th_wink3.gif

trying a new color is one thing - touch ups is another imo
smiles.gif

Juneplum

iagree.gif
Gawd yes
icon_eek.gif
I detest using samples/testers.. 494596734690498347 people have touched and played with them so thanks but no thanks - not for me..

SnowWhiteQueen

Quote:

Maybe 'tacky' is the wrong word, but rather absolutely crazily unhygenic. You have no idea where that lipgloss wand has been, and the nasty people who have rubbed it all over! Thats why MAC has their hygenic testers behind the counter (at least all where I live they do), and have also started cutting off the tips of mascaras and lipgloss wands. Some people dont understand how many others have touched that product! Some of the people who have put it on before you - I guarentee that you would not share your lipgloss with them. I wouldnt want to put on a product that I knew 100 others had put on before me!!! Can you say disease?

Beauty Mark

Quote:

Trying a different color is one thing. Going into Sephora or MAC because you weren't responsible enough to throw lipgloss in your bag is another.

It's not the store's duty or my privilege to go use testers because I forgot my lipstick/my eyeshadow faded/etc. Testers are that, to test out a color/formula/brand. If you already know how a color looks on your face, that's not testing it, hence the name

Trunkmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneplum
raerae - enough is enough. clearly you have zero respect for specktra staff and specktra members. we have warned you NUMEROUS times about your behavior and you cease to listen. as you can see, you are now
banned2.gif
for a period of time.

a-ok02rt.gif

COBI

Quote:

But you're not TESTING it to see if you like the color/texture which is what TESTERS are for; you admittedly are using it because you forgot to put some on. As you point out, they're "TESTERS" not "PUBLIC MAKEUP PRODUCTS". If there's nothing wrong with your practice, why buy makeup at all... everyone can just stop by the mall everyday and do their makeup there.

To be honest, when I have forgotten something, I either go without or I DO buy (usually a cheaper drugstore brand since it is just to make do for the day.) It's my fault that I forgot.

And like others say.... yikes, I wouldn't really look at putting some of those testers on my face as a great idea; especially a store like Sephora where they are a lot less controlled than MAC, for example. I am not meaning to slam Sephora, but in my area, the samples (regarding cleanliness) are a lot less clean looking than at MAC.

lipstickandhate

Some people just need to be told that they're acting like jerks sometimes. I think people lose sight of how easy it is to be cruel to others and how ugly it actually is.

Good for you, bloodmittens!

flowerhead

Quote:

well i did that when i was about 14, but i now know as should you that it's digusting to test it on your face...

xphoxbex

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
I am not meaning to slam Sephora, but in my area, the samples (regarding cleanliness) are a lot less clean looking than at MAC.

yes gurl i completely agree with you, at sephora, they just leave it out there and they don't clean it after someone uses it. At mac, they always clean their products (i.e. dip their lipstick in alcohol) after someone has touched it. They even spray their brushes after they use it to apply whatever. Despite the recent events that I have encountered at sephora, I trust MAC alot more than I do sephora.

lara

Quote:

There is a vast difference between testing and using a store as a free make-up buffet.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
There is a vast difference between testing and using a store as a free make-up buffet.

Well, at least she doesn't have the MAs put makeup on her b/c she needs a touch up and bolt afterwards. :X

chocodcocoa

I don't think makeup artists at MAC should EXPECT the customers to buy stuff from him / her just because he / she gave them a makeover.

Now, I don't go out and use people's testers for touch ups or get makeovers because I don't like to have people touch my face, but I went with a friend to get her makeover at MAC once.

So my friend sat down, and the ma started doing her makeup. The ma was very nice and asked her the colors she liked, how dramatic or bright she wanted it, explained to her what she was using on her, etc etc... you could tell she was nervous though.
By the time her makeup was done, it was HORRIBLE. The foundation match was off and everything... and she hated it. She didn't want to buy anything because her face looked like a mask had been painted on. So instead I bought stuff from the ma, because I was there for a new collection anyway.

I know it's not nice to NOT buy anything since the ma wasted her time and everything... but what if the makeup is just awful? I know my friend was upset because she wasted an hour of her time as well, and she had a party to go to, for which she was now going to be late.

This is my personal opinion, and correct me if I'm wrong about this... but shouldn't good makeup artist be able to make their customers want to purchase makeup from them? I haven't had the best experiences with ma's at my store and counter, and I think that for them to expect the customers to buy and help them make their goals reduces their motivation to do a really great job. My friend went there trusting that she will look awesome by the time her makeup is done... but it looked worse than when she did it herself.

I'm not coming up with excuses for those who just go there and get their makeup done for free... but if the ma can't deliver, you shouldn't have to pay for her inability.

jenii

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphoxbex
yes gurl i completely agree with you, at sephora, they just leave it out there and they don't clean it after someone uses it.

Whenever I'm at Sephora, I always take advantage of the fact that they've got spray bottles of alcohol everywhere, and I disinfect lipsticks myself before trying them on, then I clean them off afterwards. Or if I used a brush, I use their bottles of brush cleanser and clean it off before and after I use it.

I hate that there's bottles of alcohol ALL over the place in Sephora and people won't take the extra few seconds to clean something after they've used it.

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenii
I hate that there's bottles of alcohol ALL over the place in Sephora and people won't take the extra few seconds to clean something after they've used it.

The average consumer likely doesn't know about sanitizing makeup. They are familiar with using makeup in their home where they may or may not even clean their brushes. And they may have heard or read that you shouldn't share eyeliner.

Again, maybe not all Sephora's appear the way the one near me does, but I can't speak to their appearance.