Most cliche'd day at MAC ever?

ductapemyheartt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
This is a tad off topic, but reading through everyone's posts made me think of when we have Mask Days at MAC (we're each artist is made up in a mask), or Theme Days, with really excessive makeup, and the customer who has an appointment to get her makeup done *needs* to make sure her makeup won't be as wild and crazy as ours.

Relax woman, you're not going to walk out of here with a mask.

haha, that reminds me of prom last year. i told my friend, abby to get her makeup done by alicia at mac. i described her by saying 'she is the one with all the dots on her face!' [their theme day was 'eye candy']. then, abby's mom was freakin' when she saw alicia and was super scared her precious daughter would turn out with a polka dotted face for prom.

lame.

BunnyBunnyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductapemyheartt
i described her by saying 'she is the one with all the dots on her face!' [their theme day was 'eye candy']. then, abby's mom was freakin' when she saw alicia and was super scared her precious daughter would turn out with a polka dotted face for prom.

Right, because Alicia only knows how to apply polka dotted sprinkle makeup.
WTF2.gif

soco210

These stories are all hilarious, I've never worked at MAC but I did work for Bath and Body Works and people would constantly tell me that they were in Bed Bath and Beyond and then try and use the coupons for it haha. I've also been sworn at in Russian and when I managed a Hollywood Video a drunk woman LITERALLY tried to get over the counter (on a 5'4 woman this counter came up to my chest lol so this was hilarious) and kick my butt. Luckily the counter was high and she was loaded. Over late fees. Wow.
lmao.gif
I do NOT miss retail in any way, shape, or form. I don't miss retail management even more lol

Katura

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
Yeah, I constantly have customers saying, "Remember, I'm black"...Really? Are you sure? I thought you were green!

I hear this at LEAST three times a shift! I understand your skintone, and NO, I'm not trying to set you up with a crappy color...or one that suits me better than it will suit you. But honey, I'm not blind!

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
Yeah, I constantly have customers saying, "Remember, I'm black"...Really? Are you sure? I thought you were green!

II3rinII

my god i love you all!! im reading this thinking, "they must all work at my counter". its so nice to know im not in a twilight zone at work! everything in this thread has happened to me. heres some more:

-this lady comes in reaches over the counter and grabs a handful of sponges, she then procedes to dig the sponges in studio tech nw45, my managers says "ma'am can i help you?" the lady says shes fine and continues to fill the sponges with foundation. my manager says" did you need me to match you for a foundation?", the lady says" i told you im fine! stop staring at me! i work in the mall!! i work in the food court! i aint no theif!" as she sticks her "stolen" foundation sponges in her pocket and walks off. a few weeks later she came back and did the same thing, this time my manager told her not to so she satands there for a second and says "can i have a bag for my sponges then?" my managers like " oh OUR sponges? no you may not!"

-our saturday lash lady; every sat without fail here she comes "hey girl, i need my lashes done, my old lashes had done come off yesturday, now do em good, i need them all week" ew!!! so do you not wash your face? i can barely stand to wear lashes for a whole day, much less a week!!

- "oh i got me a coupon" no you dont, thats for max factor "oh thats not you" no, no its not

-" yall gonna lose me as a customer" why is that "yall dont give gifts with purchase like everyone else" well we dont need to bribe our customers with crappy samples of colors you probably wont use.

-customers that ask for a smokey but natural but sparkley but purple look that looks like a magazine but not like theyre wearing makeup.... what?

- "i want a red lipstick" oh god hear we go, me handing you every shade of red just to hear you say " whoa, thats red" well yeah, and you were expecting?....

-"does this lipglass match my foundation?"

-the people that buy their $50 worth of products to get their makeover for their wedding/prom/special event, only to return everything on monday.

-"photoshoot girls" im sorry sweetheart, just cuz you boyfriend takes pics of you sprawled across his escalade with a digi cam does not make it a photoshoot.

- the girls that come up to the counter and point at the shadows " i got that one, i got that one, i got that one..." ok thanks for the inventory would you like to add to it or what?

sigh, im sure ill come up with more later.

calbear

- "i want a red lipstick" oh god hear we go, me handing you every shade of red just to hear you say " whoa, thats red" well yeah, and you were expecting?....

were you staring over my shoulder yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!! Then after 'we' try on every red MAC has - she picks See Sheer. red???? NOT

II3rinII

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear

were you staring over my shoulder yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!! Then after 'we' try on every red MAC has - she picks See Sheer. red???? NOT

BWHAHAHHA

today every red was "to pink, to blue, to raiseny (is that a word?), to brown, to orange, to bright....." i felt like asking "are you sure you want red?" she ended up getting perrianial rose pro-longwear..... whatever.....

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by II3rinII

-"photoshoot girls" im sorry sweetheart, just cuz you boyfriend takes pics of you sprawled across his escalade with a digi cam does not make it a photoshoot.

II3rinII

insert quick rant here:

its 8:15, we had a busy day at the counter, we had just finished cleaning up when 2 chics walk up "um hi, we were wondering, can you do our makeup for a halloween party tonight?" i say, "well we close at 9, i cant do 2 makeovers, in fact we dont take makeovers after 8, its policy" them (whiny voices) "awww please, cant you just do our eyes or something? its easy costumes..." me, cuz im a sucker and a doormat "ok ill do your eyes sit down" so i do a quick eye and lip on both girls, which technically i didnt have to, but im nice. they look super cute and then only one of them buys a holiday lip palette, the other just waves "bye thanks!" gah!! so nows its 8:45 and i gotta clean all my brushes again and put everything back up. i mean how rude, you come right before close, want to be made over and then you cant even purchase something??!! i feel so used. it happens all the time though, i should be used to it. oh the ones i hate, the makeovers that buy only the lashes after you spent 30 minutes giving them a full face makeover (w/lashes), i had that today as well.

MACa6325xi

If you don't mind me asking, what part of the country is your counter. Your rants are hilarious. At least one of the girls bought something. I thought you had to spend at least $50 to get a makeover. Is that true?

II3rinII

im in jacksonville florida. and yeah, they changed the makeover policy (yet again). now its with a $50 purchase on fri-sun when its a full makeover. some still slip through the cracks. it starts with "can you match me for a foundation?" then shifts into "can you show me how to do my eyes?" and then "can i see how a lipstick would look on me?" before you know it, youve done their face and then they ask you to write everything down so they can come bac on pay-day (yeah right). or we also get those who make appointment via phone and then after they get made over and we ask what we can grab for them they say "oh i have to buy something, i wasnt prepared for that" (lier, we tell everyone, its with a purchase, we just get played alot).

dont get me wrong, we do have some great customers, but with the good comes the bad... and the ugly.

II3rinII

btw this is my favorite question i get asked all the time

"wow, i love your eyeshadow, did you do that?" or "do yall do your makeup? thats purty"

um yeah, we ARE makeup artist, of course i did my eyeshadow....

calbear

and then people wonder why i only test foundation on one side of the face???? you get stuck doing 20 eye demos where someone only buys the lashes and all the people trying to sneak a full face in with the 'can i try this,can you show me that' when the counter is booked solid. AND now you haven't made your goal, you are super tired and the counter is all jacked up and you are supposed to already be closed.

lara

Quote:

Oh god, yes. They always cop an attitude and, nine times out of ten, will tell me that they're also a 'professional' make-up artist. One girl whipped out her phone to show me pictures of her self-styled photoshoot and it was just the biggest hot mess you can imagine.
lol.gif

Quote:
- the girls that come up to the counter and point at the shadows " i got that one, i got that one, i got that one..." ok thanks for the inventory would you like to add to it or what?

Ok, confession: I do that. For me it's less about showing off my terrible addiction as it is trying to quickly mentally stocktake everything. There's a reason why I have four Humid eyeshadow pans stored the cupboard, and it isn't because I like the colour.
greengrin.gif

Red lipstick people just kill me. There's nothing I hate demoing more because people always request my red lips/Gwen Stefani lips but imagine that a bright tomato red matte is going to magically turn into sheer cellophane pink as soon as it reaches their lips, then freak out when they see that it's, um, a bright tomato red matte. They're as bad as the people who take a really sheer pigmented lipgloss, apply the weeniest bit and spread it so it's a micron thick, then bitch about how it has no colour. NO FREAKIN' FOOLIN'.

BunnyBunnyBunny

I dislike how everyone always asks me where other departments are. I understand that I DO work in Macy's so I SHOULD know where everything is, but like... I just don't. It was really funny the other day though. I was cleaning around the shadows and a man walks up to me.
"Hello, where are gourmet foods?"
Me: "Huh... um hold on let me ask my co-worker..." -Asks-
She's like, "Gourmet foods, sir? What do you mean by that? Like a restaurant, or maybe utensils to make food?"
Man: "No, like, food."
Co-worker: "You mean like food to eat?" Honest question right. To investigate if he means like does Macy's sell food.
Man in RUDEST VOICE EVER: "Well, yeah. Generally food IS eaten lady."
Haha, it was so funny. She was just like "No. Macy's doesn't sell food. Sorry." So he says "Well in New York they sell foods like packaged cheeses." And she says in a sort of rude voice "Well this isn't New York" and walks away. It was the funniest thing ever. But maybe you had to be there to find it funny. Haha, I love/hate my job. =) I love the makeup part. But I hate like... retarded rude jerks.

Johnny Wal

Quote:

the only time i do things like that, is when i know i want to buy mac, but i dont know what exactly, and my MA likes me enough that this doesnt bother her, so i tell her to suggest me things to buy, and i will (lol, im sure she likes it more, seeing as she can pick out an entire face and ill be like "ok"), so i just tell her which products i have, if shes going in that direction

ms.marymac

Quote:
im in jacksonville florida. and yeah, they changed the makeover policy (yet again). now its with a $50 purchase on fri-sun when its a full makeover. some still slip through the cracks. it starts with "can you match me for a foundation?" then shifts into "can you show me how to do my eyes?" and then "can i see how a lipstick would look on me?" before you know it, youve done their face and then they ask you to write everything down so they can come bac on pay-day (yeah right). or we also get those who make appointment via phone and then after they get made over and we ask what we can grab for them they say "oh i have to buy something, i wasnt prepared for that" (lier, we tell everyone, its with a purchase, we just get played alot).

dont get me wrong, we do have some great customers, but with the good comes the bad... and the ugly.

I knew you were in the Southeast! ahahaha! Every single one of your rants describes a typical week for me when I worked in that region.

Recently I had a girl try and set an appt and freaked out when she heard about the minimum purchase requirement. She said, "Weeeeell, I was just in last week, got my makeup done for the club and I didn't have to buy anything...why did you guys start charging?" I wanted to say, "Because of people like you."...but no, I just smiled and gave the blank stare. I know it's a part of the job, but MAN I want to know where these people work. Just walk up, take something and say, "Thanks!" and bolt.
wavey.gif

MissMarley

I was realllllly glad I didn't get this girl today...my poor coworker....

She was a pretty pale white girl...and she seriously thought she was J-Lo. She requested a "natural everyday look". Then when my coworker did nice, natural eyeliner, she snatched the pencil out of her hand and did WINGS out to her temples. She then said "I look pale" to the foundation that matched her (and her neck) and went and grabbed a tester of our darkest loose powder, and grabbed the powder brush and went to town ALL over her face- after my coworker had just finished. It made her look like a freaking Oompa-Loompa- one with a white neck. And then she only bought that powder, after my coworker spent over an hour trying to please her.

Bernadette

My co-worker just told me about some weirdo that called the counter today and said "Some cupcake that worked there sold me foundation and put cholride in it and now it's burning my skin!" Then the lady started to scream and cry and started shouthing "The tears are burning my skin!!!!"
WTF2.gif
!!!