pads or tampons?

iheartcolor

the only reason that keeps me from jumping on the idea of the diva cup-type items is what if you need to clean it out and you are in a public bathroom? do you just dump it down the toilet and hope it is clean enough to go back in (without getting messy - i know it is "clean")? Is this how it is always done? I am pretty intrigued though....I like the no landfill waste idea.

captodometer

Tampons during the day: I'm a veterinarian and I can't have dogs sniffing at my crotch all day long! Pads in the evening and overnight.

I tried the Instead cup, which didn't really work. It was hard to insert and almost impossible to remove without making a really gross mess. But the Mooncup sounds interesting: looks a lot more anatomically correct than Instead. Might have to give it a try.

msmack

At first the diva cup can be a bit messy. Once you get the hang of things, it's just as 'clean' as a tampon. If you are in a public place, just dump it out and insert...no mess. You can wipe it out with a piece of toilet paper, if you must. You can leave it in all day though, and empty it in the comfort of your own bathroom. It holds alot.

You can clean it with the stuff they make called 'diva wash', no boiling required.

The cup is very soft and squishy so you can't even feel it. It has a small tab to pull it out. In my experience, the tab is too long, so I trim it.

I don't find it gross at all. Clots or whatever. It's blood. Your own blood. Hell, I dilute it with water and water my frickin garden with it. Call me a hippy, but you ain't ever seen 'buds' so beautiful...if you know what I mean
winks.gif
lol

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmack
At first the diva cup can be a bit messy. Once you get the hang of things, it's just as 'clean' as a tampon. If you are in a public place, just dump it out and insert...no mess. You can wipe it out with a piece of toilet paper, if you must. You can leave it in all day though, and empty it in the comfort of your own bathroom. It holds alot.

You can clean it with the stuff they make called 'diva wash', no boiling required.

The cup is very soft and squishy so you can't even feel it. It has a small tab to pull it out. In my experience, the tab is too long, so I trim it.

I don't find it gross at all. Clots or whatever. It's blood. Your own blood. Hell, I dilute it with water and water my frickin garden with it. Call me a hippy, but you ain't ever seen 'buds' so beautiful...if you know what I mean
winks.gif
lol

Wow.
I guess to each her own lol. My clots do gross me out though. I get ones the size of a small lemon. oh well lol thats just me. I'll stick to tampons
smiles.gif

spectrolite

Quote:

winks.gif
lol

Whoa I'm glad that it's working for you but OMG that description sounds so horrible it's making me feel sick lol! Seriously, based on what I just read I am never, ever going to be using one of those lmao...!
lmao.gif

I reckon the tampon is one of mankind's greatest achievements hehe. When ever someone asks what I'd bring if stranded on a desert island I always answer, lots of tampons and advil lol..That's all I'd need!

Beauty Mark

Quote:

winks.gif
lol

I hear that the menstrual fluid is actually quite good for plants. I boil mine, because boiling kills everything or close enough. It's not like I'm boiling fecal matter.

I was surprised that I can go practically all day without dumping it. I usually have to use 4-5 tampons easily.

I think the Divacup and the other one (I'm blanking on the name) work better than Instead. I had leakage issues with them. I think, shape-wise, it's a better fit to a woman's body, too.

Shimmer

Suggestion for you guys with crazy bad periods:

I don't need birth control because I'm afraid of getting pregnant, but I started it because my dr believes I have adenomyosis. I use the NuvaRing, not a pill, and OH MY GOD has it made a difference. I've only been on it about 5 weeks but instead of having a super duper crazy period where I don't even want to move for three days, I had two days of light spotting and I was DONE.

HAPPY HAPPY day.

It kind of jacks with your hormones (though any BC does) so if you're new to BC, you may feel wonky. Anyway, that's my advice: Talk to your dr about NuvaRing.
smiles.gif

edit:
Raerae just reminded me, NuvaRing is approved for use to reduce the number of periods to 4 a year, with your doctor's approval. Instead of wearing it 3 weeks of the month, you can wear it 4, 4, then 3 and have a period, then do 4, 4, and 3 again, and onward from there.

Raerae

Could also look at Seasonique http://www.seasonique.com/ if you have really bad periods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer

I don't need birth control because I'm afraid of getting pregnant, but I started it because my dr believes I have adenomyosis. I use the NuvaRing, not a pill, and OH MY GOD has it made a difference. I've only been on it about 5 weeks but instead of having a super duper crazy period where I don't even want to move for three days, I had two days of light spotting and I was DONE.

HAPPY HAPPY day.

It kind of jacks with your hormones (though any BC does) so if you're new to BC, you may feel wonky. Anyway, that's my advice: Talk to your dr about NuvaRing.
smiles.gif

~Valerie~

I agree with these ladies saying you should try a sort of BC to lessen the severity of your periods. It's wonderful when you find one that works well with your body.

Personally, I am on Loverall (sp?), just a regular low-hormone BC. My doctor started me on it because I had horrible, week-long heavy periods and killer cramps. Now that I'm on the pill, I only have a light 3 day period. The side effects are non-existant too because the dose is so small, although it's still plenty effective for birth control.

Anyway I just thought I'd throw that out there. In reference to the original topic, my preference is pads because my period only lasts 3 days anyway and I don't like sticking tampons up there :p

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer

HAPPY HAPPY day.

smiles.gif

edit:
Raerae just reminded me, NuvaRing is approved for use to reduce the number of periods to 4 a year, with your doctor's approval. Instead of wearing it 3 weeks of the month, you can wear it 4, 4, then 3 and have a period, then do 4, 4, and 3 again, and onward from there.

I love the NuvaRing. I was using it for reg. birth control and I just loved it. i was so easy and...great lol. I ca't remember how it affected my period though, i wish i could. its a great form of BC though.
smiles.gif

NicksWifey

I've been on birth control since I was 12!!! I just needed something to help with get rid of my bad cramps and heavy ass periods. First, Orthro Tri Cyclen until I was 18, then got switched to Yazmin. Then I started taking Loestrin 24 FE last October and have been on it ever since. The Loestrin is supposed to help shortern your periods, but it doesn't work for me. I have 4 horrible, heavy flow days and them I'm done. I would rather have 5-6 days of a light to moderate flow than 4 heavy days.

I'm going to the ob/gyn this week and am looking into Seasonale or Seasonique.

dollbabybex

Quote:

i go clubbing 2/3 times a week... have you ever worn it out to a club bar? or can you leave it in long enough to see it thru the night til you get home? i know youve kinda answered this... but i was just wondering if youve been out all night with it?

BinkysBaby

80% of the time I wear tampons.
At night, I usually wear pads to give my vagina a little rest.
I couldn't wear pads during the day though cause I hate the idea of having the waste on the outside.
Tampons just seem more sanitary.

Jot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollbabybex
i go clubbing 2/3 times a week... have you ever worn it out to a club bar? or can you leave it in long enough to see it thru the night til you get home? i know youve kinda answered this... but i was just wondering if youve been out all night with it?

it would just depend how heavy your period is. it recomend changing every 4-8 hours but says it can be worn overnight - dont' see the difference between sleep overnight and clubbing
smiles.gif
My period is really light so could easily go all night.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollbabybex

Haha... I guess it would maybe depend on how hard your popping it
winks.gif
I dunno if I would trust a cup in me while danceing... All I can think of is how it might feel sloshing around in the cup haha. Could you imagine if it poped out while on the dancefloor?
lmao.gif
You'd be painting the cub red!