pads or tampons?

*Stargazer*

Diva cup or pads. Tampons are the devil. I hate those thing so much. I have been pregnant or breastfeeding for the better part of the last 6 years though, so I haven't used anything on a regular basis.

I agree that BC is a good option as well and was on the NuvaRing. Unfortunately for me, I'm super hormone sensitive and it made me crazy in the head. If anyone does try it, make sure to keep an eye on yourself, if that makes sense. It took me months to realize that my mental/emotional issues were because of the NR. I wish they hadn't been because I really liked that form of BC.

Shimmer

The first month of the NR was...interesting...for me. I'm on the second month and it's not so bad.

I used the DivaCup at one time but my periods are so heavy it couldn't keep up, or even come close to keeping up. I was using a tampax pearl super plus absorbency tampon every 45 minutes to an hour. :/

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollbabybex
i go clubbing 2/3 times a week... have you ever worn it out to a club bar? or can you leave it in long enough to see it thru the night til you get home? i know youve kinda answered this... but i was just wondering if youve been out all night with it?

I dunno if this is what you were talking about. But I know you're a dancer. And when I read this I keep thinking: if you're on the pole or if you're dancing in some way that would require you to be upside down (or somewhat, you know what I mean)...then wouldn't the blood go back further inside your vagina? Does that make sense? It seems to me like it would go further into your vagina (like deeper inside) and then when you were right-side-up again, it'd come back down, and you'd be dealing with that all night.

Or it could be that I'm just retarded.
hmm.gif

ratmist

I'm still trying to get myself up to using the Mooncup. I'm an environmentalist at heart (hippymamas, shoutout!), but I'm a big ole' puss when it comes to trying the Mooncup. It's not about the blood issue. It's mostly because I tried tampons when I was young, and they hurt so much I never went back to them. I remember one afternoon at a swimming pool, I was in the toilet for about 30 minutes trying to insert a tampon. Hurt so much, I ended up just giving up. I didn't even want to swim at that point because walking hurt enough as it was. Years later I was able to use them successfully, but I was never comfortable with them. Strings fall off, trying to dig around to find it, hard cramps that make me feel like I'm gonna give birth to a freakin rod of cotton....

Once the pad companies started to make pads with wings, I breathed a sigh of relief and never went back to tampons. I am not happy with the environmental consequences though. So I'm trying to work myself up to the mooncup. I live in a flat so I don't have any plants to "water" though, lol...

msmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollbabybex
i go clubbing 2/3 times a week... have you ever worn it out to a club bar? or can you leave it in long enough to see it thru the night til you get home? i know youve kinda answered this... but i was just wondering if youve been out all night with it?

Definatly. I think it depends on how heavy your personal 'flow' is. I am somewhere from light-med flow I guess. Takes awhile for me to fill that cup! You could fit a small egg in the cup, for size and depth reference. It even has measurements on the side of the cup if you ever wanted to know how much was in there. The largest measurement given is a 1/2 ounce. I think you would need to test it out for a few cycles to get a better understanding of how much you actully bleed. It really gives you awareness of your own body and cycle. Then, if all goes right, you could most certainly go clubbing in it (hey, I've foam partied in it!). Sometimes I use a panty liner with it, just incase. But 99% of the time it's leak-proof smooth sailing. HTH!

*I have only used the 'Diva Cup.' I am not sure what a 'Moon Cup' is...maybe it's different... I will check that out as well*

msmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmist
I'm still trying to get myself up to using the Mooncup. I'm an environmentalist at heart (hippymamas, shoutout!), but I'm a big ole' puss when it comes to trying the Mooncup. It's not about the blood issue. It's mostly because I tried tampons when I was young, and they hurt so much I never went back to them. I remember one afternoon at a swimming pool, I was in the toilet for about 30 minutes trying to insert a tampon. Hurt so much, I ended up just giving up. I didn't even want to swim at that point because walking hurt enough as it was. Years later I was able to use them successfully, but I was never comfortable with them. Strings fall off, trying to dig around to find it, hard cramps that make me feel like I'm gonna give birth to a freakin rod of cotton....

Once the pad companies started to make pads with wings, I breathed a sigh of relief and never went back to tampons. I am not happy with the environmental consequences though. So I'm trying to work myself up to the mooncup. I live in a flat so I don't have any plants to "water" though, lol...

Perhaps you could make your own washable pads? I buy handmade panty liner ones and they are great. There is patterns floating around the internet on how to create such things. But, there are also sites that you can buy them at. Thats one good way to make less waste. They are comfortable as hell too! Flannel and cotton...yay! It really is a bit more of a commitment though, with washing and such. Worth it, IMHO!

I wish you luck with the Moon Cup!
smiles.gif

Here's a great site for re-useable pads! www.lunapads.com

masad

no tampons!! the only thing that goes up their is my husband's thing =)) lol..
pads are okay for me..i guess i would be worried if i had to stuck cotton up my vagina!! and i always have heavy flow.. i cant imagine it can soak that!! might start dripping
greengrin.gif

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by masad
no tampons!! the only thing that goes up their is my husband's thing =)) lol..
pads are okay for me..i guess i would be worried if i had to stuck cotton up my vagina!! and i always have heavy flow.. i cant imagine it can soak that!! might start dripping
greengrin.gif

Thats what the heavy duty tampons are for!

V15U4L_3RR0R

I'm a pads girl. I find them more comfy and I always end up forgetting that I'm wearing a tampon so I take it out later than I should which scared me the first couple of times I did it because I don't want TSS. So Pads work best for me. Never tried a menstrual cup though. But they kind of freak me out.

dollbabybex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
I dunno if this is what you were talking about. But I know you're a dancer. And when I read this I keep thinking: if you're on the pole or if you're dancing in some way that would require you to be upside down (or somewhat, you know what I mean)...then wouldn't the blood go back further inside your vagina? Does that make sense? It seems to me like it would go further into your vagina (like deeper inside) and then when you were right-side-up again, it'd come back down, and you'd be dealing with that all night.

hmm.gif

i meant clubing not working...but yeah i know what you mean!sounds messy!!!
smiles.gif

kimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg
Definitely tampons. I started out on pads, but once I discovered tampons I completely switched. It's so much more comfortable, and you don't have to deal with waking up in the morning and finding that your 'diaper' failed and you have to wash the sheets yet again.

same here. i could never go back to pads unless that's absolutely all there is in the house (which happened once and i threw a damn fit.) i'm all about plastic applicatours, too. there was a time that i thought i'd go with the cheap cardboard ones because i was way strapped for cash...bad idea.

thestarsfall

Tampons unless in emergencies. Even if they make my cramps worse. I am weird in that I usually prefer actual pain to general discomfort. So I would rather have the pain of cramps than the discomfort of the diaper feeling and the feeling of it just sitting there...

and also I always feel like it's not tight enough...I like my underwear to be form fitting and with pads I always feel like I have to hike up my panties otherwise its all saggy around the bum...not fun...

tomodachi_usagi

lmao i completely understand thats why i dont do pads. did in the very beginning but my friend brought me a tampon on day cuz we were going swimming and i never went back. playtex sport for me. iono they just work really well for me. but i do wanna try that cup thingy, just seems a lil iffy you kno, its a cup up your cooch... iono

jenee.sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmack
I don't find it gross at all. Clots or whatever. It's blood. Your own blood. Hell, I dilute it with water and water my frickin garden with it. Call me a hippy, but you ain't ever seen 'buds' so beautiful...if you know what I mean
winks.gif
lol

that shit cracked me up dude LOL i really laughed out loud! hahahaaaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC

hmm.gif

dude....very good question!!! if u did a cartwheel or sumthing, then all ur blood will just go straight back into ur body, right?! can someone who uses the diva cup clear this up please?? it's pretty much common sense, b/c it's not a "there a way in but no way out" kinda cup. so the blood can just spill back out into ur body if u were upside down. but i just want this cleared up if someone can answer this question. TIA!

stellarx1587

I used to use pads because of that same fear... but once I switched... it was SOOO much more comfortable and it my opinion a bit neater. I remember when I was using pads I was always paranoid about "leakage"... hahaha which was another reason I switched.