Plastic surgery as a graduation gift?

hoemygosh

you should just accept the way you are. real people wont care about fake boobs or fake anything. and Raerae, you are really pro plastic surgery. there is no need to be perfect. unless you are really that insecure, then surgery probably wont change that.

Dark_Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoemygosh
you should just accept the way you are. real people wont care about fake boobs or fake anything.

I think most people get plastic surgery to make themselves happy. They're the ones living with what they perceive as a flaw. Heh, and I agree that real people could give a damn about whats fake or real on you...

If you have the confidence to be happy with how you are (whether it requires plastic surgery or not), that's what stands out to people. Or at least it should.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
This has nothing to do with teaching young girls that their worth is in their appearance (plenty of MEN use PSurgery themselves). It's about helping people have better self esteem.

I'll say it straight out, I am REALLY AGAINST the casualization of cosmetic surgery and enhancement that is so common in Western society these days, especially in N. America. While it's great to build up someone's self-esteem, I DON'T think surgergy is the way to go about it.

Surgery, imo, is fine if you need reconstructive help (like had a breast augmentation after breast cancer or something, or damaged your nose in an accident), but just going in and fixing a little bit here, a little bit there, I am against it. Why? Because it's focusing pressure on people, women especially, to conform to some kind of ideal set by society as to what is beautiful, and striving towards an ideal that , let's face it, about 95% of people cannot or will never attain naturally. I have great respect for nature and the human body, and changing it for surgery to look like something else, I don't think it is necessary or desirable in the least. And I do think it is objectifying women, because nearly all women for example that have breast OPs end up with huge C or DD cups...which is not the average breast size for women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
Realistically, everyone could benefit from a little nip tuck, no one is perfect, and beautiful people get surgery all the time. But not getting surgery if you REALLY need it is silly. And some people really benefit from a normalization of a physical feature thats well, not.

This comment of yours is really bad, imo. To recommend that people SHOULD have surgery to fix something that isn't "perfect" goes so far beyond good taste. You know, some of us actually have enough self-esteem to love our bodies the way they are, imperfections and all, to not feel the need to go under the knife. Why is it silly to NOT have surgery if you have flaws? This is how humans look, only a small percentage of humans actually have flawless genes when it comes to beauty, I'd say everyone falls somewhere in between. It seems like you are recommending that our society turns in a legion or clones that all have perfect figures and face. Well, no thanks to that!!!

Beauty Mark

Quote:
only a small percentage of humans actually have flawless genes when it comes to beaut

I don't think a single person who alive or dead is flawless. What constitutes beauty is always varying.

Shimmer

Sorry, but when I can't buy a shirt, no matter what brand, what size, what design, what line, without having it tailored because I've got shoulders but no tits, a breast augmentation is something I'd seriously consider.
It's just as much about aesthetics as it is about practicality, in my case. I don't want tits that fall out of swimsuits. I don't want to grace a Hooters calendar. I simply want to have a proportional body. *shrug*

MiCHiE

By all means, I truly think a lot of women have a case....the question is: Should it be done at 16-17 years old?

Shimmer

IMO, no, but only because at 16-17 there's not enough life experience to truly grasp the magnitude of the decision. Then again, that depends on the procedure.
A nose job for a 17 year old with a huge nose? Sure. Because that's something that's never going to change. Boobs because she thinks it's a good idea? Not so much.

Beauty Mark

Do 16-17 year olds have the maturity to understand the magnitude of any cosmetic surgery? Even if your nose is going to stay the same, it's still major surgery and aftercare.

angi

I don't think that it should be done at 17/ 18. Not only is your body still changing, but also the amount that you mature mentally from this time to early 20s is really astonishing.

I think if someone had given me the option to get breast augmentation at 18, I probably would have gone for it (I'm about an A cup). Now, at 23, there's no way.

There is nothing wrong with having small breasts, and while I completely understand all of the reasons that people give for wanting breast augmentation (yes, the not being able to find tops that fit properly is annoying!) there also lots of advantages to having small breasts, which over time I have come to appreciate.

1) My breasts aren't going anywhere. So when I'm older, and women with larger breasts are slowly beginning to sag, mine will still be pretty perfect
2) I don't have to wear a sports bra to the gym- it doesn't hurt me to run.
3) Men talk to my face, not my cleavage. This means I can actually get them to appreciate my INTELLIGENCE (well, sometimes lol!)

little teaser

i can totally understand you guys concern about surgery affecting the changes of the body and its development, i had those concerns too when i had my surgery because, i at the time did want to have one more kid and was concern about my breast changes during pregnacy, honestly though there really wasnt a diffrence other than my boobs went from a c to a dd during pregnacy and i still produce milk.. there was no negative and the positive thing was my boobs snap right back with no sagging.
honestly. with all plastic surgery it doesnt last forever 5-10 years depending on the procedure you get so thats another reason it is good to wait as long as you can so you have min or no matinence
one good thing about breast implants though is once you buy them the company does give you a 10 year warranty to replace them if something were to go wrong and they pay some of your surgery exspense i forgot how much.

little teaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Have you ever seen a woman with a sagging a cup? It's not pretty. :/

i agree^ my friend has small sagging a cups from child birth that look like little shrivel pruns

Beauty Mark

angi- On hot, hot summer days people with small chests can go around without bras or get enough support from those shelf-bra shirts. That's a huge benefit.

spectrolite

Haha! Well this tale of graduation boobies just seems so stupid and extremely shallow.
jerkit.gif
How about using that money to go towards education or a new place, or a holiday to Europe with friends, or something useful? Wow, new boobies for graduation..."Thanks mum and dad! Now I can face the world with confidence and there is nothing I can't handle with these new boobies of mine."

It just seems odd to reward her education achievement by giving her a breast augmentation. Is that really thier way of showing her how proud they are? It seems like they are just catering to the shallow whim of a juvenile. I suppose I grew up in a really practical (...poor) family who didn't have the money to pay for extravagences like plastic surgery so I can't really appreciate thier situation.

Oh yes, who am I to judge her and her brand new graduation boobies... Well no one special, but I'm allowed to have an opinion too!

>_<

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
This comment of yours is really bad, imo. To recommend that people SHOULD have surgery to fix something that isn't "perfect" goes so far beyond good taste. You know, some of us actually have enough self-esteem to love our bodies the way they are, imperfections and all, to not feel the need to go under the knife. Why is it silly to NOT have surgery if you have flaws? This is how humans look, only a small percentage of humans actually have flawless genes when it comes to beauty, I'd say everyone falls somewhere in between. It seems like you are recommending that our society turns in a legion or clones that all have perfect figures and face. Well, no thanks to that!!!

Actually my comment there was more directed at people with ABNORMAL physical features. I'm sorry, but if you have a huge nose, or a huge chin, or whatever, it's not something like a big forhead, that yuo can just grow bangs, and cover up to normalize the proportions of your face. I think surgery in these cases can be VERY positive.

The ONLY people i've seen, who can OWN a huge nose or chin, are men. We had a guy at one of my jobs who had a big nose, but he OWNED it. Up in his cube, he had a sign that said, "Big Nose Knows." But face it, no woman is going to be able to pull that off. Same with a big chin. If you look like your Jay Leno's daughter, your probably VERY self conchious of it. Simply put, having abnormally large physical features is not attractive on a girl. You can try to tell these people to love themselves, but chances are, there hyper aware of that part of their body, and focus on it.

Also what about people who got teased for having huge ears, or a huge nose, or a huge chin or whatever? You know who those kids were. They all had nicknames at school, and people made a POINT to make them aware that they looked different. So surgery may be very good way to eliminating a constant reminder of something that was painful for a big part of their life.

Shimmer

I find it highly ironic that on a board dedicated to makeup people are indignant about superficiality.

*Stargazer*

I think you'll find that a LOT of reputable plastic surgeons WON'T perform a breast augmentation on a girl that is still in her teens. There are too many changes that can take place in that area in your early 20s.

Myself, I need the opposite. I am in very desperate need of a breast reduction. But I'm not going to do it until I am finished having children and breastfeeding. Why do something only to have to go back under the knife a few years later? And many reputable plastic surgeons would advise me to wait as well.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoemygosh
you should just accept the way you are. real people wont care about fake boobs or fake anything. and Raerae, you are really pro plastic surgery. there is no need to be perfect. unless you are really that insecure, then surgery probably wont change that.

I'm Pro people doing whatever they want to themselves to make themselves happy. I think it's rather judgemental of people to call people who decide to get surgery, or who want it, shallow and superficial. And not all surgery involves, "fake" implants, be it chin, nose, boobs, cheek, whatever.

Not everyone is getting nip tuck to be perfect. There are many people who are getting nip-tuck to be normal. And it's VERY judgemental of people who take for granted being, "normal" to tell those people who aren't, to "deal with it, just accept the way you are."

Yes, for a lot of people, surgery wont do much to make their lives better. Getting a bump taken off your nose isn't going to make people like you any more or less. Getting bigger boobs isn't going to suddenly make you popular. But. If it helps their self esteem, just a little, and makes them happier, and more confident, whats the problem?

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by angi
3) Men talk to my face, not my cleavage. This means I can actually get them to appreciate my INTELLIGENCE (well, sometimes lol!)

Lies!

Even with an A cup, guys look at my chest.